[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Just use the equatorial crossing lines on the orbit overlay to judge scanning coverage. If the crossing lines start to bunch up or overlap entirely then you are in a bad orbit. Very small changes in orbit can lead to big changes in scanning coverage, so it usually only takes a little bit of dV to get into a good orbit.

Just use the equatorial crossing lines on the orbit overlay to judge scanning coverage. If the crossing lines start to bunch up or overlap entirely then you are in a bad orbit. Very small changes in orbit can lead to big changes in scanning coverage, so it usually only takes a little bit of dV to get into a good orbit.

That's what I've done. I've actually just been sitting there with probes at different altitudes and inclinations testing it out.

Just seemed odd to me that in a thread about ideal orbits a fair few of them are at such low inclinations that they can't possibly scan the entire surface. Just wondered if maybe the FOV had changed or something, or maybe nobody questioned it before.

You could just do a 90 degree or maybe 85 degree orbit, that'll guarantee getting all of it, even if it just takes longer.

*has no clue what the best orbits are supposed to be anyway*...

"Best" orbits are those that scan the whole surface as quickly as possible.

Thought 1: Low orbits are better because the orbital period is shorter (more laps per hour).

Thought 2: High orbits are better because the FOV (Field Of View) covers a wider strip on each orbit.

Thought 3: If the orbital-period matches the rotational period of the body (eg; Kerbin-stationary orbit altitude) you'll go over the same strip every time.

Thought 4: If the orbital-period is a twice, or or three-times, (or half or a third) etc. of the body's rotation you have a 'resonant' orbit, which will only ever cover the same two, or three, etc. strips.

So it isn't quite as simple as always using the same altitudes (but it generally isn't too bad either, as DMagic said).

That's what I didn't understand from the orbits in that thread. Many simply don't work despite saying they are capable of a full scan in x hours. Some are great, but lots aren't. Just seemed weird to me.

That's what I didn't understand from the orbits in that thread. Many simply don't work despite saying they are capable of a full scan in x hours. Some are great, but lots aren't. Just seemed weird to me.

Oh yeah, you make a good point. I haven't looked at that thread for ages so had no answer for you; just a quick recap for those that don't know what you're talking about (and smjjames won't be the only one or the last one).

Can anyone help me out... I'm trying to add the scansat module to some stock parts but I just can't get it to work!

I've created a module manager file with...

@PART[mediumDishAntenna]

{

MODULE

{

name = SCANsat

sensorType = 2 //2^1

fov = 2

min_alt = 5000

max_alt = 800000

best_alt = 750000

power = 1

scanName = SAR Scan

animationName = Deploy

}

{

... but I have no option in the gui to start the scan. What am I missing? I can't see anything else in the part configs for the scansat parts.

Hello guys.

I just got SCANsat, and have set up 3 satellites in polar orbits with inclinations of perfect 90deg (100km alt.) around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus with all Scansat equipment. Kerbin reads 100% while Minmus and the Mun only read 90.0% each. Why is this? what is the other 10% and why am I not getting it? Thanks for any answers.

Personally I use an inclination of 87.5-ish for them. When you look at the map, change the map type and look for any blank spots. When you mouse over an area that is unscanned, it won't show a biome name. Typically I miss the polar regions a little bit when messing around with inclination settings.

For reference, I found http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75854-0-24-x-Ideal-SCANsat-Altitudes-v1-0-Aug-16 useful to get started. However I don't necessarily agree with some of the recommendations it suggests, I mostly use trial and error method with a satellite.

I just got SCANsat, and have set up 3 satellites in polar orbits with inclinations of perfect 90deg (100km alt.) around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus with all Scansat equipment. Kerbin reads 100% while Minmus and the Mun only read 90.0% each. Why is this? what is the other 10% and why am I not getting it? Thanks for any answers.

See posts 802 - 809 on the previous page, we were just talking about it :-)

See posts 802 - 809 on the previous page, we were just talking about it :-)

I just did. It didn't really answer anything for me. I can see everything for all 3 plantoids, so Why is minmus and Mun only 90%? shouldn't they be a hundred.

You are missing sections for the scan.

What I normally do is:

Satellite with 4 scanners KA-100, MKS camera, and two SCANsat ... err .. can't think of the names offhand (multispectral and radar I think) ... 253K ALT, 87.5ish INC around mun ... and takes roughly 4days to scan 100%. It isn't optimal by any means, but it works.

Hello guys.

Are you sure your map is 100% filled? Its possible your orbit is slightly resonant so it keeps missing the same section.

And are you putting all three scanner on one vessel?

I've only played with Radar Altimetry and Multispectral on one vessel.

If you're using all three, turn them all off and turn on one and see what its percentage is, if 100% then turn it off and move to the next.

Hello guys.

I just did. It didn't really answer anything for me. I can see everything for all 3 plantoids, so Why is minmus and Mun only 90%? shouldn't they be a hundred.

The sensors all have a different FOV (field of view). That is, they see a different width of the ground beneath them. Plus each body you're scanning is a different size. For those reasons, you can't use the same orbital height for different instruments and different planets/moons and expect to get the same coverage for all the instruments. Vary your orbital height. If you've got the poles covered well already, change your orbital inclination to 70º - 85º and get better coverage over the mid-latitudes. Etc.

There is no "one size fits all" solution to orbital mapping coverage for every instrument and every planetary body/moon.

There is no "one size fits all" solution to orbital mapping coverage for every instrument and every planetary body/moon.

But it should be possible to calculate close-to-optimum combinations of FOV, height, inclination and orbital height, right?

/me goes trawling some wiki pages on mathematics of orbital mechanics.

/me gives up and goes to ask Scott Manley :)

But it should be possible to calculate close-to-optimum combinations of FOV, height, inclination and orbital height, right?

/me goes trawling some wiki pages on mathematics of orbital mechanics.

/me gives up and goes to ask Scott Manley :)

No matter what you pick it'll be a compromise that won't get you 100% coverage of all bodies, for all instruments. If you WANT that, you're simply going to have to vary your orbit from time to time to get the missed areas. Kind of like in the real world.

Tricks for SCANSat orbits:

1st pass - 85-90 degree inclination, 50-100km Pe, 200-500km Ap

Wait 10 days (set an alarm in Kerbal Alarm Clock), change inclination +/- 5 degrees or Ap/Pe values a bit

Wait 5 days (set an alarm in Kerbal Alarm Clock), change inclination +/- 5 degrees or Ap/Pe values a bit

Wait 5 days (set an alarm in Kerbal Alarm Clock), change inclination +/- 5 degrees or Ap/Pe values a bit

etc...

I'm never in much of a rush to map everything as soon as possible, as long as most of it is mapped within 30-45 days, I'm content. I will right-click the instrument and look at the "Ideal / Sub-Optimal" values to see whether I am too high or too low.

What does it mean when the HI/LO/MULTI/BTDT on the mini map is coloured blue, instead of Green and/or Orange? I've made separate satellites for each scanning devices and put them in their ideal orbital heights (250km and 750km) at 90deg inclination.

What does it mean when the HI/LO/MULTI/BTDT on the mini map is coloured blue, instead of Green and/or Orange? I've made separate satellites for each scanning devices and put them in their ideal orbital heights (250km and 750km) at 90deg inclination.

Blue? [10chars

I've seen it turn blue once also, but I forget what the issue was. There doesn't seem to be any mention anywhere about it.

the documentation

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a question...

Is there any reason for leaving a satellite up in orbit with scanning active once the body orbited as been 100% scanned? Does the BTDT scanner need it, or does it read from your scanned maps?