[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

That reminds me; I wonder if it would be useful to update the OP to explain that the "ideal" altitude is ideal only because, although the scanner will cut a like swathe anywhere up to the maximum, it will orbit more quickly. That took me a few goes to figure out.

[thread=75854]BEST ORBITS[/thread]

@KSP Forums

I admit I am too dumb to read that ... I was hoping for something simpler ... like "when you are above 75km, then you are in space" simple...

Also https://github.com/technogeeky/MapSatAltitude hasn't been touched for a year now and I am not so sure if it is really still uptodate.

I know that the optimal, max and min altitude of the scanner was also based on the planet radius ... but as far as the documentation of S.C.A.N.sat goes that is not a thing anymore ... and the code* is not that clean considering the handling of the planets is done by planet name not by attributes.

I was about to rewrite the code*² but before that I really need to know about that ... is this still is a thing that if the body is too small (or too big) that the altitudes are changing?

*=https://github.com/technogeeky/MapSatAltitude

*²= or more likely rewrite it in a language that actually runs on my machine without need for a VM

I think I encountered a bug regarding the surface scanning module.

I had two crafts docking together one had a module the other not. After docking it told me that the combined craft don't have a scanner (instrument window) had to (switch to a scene which is far enough that the vehicle is unloaded and) reload the vehicle (by switching back) to make it work.

I also had this by disembarking out of a MK1 Cockpit. The kerbal (Bob, the science guy ... but in sandbox) got the scanner readings (like: Ore 4.23%) and he had clearly none attached but the craft which had two (cause of balancing) told me that is has none (after going back in).

Tell me if I should investigate this further

Small feature request for the Big Map: Add something to indicate which side of the planet/moon is sunlit? There's nothing more frustrating than picking a landing-spot on the Mün only to discover it's on the night-side, and your solar panels won't get any sunlight!

Suggestion(pretty please with sugar on top):

Could you add at least one conformal map projection(mercator, stereographic polar, ect)? That would help immensely to know the bearing of a flight path relative to the north, which would be useful for correctly launching into the plane of an orbiting spacecraft from the surface.

It's a possibility. I can look into some other map projections.

I admit I am too dumb to read that ... I was hoping for something simpler ... like "when you are above 75km, then you are in space" simple...

I've never really cared about the ideal orbit stuff and don't really understand any of Technogeeky's code for it anyway, so I don't spend much time worrying about it.

I think I encountered a bug regarding the surface scanning module.

I had two crafts docking together one had a module the other not. After docking it told me that the combined craft don't have a scanner (instrument window) had to (switch to a scene which is far enough that the vehicle is unloaded and) reload the vehicle (by switching back) to make it work.

Yep, that's a bug with updating the vessel for the instruments UI.

Is there a way to analyse the resource scan data to get science points like the rest of the mod?

Nope, but maybe there will be in a future update.

Small feature request for the Big Map: Add something to indicate which side of the planet/moon is sunlit? There's nothing more frustrating than picking a landing-spot on the Mün only to discover it's on the night-side, and your solar panels won't get any sunlight!

This is something that's been on the to-do list forever, but I've never really gotten around to it. It would be nice if can be done quickly, maybe for the small map, but the big map might be trickier.

Are you able to get custom waypoints to show on the map? I have Waypoint Manager installed and I cannot get them to show on the maps. I thought I had been able to before.

They should show up, but you'll have to change scenes/reload before new waypoints are visible, it's a limitation of how waypoints are detected.

Hi

I'm having an Error in my logs related to Scansat or ...?

and i can't find out why. Finding no solution per google

Maybe someone can help me with that?

I fixed all issues that i found in the logs in the last days except this one

Im using the WIP EVE Overhaul

[INFO] ContractConfigurator.ContractDisabler: Disabled 4 ContractTypes. 
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[SCANsat] Error While Loading SCANsat Colors: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ConfigNode.ParseColor (System.String vectorString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SCANsat.SCANcontroller.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

output_log.txt:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04626747113912723334

