[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

I need the actual version number of Regolith to be able to help.

It also looks like you've got something screwing up some of SCANsat's icon and toggle textures. I'm not sure what causes that, but I've seen it before, so I'd love to know. I imagine some exclusion config needs to be updated.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I can't find a version for Regolith, it was packaged with MKS v 0.22.9.

Hello. I am not sure if it is supposed to be like this or not, but it seems odd to me.

Basically I have global 100% Karbonite resources on global map on Kerbin and on Mun and Minmus (have not scanned others) I have global 1%. No hot spots or 0% areas.

I have seen in the videos that there are hot spots and empty fields on the map ( pic ) but that's Kethane. Isn't it alike as Karbonite or Karbonite have global presence ?

DEL03.jpg

-

Or it is simply wrong interaction with the 2 mods or third party mod is messing my installation ?

Here are my pictures :

tQSiHsg.jpg

2X3IwnM.png

EunPlWG.jpg

rFU8wX5.png

Basically I would like to find a hot spot and figure out where to set up my mining base, but with 1% global deposits (or at least map showing that) it is not very neat. Also 1% is not very nice. I have not scanned Around Eve and Duna, but I assume the readings will be the same. Possibly Scan side issue, but I will post it in both topics, hoping on fix. I have an orbital base to assemble in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Mapoko

EDIT : Actually, there are 0% spots, but no "hotspots" Is that intentional or just issue on Mun and Minmus ?

Kk6EGIN.jpg

sl7eFLz.jpg

Edited by Mapoko

Hotspots no longer exist. Kerbin has global 1% of all resources so you can test stuff. You will need to ground truth your scans using by taking a sample using the Portable Karbonite Sample Kit or ScanOMatic Soil Sample System for each biome to get full data. Or you can turn off ground truthing in ScanSat.

• 2 weeks later...
I've tested it in sandbox mode.

Parts are working OK.

Big map is buggy.

Probably needs an update of the tech tree integration and new resources support.

That is crazy and a little shocking to me....would think with the amount changed for 1.0 this would be totally inoperable without an update. Just out of curiosity did either of you look for errors being generated while testing? How bad is it spamming the log? A rather durable bit of code ya got there!

Can NOT however agree with the Commish'....I got to have the big map! =P

One think I didn't like about the new resource scanning system. I don't like the instascan. I can understand it took too long to scan planets when requiring it to do the orbits. But seems to me that that could have been solved by just using a wider scan beam to do it in fewer orbits. Now it makes no sense to use a polar orbit when it can instantly scan the whole planet from any point in it's orbit.

I might be (another) odd one but to me it was actually part of the excitement, the wait. I'd launch a sat into orbit for scanning, then be off for a different mission while the scan proceeded. Using the low res alt scan on Mun to pick a suitable landing site and having to wait for the result actually added to the game, for me. No more "let's shuttle over there and get the landing done already", but "let's get the preliminary ground work done then before the landing attempt". Insta-scan would to me be a leap backwards. But that's just how I enjoy the game and everybody's mileage vary.

Edited by LN400

RE the instascan.

What folks are not realizing is that the mechanic is radically different from Kethane or SCANSat. Meaning, in both of those cases the orbital scan is the end game - that's basically it. In the case of stock, the orbital scan is just your very first (and very low resolution) step at getting a rough approximation of what is on the planet. It's not until you use all three scanners together (which have different mechanics) that you get that whole view, and each has their own series of limitations.

I was actually working with someone over skype last night who was in the Kethane/progressive scan camp until about half an hour in when they finally went through all of the mechanics, and the proverbial light bulb went off and they realized how the system's pieces tied together, and how the orbital surveyor tied into things (and they became a very strong convert in favor of the new mechanics).

Not saying everyone will have the same epiphany, but I would say that the orbital scan is a very small part of a much larger series of mechanics, and really is not meant to be your primary way of figuring out where to land ;)

Personaly I LOVE the stock scanning mechanics!!!

Yea..the first orbital scan is fast...but meh and time warp scanning (#beentheredonethat)...add the other 2 scanners though and you gotta put some leg work in to hit the real paydirt!

Add some SCANsat in ontop of that...gonna be a scanning sat paradise!!!!!

RE the instascan.

