[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

@NathanMcGuire30 The two things that most affect the map generation speed are the size of the map and your CPU. Bigger maps can take much longer to generate and slower CPUs are obviously slower.

There are a few ways that SCANsat tries to minimize this, only the first time you generate a map for a planet should be slow, it has to generate and cache all of the terrain elevation data. After this first time you can refresh the map, switch to different map types, or change the map projection type without having to recreate the terrain database. Even on slower CPUs refreshing the map shouldn't cause much noticeable slow down.

If you change the map size, or switch to a new planet, the database has to be regenerated, which will slow things down again.

It's best to pick a map size and stick with it, and to avoid switching between planets as much as possible if the map generation speed is too slow.

@MedwedianPresident No, but I should add a cheat option to allow this (something that will have to be set in the config file, not in game), so that you can fill in any given map, or all of them at once.

On 8/6/2016 at 8:52 AM, NathanMcGuire30 said:

I was wondering how long is it supposed to take for the entire map to load, and is there a way to change it.  It takes a long time to draw the entire map every time I want to look at one thing, and in videos that I watched, it seems to load much faster sometimes.

Big maps always take a while, and the bigger the window, the more time it takes.  I use a few workarounds:

• Use a smaller "big" window
  • Use a large "big" window, but take screenshots / export images for later
  • Use the "zoom" window (which I think is a right-click on the big map, or the button on the mini-map), it's faster
  • Use the overlay mode, which false-colors the planet in the game with the resource densities (usually pretty fast)

The last two options don't use the big map at all and can be driven from the mini-map (which is small and quick).

@MedwedianPresident Not really. The only way to transfer maps to a new save is by manually copying the map coverage data from an old save and pasting it into your new save. Since editing a save file is a good way to break it I'm not going to endorse that, or explain in detail how to do that. Like I said, the next version will have an option to turn on the cheat "fill map" button.

On 8/7/2016 at 9:17 AM, WuphonsReach said:

Big maps always take a while, and the bigger the window, the more time it takes.  I use a few workarounds:

• Use a smaller "big" window
  • Use a large "big" window, but take screenshots / export images for later
  • Use the "zoom" window (which I think is a right-click on the big map, or the button on the mini-map), it's faster
  • Use the overlay mode, which false-colors the planet in the game with the resource densities (usually pretty fast)

The last two options don't use the big map at all and can be driven from the mini-map (which is small and quick).

Also, the overlay mode's terrain maps are basically instant and use pre-computed data (generated once each time you start KSP). The draw-back is that they are based on very low resolution data (360*180 maps, the same as is used by the continuously updating small map) with some interpolation to make them look a little nicer.

54 minutes ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Can anybody who has completed the mapping of all bodies in the Kerbol system offer me their maps for download?

An important question here is just what you hope to accomplish.  The KSP wiki has some maps - at least a topographical and biome for each body that has such - even if they are bit out of date in some cases.  There's also the link @fourfa gave a few posts up which has what appear to be good maps.

Of course, most of those don't have resource/ore concentration, but that's for good reason: That concentration is not static.  It's random on a per-savefile basis, so my maps of it won't work for your game.  (Or even for my next game.)  I see a few people who appear to be thinking they can download maps of resource distributions to plan bases (or even use good places from one game to the next), and it doesn't work that way.  You have to scan your own solar system to know where things are.

16 hours ago, DStaal said:

Of course, most of those don't have resource/ore concentration, but that's for good reason: That concentration is not static.  It's random on a per-savefile basis, so my maps of it won't work for your game.  (Or even for my next game.)  I see a few people who appear to be thinking they can download maps of resource distributions to plan bases (or even use good places from one game to the next), and it doesn't work that way.  You have to scan your own solar system to know where things are.

That's not true. SCANsat doesn't store map data, it stores scanning coverage data.

If an area of a planet has been scanned with a resource scanner, SCANsat will see that it has been scanned and report the accurate resource concentration for your particular game.

SCANsat version 16.4 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It includes updates for Contract Configurator 1.15+ support, and a new hidden cheat option to allow for filling in map scanning. Add the line "cheatMapFill = True" to the SCANcolors.cfg file in the Resource folder to activate it; go to the Settings window to use the option.

The stock ModuleResource and RESOURCE nodes are now used to handle power usage. RPM maps now calculate the local min and max terrain levels to generate more useful maps when zooming in. And some potential errors when using old or out-of-date versions of Toolbar have been fixed.

SCANsat version 16.5 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes a bug with resource usage that was preventing scanners from working in some cases.

@Lego8_bit I'll need more detail. It seems all of the IMGUR galleries on the first post have been eaten, I'll have to see about adding or replacing them...

Hey..could I get a tiny bit of help, perhaps? I may be being a total nub here, but I have a sat in orbit of Mun, at 250, with the multispectral scanner thingy, the small map shows its scanning progress as normal, but when i click on "big map" its all grayed out :( I made sure it was set to the right planet/moon in the top right, and refreshed it, yet still all gray....

This a bug? Or am I missing something simple here?

Here's a pic of the big map, just as reference.... Ky4T4Hg.png

Edited by DracoSilverpath