[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

There is no option to deploy in either VAB or in flight on any scanSAT module, I don't have the contract configurator or the toolbar installed. When you hover over the scanSAT modules in VAB right clicking doesn't show any info whereas other people I know they get the min/max effective distances and whatnot, I don't get any of that.

I fixed it somehow, I removed it completely started game started a new game after moving my save files to a folder outside KSP and then shutting game down, reinstalling SCANsat and starting another new game, they have extended info panel now and deploy, I deleted those saves and put my old save back in and its working like a charm, rather weird fix, I'm just glad its working again.

Version 17.0 of SCANsat is out for testing purposes. It is very much in an unfinished state, and won't be completed for some time, so you probably don't want to use it for anything other than testing.

There is much more information in the release post, along with screenshots, comparisons, and a discussion of the garbage creation and wastefulness of the current version of SCANsat:

Let me know if anyone tries it out and has any suggestions, finds any bugs, or has any other comments (but please keep them in the other thread).

• 2 weeks later...

Any help would be good.

So first of all love this mod right? :)

My latest issue is for some reason whenever I enable the popup scansat map and enable the overlay control the game turns super laggy...never happened before..also the overlay does not show up...see attached screen shot.

c7qIALi.png

Please help

Edited by jebalicious
Problem came back

Long time ScanSat user here (although not played KSP nearly enough lately!). Some friends and I are doing a Mission Control challenge soon and I want to integrate SCANsat into the gameplay. Our "mission" is to go find an anomaly and land near it. Of course, we want to locate out target using SCANsat but we want the resulting maps to be visible to the "mission control" team, outside of KSP. Other telemetry we'll get through Telemachus, but I'm wondering - does anyone know if SCANsat maps/data can be accessed outside KSP? Ideally via a telemachus frontend, but opening a file in the KSP/mod direction or some other method would be OK too...

I am using the ScanSat mod on a highly modded install and get some NREs, when reverting my scan satellite to launch / switching to a kerbin scansat (but not when switching to the identical minmus scansat) that seem not related to ScanSAT, but to the resource system.

Cause I don't really know where to ask, I wanted to ask if someone has seen this NREs before... do I miss any resource definitions maybe?

Spoiler

170220T035647.340 [INFO] [HighLogic.LoadScene] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to FLIGHT =====================
170220T035647.391 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.ScaleModList] ScaleModList: listSize 615 maxListSize 808
170220T035647.401 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.ScaleModList] ScaleModList: listSize 615 maxListSize 808
170220T035647.408 [INFO] [ModuleGPS.Update] [RESOURCES] Error updating ModuleGPS
170220T035647.408 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
   at ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay ()
   at ModuleResourceScanner.Update ()
170220T035647.413 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.415 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.417 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.419 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.420 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.422 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.424 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.426 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.428 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.429 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.431 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.433 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.434 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.436 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035647.438 [EXCEPTION] [ModuleResourceScanner.CheckAbundanceDisplay] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
170220T035650.593 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp.OnDestroy] KbApp.OnDestroy Unowned Info
170220T035650.595 [INFO] [PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
170220T035650.599 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp.OnDestroy] KbApp.OnDestroy Planet Info
170220T035650.601 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.UIApp.OnDestroy] [UIApp] OnDestroy: ResourceDisplay
170220T035650.603 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.ScaleModList] ScaleModList: listSize 615 maxListSize 808
170220T035650.607 [INFO] [InfernalRobotics.Gui.WindowManager.OnDestroy] IR: [GUI] destroy
170220T035650.613 [INFO] [InfernalRobotics.Gui.WindowManager.OnDestroy] IR: [GUI] OnDestroy finished successfully
170220T035650.614 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.UIApp.OnDestroy] [UIApp] OnDestroy: CurrencyWidgetsApp
170220T035650.615 [INFO] [KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.ScaleModList] ScaleModList: listSize 615 maxListSize 808

Edited by Jebs_SY

@martinezfg11 Yes, you have to add the field CheatMapFill = True (or something like that :D) to the color config file in the Resources folder, then an option will show up in the settings menu. Future versions will have more fine-grained options for filling in maps.

@jebalicious Do you have log files, or do you see lots of log spam when the problem is happening? I'm guessing that there is an error somewhere that is filling up the log file, which can severely affect performance.

@Alexandicity You can export maps with the little camera button in the bottom-right of the map window. But it will only export the map texture itself, not any of the little icon overlays. You'll have to manually mark the maps.

@Jebs_SY It's hard to say what the problem is without full logs. Depending on your SCANsat resource settings it may be possible that something is going wrong with this mod, but it looks like a problem with the stock resource display module.

@Agustin Which version is "latest"?

Hello. I have trouble with BTDT. Back in the days it used to show a nice 3d rendering of the anomaly.

Today I decided to go to all the anomalies in Kerbin system (nudged by my wife's curiosity) and check the new ones.

Spent my science on planes and was about to go, but this hits me.

When BTDT is off I get info on the instruments.
When it is ON, however I get nothing. 
Back when I used it and I remember it did a nice green line 3d rendering of the objects. Even KSC.

How can I fix that, so it will work again and have nice weekend ?

AMEzFAm.png

0hAveY2.png

But it seems that it actually marked the anomaly as visited (green dot) as you can see here.

64aAEEE.png

Hope there is a fix. Thank you !

How do I SAR map Venus at a reasonable rate?

Three sats up and i got to the 40% range mostly by inclination change. but enough fuel to do more is not happening.

I'm going to send one more sat and call it good but before I send it I'm trying to figure out how to get a mapping orbit that works.

Venus has a very minimal rotation (1.8m/s) so anything polar I set up does not seem to move.

Is this a simple wait out the 243 day Venusian day?