What folks are not realizing is that the mechanic is radically different from Kethane or SCANSat. Meaning, in both of those cases the orbital scan is the end game - that's basically it. In the case of stock, the orbital scan is just your very first (and very low resolution) step at getting a rough approximation of what is on the planet. It's not until you use all three scanners together (which have different mechanics) that you get that whole view, and each has their own series of limitations.

I was actually working with someone over skype last night who was in the Kethane/progressive scan camp until about half an hour in when they finally went through all of the mechanics, and the proverbial light bulb went off and they realized how the system's pieces tied together, and how the orbital surveyor tied into things (and they became a very strong convert in favor of the new mechanics).

Not saying everyone will have the same epiphany, but I would say that the orbital scan is a very small part of a much larger series of mechanics, and really is not meant to be your primary way of figuring out where to land ;)

The most excitement I had with Kethane was when I sent a scanner probe out to Dres (I think) and didn't have enough dV to get into orbit.

Instead, my scanner zipped past but caught a segment of Kethane in it's last few segments of scan. I actually laughed out loud. Follow-up missions altered altitude and inclination to adjust for resonance and I learnt a lot about orbital manoeuvres during the process.

It's that sort of "tantalising glimpse" and educational reward that the insta-scan doesn't offer. In a game of multiple orbital variations, it offers a very fixed reward.

Please don't take that as a bash - totally not meant to be. I think the work you've done on developing the resource system and making it open to other modders is exactly what the game needed - and you were certainly the right chap to do it. This is just a philosophical difference, I think, about what the 'end game' really is. The 'end game' of a fully-scanned planet is inconsequential to the journey and learning process of achieving it.

RE the instascan.

But can't there be a reasonable middle ground? Like, what if instead of insta-scanning the entire planet, you only insta-scan the parts that are immediately visible? That could be as much as half of an entire planet, which would require two or three scans at most to get all of the information that you could want out of the big scanner. It isn't as efficient as insta-scanning the entire planet, but it is more immersion and involves the player more.

RE the instascan.

What folks are not realizing is that the mechanic is radically different from Kethane or SCANSat. Meaning, in both of those cases the orbital scan is the end game - that's basically it.

No it most definitely is not! (IMHO). Haven't played Kethane, so can't comment on that, but SCANSat is one of the few mods to actually give a use to satellite probes, and provides a great start-game when exploring a new body. The mid-game is the detail-scanning, and the end-game is the actual resource gathering (whether it's ISRU, science from different biomes, or landing at anomalies). It was an absolutely brilliant game-progression in combination with Karbonite and taught a lot about setting up scanning orbits which are both efficient as well as covering the planet.

With the stock scanning mechanic, there is no start-game. Just attach the scanner to your mission pod, polar orbit, BANG, dunnit, now straight off and perform the detail scans on the same mission, possibly even landing and starting to mine, all in one go.

With a SCANSat-like mechanic, you'd FIRST send a probe off to scan your target, then while it's doing that, design, build, and launch your detail-scanner/mining-rig/science-lander missions. By the time you get the actual mission launched and on it's way to the destination, your low-res scan is done. And for the people that just want to send a single mission, time-warp completes the scans in a couple of minutes anyway.

Sorry, RD, but some people would prefer not to have the Insta-scan, no matter how you justify it. Not saying it's a bad solution, but it's not for everyone, and it would be awesome if modders could override it.

Wow...no one is seeing it....

You dont just attach one scanner and BINGBANGBOOM your done scanning....for you have only done 1/3 the scanning.

I have been doing it like this:

Dish orbital scan (the insta-scan) gives you clues on basic ore distribution. Then the cluster scan is used...it has small area so ya dont just scan the whole body...but rather actively use the scanner to refine data from first scan, zeroing in on the best landing spots. Once your on the ground the surface scanner is used...not passive but again activly to zero in even more and then...PAYDIRT!!! start zee drills!

Honestly this is the most immersive and ACTIVE scanning mechanics to date in KSP...and still the joy of long term scans with SCANsat....

kinda bums me out not everyone is enjoying it as much as me =(

Edited by SydKhaos

Some aspects of the game require much micro-management and the aid of mods, external tools or calculations by hand(!), but here it's just "polar orbit -> ??? -> insta-scan!". I'm talking about basic stuff like deltav-requirements, launch-windows, heat-management or the switching between map and vessel view during ascent.

And having a planet scanned in mapsat is definetly not the endgame! Once the scanning is done, the scans be used for picking proper landing sites, regarding of slope, height, nearby biomes and now ressources.