[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

13 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Works fine for me on the same version...just to be sure, you used this 'Export Map to Disk' button to export the map?

YzG0EJL.png

Do you know the debug console? Open it with 'alt + F12' or 'ctrl + alt + F12', keep the console open and press the export button again. Does any error message appear as soon as you press the button to export the map? If yes -> please post your output_log :)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

3 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Yes an error apeard.

Where do i find the output log?

Uh, didn't expected an unity error...anyway, the log usually is located in your user directory, on a windows machine, usually it is here: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt

If not, here is a list with all possible locations for each OS:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit) or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt
  • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Can someone tell me how to scan for ressources using SCAN.Sat? I tried using the M700 on the Mun at different altitudes from 25km to 350km, tried different things in the settings and I still can't get any Information in any of the maps overlays.

Getting quite frustrated and out of ideas, any help or tips would be welcome.

@paranoider.ninja Did you turn on the scanner? According to the small map in your screenshot you only have the low resolution altimetry scanner and the multispectral scanner active. 

Your resource settings are correct for using SCANsat-style scanning for resources, but you need to deploy the M700 scanner (so the dish is open) then start the resource scan.

Sometimes you might have to retract and re-deploy the scanner to get the correct options to show up if you change the SCANsat resource scan settings. Either that or re-load the scene.

The scanner is deployed, it's color (for figuring out the correct altitude) in the big map is grey though, no matter what my altitude is (I tried between 25km and 350km).

When I first scanned the Mun it seemed to have done a stock scan (near intantaneous and stock res. overlay in map-mode), I have Info for all the MKS ressources and all, they just don't show up in the SCANsat maps.

Edit: Do I maybe need the narrowband scanner for res to show up on the SCANsat maps?

Edited by paranoider.ninja

@paranoider.ninja There is no requirement to scan with the Narrow Band Scanner, they are two different things.

What do you mean by its color on the big map? There is no scanning altitude indication on the big map.

In the right click menu, after deploying the M700 you click Start Resource Scan, then there will be an indicator in that menu telling you if it is at the right altitude. If that doesn't happen then something else is wrong and I will need log files to say more.

In the small map the indicators in the lower left will also indicate if it is at the correct altitude (grey means the scanner is off, orange means too high or too low, blinking green/orange means below the ideal altitude, solid green means at or above the ideal altitude).

3 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@paranoider.ninjaIn the small map the indicators in the lower left will also indicate if it is at the correct altitude (grey means the scanner is off, orange means too high or too low, blinking green/orange means below the ideal altitude, solid green means at or above the ideal altitude). 

That's what I meant with color, the M700 shows only gray.

Where do I find the logfiles and how can I send them to you?

@paranoider.ninja You can send the KSP.log file, found in the main KSP folder, next to the KSP.exe files. Upload to some file sharing site, don't try to paste the whole thing somewhere.

I was going to link to the How To Get Support thread, but now realize all of its information is outdated and useless. :huh:

the logfile contains endless rows of this line, the only thing changing is the time.

[EXC 17:38:04.475] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ClickThroughBlocker, Version=0.1.6.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

I need to cut them out because the logfile is too large to upload otherwise. I'll post the link once I've cut out most of these lines.

Edit: Here's the link  to the file, I removed all the abovementioned lines and only left one before and after something else , so You'll see them in patterns of two. The original file was 273MB big, this should be more manageable.

https://www.4shared.com/office/VVTgnHUdgm/KSP-log1.html

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edited by paranoider.ninja

1 hour ago, paranoider.ninja said:

the logfile contains endless rows of this line, the only thing changing is the time.

[EXC 17:38:04.475] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ClickThroughBlocker, Version=0.1.6.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

I need to cut them out because the logfile is too large to upload otherwise. I'll post the link once I've cut out most of these lines.