ksp.log

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00199188229722419756

My Modlist

AmpYear Power Manager + Reserve Power + Ion RCS (AmpYearPowerManager 1:V1.0.1.0)
Asteroid Day (AsteroidDay 1.0)
Atomic Age (AtomicAge 3.0)
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts (B9AerospaceProceduralParts 0.40)
Bahamuto Dynamics (Parts pack) (BahamutoDynamicsPartsPack v1.2.0)
BahamutoD Animation Modules (BDAnimationModules v0.6.2)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.6)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.4.4)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 2.1)
Connected Living Space (ConnectedLivingSpace 1.1.3.1)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.6.3)
Contract Pack: Advanced Progression (ContractConfigurator-AdvancedProgression 4.5)
Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor (ContractConfigurator-AnomalySurveyor 1.3.0)
Contract Pack: Base Construction (ContractConfigurator-BaseConstuction 0.2.1)
Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.0.6)
Contract Pack: Historic Missions (ContractConfigurator-HistoricMissions 1.4.0)
Contract Pack: Kerbin Space Station (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2.2)
Contract Pack: RemoteTech (ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech 2.0.0)
Contract Pack: Rover Missions by Whyren (ContractConfigurator-RoverMissionsbyWhyren 3)
Contract Pack: SCANSat (ContractConfigurator-ContractPack-SCANsat v0.5.2.1)
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus (ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.1.8)
Contract Window + (ContractsWindowPlus 5.3)
ContractPack: Kerbal Aircraft Builders (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAircraftBuilders 1.1)
Corvus -1.25m Two Kerbal Pod (Corvus125mTwoKerbalPod 1.1.1)
Crew Manifest (CrewManifest 0.6.0)
Crossfeed Enabler (CrossFeedEnabler v3.3)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.0.7)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.2.0)
Docking Sounds (DockingSounds 1.2)
Dr. Jet's Chop Shop (ChopShop 0.7.3.2)
Editor Extensions (EditorExtensions 2.12)
Enhanced Navball (EnhancedNavBall 1.3.6.0)
EVAManager (EVAManager 6)
Extraplanetary Launchpads (ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads 5.2.2)
Filter Extensions - Plugin (FilterExtensions 2.4.1)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.1.4)
Fusebox (Fusebox 1.50)
Haystack Continued (HaystackContinued 0.4.1.0)
HGR Props (HGR-Props 1.3.0)
HotRockets (HotRockets 1.0.4.1)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.4.1)
Impact! (Impact v1.1.0)
Improved Chase Camera (ImprovedChaseCamera v1.5.1)
Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Core Pack (IR-Model-Rework-Core v01b)
Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Expansion Pack (IR-Model-Rework-Expansion v01b)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 1.15)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 1.15)
JebediahKerman42's Procedural Parts Textures a.k.a. FreedomTex (FreedomTex 1.5.1)
Jettison Fuel (JettisonFuel 1.01)
KAS Portable Science Container (PortableScienceContainer 1.3.0)
KDEX - Kerbal Dust Experiment (KDEX v1.04)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.4)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.0.18.0)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.1)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KerbalJointReinforcement v3.1.4)
Kerbal Stats (KerbalStats 2.0.0)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 1:beta-02-4)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.1.5.0)
LLL (LLL 14)
Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics (InfernalRobotics 0.21.3)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.5.3)
Mkerb Inc. Science Instruments (MkerbIncScienceInstruments 0.7)
Modular Fuel Tanks (ModularFuelTanks 5.6.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.6)
ModuleRCSFX (ModuleRCSFX v4.1)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 0.5.2)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 0.4.3)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 0.5.3)
Near Future Spacecraft Parts (NearFutureSpacecraft 0.4.3)
Outer Planets Mod (OuterPlanetsMod 1:1.7.2)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 3.0)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings v3.15)
Procedural Parts (ProceduralParts v1.1.7)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor v0.21.2)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core v0.21.2)
RCS Build Aid (RCSBuildAid 0.7.2)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.6.7)
SCANsat (SCANsat v14.1)
Ship Manifest (ShipManifest 4.4.1.1)
Sigma OPM Expansion (SigmaOPMExpansion 0.7.1)
SmartStage (SmartStage v2.6.2)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.6.7)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.5.7)
Station Science (StationScience 1.5)
Stock Bug Fix Modules (StockBugFixModules v1.0.4b.2)
Surface Lights (surfacelights 1.0)
Tarsier Space Technology with Galaxies (TarsierSpaceTechnologyWithGalaxies vV5.4.1)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer 2.4.7)
Throttle Controlled Avionics - Continued (ThrottleControlledAvionics 2.3.0)
ToadicusTools (ToadicusTools 15)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.9)
Trajectories (Trajectories v1.4.3)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.3.1.0)
Tweakable Everything - Engine Staging Toggle (TweakableEverything-EngineStagingToggle 1.12)
Tweakable Everything - Fairing Staging Toggle (TweakableEverything-FairingStagingToggle 1.12)
TweakableEverything (TweakableEverything 1.12)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.1)
Universal Storage (UniversalStorage 1.1.0.7)
USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.4.1)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.4.1)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 0.31.6)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.1.5)
USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.3.1)
USI Tools (USITools 0.4.2)
Vessel Viewer (VesselView v0.71)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.4.2)
[X] Science (xScience 4.7)Adjustable Landing Gear (AdjustableLandingGear v1.2.0)

