[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

From the parts description, emphasis mine:

MS doesn't state that it provides slope map, neither does SAR. There is no info about which one provides greyscale and which provides color map. I commented because while it can all be tested it still takes 10 minutes, clarity is important and this is matter of adding three lines to every item description, it would help both new users and current ones....

Edited by dzikakulka

<strike>So I click view map, and nothing happens. I have two satellites in orbit around Kerbin at roughly circular orbits between 130 and 180 Km. They each have power, one only has a scanner, and one has a scanner and the MapTraq. Any advice?</strike>

Nevermind! I looked at the tutorial images and got it. D'oh!

Edited by WoodenBiplane

MS doesn't state that it provides slope map

That's because it doesn't provide slope data. All of the other information you've asked about can be found in the documentation on the first page of this thread and on the GitHub repository.

It's not working with RPM... no one noticed?

It works fine for me. Any details?

No? Yes? Anyone?

Use the dev version of SCANsat: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80661

in the career are 2 scan tools first the radarscanner and the antenne have a bug atenne resarch but not in vab. sorry for sad english version 7

You mean the tech node has been researched and purchased in the R&D center but it's not showing up in the VAB? Does it show up in the VAB with the message about not being researched, or does it not show up at all.

If the part has been researched in the R&D center this could be caused by having duplicate copies of the part installed in your GameData folder. Make sure you fully deleted the old SCANsat folder if you were updating from an earlier version.

Two questions: Are there any problems with incomplete scans? I've used several versions of SCANSat and this is the first time I've had problems finishing a scan. I've had a probe going around Minmus for ages that's stuck on 99.9% of the multispectral scan complete, with 100% for the other two. Looks like there are two dead pixels in the big scan map at either pole, but it got to the point that I tried Hyperediting the probe into a perfect 90º orbit at 50km, 250km, and 750km and I still can't get those tiny spots to clear.

And leading off of that, where on earth is the scan data kept in the SCANSat folder? I don't mean captures of the big map, I mean that if I was going to cheat or if I got fed up with this, is there some place I can replace that .999 with a 1.0?

And leading off of that, where on earth is the scan data kept in the SCANSat folder? I don't mean captures of the big map, I mean that if I was going to cheat or if I got fed up with this, is there some place I can replace that .999 with a 1.0?

It's not in the folder, it lives within the persistence file. :)

New great idea, please consider:

I find SCANsat to be pretty cool, but the functionality is pretty limited gameplay wise. It is basically a science machine for me right now.

But I had the best idea... since this also works with custom biomes mod and you can see biomes inside SCANsat.

What if you could click and place a marker and it can show up in your HUD when you are in another vessel? This would be helpful for example, let's say I want to land in Eastern Crater on Mun, but when I am in my other vessel it is kinda hard to know which crater is which... but if I have SCANsat satellite there to tell my other vessel with a hud marker where the location is I can easily find it.

It would be very realistic too and a good use for SCANsat and have it be more involved in (at least mine) gameplay.

i have a problem with the btdt scanner, the instrument windows is stuck on scanning, even while i'm parked 2 meter from the ksc monolith, and anomalies are not named in the map

New great idea, please consider:

I find SCANsat to be pretty cool, but the functionality is pretty limited gameplay wise. It is basically a science machine for me right now.

But I had the best idea... since this also works with custom biomes mod and you can see biomes inside SCANsat.

What if you could click and place a marker and it can show up in your HUD when you are in another vessel? This would be helpful for example, let's say I want to land in Eastern Crater on Mun, but when I am in my other vessel it is kinda hard to know which crater is which... but if I have SCANsat satellite there to tell my other vessel with a hud marker where the location is I can easily find it.

It would be very realistic too and a good use for SCANsat and have it be more involved in (at least mine) gameplay.

If your other vessel has a MapTraq it can see all the data mapped by all the sensors in the SOI.

Just re-installed this after a long time without it. (For some reason I thought it was out of order.)

The model for the multispectral scanner is really really hard to click on sometimes, especially when it's open. In fact, I have a satellite orbitting Kerbin right now and I just spent 20 minutes trying to r-click on it in such a way that it would bring up the menu so I could shut it off. It's just attached directly to a girder, nothing crazy going on. I remember this being an issue with the old version as well.

Also, I noticed when dumping science from the altimetry scanner that it's not giving me all of the available science, so I have to keep dumping the science again and again until it's empty. Could you set it to just dump/give 100% so I don't have to mess with it?

Anyway, thanks for the awesome mod. Keep up the good work.

Actually, the mesh for the multispectral scanner is buggy in multiple ways - aside from the sometimes not able to click thing Khatarr mentioned, it also attaches too close to surfaces, resulting in collisions when the animation plays. Even when you put it on an octagonal strut so it has a lot of clearance it still tends to fight with itself after you open it once, even if you close it again, applying torque to the whole satellite. You won't notice it much, especially with SAS countering it, but it's definitely there, and god help you if you have a solar panel or something actually in the way, the physics will go nuts and might wreck your whole ship. I'd be very thankful if someone knowledgeable would have a look at it (sadly, I'm no 3D artist).

I'm on linux, if it's relevant.

I think it would be great if the SCANsat would also be searching for the resources created by MKS / OKS and the Open Resource System

The dev build does. Go to the first post, in the header there is a link to the dev thread where you can download the dev build.