[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Unbunch your knickers - SCANsat is available without ModStats perfectly fine. All you need to do is report the post to a moderator who will remove the link asap, or hopefully technogeeky has the time to remove it from the OP him/herself and point it to the Github distro. There's no sense in stirring up something that is easily handled by simple reporting the rule-breaking post.

My knickers are quite unbunched. Maybe it would have been better to send a heads-up PM instead, but as the download link itself stands right now, it'll be in violation of the new TOS. I'm glad to hear there's a version without MS bundled, changing the download link should be a pretty easy thing to take care of, and will protect people who have created and achieved more than me in the realm of creating things for KSP from having their work taken down.

Edit: Leaving it up is your call, the decision on whether MS is or isn't in violation of the new TOS is neither of our calls. If it's already been removed from the newest release, the OP likely should be changed to reflect that to prevent future confusion.

Edited by Hremsfeld

My knickers are quite unbunched. Maybe it would have been better to send a heads-up PM instead, but as the download link itself stands right now, it'll be in violation of the new TOS. I'm glad to hear there's a version without MS bundled, changing the download link should be a pretty easy thing to take care of, and will protect people who have created and achieved more than me in the realm of creating things for KSP from having their work taken down.

Removed...

Just a quick note to say I installed and played with SCANsat last night for around 4 hours.

Loads of fun, like you say giving satellites an actual purpose. Also unlike many I've not discovered any easter eggs (though I know of some, just not where they are) in the game yet and I'm going to be using SCANsat to locate them all eventually.

Great mod. Thanks for creating it and its continued support.

N1tch

How do you set this mod to add the scanner to probes and pods automatically? I would hate to have to redo my ENTIRE GPS satellite array of 12 satellites.

any craft with an antenna can access the scansat network now (at least for me?), you do not need that config added. i think he was trying to ask how to add the actual scanners to his orbiting sattelites.

which Carl, you should not do. you only need 1 scansat in orbit (of each scanning type, there are 4 parts) and these parts need to be at different orbit altitudes to work most efficiently, also the flight path of a commsat would not necessarily be the most efficient scanning orbit either.

check out the info in the thread, or try google for some older posts, its easy to learn how to use in a short period of time.

Not happy to find what I consider spy ware bundled into your mod. It been removed. I'll consider very carefully anything I download from you from now on. You are not to be trusted.

Well, good job no-one is forcing you to download this then. Don't want "spyware" (lol)? Then don't install it. Also, you know its incredibly easy to disable, right?

The SCANSat devs haven't had time to update it to follow the new forum rules, so they removed the download link instead. The next version has been very stable so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until it's ready for release before linking to compiled versions here.

how can i download the compiled version i dont find the link?

You can click "source" on first posta and on github page above a purple bar you'll see "releases" button. You can get any version from here.

Not sure if direct link was removed or it was always like that.

Edit: Oh, it was violating new rules. Well, you can still download it "on your own risk" i guess.

Hello everyone,

So far I have used SCANSat v5, and I've just today installed Karbonite [24.2].

SCANSat v5 doesn't seem to work with it, so I tried to install v6.1 but it's a total mess.

Folder organization is totally different, I've "deleted" (with backup) my v5 folder in GameData, and put the new one. It just doesn't work (and I've lost all vessels with scan part, so I used my backup).

How can I make it work ?

Hi, I have a question. I have attached SCAN Altimetry Sensors to my satellite. Unfortunatelly those sensors work only when I`m "sitting in satellite". When i return to space center no data is recorded BUT when I go back to my satellite all sensors are extended but in fact they are not working. When I click 'start scan' the sensors start extending again from zero. Now i have the image recorded but when I come back to space center the same situation happens. How to force those sensors to work independly from my control?

Hello! I have been dabbling in KSP for a few months now and decided to install the ScanSat and Karbonite mods, but while scanning maps using the ScanSat sensors seems to be working just fine, fitting the Comms DTS-M1 antenna to any ship makes the framerate on the launchpad drop to something like one frame every two seconds. Anyone know how I could circumvent this? Is this a Karbonite problem, or do I have the wrong version of something or other? I tried looking for the newest versions available.

edit: I've got the 7r4 version. Everything but ships equipped with the dts-m1 work just fine.

edit2: probable solution here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89401-24-2-Karbonite-Mineable-Burnable-and-Community-Friendly-0-3-3-2014-08-26?p=1376493&viewfull=1#post1376493

will check when I get home..

//Z

Edited by zyranyth

I did a search of the thread, and I didn't see an answer so I figured I'd just ask.

Why does the Wiki show the ideal altitude for the RADAR Altimetry sensor as 5km, which is also its minimum altitude? Is that a typo?

I would assume the higher the altitude the better, to give the detection beam a larger width. The other sensors show Altitude(best) in the descriptions, is there any reason why the RADAR sensor doesn't?

Thanks!

When I go to launch at the launchpad or runway, there's a significantly high chance (≈25%) that KSP will freeze on the black loading screen. When I check player.log I see many mentions of ScanSat.

I'm curious if this means ScanSat is the cause of it freezing, and if not, could somebody help me figure out what is?

A couple Player.log files are available here.

When I go to launch at the launchpad or runway, there's a significantly high chance (≈25%) that KSP will freeze on the black loading screen. When I check player.log I see many mentions of ScanSat.

It would appear that you are running out of memory.

I don't know why the SCANsatKethane entries are showing up at the end of the logs, you don't have Kethane installed so SCANsatKethane is behaving as it should and is simply not being loaded. The same entries are present about TweakScale, so I'm not sure that they mean anything.

Just above that though, this shows up:

KSP(22420,0xa03ac1a8) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=25694208) failed (error code=3)
*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 25165888B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture
Allocation happend at: Line:411 in

Hi, I have a question. I have attached SCAN Altimetry Sensors to my satellite. Unfortunatelly those sensors work only when I`m "sitting in satellite".

With this version of SCANsat, v6.1, you have to be using a vessel with an activated SCANsat part for background scanning to work. It doesn't work while in the Space center / tracking station. That's been fixed in the dev version though and will be updated here soon.

Hello! I have been dabbling in KSP for a few months now and decided to install the ScanSat and Karbonite mods, but while scanning maps using the ScanSat sensors seems to be working just fine, fitting the Comms DTS-M1 antenna to any ship makes the framerate on the launchpad drop to something like one frame every two seconds.

Make sure you are using the latest version of Karbonite and that your ORS/Plugins folder has ORS v1.2 and nothing else.

I did a search of the thread, and I didn't see an answer so I figured I'd just ask.

Why does the Wiki show the ideal altitude for the RADAR Altimetry sensor as 5km, which is also its minimum altitude? Is that a typo?

Reasons... Ideal altitude is anything above what's labeled "ideal" up to the max altitude. Many of the scanners could probably use some rethinking.

I wanted to use the radar to get a map of duna in its real colors, is there a way to do that?

congrats on the mod, it's awesome!

Unfortunately, no, but it's a good idea and has been suggested before.

Edited by DMagic