[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

• 3 weeks later...

@DMagic

If I wanted to add ScanSat integration with some of my other mods, would (as a start) copying the two modules (SCANsat & SCANexperiment) from the existing part be enough?

Are you aware of any other mods which have already done this, so I can use their MM configs as a template?

Thanks in advance

@linuxgurugamer This is the config I use for adding a scanner to Orbital Science: https://github.com/DMagic1/Orbital-Science/blob/master/GameData/DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/DMagicSCANsatScanner.cfg#L63-L87

If you want a part that supports more than one type of scan you can add multiple SCANexperiment modules for the different types. And if you want resource scanners you would just the ModuleSCANresourceScanner instead of the SCANsat module (one inherits from the other, so they have the same fields, just some additional logic for handling resource scanning vs standard scanning).

3 hours ago, DMagic said:

@linuxgurugamer This is the config I use for adding a scanner to Orbital Science: https://github.com/DMagic1/Orbital-Science/blob/master/GameData/DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/DMagicSCANsatScanner.cfg#L63-L87

If you want a part that supports more than one type of scan you can add multiple SCANexperiment modules for the different types. And if you want resource scanners you would just the ModuleSCANresourceScanner instead of the SCANsat module (one inherits from the other, so they have the same fields, just some additional logic for handling resource scanning vs standard scanning).

Great! 

So, these are going to be added to very small parts from both the Microsat and Octosat mods.  How would  you suggest modifying the configs to reflect that?

On 5/16/2018 at 7:23 PM, DMagic said:

@linuxgurugamer If you want to make the scanners less powerful you can try reducing the fov value, maybe changing the min and max scanning altitudes so that they have a narrow range, and probably reduce EC consumption.

One more question.  In the SCANsat module:

MODULE
{
	name		= SCANsat
	sensorType	= 2  //2^1
	fov		= 2
	min_alt		= 5000
	max_alt		= 800000
	best_alt	= 750000
	scanName	= SAR
	animationName	= Antenna
	RESOURCE
	{
		name	= ElectricCharge
		rate	= 1.5
	}
}

is the animationName a deployment animation, or a continuing animation while the scan is in progress?

Edit:  I did some tests, and it appears to be a deployment animation.  However, I came across a small problem:

I had a module which deployed the animation first, and then I tried the scan.  But if the scan is has the animationName specified, the animation snaps back to the closed position and then slowly deploys as expected.  Is there any way to be able to leave it deployed if it already is?

Edit 2:  What I'd like to do is to be able to have it deploy and stay deployed, and then be able to do scans.  I would like to prevent it from being retracted, if possible.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamer The deploy animation is tied to the scanning function. So when you start scanning it will always try to play the deploy animation forwards, and the reverse when stopping a scan.

You could just leave out the animation name from the SCANsat module and make the deploy use a separate animation module. But then scanning would function separately from the animation state. If you really wanted to have more control over it you could write your own animation module (or just extend a stock module), then disable and enable the SCANsat module's KSPEvents as needed. All of that could be done using just PartModule and the Events field with the SCANsat method names to avoid any tricky reflection.

The SCANresourceScanner module basically does this this, using the ModuleAnimationGroup from the stock scanner parts to handle the deploy and retract animations, then toggling the scanning functions separately. But it is made specifically for resource scanners and I'm not sure if would work correctly in other contexts.

• 2 weeks later...

@DMagic Is there a way to clear out the planetary scans we've done, so that each planet is an unknown/unscanned entity again so we can redo the scans, but without getting science points for doing them again? The reason I ask, I've already done resource scans for Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus, but when I did my initial scans I had Angel-125's Mod constellation installed and they offered several choices of resource types and I didn't realize it. After I changed the settings in the mod to use the actual set of resources in the game to use the ones I want, and have now added RoverDude's Karbonite mod, the scan sat resource maps and planetary overlay are still showing the older set of resources that I'm not using, and aren't actually present anymore because mod settings have changed. I've tried just rescanning but it doesn't change the resource map that already exists. I could just delete the mod and reinstall a blank copy, I'd imagine, but I'm afraid that would give me all the science for re-scanning the bodies again, that I've already collected. I know it's not much science, and i'll go that route if it's the only way, It just feels cheaty to me. Thanks for any help.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:31 AM, vardicd said:

@DMagic Is there a way to clear out the planetary scans we've done, so that each planet is an unknown/unscanned entity again so we can redo the scans, but without getting science points for doing them again? The reason I ask, I've already done resource scans for Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus, but when I did my initial scans I had Angel-125's Mod constellation installed and they offered several choices of resource types and I didn't realize it. After I changed the settings in the mod to use the actual set of resources in the game to use the ones I want, and have now added RoverDude's Karbonite mod, the scan sat resource maps and planetary overlay are still showing the older set of resources that I'm not using, and aren't actually present anymore because mod settings have changed. I've tried just rescanning but it doesn't change the resource map that already exists. I could just delete the mod and reinstall a blank copy, I'd imagine, but I'm afraid that would give me all the science for re-scanning the bodies again, that I've already collected. I know it's not much science, and i'll go that route if it's the only way, It just feels cheaty to me. Thanks for any help.

Have a look here on the wiki and it explains the two reset options you have for Scansat (screenshot at top of Wiki page)

Edited by wile1411

Hi,

Using 1.4.3 and Scansat 18.6, finally got around to starting a career and started scanning. Have a weird bug on the map. All of the lat/lon readouts when I put a cursor over the map will have the same digit in the lat, and a same digit for the lon (ex. 3 3 3.23, 20 20 20.49). the fractions will change, but the values will only update to the same number Also, no N,S,E,W indicators. I have Mun scanned to 99%, 100% low res at only 1% remaining on hi res, but it also shows up in the hi res parts of the map.

