[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

I'm really sorry if this is a n00b question, but I am one.

Although I'm slowly building a Science "career", I usually sim in Sandbox mode because my ambition is greater than my skill. Nevertheless, it seems like this would be useful to me - places to go and things to see, as well as being interesting in general. Seems like it gives me information I otherwise wouldn't have.

So will it work in properly sandbox mode and is it worthwhile? I don't think there's any default equivalent as far as I can tell.

I got what I think is the latest version. The parts are there all right, but they don't seem to do anything. There's no menu that comes up when I right click them.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I had that too. Took me a bit to work it out. I was originally at the SCANsat github site and pressing "download ZIP" on the right hand side of the page, naively thinking this meant I would download a compiled release, but no. I had the parts but nothing happened on the launch pad or at any altitude.

Looking at the top of the Github page, just below where it says "Real scanning, real science at warp speed" there are a row of links (commits, branches, releases & contributors). Click on the releases link and you will find the downloadable compiled release. I got a zip file that matched the description at the beginning of this thread and once on the launch pad, I got the icons I was expecting. Hope this helps.

Edited by Zablonski

Not sure if it's bad form here to answer your own post but...

It's definitely worth having this - even in Sandbox - otherwise you're just pointing a pistol at your head every time you land. It's very helpful and I have mapped Kerbal and Mun this afternoon. Duna next.

I'm not sure what rules it breaks and I hope that gets fixed soon, but for me it has become an essential tool.

Not sure if it's bad form here to answer your own post but...

It's definitely worth having this - even in Sandbox - otherwise you're just pointing a pistol at your head every time you land. It's very helpful and I have mapped Kerbal and Mun this afternoon. Duna next.

I'm not sure what rules it breaks and I hope that gets fixed soon, but for me it has become an essential tool.

Be happy, SCANSat finds fun things as well as flat landing sites :-)

I (almost) only ever play in sandbox mode and never play without SCANSat; it's one of my 'must have' mods because it adds so much information without asking anything in return.

I had that too. Took me a bit to work it out. I was originally at the SCANsat github site and pressing "download ZIP" on the right hand side of the page, naively thinking this meant I would download a compiled release, but no. I had the parts but nothing happened on the launch pad or at any altitude.

Looking at the top of the Github page, just below where it says "Real scanning, real science at warp speed" there are a row of links (commits, branches, releases & contributors). Click on the releases link and you will find the downloadable compiled release. I got a zip file that matched the description at the beginning of this thread and once on the launch pad, I got the icons I was expecting. Hope this helps.

That did it, muchos gracias!

Jebadiah Kerban,

The maintainers have been very busy recently – too busy to make a full update since the new Add-on rules came into effect on August 21. As far as I can tell, the zip now just needs a copy of the Open Resource System license to be in compliance with the new rules. Until then, unless a moderator says otherwise, no one can provide you with a download link from the forums.

Be happy, SCANSat finds fun things as well as flat landing sites :-)

I (almost) only ever play in sandbox mode and never play without SCANSat; it's one of my 'must have' mods because it adds so much information without asking anything in return.

Thank you. As I suspected, it's great for exploring before you send big boosters and little Kerbals anywhere.

Hey Guys,

I'm having issues with ScanSat. Can't open up the maps, animated parts don't open up in space (they do in the VAB), and clicking the "start scan" button doesn't seem to do anything.

I've installed the latest version of ScanSat. I've updated Toolbar to version 1.7.6 Nothing is solving the problem. There was a discussion of this issue on the other thread, but it never appeared to be resolved.

Can anyone please help?

Where is the icon that displays the map? Should be an easy fix without a complete re-install

the Documentation says nothing. just install it and activate scanners and nothing about the icon that allows you to display the map.

granted it might be easy for those using it, and have used it. But for someone who just installed it this is not obvious. Nor is there any FAQ or documentation to explain this

From the changelog for version 6.0:

+ [NEW] [OPTIONAL] Toolbar support. Strongly suggested, because the experience
is better and more consistent with the Toolbar. [thanks DMagic!]
- [REMOVED] Removed the old expanding/contracting floating SCANsat button. Replaced instead with
either a Toolbar toolbar or with nothing, but maps become visible upon starting a scan. [Thanks Dmagic!]

If you aren't using 000_Toolbar, the maps simply appear when you start a scanner. If you are using Toolbar, do a "configure visible buttons" in the flight scene, and SCANsat buttons should be available if you have a SCANsat part on the ship. (If you're on the development branch, 7.0rc4 or later, you no longer need a part to have access to the buttons and maps.)

Could someone clarify something for me. I have been fiddling with ScanSAT but have yet to fully "use" it. Basically I've been devising my satellite program. So i created this amazing LV-N powered beast with enough deltaV to travel from one end of the Kerbol system to the other, touring all the planets.

But it occured to me, if I send the satellite from Kerbin to another body, do I retain the maps created of Kerbin? That is in order for other ships to be able to access maps via RPM, do I need to leave the satellite active at that body? I think I may have misunderstood the point of exporting maps for the idea that you somehow keep a record of the scan even once the satellite no longer exists.

Is there any point in having a single satellite tour the system, or do I need to have a separate satellite for each body active in order to have the maps available?

Could someone clarify something for me. I have been fiddling with ScanSAT but have yet to fully "use" it. Basically I've been devising my satellite program. So i created this amazing LV-N powered beast with enough deltaV to travel from one end of the Kerbol system to the other, touring all the planets.

But it occured to me, if I send the satellite from Kerbin to another body, do I retain the maps created of Kerbin? That is in order for other ships to be able to access maps via RPM, do I need to leave the satellite active at that body? I think I may have misunderstood the point of exporting maps for the idea that you somehow keep a record of the scan even once the satellite no longer exists.

Is there any point in having a single satellite tour the system, or do I need to have a separate satellite for each body active in order to have the maps available?

Once a map is made, it's available to anything that views maps unless you manually discard it from SCANsat settings. No need to keep the sensor in orbit after the map is complete. The image files generated by exporting are useful if you want to view them or import them into a tool outside the game, or if you want to refer to them while playing a save where you haven't scanned that body yet.

Where is the icon that displays the map? Should be an easy fix without a complete re-install

I right click on the scanners and it does not allow me to open a map.

downloaded SCANsat_v7_rc4-no-modstats

Go to a ship that has a part like SAR or BTDT, click the ScanSat part, click stop scan, and restart the scan.