[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

SCANsat is technically supported without Toolbar, any "start scan" button will activate the small map which can be used to open all other windows, but only barely.

If you want stock toolbar support I suggest starting here.

Ouch, I was just asking since the front page tutorial has a getting started (no toolbar) caption that states "right click on any scanner and click the OPEN/CLOSE button to launch the small map" Since I wasn't seeing this I didn't know if the tutorial was outdated or my install was bad. I can deal either way.

@explorerklatt, no option on the pod either.

Just got this to use with karbonite, but it isn't giving an option to make a karbonite map. Karbonite seems to be installed correctly and working, and SCANsat also seems to be working fine otherwise. However, when I try to press the "ORS Resources" button, it says "No resources found." Which I'm finding particularly peculiar, given that the karbonite ka-100 detection array gives the options to start and stop SCANsat resource scans...

Anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?

Just got this to use with karbonite, but it isn't giving an option to make a karbonite map. Karbonite seems to be installed correctly and working, and SCANsat also seems to be working fine otherwise. However, when I try to press the "ORS Resources" button, it says "No resources found." Which I'm finding particularly peculiar, given that the karbonite ka-100 detection array gives the options to start and stop SCANsat resource scans...

Anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?

Karbonite doesn't use ORSX anymore. The .90 update to the USI mods moved to regolith. Get the dev version of scansat 9.0RC4. It should show regolith resources.

I've had a question for awhile that I finally am getting around to. I love scansat, however I have consistently found throughout my using it over various versions that the big map rendering is painfully slow for me. From watching youtube vids etc it does seem to have a bit of a render time, but for me it is noticably slower. I have a decent computer that I think should be able to handle it fast enough, 12GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Nvidia GTX660.

Is there anything I can/should be doing to improve big map rendering performance?

I've had a question for awhile that I finally am getting around to. I love scansat, however I have consistently found throughout my using it over various versions that the big map rendering is painfully slow for me. From watching youtube vids etc it does seem to have a bit of a render time, but for me it is noticably slower. I have a decent computer that I think should be able to handle it fast enough, 12GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Nvidia GTX660.

Is there anything I can/should be doing to improve big map rendering performance?

The rendering is affected by CPU, which you didn't list.

Hey all, looking for a little help here. Since the .90 update, I have not had any functionality with SCANSat. I have upgraded to the newest version (even tried the dev version) and not had any results. I have done a reinstall, cleaned up mods, and still nothing. "[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" is the error report I'm getting. All the parts are there but not working. The only toolbar tab that does anything just pulls up the menu, but none of the options have any effect. I've scrolled through the posts since the last update, but I'm not seeing anything applicable to me. Right-clicking pulls up the part menu with the start scan and analyze options, but they do not work. Any thoughts? I'm running some other mods and have started to pull them one-at-a time, but no luck so far. Is there a known issue with some other mod I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help, I REALLY dig this mod and am holding my game until I can get this resolved.

update: Ok, scansat is working in sandbox and science career, but not Career. What happens when I click "start scan" from the menu is that the menu changes as if it is working, but there is no animation. Also, it is giving me all the science I would get from a scan instantly and the toolbar menu is still not working at all, so no small map, no large map, no instrument tab, and no options. Sandbox and Science; works perfectly, Career: all the weird stuff I described above. To clarify, I have unlocked the parts, they are showing as purchased in the science tab, and I can put them on spacecraft, just not make them work.

Thanks again.

Edited by mikeclod
more info

Add:

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at SCANsat.SCANui.gui_show () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) Callback:invoke_void__this__ ()

at RenderingManager.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This is my error log from the file.

#1 On the new v9 big map, with the "export to PNG" button, it creates filenames like:

Minmus_elevation_1263x631_KavrayskiyVII.png

If I have "resources" checked off on the left-side of the big map, it should include the resource name in the filename. So "Minmus_elevation_1263x631_KavrayskiyVII_Karbonite.png"

#2 There should be a button next to Map Type which says "Map Size" with some useful pre-defined sizes (but still allow the resize of the window). Useful sizes might be:

640x320, 800x400, 1200x600, 1500x750, 1800x900, 2400x1200

Just a modest request, can the version number on KerbalStuff be changed to "v8.1"? Right now it's "8.1" and the CKAN indexing bot gets terribly confused with the change in version format¹, as the previous one was "v8.0". (Besides changing the version number, no other changes are required.)

