[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

On 2/21/2018 at 6:14 PM, DMagic said:

@garwel There are some errors in that log related to a bug in Kopernicus that breaks biome-related functions in many mods. If other aspects of the UI seem ok then that might be the problem. Can you generate non-biome maps?

@casper88 @blitz41 There is a bug in SCANsat currently where some rounding errors make Contract Configurator think that a map has less than 0% scanned. You can fix it for now by either disabling the requirement as mentioned, or edit the SCANsat contract definitions so that all of the "minCoverage" lines read -1, as it is here: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/issues/315

@kcs123 The background scanning tab reads: lo-res altimery, hi-res altimetry, biome, anomaly (which are combined in the Multispectral scanner), and the M700 resource scan. It does not look at the BTDT anomaly scan or any individual resource type scans done using the Narrow Band scanner.

If the stock resource scanning is not disabled, then doing the stock M700 resource scan should fill in all coverage for SCANsat resources (individual resources and the M700 type). If not then you'll need to do M700 scanning with the SCANsat module (ie not instant).

Many thanks. I got contracts for Mun and Minmus, and thought that Kerbin didn't have any (which made me sad).

Why not simple make the "minCoverage = -1.0" default?

Also, would be nice to include Tweakscale for the scanners in the same manner DMagic's Orbital Science (smaller parts are more expensive). I did a patch for myself, but I think many people miss that.

40 minutes ago, Mythos said:

Anyone else solved a problem with toolbar button not showing up? I just commented on github issues. As now 1.4 is out it is time that I merge from 1.2.2 to 1.3.1 :-)

If you have waited for that long, wait just 2-3 more weeks longer and update to 1.4.1 :)
Quite a lot benefits updated unity game engine brings along with KSP 1.4. Making moding job a way lot easier, just need to bite a bullet and overcome transition issues that comes with upgrading too.

Don't know if SCANSat need shader rebuilds, I can only assume it does due to overlays on maps and similar things with texture manipulation. Haven't yet tried SCANSat in 1.4. just educated guess that it does not work without recomplie.

As for 1.4 we need to wait for 1.4.1 and all the wanted mods I think.

Maybe 1.4 changed too much to merge an old career from 1.0 that survived up to 1.3.1 now? Got it downloaded but didn't look into yet.

Every time I got stuck into micromanaging my space agency having dozens of flights running... And every time I'm almost going to finally visit another planet for my very first time, a new version forces me to start from scratch and doing mun and minmus over and over... :-(

I had that 0.23 to 0.23.5 career, started scansating moho, no kerbals yet. Then a 0.90 career, no interplanetary at all. And now that 1.0 to 1.3.1 career in the very ends of year 1, Jeb and his team half way to duna now...

Concerning my problem I found the conflicting mod: AutoLoadGame! If I have this xor ScanSat it works, but together ScanSat looses :-(

23 hours ago, Mythos said:

I got stuck into micromanaging my space agency having dozens of flights running...

WAT?

I can barely handle the stress of a single orbital rescue mission, let alone wondering how some other launch to Mun might be turning out at the same time. Holy smokes that's amazing.

Edited by Arcadian Del Sol

21 minutes ago, Arcadian Del Sol said:

WAT?

I can barely handle the stress of a single orbital rescue mission, let alone wondering how some other launch to Mun might be turning out at the same time. Holy smokes that's amazing.

Seconded.  I can't imagine having dozens of flights running around Kerbin.

I can't recall ever having more than one unless they were intended to dock.  I've had a dozen running (plus ones that aren't running--say ScanSat birds, comm relays and the like) but that's it.

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Seconded.  I can't imagine having dozens of flights running around Kerbin.

I can't recall ever having more than one unless they were intended to dock.  I've had a dozen running (plus ones that aren't running--say ScanSat birds, comm relays and the like) but that's it.

once,  I tried to have multiple launches doing scans. They found each other and hit into one another. Meanwhile, I can't pull of a rescue without constantly "rubberbanding" all over the place. :/

I will try to have an update for this out tomorrow. The RPM maps use some custom shaders that may require a rebuild in Unity 2017, so if RPM isn't working or updated soon this might need another update before I can check and update for that. But otherwise I don't think there is much different from KSP 1.3.1.

47 minutes ago, Arcadian Del Sol said:

once,  I tried to have multiple launches doing scans. They found each other and hit into one another. Meanwhile, I can't pull of a rescue without constantly "rubberbanding" all over the place. :/

I'm confused.  What are you saying happened?

Once I have unlocked all the ScanSat stuff I start sending out mapping birds, one per world.  Once a world reaches 100% I turn off scanning for that world.  (The maps persist, turning it off saves the CPU time that would otherwise go into figuring what got scanned.)  Works fine other than MechJeb's inability to handle burns that have too much of an angle to them.  (Put a few birds into the planet before I figured out that I couldn't make full use of Oberth for capture burns on the Nerva engine.)

11 hours ago, Arcadian Del Sol said:

multiple launches doing scans. They found each other and hit into one another.

I always wondered if that could happen during trans-wherever-injections or coming from far out for aerobraking. Only one day I've seen a marker rushing by and could catch a number about 1 km.

