[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

For some reason I can't activate the Multispectral Sensor. I didn't have any issue with the Altimetry Sensor. I am using the same Sat base I did with the Altimetry Sensor, but I get no right click/activate menu. I have power and everything looks good. Anybody else have an issue with this?

Thanks.

JerryT

Edit update.

I got it to work, but had to put one on another satellite in the VAB, and placement was very picky. I tried it multiple times. Sometimes it would work, and other times not. I actually have it mounted facing inwards on this unit, but it worked in the VAB, and it worked in space.

Just make sure you can open it in the VAB after you mount it, and it should be good to go.

Edited by JerryT87

Is there supposed to be a SCANsatKethane.dll or something like that? The mod description says:...

The latest update, with changelogs is available on the first post of this thread; nothing has changed.

Hey guys,

Alright I figured out how to use Scansat, so I made an apollo like moonmission and I decoupled the lander from the command module, then after a while they were like 10km from eachother but if I look on the map in the lander (I use RasterPropMonitor) I can only see the lander on the map and not the command module (or any other probes orbiting the mun), is it even possible to see any other craft on the map? it sounds like a weird question but it would be really cool to see other crafts on the map too if I am in the lander.

Thanks

The big map only shows your current vessel, the small map only shows your vessel and other vessels with SCANsat parts, I'm not sure about the IVA map, but it's probably the same.

Just a little question: how do I zoom on the map?

Do I have to export it on a .png file for that?

Right-click on the big map.

For some reason I can't activate the Multispectral Sensor. I didn't have any issue with the Altimetry Sensor. I am using the same Sat base I did with the Altimetry Sensor, but I get no right click/activate menu. I have power and everything looks good. Anybody else have an issue with this?

Pictures? There should not be any problem with selecting the multispectral scanner anymore. Just put the mouse over the body of the scanner and it should be highlighted in green.

The dev version, [thread=96859]SCANsat v9.1[/thread] is up in the addon dev forum for anyone interested. It will only be released through GitHub (and Jenkins eventually), Kerbal Stuff will only have the stable version.

How can i use scansat in combination with mechjeb to find a nice flat surface to land on? i know how to use scansat, and i have fully scanned the planet i want to land on. but i would like to know how i can use scansat to find a flat surface and and translate the coordinates from scansat into mechjeb coordinates, because they use different coordinate systems.

thanks.

I'm having issues getting the ORSX integration working properly. I attempt to show the resource layer, but no overlay seems to appear, as seen in this image: http://i.imgur.com/exHWOmS.png. My logs can be found here (caution: 7MB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxgk2c5cz4388el/output_log.txt?dl=0.

I have quite a few mods running (heh), but don't particularly want to prune my install in case the issue is with my design and not with the plugin. The most obvious PEBKAC issue would be that I require the correct sensor system, though I have the orbital camera from ORS on the ship. I also haven't been particularly good about maintaining optimal altitudes, so that is another potential point of failure.

I'm a bit out of ideas for my ChopShop and still have free time. Maybe you need some new or replacement parts for SCANsat? I can model them for you - just give me a brief description or draft - like "what kind of sensors should BTDT replacement model have".

I'm having issues getting the ORSX integration working properly. I attempt to show the resource layer, but no overlay seems to appear, as seen in this image.

Resource overlays only appear on the big map, which I don't see in your picture.

If there is an issue, this line from Interstellar is repeated endlessly, taking up roughly half of the log file:

rd _Emissive: WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/RadialHeatRadiator/d_glow (UnityEngine.Texture2D)

I can extend Scan Sensor in the VAB but not outside, Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?

Need more info.

Will v8.0 run ok on 0.24.2 for those of us not upgraded to 0.25 yet?

Probably, I haven't tried it.

I'm a bit out of ideas for my ChopShop and still have free time. Maybe you need some new or replacement parts for SCANsat? I can model them for you - just give me a brief description or draft - like "what kind of sensors should BTDT replacement model have".

Something for the BTDT sensor would be nice, I'll think about what it should be.

A small Rover dish for BTDT would be awesome and if it rotated continuously would be fantastic

DMagic Orbital Science already have EXACTLY what you want, called "Anomalous signal sensor - BTDT". And I don't understand, why it is not in SCANsat pack yet, since person in charge is the same... Maybe he just does not want to mix mods?

anyone else tried getting this to work with kethane? for me both mods work but im not getting the kethane map overlay from scansat, only getting the kethane grid overlay. I also have karbonite installed which is being displayed by scansat as expected, I havent tried the KSPI or EL resources yet...