Edited by Bornholio
spelling

1 hour ago, Bornholio said:

How do I SAR map Venus at a reasonable rate?

Three sats up and i got to the 40% range mostly by inclination change. but enough fuel to do more is not happening.

I'm going to send one more sat and call it good but before I send it I'm trying to figure out how to get a mapping orbit that works.

Venus has a very minimal rotation (1.8m/s) so anything polar I set up does not seem to move.

Is this a simple wait out the 243 day Venusian day?

I'd just wait out the day.  Anything else is going to involve nasty plane changes and Venus is big enough that those are very, very expensive.  Unless you've got something better than chemical rockets forget it.

On 2/26/2017 at 5:47 AM, DMagic said:

@martinezfg11 Yes, you have to add the field CheatMapFill = True (or something like that :D) to the color config file in the Resources folder, then an option will show up in the settings menu. Future versions will have more fine-grained options for filling in maps.

@jebalicious Do you have log files, or do you see lots of log spam when the problem is happening? I'm guessing that there is an error somewhere that is filling up the log file, which can severely affect performance.

@Alexandicity You can export maps with the little camera button in the bottom-right of the map window. But it will only export the map texture itself, not any of the little icon overlays. You'll have to manually mark the maps.

@Jebs_SY It's hard to say what the problem is without full logs. Depending on your SCANsat resource settings it may be possible that something is going wrong with this mod, but it looks like a problem with the stock resource display module.

@Agustin Which version is "latest"?

@DMagic I ended up doing a fresh install also dont have logs but I do know what is conflicting with it and its Orbital Survey Plus.  Doesn't say its a conflict in CKAN so may just be my setup.  Anyway I'll leave orbital survey plus out.

On 2/27/2017 at 0:24 PM, Rybikson said:

Ideal altitude for the radar is to be corrected to 75km:
https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat#top-10-parts-and-sensor-types

Unless you RSS!  i was sending sats to Stock altitudes using the KSPedia information when the Information in VAB was basically x10ish the listed altitudes. all the while wondering when it gave me tiny strips of land and said sub-optimal.

Greetings! I've used ScanSat for quite awhile now but am coming back to KSP after a bit of a break. I noticed Squad has added in KerbNet now so my questions are: Do ScanSat and KerbNet work side by side? Is ScanSat unnecessary now that KerbNet exists or should I ignore KerbNet and continue using ScanSat as normal? 

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Bandus said:

Greetings! I've used ScanSat for quite awhile now but am coming back to KSP after a bit of a break. I noticed Squad has added in KerbNet now so my questions are: Do ScanSat and KerbNet work side by side? Is ScanSat unnecessary now that KerbNet exists or should I ignore KerbNet and continue using ScanSat as normal? 

Thanks!

They work fine side by side. KerbNet does not have all the functionality of SCANsat (Like the progressive mapping or UI options, and a lot of other things I can think of right now). If you want a more realistic setup, go with SCANsat. You'll still be able to access KerbNet if you want.

Just now, akron said:

They work fine side by side. KerbNet does not have all the functionality of SCANsat (Like the progressive mapping or UI options, and a lot of other things I can think of right now). If you want a more realistic setup, go with SCANsat. You'll still be able to access KerbNet if you want.

Thank you!

On 2/26/2017 at 8:08 AM, Mapoko said:

Hello. I have trouble with BTDT. Back in the days it used to show a nice 3d rendering of the anomaly.

Today I decided to go to all the anomalies in Kerbin system (nudged by my wife's curiosity) and check the new ones.

Spent my science on planes and was about to go, but this hits me.

When BTDT is off I get info on the instruments.
When it is ON, however I get nothing. 
Back when I used it and I remember it did a nice green line 3d rendering of the objects. Even KSC.

How can I fix that, so it will work again and have nice weekend ?

AMEzFAm.png

0hAveY2.png

But it seems that it actually marked the anomaly as visited (green dot) as you can see here.

64aAEEE.png

Hope there is a fix. Thank you !

Same here. What's the deal yo? 

Also does the landing site marker integrate with anything besides cheatjeb? Not much use if I can't see it on the navball. 

10 minutes ago, Lunar Sea said:

Also does the landing site marker integrate with anything besides cheatjeb? Not much use if I can't see it on the navball. 

Not in this version - KSP just added native waypoint markers like this very recently, and the landing site marker system predates it.  There's a dev version that uses the KSP waypoint markers over in the dev thread.  (Standard dev-quality software warnings apply, of course.)

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Not in this version - KSP just added native waypoint markers like this very recently, and the landing site marker system predates it.  There's a dev version that uses the KSP waypoint markers over in the dev thread.  (Standard dev-quality software warnings apply, of course.)

Thanks for that info. Too bad it's much more of a hassle to set an accurate waypoint than the landing marker - at least I've found it to be. 

What @DStaal said, though I think the latest version is in a fairly stable state now; the BTDT anomaly window is also fixed in the dev version. An update for the pre-release should be coming soon, as well.

Right now what I need is some help with the resources.

Can anyone give me an up-to-date list of which CRP planetary resources (the ones that you can see in the stock resource overlay maps) MKS and Interstellar uses? I need to update the MM configs to get those fixed, and to get them working together properly.

@Lunar Sea How so? The new SCANsat interface for adding in stock waypoints (it also works with MechJeb if you want) is the same as before. Using the zoom map you can set the waypoint with whatever accuracy you want by zooming in far enough.

Edited by DMagic

2 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Lunar Sea How so? The new SCANsat interface for adding in stock waypoints (it also works with MechJeb if you want) is the same as before. Using the zoom map you can set the waypoint with whatever accuracy you want by zooming in far enough.

Oh I'm missing something then - I couldn't find how to set waypoints in Scansat and resorted to Kerbnet :(