I only ever crashed into something after undocking from my equatorial station and not looking for the station doing my burns :D

I seldom use multiple version scanning the same topic. Usually I have 3 scanner vessels per body at 750, 250 and 150 km polar orbits, so they never come close. I like to launch them in a bundle so they even are in the same plane.

As for the dozenS that include passive satellites, but about one dozen is active and really needs my attention from time to time. Like in between trans-minmus-injection and orbit-insertion around minmus there are many days to do multiple launches to LKO or hopping from anomaly to anomaly on mun or something like that. Of course you need Kerbal Alarm Clock for such managing. And it turns out if there is about an hour of time to the next alarm, I'm looking for such things to do next, not "wasting time just waiting".

Sometimes it turns out having two maneuvers same time, then you need to decide wich one can just wait another orbit. And before doing a reentry burn I need to look if there are no maneuvers planned for the next 30min.

10 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Once a world reaches 100% I turn off scanning for that world.

I remember DMagic telling that disabling those scanning devices via right click menu is better than turning of "background" scanning for a whole body. I once wondered why BTDT does not give names to my anomalies I visited after having 100% of the map, it was because this also belongs to "background" scanning and was turned off.

SCANsat version 18.5 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It is updated for KSP 1.4 and Unity 2017.1. 

It also has a fix for the scanning coverage calculation so that the value is clamped to a minimum of zero, which should fix any problems with contracts not being offered (without having to edit the contract definitions). And also makes the anomaly icons show up in grey until they have been scanned with the BTDT, after which they will be yellow/blue.

@flart Do you notice that typing in the box triggers other controls? Like pressing "W" turns the vessel? Or do you notice the same behavior in other SCANsat input fields? 

I don't see any leaking control locks on the waypoint input field or any other SCANsat input field. Maybe something else is clearing the locks. Control locks are a nasty problem when different mods, or stock, are trying to change things at the same time.

Try opening the debug menu (Alt + F12) and go to the input lock page (it might be buried in some sub-menu) to see what it shows. It should show a full control lock when typing in the SCANsat field (all 1's and it will say "Control Input Lock: SCANsat*" ).

Edited by DMagic

2 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Do you notice that typing in the box triggers other controls? Like pressing "W" turns the vessel

I think yes, but not sure. "Shift" was the most noticeable.

6 minutes ago, DMagic said:

the input lock page

ok, some time later

This seems like a dumb question, but... How do you trigger a csv export and where will it appear?   (KSP 1.3.1, ScanSat 18.4)  I set the "Export .csv Data File" checkbox, and tried the export on big map, but that only seems to produce a png.

@mbaryu The csv export only works for the altimetry maps, I think I just never got around to anything else.

When it exports it will be alongside the map files in the PluginData folder, if you open the debug log while exporting you will also see information about what was exported and where it was saved.

Hey there, has anyone else ran into an issue with SCANsat were you start a new game and can no longer do contracts for the planets/moons you scanned in the previous game?

When I started a new game, all the scan maps are blank like I expected, but it appears the SCANsat contracts still "remember" what I did in the previous game as it thinks I already scanned those places and won't offer me the contracts.

EDIT: I don’t think it is related to the rounding error discussed above, as it is literally every (and only) the planets I scanned in the previous game.

Edited by MechBFP

@DMagic

Could you maybe tell me, where the minimum slider value of the slope cutoff slider is stored? I wanted to try to lower it to 0.1 or 0.01, to maybe make even slopes <1° visible...
I read the github issue, that the map is maybe not accurate enough for that, but I wanted to give it a try...
BUT... sind 30+ minutes I now search where the slider min value is initialized but I just don't find it... o.O

@Jebs_SY Bottom of the Slope tab in the Color Management page of the Settings Window.

ROrYYZS.jpg

If you set it to the minimum value and zoom in very far it should pick up pretty small changes in elevation.

@MechBFP Which version of SCANsat and KSP is this happening in? Some errors in contracts were fixed in the latest version, 18.5, but that only works in KSP 1.4.x.

Data doesn't carry over from one save to another, it loads the scanning data directly from the save file every time you load a save or change scene.

@DMagic
Thx! I just realized, that I missed to add the maybe important information "in the source code" in my question. I try to find elevation <1 or <0.5 dregrees on eve... but the min cutoff for eve is 0.2 which only marks slopes like <1.5 degrees.
I am not a pro at coding, but also not totally noobish... but I really didn't find the spot, where the minimum value is initialized... as I see this now, it's dynamically calculated, which explains why I didn't find a matching 0.2 or 1.8 (my eve values).
I think I found the m_CutoffSlider, but I just didn't see  where it's .minValue is set. Hmm... but BTW, very elegant project structure and coding style ... absolutely a "hats off" from my side, here. 

@Jebs_SY You can just edit the value in the settings file: "SlopeCutoff = 1" in GameData/SCANsat/PluginData/Settings/cfg.

The slider is used to change that value, but otherwise the only place it is set is in the default values for the settings file: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/blob/release/SCANsat/SCAN_Settings_Config.cs#L94

The minimum value for the slider itself is serialized in Unity, so the only way to change that would be to override its minValue (ie m_CutoffSlider.minValue = 0.01).