[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

You can use ModuleManager to do this. The recipe for it is in the first post of the dev thread.

RPM also doesn't give a crap if you've got a SCANsat part on the ship or not (I think it's supposed to check maybe from looking at the code, it's clearly not working if it is), but only gives you a rectangular, zoomable map (I really wish it had some way to change it to polar or something, it's almost useless for polar navigation because it gets so distorted that not only do the shapes on the map have little meaning, but so do general directions!)

From what I can tell it looks like an empty biome map is also supposed to return 0 science, but because the biome system doesn't quite work how damny was thinking it does, this isn't the case. Allowing both cases to return science, as they probably should, seems easy enough to do.

It actually makes sense that the multispectral does still return something if there's no biome, for both gameplay and realistic reasons. Gameplay wise...most planets don't have 'biomes' set up yet, but probably will eventually. It'd also give an even bigger incentive than there already is to install that mod that adds biomes to the other worlds. Realistically speaking, almost regardless of what is meant by 'multispectral', *some* kind of result is going to get returned. (RADAR not as much, and probably less usefully even if there was something in the two cases it generates a static map.)

Edited by Tiron

When you say the R&D center is closed do you mean you can't open it from the spacecenter screen? Or that when you collect science data you get the generic, sandbox science results? Or both?

Do you see any errors in the debug menu (alt+F2)? Can you send the ksp.log file (in the main KSP directory)?

R&D is Closed, showing the same message in the Space Center that you'd get if you were in Sandbox Mode. I looked at the debug and the log file. There's nothing that shows any sort of error, warning, etc when I try to click on the R&D Center. The logfile makes no note of the attempt at all, and the debug window shows a click (or was it clicked) action, but that's it. I'm going to attempt to reload a quicksave and see if the issue clears up.

technogeeky the recipe does nothing for me because I don't know what to do with the code. Like where do I put it?

Copy & paste it into a file named something.cfg, and place it anywhere in GameData\SCANsat. I think.

Good news! Reverting to the quicksave seems to have resolved the issue. I do wish I knew exactly what caused it so I can avoid it in the future, but w/e.

Didn't I mention somewhere that the quicksave loaded fine? Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to diff them at all.

Anyway, get DMagic's game backup tool and make sure you have many copies of persistent.sfs for safe keeping. And then in that case, we can diff two very-closely-spaced files to figure out what's going on.

I wasn't even aware you'd plugged either into KSP itself...particularly since I provided no mod list. Though, technically, you could examine the ships and unlocked parts lists to determine what mods I had.

I wasn't even aware you'd plugged either into KSP itself...particularly since I provided no mod list. Though, technically, you could examine the ships and unlocked parts lists to determine what mods I had.

Ha! One look at that file, and I just knew I was doomed as far as mods goes. But luckily you had so few vessels (only one?) that used them, I just accepted that the vessel would get destroyed and I could still see if R&D was open.

To make things clearer, I have added a thing showing the structure of directories in GameData. Hopefully it is clear. My main concern is that MechJeb is completely unrelated right now, but I included it for completeness.

Actually, there were 3 ships using Interstellar parts, 1 Ship using SCANSat stuff (as well as Interstellar), 1 ship using TACLS and other mods that was engaged in wrangling a Class C or D asteroid that was ~9h from impacting Kerbin. This rock has a mass of ~205 tons...would have been bad for the environment to allow the collision... The quicksave was madejust after I\d grappled the rock and plotted a new trajectory for it. I later put it in a ~4Mm ~0deg inclination orbit.

The last ship was a transfer stage containing 3 impact detector probes, 2 impators, all of which used Interstellar parts, plus KAS and a few others. This ship is in parking orbit of Kerbin waiting for a Duna transfer window.

I have a request if possible! Can you alter the telescope to allow us to send multiple reports back? Right now it just sends one back and then you get nothing more from it. I'd like if it could send back one for each biome it passes over/can see.

I have a request if possible! Can you alter the telescope to allow us to send multiple reports back? Right now it just sends one back and then you get nothing more from it. I'd like if it could send back one for each biome it passes over/can see.

I believe you have the wrong thread. This is the ScanSat thread. It sounds like you are talking about DMagic's orbital science pack.

Edit: link here

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-4-%281-11-14%29

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

How I get science points from the BTDT?

Sorry if I'm missing something, but found no informations about that.

Just updated from 0.5b to 0.6.

Edited by acc

How I get science points from the BTDT?

Sorry if I'm missing something, but found no informations about that.

Just updated from 0.5b to 0.6.

As discussed in IRC:

• The BTDT scanner as it stands does not generate science of any kind.
  • It is possible for it to do so; however this is not considered a high priority.
  • An issue has been created to consider this.

I believe you have the wrong thread. This is the ScanSat thread. It sounds like you are talking about DMagic's orbital science pack.

Edit: link here

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-4-%281-11-14%29

It uses the SCANSat plugin so this would be the better place to ask actually.

It uses the SCANSat plugin so this would be the better place to ask actually.

My telescope does generate different reports from each biome. The version using the SCANsat module is no different, it just has the additional ability to make another science report using SCANsat's methods.

SCANsat doesn't allow for different reports from each biome because that wouldn't make much sense. The total amount of science you get is based on how much of the planet you have scanned with each scanner type, where you trigger the "analyze" button makes no difference. I actually should remove those options from the ScienceDefs file, both the situation mask and the biome mask should be 0.

As discussed in IRC:

The BTDT scanner as it stands does not generate science of any kind.

I believe that a dedicated anomaly scanner also won't generate any science. It's only the two altimetry scanners and the biome part of the multispectral scanner.

My telescope does generate different reports from each biome. The version using the SCANsat module is no different, it just has the additional ability to make another science report using SCANsat's methods.

SCANsat doesn't allow for different reports from each biome because that wouldn't make much sense. The total amount of science you get is based on how much of the planet you have scanned with each scanner type, where you trigger the "analyze" button makes no difference. I actually should remove those options from the ScienceDefs file, both the situation mask and the biome mask should be 0.

Actually it would make sense for the telescope to give different science reports based on biome but I was using it on a sat and got just one report and that was it. The flavor text for it changed based on biome but I never got any more science. And I am not talking about SCANSat's biome scanner.

This is a fantastic mod! I just incorporated it into my career game and am trying it out. I would've suggested to add kethane to the scan but I can see that DMagic already did that. I'm not sure if the DM-kethane build marks a hexagon cell as scanned or not but if not, I can peruse the source code and see. Also, I'm a developer by trade and do 3D modelling as a hobby so once I'm more familiar with this mod I may be able to help out.

I believe that a dedicated anomaly scanner also won't generate any science. It's only the two altimetry scanners and the biome part of the multispectral scanner.

Yep, but would be cool to get a small amount for a anomaly identification. As example to make unmanned rover/lander missions more interesting. I'm using the anomaly scanner from your other parts pack too. But there is the problem: It's only one time operable. So driving with a Rover from anomaly to anomaly is no possible mission (to get science). I know how to change the cfg to change it, but I would just mention the situation for "normal-users" without modding knowledge :)

Btw. another solution for unmanned missions would be a probe part that can clean the experiments like the stock lab, but without crew needed. Maybe with other restrictions (a cleanSet resource maybe; longer clean time) for balancing.

Edited by acc

Hey, i installed this mod (v6) along with RasterPropMonitor (v0.16) and the map isn't displayed on the monitor in IVA (it says "no satelite connection").

The scanning, the small and the big map work as intendet, so what am i doing wrong? I don't understand... :huh:

(also my appologies if this question isn't relatet with SCANsat, but with RPM)