Edit: Here's the link  to the file, I removed all the abovementioned lines and only left one before and after something else , so You'll see them in patterns of two. The original file was 273MB big, this should be more manageable.

https://www.4shared.com/office/VVTgnHUdgm/KSP-log1.html

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Click Through Blocker is maintained by LinuxGuruGamer and is a dependency of many of his mods.  Have you tried reinstalling this mod?  I'm not implying that it will resolve your original problem, but it should help the log size.

To reduce the size of your log file even further when you're troubleshooting (which will help both you and those trying to help), run the game only for as long as you need to to replicate/highlight the problem, then exit and copy/rename the log file.

Edited by Brigadier

1 hour ago, paranoider.ninja said:

Looks like you installed a mod of LinuxGuruGamer as well and most of them require ClickThroughBlocker to run properly (or at all). Usually, dependencies are mentioned in the OP of the mod release thread or in the describtion on Spacedock/Curse.

edit: too slow....:ph34r:

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

edit: too slow....:ph34r:

Nah, I just started sooner :cool:

4 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Usually, dependencies are mentioned in the OP of the mod release thread or in the describtion on Spacedock/Curse.

@paranoider.ninja

What @4x4cheesecakesaid.  And to add to his comment on dependencies, CKAN (if you use it) will show you the dependencies and conflicts in the Relationships tab in the right-hand column.

Where are "scans" saved? Say I do a biome scan of Duna, is that something that's saved in a file somewhere? I ask because I'm wondering if I lost my biome scan of Duna after upgrading KSP. I usually do a clean install of an upgraded version of KSP and then copy my "Saves" folder from the previous version. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here but thought I would ask.

Is meeting the "Stock Scan Threshold" supposed to set the PLANET_SCAN_DATA? I have several bodies I'm pretty sure are 100% scanned (definitely enough to get science from the SCANSat analysis), but they didn't have that setting in the save file and didn't get resource information in the tracking station. Is the scan percentage shown in any SCANSat window? Should I see a message when the stock scan threshold is passed?

I'm actually just interested in the overall "planetary abundance" numbers shown by the pie chart, if there's another way to view them (turns out the "sifting" mechanic in MKS is driven by those numbers rather local resource abundance at a base).

6 hours ago, Johould said:

Is meeting the "Stock Scan Threshold" supposed to set the PLANET_SCAN_DATA? I have several bodies I'm pretty sure are 100% scanned (definitely enough to get science from the SCANSat analysis), but they didn't have that setting in the save file and didn't get resource information in the tracking station. Is the scan percentage shown in any SCANSat window? Should I see a message when the stock scan threshold is passed?

I'm actually just interested in the overall "planetary abundance" numbers shown by the pie chart, if there's another way to view them (turns out the "sifting" mechanic in MKS is driven by those numbers rather local resource abundance at a base).

You don't need to worry about the stock scan threshold unless you disable the stock scanning function of the stock M700 resource scanner in the scansat settings menu.

There is a Wiki for ScanSAT if you Google for it. From said guide/wiki:

When disabled none of these restrictions are in place.

:top: Disable Stock Scanning

This is the most far reaching option. When toggled on several stock functions are affected.

• The scanning functions of the M700 Survey Scanner and the M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner are disabled * This prevents using the stock orbital scan (and subsequently the stock planetary overlays, as long as you haven't already scanned the planet) * The narrow-band scanner's high-resolution map is no longer available * The resource abundance displays in the right-click context menu of the narrow-band scanner and surface scanning module are replaced by SCANsat modules; these require that an area be scanned from orbit before showing any values
  • The ground truthing function of the surface scanning module is unaffected
:top: Stock Scan Threshold

When stock resource scanning is disabled this option to control the stock resource scan will appear.

• The percentage shown is a threshold value for the SCANsat M700 resource scan
  • This function can be disabled to prevent all stock resource scans
  • When this level is reached the stock resource scan will be performed automatically
  • The text box can be used to enter a new value for the threshold
  • A check will be performed whenever there is a scene change or a reload * Force a check by putting in a new value and pushing the Set button * A reload may be required for the scan to take effect

I forget the exact science thresholds, but you can collect science after scanning like a third of the planet, then two thirds or so, then all of it if you scan over like 90% or something. Might be 95% I forget. You might be able to set that too. I'm going from memory.