Hi

I'm having an Error in my logs related to Scansat or ...?

and i can't find out why. Finding no solution per google

This is your first time loading KSP after installing SCANsat? It seems that way and is normal, it's trying to load something that isn't there; it would probably be better to handle this without causing an error message (there are a handful of other harmless error messages that could probably be removed), but it doesn't matter much unless it continues.

Does the error repeat on subsequent loads (it doesn't repeat after scene changes)? It shouldn't happen after you load KSP once and change scenes once.

Tested a little bit.. the "Error" occurs only while KSP loads

No more entries n the logs starting or loading a savegame or scene changes

My first post in the Forum after sitting over the logs full of exceptions every day for weeks an its not a bug ^^

THX anyway for your great mods and quick answer...

I like them very much

DMagic I think your sped-up map loading has had an adverse affect on this mod's RAM usage - it now allocates about 50MB RAM more than it used to under v0.90 when you load up a vessel. I only have a few hundred MB of overhead for my game, a little over a GB at most even under the best cases where I take extra measures like removing planet/cloud textures, so every little bit counts... Personally I'd take slower map rendering for more RAM overhead. Doesn't sound like much, but given the leak that occurs with every scene switch, 50MB is a couple more times I can go back and forth between vessels or the tracking station before the game crashes.

Anyone who tries to point me towards the 64-bit hack - thanks but no thanks.

DMagic I think your sped-up map loading has had an adverse affect on this mod's RAM usage - it now allocates about 50MB RAM more than it used to under v0.90 when you load up a vessel.

The changes made for better performance in 14.1 have no impact on RAM usage. The background loading of the small terrain height maps is more or less a wash. Small maps are loaded for each planet once, then stored, but those same maps were already loaded at startup before, they were just empty. I do actually need to fix a few things related to this, there are several things that shouldn't be initialized when scanning data and maps are being loaded, but this is relatively minor. Maybe 5MB for the entire set of stock planets.

The biggest RAM difference from v12 to v14 is the planetary overlay maps. These can swallow up a bit of RAM. I have already started working on fixing some of this, but some increase in RAM usage is unavoidable when generating big textures.

The single biggest RAM user is the big map. It can be a very large texture (it can be re-sized up to Unity's limit, I think around 10k pixels wide), and caches its data. If you are switching planets a lot, or re-sizing the map a lot it will use lots of RAM, it should get dumped eventually, but it can still be a problem.

The biggest RAM difference from v12 to v14 is the planetary overlay maps. These can swallow up a bit of RAM. I have already started working on fixing some of this, but some increase in RAM usage is unavoidable when generating big textures.

Oh, right - I forgot about all the new ore scanning and stuff that came into the mod with KSP v1.0 - I still haven't really played in v1.0 yet. That's quite understandable

Seeing your memory tests inspired me.

I did some quick checking on my latest build. Most of the improvements are in how the small map is handled and how the scanning data for each planet is initialized. There are some other improvements to the overlay maps, but I don't think those should show up in this quick test.

cYXbWFx.png

Without the one weird 14.1 outlier the difference is 15MB in both the Space Center and the flight scene.

Hopefully I can find some other significant memory savings.

Hello to all.

I am looking for a config that will allow SCANSAT to work with / see the OPM Kopernicus package.

Where have i missed this???

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

SCANsat works fine with planet packs. I never had an issue with it, I see resources with stock scanner and see them on the maps.

So I don't know what you mean?

Hey DMagic, like I indicated over in the DMOS thread, KIS doesn't evaluate the volumes of your parts properly because of a stock bug involving MODEL{} nodes and rescaleFactor. The correct volumes for your parts are:

Scanner (Radar): 69.28

Scanner2 (SAR): 507.92

Scanner24 (Multispec): 72.56

Scanner32 (BTDT -- also would be good to be equipable, since it's useful at ground level): 20.80

(I'm happy to make a pull request with these values, if you're interested.)

SCANsat works fine with planet packs. I never had an issue with it, I see resources with stock scanner and see them on the maps.

So I don't know what you mean?

I found the problem.

I had not tabbed to the new planets yet in the TS. ONce i did that, they showed up in ScanSat.

All is well.

All is good.

Bacon for all.