I'm also having an issue where the map simply doesn't display regardless of if a scanner part is activated, or the toolbar button is pressed. I also had multiple problems with the toolbar API, where some mods simply weren't displaying when clicking on their respective buttons, SCANSat included. Removing SCANSat from my GameData fixed that problem. Any help?

Resource overlays only appear on the big map, which I don't see in your picture.

If there is an issue, this line from Interstellar is repeated endlessly, taking up roughly half of the log file:

rd _Emissive: WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/RadialHeatRadiator/d_glow (UnityEngine.Texture2D)

New screenshot, with the big map: http://i.imgur.com/O0nFLWt.png

Log file without interstellar: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxgk2c5cz4388el/output_log.txt

Same issue, still no idea why. I don't have BTDT data, could that be the problem?

Hello! As I never had the chance to thank DMagic for the mod, Thank You! :)

Now, I'm curious.

According to the v8 release post and the Known Issues notes, the Kethane integration is not functional. So, as I never had the chance to test the Kethane integration before v8, I'd like to know:

How exactly does that Kethane integration used to work? Should I assume that we would have to activate both Kethane and Altimetry scans, but with the advantage that we could leave the probe scanning in the background, while controlling other vessels/KSC, and the Kethane would still be mapped?

Thanks!

Thanks for this excellent mod.

Question: On the "Big Map", does the "Export to PNG" currently work? I've got a full map I scanned (lo-res, b&w) and tried the "Export to PNG" button, but nothing happens. No .PNG shows up in my "\GameData\SCANsat\PluginData\SCANsat" folder.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm also having an issue where the map simply doesn't display regardless of if a scanner part is activated, or the toolbar button is pressed. I also had multiple problems with the toolbar API, where some mods simply weren't displaying when clicking on their respective buttons, SCANSat included. Removing SCANSat from my GameData fixed that problem. Any help?

Okay, so I tried the dev version (v9) and that seemed to fix the interference with the other toolbar windows, but SCANsat's windows still aren't showing up for me. The parts don't seem to open/animate when I activate them either.

Thx for this awesome mod!

Did you ever think about creating missions as well? Would come really handy in career mode if you get some money, science and rep for completing a scan on a celestial body (after you accepted a mission for that of course) so players can benefit from mapping and not only throw money at that task.

Guess it's possible - anyone like this idea?

New screenshot, with the big map:

Same issue, still no idea why. I don't have BTDT data, could that be the problem?

For ORSX resources you have to actually scan the surface with a SCANsat scanner. I was under the impression that MKS came with the Module Manager configs to allow for this, but I'm not sure that's true anymore. I think all of them got moved to the Karbonite scanner, though I think the plan is to change it back again. So the four standard MKS resources should be scanned with one part and Karbonite can be scanned with another. I guess you'll have to download Karbonite or wait until MKS updates. Otherwise I don't think there is any problem, everything seems to working fine according to the logs.

Hello! As I never had the chance to thank DMagic for the mod, Thank You! :)

Now, I'm curious.

According to the v8 release post and the Known Issues notes, the Kethane integration is not functional. So, as I never had the chance to test the Kethane integration before v8, I'd like to know:

How exactly does that Kethane integration used to work? Should I assume that we would have to activate both Kethane and Altimetry scans, but with the advantage that we could leave the probe scanning in the background, while controlling other vessels/KSC, and the Kethane would still be mapped?

Thanks!

I should make a more detailed tutorial about this at some point. For ORSX, as I said above, you must use special SCANsat resource scanners, most of which are provided by the addons that actually use them.

For Kethane you can use SCANsat scanners (the MM configs are provided here), this allows for background scanning, but it isn't actually necessary. The Kethane scanning data is taken directly from Kethane's database, so you can scan something with a regular Kethane scanner and it will all show up on SCANsat maps. You can also do the process in reverse, scan everything with SCANsat scanners then update Kethane's database (though getting the Kethane grid to update usually requires reloading).

There isn't technically anything wrong with SCANsat's Kethane integration, there is just something weird happening with the Geodesic Grid assembly that prevents SCANsat from accessing some of the methods it needs. I can build the GeodesicGrid.dll myself and it works fine, so we will just have to wait until Kethane updates before it works again.

Nevermind...found it in my "\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\PluginData\SCANsat" folder. :)

I think I see why the maps are getting saved to that location, but that's definitely not where they should be. I'll see about putting them back in the SCANsat/PluginData folder, or maybe making a better name for it like SCANsat/SavedMaps.

Okay, so I tried the dev version (v9) and that seemed to fix the interference with the other toolbar windows, but SCANsat's windows still aren't showing up for me. The parts don't seem to open/animate when I activate them either.