I normally just wait until it's scanned over 90% so I only have to go to each satellite once to collect the science....

Edited by JoE Smash

@Victor3 Scan data is stored in the save file. It's located in the top section (before the vessel list):

SCENARIO
	{
		name = SCANcontroller
		scene = 7, 5, 8
	}

The data for each body is stored in Progress nodes:

Progress
		{
			Body
			{
				Name = Kerbin
				Disabled = False
				MinHeightRange = -1500
				MaxHeightRange = 6500
				ClampHeight = 0
				PaletteName = Default
				PaletteSize = 7
				PaletteReverse = False
				PaletteDiscrete = False
				Map = CAABAAAA---...
			}
		}

The actual data is a compressed string, so you won't really be able to make any sense of it. If a planet has no data at all then there simply won't be an entry for it. If the data has been wiped somehow then there could be an entry, but the data in the "Map" line should be something uniform, like a long list of AAAAAA.

@Johould To add to the last post, the only way to find the scanning percentage for an individual scanner type is to go that vessel, open the small map, disable all scanners except the one you are interested in, then look at the percentage line under the map (displayed after the scanning status indicators: LO, HI,...). 

You can also collect science data if that is available. No science will be given at less than a 30% scan, and full science will be given for a 97.5% scan, but in between the amount will reflect the scanning percentage. This probably won't help if you've already collected the science, though.

You can also just change the stock scanning threshold value to force a check, if the threshold is met and a stock scan is performed then a message will be written to the log file, "SCANsat resource scanning for <body name> meets threshold value [threshold%] Conducting stock orbital resource scan..."

5 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

You don't need to worry about the stock scan threshold unless you disable the stock scanning function of the stock M700 resource scanner in the scansat settings menu.

I've been happily using SCANSat with stock scanning disabled, I just realized I want the tracking station's stock resource information to be populated.

Here is somebody's screenshot of what I'm talking about. I don't care about seeing the overlay map, just the percentages and pie chart shown under that button:

Spoiler

c3KATlW.png

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Johould To add to the last post, the only way to find the scanning percentage for an individual scanner type is to go that vessel, open the small map, disable all scanners except the one you are interested in, then look at the percentage line under the map (displayed after the scanning status indicators: LO, HI,...).

You can also just change the stock scanning threshold value to force a check, if the threshold is met and a stock scan is performed then a message will be written to the log file, "SCANsat resource scanning for <body name> meets threshold value [threshold%] Conducting stock orbital resource scan..."

Thanks, I'll check on the small map. I didn't notice that coverage information.

I'll have to check if I get log lines like that (current log doesn't have them, but I don't think I reset the threshold last game and don't have time to fire up KSP right now). I don't think I even see the button for trying to perform a stock scan if I have stock scanning disabled.

Your other answer about save format is interesting, but I'm pretty sure what I am looking for is only controlled by the stock `PLANET_SCAN_DATA` nodes. Can you confirm that the stock data is intended to show up in the save if I can see that "Conducting stock orbital resourced scan..."?

Edited by Johould

2 hours ago, Johould said:

Your other answer about save format is interesting, but I'm pretty sure what I am looking for is only controlled by the stock `PLANET_SCAN_DATA` nodes. Can you confirm that the stock data is intended to show up in the save if I can see that "Conducting stock orbital resourced scan..."?

As far as I know that's how stock scanning data is saved. All SCANsat does is call the method: ResourceMap.Instance.UnlockPlanet(body.flightGlobalsIndex);

The log file will only reflect this when the scan is actually done, this only occurs on scene load and when you change the scanning threshold.

2 hours ago, Johould said:

I don't think I even see the button for trying to perform a stock scan if I have stock scanning disabled.

As the name for the setting implies, it disables basically everything to do with stock scanning from the parts themselves.