Logs/pic are here

Thanks

19 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Have a look here on the wiki and it explains the two reset options you have for Scansat (screenshot at top of Wiki page)

Well, this worked on resetting the maps, however it didn't reset the resources. when it scans it's still showing the previous resources that I'm no longer using, so I may have to pull the mod completely to reset the resource map, I don't know.

@vardicd What are your SCANsat resource scan settings? And what resources are you using? If there is anything not from the Community Resource Pack then it probably isn't supported by SCANsat and you'll need to add support yourself (and probably remove support for any unused resources if there is not enough space for them).

@Gilph It looks like there is a bug in those readouts. It's just reusing the same number for some reason. I'll fix that for the next version.

On 6/6/2018 at 8:20 AM, DMagic said:

@vardicd What are your SCANsat resource scan settings? And what resources are you using? If there is anything not from the Community Resource Pack then it probably isn't supported by SCANsat and you'll need to add support yourself (and probably remove support for any unused resources if there is not enough space for them).

Scan sat doesn't seem to be showing any of the resources from RoverDudes constellation of mods, Karbonite for example, and I swear scansat used to integrate his mod resources. What's even worse for me with scansat installed it disables the stock overlay, so I can't see his resources in the stock system. All I'm seeing is resources from angel-125s mods, like blutonium hexgen and zeonium, even though I have those resources disabled now. And my internet got turned off yesterday so I have very little capability to give you logs or screenshots at the moment.

Edited by vardicd

13 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Scan sat doesn't seem to be showing any of the resources from RoverDudes constellation of mods, Karbonite for example, and I swear scansat used to integrate his mod resources. What's even worse for me with scansat installed it disables the stock overlay, so I can't see his resources in the stock system. All I'm seeing is resources from angel-125s mods, like blutonium hexgen and zeonium, even though I have those resources disabled now. And my internet got turned off yesterday so I have very little capability to give you logs or screenshots at the moment.

The 'Classic Stock Resources' configs from Angel-125 override the 'Community Resource Pack' configs for ScanSat.  What you need to do is remove this file:

GameData/WildBlueIndustries/ClassicStockResources/Templates/Utility/Scanners_SCANsat.txt

Then you'll be able to use CRP resources again.

I'm not sure if this is the best design decision on @Angel-125's part, but on the other hand I do see that with ScanSat's limited number of resources there aren't enough resource ID's for both the CRP resources and the Classic Stock Resources.    Maybe this should be a Patchmanager config?  Either way, know that they don't play well together, and changing the setting in the WBI control panel doesn't change which resources you can see in the world.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/KXxfv0b

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/5niyiAM

Best I can do for screenshots from my phone

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The 'Classic Stock Resources' configs from Angel-125 override the 'Community Resource Pack' configs for ScanSat.  What you need to do is remove this file:

GameData/WildBlueIndustries/ClassicStockResources/Templates/Utility/Scanners_SCANsat.txt

Then you'll be able to use CRP resources again.

I'm not sure if this is the best design decision on @Angel-125's part, but on the other hand I do see that with ScanSat's limited number of resources there aren't enough resource ID's for both the CRP resources and the Classic Stock Resources.    Maybe this should be a Patchmanager config?  Either way, know that they don't play well together, and changing the setting in the WBI control panel doesn't change which resources you can see in the world.

Thanks for the heads up trying that now

I got a contract related question. In my exuberance to try out my new all in one scanning probe I completed scanning Minmus for Ore before accepting the contract to do that.  The contract to scan for Ore shows 4 conditions which are all met, except for 1 which says must not have scanned x % already. So I thought I might be able to reset the map and resource data for Minmus and get the contract to become available. But although it now shows all 4 conditions are met, it hasn't made the contract available. 
So I was wondering if there was a way of forcing the contract to become available?

btw, I absolutely love this mod! Love the parts and the change to game play it brings (and that it fixes the mickey-mouse stock resource scanning).  This mod in conjunction with Orbital Science and Remote Tech makes for some awesome probe missions.  Big thanks @DMagic, for all your work on this and Orbital Science!! They are both really exceptional mods.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I noticed a bug in the Lat/Lon display at the bottom of both the big map and zoom map. The Lat/Lon display is not doing the math to break the cursor position into degrees/minutes/seconds.  It's displaying as degrees/degrees/degrees. 

Looking at the code it looks like there was a change in the last release that removed the math to correctly calculate degrees/minutes/seconds from SCANuiUtil.cs/toDMS. 

SCANsat v18.6 in KSP 1.4.4 installed from CKAN

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e0gz04qcKDZv9vM4zpcYLGjb8N94ZiY2/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Tonka Crash

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I noticed a bug in the Lat/Lon display at the bottom of both the big map and zoom map. The Lat/Lon display is not doing the math to break the cursor position into degrees/minutes/seconds.  It's displaying as degrees/degrees/degrees. 

Looking at the code it looks like there was a change in the last release that removed the math to correctly calculate degrees/minutes/seconds from SCANuiUtil.cs/toDMS. 

SCANsat v18.6 in KSP 1.4.4 installed from CKAN

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e0gz04qcKDZv9vM4zpcYLGjb8N94ZiY2/view?usp=sharing

I've noticed this too.  I think it started when I upgraded to 1.4.4.  I never noticed it on 1.4.3.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the 1.3.1 compatible 18.4 version with RSS. Trying to do contract missions for particular waypoints, but the waypoints drift with rotation.
The orbit track in the map window is very useful for this as it compensates for drift...however I don't see the orbit tracks showing up as yet (the button is enabled).

Does orbit tracking require a certain tech level or tracking station level 2 possibly before they show up?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, the tracking station upgrade dialog says that level 2 is required to show orbits in the map.

Edited by Starfire70