Need more info; log files.

Thx for this awesome mod!

Did you ever think about creating missions as well? Would come really handy in career mode if you get some money, science and rep for completing a scan on a celestial body (after you accepted a mission for that of course) so players can benefit from mapping and not only throw money at that task.

Guess it's possible - anyone like this idea?

Yep, it's about number 30 on the list of things to do, but I'll get there eventually.

Log file

Thanks for taking a look, been trying to get this to work all week.

Do you have problems with other addons too?

It looks like Tarsier is running into some errors when loading its scenario module, this seems to be preventing the SCANsat scenario module from being loaded (and presumably any other scenario module loaded after Tarsier) which breaks pretty much everything. I actually need to fix the SCANsat part modules so that they don't completely freak out when this happens. They should instead print out a single log error then shutdown, the same for the toolbar interface.

This is what happens whenever a scene loads.

[EXC 21:52:44.394] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
TarsierSpaceTech.TSTProgressTracker.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host)
ScenarioRunner+.MoveNext ()

Try getting rid of Tarsier and seeing what happens. Then make sure that is up-to-date and there aren't any known issues.

Do you have problems with other addons too?

It looks like Tarsier is running into some errors when loading its scenario module, this seems to be preventing the SCANsat scenario module from being loaded (and presumably any other scenario module loaded after Tarsier) which breaks pretty much everything. I actually need to fix the SCANsat part modules so that they don't completely freak out when this happens. They should instead print out a single log error then shutdown, the same for the toolbar interface.

This is what happens whenever a scene loads.

[EXC 21:52:44.394] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
TarsierSpaceTech.TSTProgressTracker.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host)
ScenarioRunner+.MoveNext ()

Try getting rid of Tarsier and seeing what happens. Then make sure that is up-to-date and there aren't any known issues.

Yep, SCANsat works, though I think that save is now broken, unable to go to any KSC building, and the "quit to main menu" button stops working.

Looking into seeing if Tarsier was fully up-to-date. If it is, I'll just load it up, remove the 3 probes I have out there that might have parts from it, and retry without it.

Thanks for the help!

Yep, SCANsat works, though I think that save is now broken, unable to go to any KSC building, and the "quit to main menu" button stops working.

Looking into seeing if Tarsier was fully up-to-date. If it is, I'll just load it up, remove the 3 probes I have out there that might have parts from it, and retry without it.

Thanks for the help!

That would be Squad's poor handling of deleting addons with custom Agencies.

See my instructions on handling this; alternatively you could just copy the Agencies folder from Tarsier's package and leave it in your GameData folder (it might need to be in the exact folder location it was before, just without the other Tarsier files) and it should work.

I should make a more detailed tutorial about this at some point. For ORSX, as I said above, you must use special SCANsat resource scanners, most of which are provided by the addons that actually use them.

For Kethane you can use SCANsat scanners (the MM configs are provided here), this allows for background scanning, but it isn't actually necessary. The Kethane scanning data is taken directly from Kethane's database, so you can scan something with a regular Kethane scanner and it will all show up on SCANsat maps. You can also do the process in reverse, scan everything with SCANsat scanners then update Kethane's database (though getting the Kethane grid to update usually requires reloading).

There isn't technically anything wrong with SCANsat's Kethane integration, there is just something weird happening with the Geodesic Grid assembly that prevents SCANsat from accessing some of the methods it needs. I can build the GeodesicGrid.dll myself and it works fine, so we will just have to wait until Kethane updates before it works again.

Thank you for the detailed answer! That clarified a lot.

--Edit--

I've been messing with my .24.2 backup copy of KSP, which has the old Kethane 0.8.8.1 and SCANsat v7rc4. But even in that version, Kethane doesn't seems to work correctly with SCANsat. I'm not asking for support to that old version, but I'd like to know; Was that Kethane problem occurring since KSP 0.24.2?

Also, something I noticed: After some minutes of testing around, I decided to install Karbonite 0.4.1 on that same KSP .24.2. And that added a new button to my Kethane scanner (!) : "Start Kethane Scan".

D9XD0Kb.png

And that was the only way I found to activate the Kethane grids in the SCANsat's big map. Everything else had no effect. And even though, no Kethane data was being actually gathered by that scanner. Although it created a line over where the satellite orbited, no Kethane was found. Like if the body had no kethane at all.

At the same time, running the default Kethane scanner on the classic way seemed to work right, detecting the mineral (creating the grid around the planet, on map view). But both scans won't sync with each other.

Uh, maybe I should bring this discussion to the Kethane official thread, instead?

Edited by Kowgan
Avoinding double post.