Many thanks,

~ Paul

¹ Technically it's just fine with the version format, but we use the Debian version comparison routine, which means "v8" is greater than just "8".

I try versions 8.1 and 9.4.1 - both not working. I clicked on scansat button in toolbar, but interface did not appearing.

I'm currently having the same problem. Also tried both versions. I'm still in the process of determining whether it's a conflict of some sort. I can't find anything in the logs realting to SCANSat which would indicate any problem. Everything seems to load properly, but ingame nothing happens when I attempt to open the maps or when I attempt to start a scan.

update: Ok, scansat is working in sandbox and science career, but not Career. What happens when I click "start scan" from the menu is that the menu changes as if it is working, but there is no animation. Also, it is giving me all the science I would get from a scan instantly and the toolbar menu is still not working at all, so no small map, no large map, no instrument tab, and no options. Sandbox and Science; works perfectly, Career: all the weird stuff I described above. To clarify, I have unlocked the parts, they are showing as purchased in the science tab, and I can put them on spacecraft, just not make them work.

Thanks again.

This is most likely being caused by another addon that uses a scenario module in career mode, but not in other game modes. Tarsier Space Tech has had this problem for a while, but it's most likely not the only one. I'll need full log files to tell you more, not just excerpts.

I try versions 8.1 and 9.4.1 - both not working. I clicked on scansat button in toolbar, but interface did not appearing.
I'm currently having the same problem. Also tried both versions. I'm still in the process of determining whether it's a conflict of some sort. I can't find anything in the logs realting to SCANSat which would indicate any problem. Everything seems to load properly, but ingame nothing happens when I attempt to open the maps or when I attempt to start a scan.

Need more info.

Just a modest request, can the version number on KerbalStuff be changed to "v8.1"? Right now it's "8.1" and the CKAN indexing bot gets terribly confused with the change in version format¹, as the previous one was "v8.0". (Besides changing the version number, no other changes are required.)

Many thanks,

~ Paul

¹ Technically it's just fine with the version format, but we use the Debian version comparison routine, which means "v8" is greater than just "8".

I'll have to bug SirCmpwn about changing the version title, since I can't update that myself. I might also update SCANsat again if Kethane gets updated and is working with SCANsat again; I'll make sure to get the version number right in subsequent updates.

#1 On the new v9 big map, with the "export to PNG" button, it creates filenames like:

Minmus_elevation_1263x631_KavrayskiyVII.png

If I have "resources" checked off on the left-side of the big map, it should include the resource name in the filename. So "Minmus_elevation_1263x631_KavrayskiyVII_Karbonite.png"

#2 There should be a button next to Map Type which says "Map Size" with some useful pre-defined sizes (but still allow the resize of the window). Useful sizes might be:

640x320, 800x400, 1200x600, 1500x750, 1800x900, 2400x1200

#1 is a good idea and should be easy to implement. I'll add it to the next update.

I've gone back and forth about allowing for this kind of either text box input to specify map size, or allowing for a handful of predetermined sizes. This might be especially useful for saving exported maps.

Will the resources issue get fixed in 8.1 or will I have to wait for the next release tried 9.4 and had a few problems none of the anomalies would show up so went back to 8.1 but would really like the resources to work

Nope. It takes too much to properly change over the resource system to handle the multiple configs possible for each resource type (the dev version also needs to be updated to handle this in some cases). There have already been many changes to how resources are handled between v8 and v9, so I'm not going to bother making those changes again.

What was the problem with v9? The anomalies not showing up for the BTDT? Was this after scanning the area with the multi-spectral scanner? I don't think they will show up with the BTDT until you do that.

Thanks for the reply and I guessed it would be a lot of work, I scanned with a multispectral scanner and they didnt show up, but I have now downloaded the latest dev release 9rc4.1 and placed it into a vanilla install and its working fine either i dint install it properly or i had a conflict, so ignore my last previous comment

Did you put up a satellite and scan the planet first?

lol, I thought I was doing the scanning with my spaceplane. I actually put all the cameras and sensors I could find to my plane, and was infuriated that it still didn't work.

That explains a lot, I guess. How do I exactly send a satellite to orbit? Does altitude matter?