[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Haha, noooo. I do like the slope maps and always try to see them for usefullness, even though it doesn't work a lot.

Maybe you can change the slope maps to something like contour height map, something like this or maybe mix it up.

I'm supposing the maps are actually from a pre-generated image file, is it possible?¿

Using a pre-generated file is kindof what I had in mind. I have an idea on how to generate a much more useful slope map. I need a high-res altimetry export to test on though.

This was never a requirement.

Could have sworn that for the scanner to actually do scanning, it had to be on the active vessel. At least, that's how it always seemed to work for me anyway.

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking Kethane.

Edited by TheMariner
Duh

Um, so I realized I posted in another thread (dev thread?), figured I might get a quicker reply here.

I'm jumping into SCANsat for the first time for 1.0. I usually tend towards simple stock tweaks or light parts packs as far as mods go, but my realism OCD just can't handle the magic surveyor. Plus this mod looks super cool, and 1.0 integration looks great.

Couple of questions/clarifications (Sorry if these are answered somewhere in the thread; I've looked it over for twenty minutes or so now. Also I'm a SCANsat noob and might not understand everything fully yet.):

- If I disable the magic one-button surveyor scan, what exactly does that turn the surveyor into? Does it now act like a SCANsat part, and if so, does it have different functionality from other dedicated SCANsat parts?

- Does SCANsat interact at all with the stock resource overlay on the orbital map?

- As far as the Narrow Band Scanner's functionality goes, is it still useful for pinpointing high concentration areas? Is the zoom map intended to fill this roll in SCANsat? (I know by default you need a NBS to gain access to the zoom map, so I'm assuming the functionality is similar.)

Thanks!

Edit:

Eek, just now noticed the release thread. Should I be posting there?

In the latest version, if you are playing in SCANsat mode (rather than Default), can you use the stock resource overlay in map mode? Or does SCANsat disable that feature, only letting you see resources on the SCANsat maps? Love how far this mod has come, but I think it might turn me off it makes a stock feature feel like it was broken off.

Or does SCANsat disable that feature, only letting you see resources on the SCANsat maps?

No, the stock resource scanning functions are not affected by SCANsat.

I

- If I disable the magic one-button surveyor scan, what exactly does that turn the surveyor into? Does it now act like a SCANsat part, and if so, does it have different functionality from other dedicated SCANsat parts?

It functions as a standard SCANsat part, see the first post and the GitHub ReadMe for more details on resource scanning.

Module Manager is required for for all non-stock resource scanning operations.

- Does SCANsat interact at all with the stock resource overlay on the orbital map?

- As far as the Narrow Band Scanner's functionality goes, is it still useful for pinpointing high concentration areas? Is the zoom map intended to fill this roll in SCANsat? (I know by default you need a NBS to gain access to the zoom map, so I'm assuming the functionality is similar.)

See above and the documentation; its functionality is unaffected. Zoom map resource restrictions are up to the player to decide (Module Manager is not required for these restrictions).

Hi

I just want to report that i start nearly with 70 % of the scanning done, but in real there is much less done.

See Image: https://i.imgur.com/z7Eq67M.png

Thanks for looking into that :-)

Also can you make Scansat detect He3 resources mod ? -> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117804-1-0-5dim-Helium-3-Space-mining

Edited by ManuxKerb

I just want to report that i start nearly with 70 % of the scanning done, but in real there is much less done.

That readout shows the percentage for each active scanner on the current vessel. What scanners do you have on that vessel? If you have resource scanners and you have already scanned a planet's resource it might show up that way. You can turn off any active resource scanners if you already have complete coverage.

Also can you make Scansat detect He3 resources mod ? -> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117804-1-0-5dim-Helium-3-Space-mining

Yes, if it's a planetary resource, but if you want it added in less than, say 3 to 4 months, you can add it yourself.

You can either add to the existing SCANresource.cfg file in the SCANsat/Resources folder, or simply add a config file somewhere else in the GameData folder.

The format for SCANsat resource sensor configs is:

SCANSAT_SENSOR
{
name = Ore
SCANtype = 256
}

The entire file is available on GitHub if you want to check it out. Just make sure to use a free type number. 512 is open, as is 131072, or any factor of 2 higher than Karbonite's number. Just make sure the "name" field matches the actual resource name exactly.

Hi Dmagic,

I made these two modifications:

/This one:/

SCANSAT_SENSOR

{

name = He-3

SCANtype = 512

}

// This one for actually be able to scan it with the MKS Antenna

@PART[MKS_Antenna]:FOR[sCANsat]:NEEDS[KolonyTools]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSCANresourceScanner

sensorType = 108160

fov = 4

min_alt = 10000

max_alt = 750000

best_alt = 100000

scanName = Resource Scan

power = 0.5

activeModule = True

forceActive = False

}

}

I had all sensors wich i had unlocked till then on the vessel.

Thanks!

Quick question with regard to the small map.

Ive got a ship in orbit and with both the Radar Altimetry Sensor and the Multispectral Scanner. Both types of scan have been fully completed and i can view either the Altimetry or Biome map in the "Big Map" Screen. The small map only seems to show the Altimetry data though. Is there anyway to have the biome data in the small map screen?

For biomes and resources yes. Altimetry maps maybe. Slope maps are worthless, I'd get rid of them if I didn't think people would pitch a fit.

Good heavens, no, please don't! I find slope maps useful to pick out potential landing sites. I'm currently mapping Duna in v0.9 (because my PC isn't quite up to running KSP 1.0), and the combination of altimetry and slope maps is helping me pick potential sites for my lander. I've already eliminated one site that otherwise looked interesting because the slope map indicates the terrain is probably too rough and/or tilted. I wouldn't even attempt another Mun landing (my current bete noir) without slope information from SCANsat.

Pretty sure I'm running the most recent version - not getting any science on transmitting, even when a scan is supposedly maxed out.

"Pretty sure"?

Also we will need a modlist, best would be screenshots of gamedata and the scansat folder. Logs are always good.

For biomes and resources yes. Altimetry maps maybe. Slope maps are worthless, I'd get rid of them if I didn't think people would pitch a fit.

I do use the slope maps sometimes and I still find them useful. They could still be improved on IMO, maybe with info on the slope degree to help with determining slope?

Also, I'm getting this exception when I take the stock planetary scanner, narrowband scanner, MKS/OKS planetary camera, and Karbonites scanner out of the editor part list. Other SCANsat linked scanners are fine.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at SCANsat.ModuleSCANresourceScanner.findSurvey () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SCANsat.ModuleSCANresourceScanner.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Pretty sure I'm running the most recent version - not getting any science on transmitting, even when a scan is supposedly maxed out.

Probably Science Alert, make sure you update to the latest version.

Also, I'm getting this exception when I take the stock planetary scanner, narrowband scanner, MKS/OKS planetary camera, and Karbonites scanner out of the editor part list. Other SCANsat linked scanners are fine.

This only happens in the VAB/SPH? And it only happens once? It's a simple fix, but I think the only affect is that it probably won't let you assign action groups.

Question:

I set a landing target in the zoom map (passive mode, because I don't have/use MechJeb), but now I can't seem to be able to remove it. How do you remove a landing target?

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a note about that somewhere. Select the target icon again in the zoom window, then click somewhere inside of the zoom window, but outside of the map itself, the info readout on the bottom is the simplest place.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a note about that somewhere. Select the target icon again in the zoom window, then click somewhere inside of the zoom window, but outside of the map itself, the info readout on the bottom is the simplest place.

Yes, that worked just fine. Thank you!