[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

But I expect in the next few versions (v7 or v8) will such information (ideal altitudes, orbital resonance identification, and projection of all of the orbits needed to complete the map) in SCANsat itself.

So, no point in me publishing complete tables for the entire Kerbol system? Because I was contemplating doing just that using your code. It's quite handy but...annoying to use. And there's a lot of setup involved with getting Octave to work on OS X (have to compile Fink from source now, as it turns out...I miss the days of having a binary installer for that :( ; doing that requires XCode which is a 2GB download). (Edit: Or I could read more and find-out that Octave itself has an installer for OS X.)

Edited by phoenix_ca

So do the scanners actually provide science points now? In earlier versions the scanners had science experiments but they never paid out anything. Granted, I may not have been doing what was required to get science points out of them, but even so.

Also, congrats on the release! Good to see that its made it.

mmmh...don´t get me wrong, I´ve been using ScanSat in previous releases but this one is kinda weird: I´ve been used to simply inject the satellite into a polar orbit and then just wait for the planet under the device to rotate which resulted sooner or later in a more or less complete map - why does this not work? the way it is, it´s pretty much a pain in the arse to adjust inclination every orbit (and a half maybe :) )

mmmh...don´t get me wrong, I´ve been using ScanSat in previous releases but this one is kinda weird: I´ve been used to simply inject the satellite into a polar orbit and then just wait for the planet under the device to rotate which resulted sooner or later in a more or less complete map - why does this not work? the way it is, it´s pretty much a pain in the arse to adjust inclination every orbit (and a half maybe :) )

There have been no changes to the actual scanning mechanics (except for the bug fix where the scanner mixed up the south and north poles).

Small changes in orbit can significantly alter the effectiveness of scanning. Make sure the equatorial markers shown on the 'orbit' overlay don't cluster together into a few groups. A very small burn is usually enough to break up these groups and improved the effectiveness of your orbit.

And if you're altering your inclination every orbit you're doing something wrong. Many dozens of orbits are required to get a complete map. Find an orbit with a good spread of equatorial crossings and wait.

Though I think you swapped the description of the big map projections

Fixed, thanks.

Edited by DMagic

Technogeeky, would it be possible to apply the SCANSat to a pre-defined map? This way of science collection works great for space-based experiments, but you can't get a real gravitational, magnetic field, etc. map from in-game data as far as I know. So if 'fake' maps could be added, people could make like something like this for all the planets which could then be scanned.

goce_gravity_field_786map.gif

glad to see a new thread for this,

REQUEST

can you remodel the MapTraq into a smaller package? maybe so it looks like a hand held gps reciever?

There was some in the old thread or you can just make a CFG to add it to Command parts.

Technogeeky, would it be possible to apply the SCANSat to a pre-defined map? This way of science collection works great for space-based experiments, but you can't get a real gravitational, magnetic field, etc. map from in-game data as far as I know. So if 'fake' maps could be added, people could make like something like this for all the planets which could then be scanned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/world/10/goce_gravity_field/img/goce_gravity_field_786map.gif

By Adding maps your going to up the memory use and that didn't help the last mapping Mod for it was a memory hog.

So, no point in me publishing complete tables for the entire Kerbol system? Because I was contemplating doing just that using your code. It's quite handy but...annoying to use. And there's a lot of setup involved with getting Octave to work on OS X (have to compile Fink from source now, as it turns out...I miss the days of having a binary installer for that :( ; doing that requires XCode which is a 2GB download). (Edit: Or I could read more and find-out that Octave itself has an installer for OS X.)

I def. would not use my code to publish tables yet; it does not yet take into account the lower-than-ideal FOV penalty that SCANsat applies. I intended to fix/publish this week.

glad to see a new thread for this,

REQUEST

can you remodel the MapTraq into a smaller package? maybe so it looks like a hand held gps reciever?

I hope to have this done for v7. I have one standing offer for modelling work, so I can ask for it.

Simple answer, sidelap.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75854-Ideal-Altitude-Calulator-%28Revitalized%29

This is a problem with mapping, period. It can be lessened by increased FOV of the scanner, even eliminated if you have a really massive, unlikely FOV. But the solution is to plan your altitude just a little better. ;)

DMagic got to you first; but he's right -- there hasn't been any changes to scanning mechanics, and you certainly shouldn't need to be adjusting your inclination every orbit.

Putting a spacecraft into very-polar orbit (87 to 93 degrees) will eventually scan everything, assuming the planetary body is rotating. But eventually will take a long time. There are ideal orbits that have lower inclination and will scan much faster.

My current way to attack a full planetary scan with a single spacecraft would be to inject into orbit in a polar orbit (89 or 88 degrees), and map both poles. Then, I would go down to an ideal orbit (using the ideal calculator, in my signature) and get the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Simple answer, sidelap.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75854-Ideal-Altitude-Calulator-%28Revitalized%29

This is a problem with mapping, period. It can be lessened by increased FOV of the scanner, even eliminated if you have a really massive, unlikely FOV. But the solution is to plan your altitude just a little better. ;)

Yes. This is intended and for the sake of realism.

I def. would not use my code to publish tables yet; it does not yet take into account the lower-than-ideal FOV penalty that SCANsat applies. I intended to fix/publish this week.

Then I'll wait for that. It might be nice to have a catalogue so that it can be referenced easily on things like mobile devices or devices without Octave installed.

My plan is to stick the MapTraq on blizzy's small touchscreen Mechjeb box.

That's not a bad idea...

Then I'll wait for that. It might be nice to have a catalogue so that it can be referenced easily on things like mobile devices or devices without Octave installed.

That's not a bad idea...

Agreed. I think I'll also convert the output to github flavored markdown, so I can make nice formatted tables instead of space-delimited nonsense.

Here was 1 in the old thread 80C4eLQ.png and the download http://www./download/7c6nrgngsjmypss/SCANsatALTv0.11.zip

Or tomtom_demo.png and Download

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77674-Small-MechJeb-touchscreen-case and here is a cfg to add MapTraq to it https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpjzh3k14qannj2/ScanSat_tomtom.cfg

And if you want to add MapTraq to you command pod's and cores

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n46gwitg1jlgxfw/ScanSat_2_Command.cfg

Edited by Mecripp2

Technogeeky, would it be possible to apply the SCANSat to a pre-defined map?

This is essentially what Interstellar does with its resource maps.

MeCripp is right that you don't want to be adding a bunch of high resolution, 4k * 2k texture files, but if you stick to very small sizes it shouldn't have a huge effect.

In the interest of not clogging this thread up with speculation and half finished features I'll only say that yes, such a thing can be incorporated into SCANsat and displayed on the map. And also, that the SCANsat imgur account is publicly viewable and anyone can see what has been uploaded there. :wink:

When we have a WIP thread up I'll discuss more.

This is essentially what Interstellar does with its resource maps.

MeCripp is right that you don't want to be adding a bunch of high resolution, 4k * 2k texture files, but if you stick to very small sizes it shouldn't have a huge effect.

In the interest of not clogging this thread up with speculation and half finished features I'll only say that yes, such a thing can be incorporated into SCANsat and displayed on the map. And also, that the SCANsat imgur account is publicly viewable and anyone can see what has been uploaded there. :wink:

When we have a WIP thread up I'll discuss more.

Yes. Tonight, I have on my list:

• create dev thread for v7r0
  • create link from this thread to dev thread, and vice versa
  • create FAQs section for this thread
  • add all TODOs from TODO.txt into GitHub issues, and delete TODO.txt
  • add any other non TODO.txt wants into GitHub issues

Also, my current plan (just out of circumstance) is to reserve odd-numbered versions for development, and keep even-numbered versions for releases. So the next one to get released in here will be v8.0. Everything in v7.0 will be for development and new features, and any bugfixes or changes that should be backported from v7.0 will end up in v6.1.

Or something like that. Maybe I'll do the odd/even split on the last digit, so 6.0 is release, 6.1 is dev, 6.2 is next release.

Either way, the version numbering in the assembly will be the same until either:

• the next release version
  • we introduce backwards-incompatible changes

Also, my current plan is to replace the MapTraq scanner (and maybe BTDT) with something nicer by the next release. But instead of replacing it, I will deprecate the existing scanner, and remove it two releases from now.

I see the thorium overlay. I'm going to build a DMagic shrine now.

We at S.C.A.N. encourage all forms of worship and deism, except those which interfere in the sciences of scanning and navigation.

We also take cash, checks, money orders, wire transfers, and blood (or not blood) diamonds.

Edited by technogeeky