[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

The question have been already addressed in a thread, but it didn't receive an answer, so I'll try again: can I change a big map render speed? I takes a tremendous amount of time to render and it won't save already rendered maps, so if I switch say from water to ore and then back to water again, I will have to sit through entire rendering time again. This is really painful.

Thanks in advance.

Remote Tech 2. I just hate having to reorganize my darn commsats as they drift slowly out of formation (VERY slow, but enough).

SMA-Savegame-Editing (tweaking/cheating?) helps.

No more drift.

The question have been already addressed in a thread, but it didn't receive an answer, so I'll try again: can I change a big map render speed?

Not really. You can make it smaller, or get a better CPU, or rewrite SCANsat's map generating code. Otherwise there isn't much to be done about the map speed.

I don't know if this has been said, but in my install, waypoints (from contracts) sometime appear on the big map and small map on the exact opposite side of planet. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks for reminding me. I think technically this is a bug in how FinePrint and KSP handle coordinates; waypoints get stored with values like 100o S and 50o W, which gets turned into 80o S and 130o E. :confused:

I've fixed this for the next version.

Edited by DMagic

Thanks for reminding me. I think technically this is a bug in how FinePrint and KSP handle coordinates; waypoints get stored with values like 100o S and 50o W, which gets turned into 80o S and 130o E. :confused:

I've fixed this for the next version.

<3

Also, I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but are SCANsat compatible with EL?

Dumb question I'm sure - But how in the nine Dunas do you keep a sattelite aligned onto the surface? I've tried every maneuver on my OKTO Pod. I leave it for a few minutes and come back to the sattelite no longer scanning Mun.

(250KM Orbit around the poles... I think? It's going straight vertically on the space sensors, crossing the cyan coloured biomes... yes I am that much of a KSP Newbie :( )

Dumb question I'm sure - But how in the nine Dunas do you keep a sattelite aligned onto the surface? I've tried every maneuver on my OKTO Pod. I leave it for a few minutes and come back to the sattelite no longer scanning Mun.

You don't need to keep it pointing at the surface. Just enable scanning via the right-click menu and it'll scan until you tell it to stop. Although if you do want to keep it pointed at the surface to simulate realism Persistent Rotation mod will do that for you

Is there any way to make ScanSat less hardware hungry? I do love this mod, but it seems it needs more cpu power than ksp itself. I'm playing on a really old rig (core2duo e6600), and while ksp is doing good, trying to work with the big map in scansat is a pain. Please add some sort of map cache, so that rendering work needs only to be done once.

Edited by Tahib

Anyone else have any issue with activating scanners causing FAR to constantly update voxels for the vessel? This is on latest dev build of FAR and scansat. I have a heli with the first altimetry scanner. After I active it and even after the animation stops playing FAR continues to update the voxels for the ship which should only happen during an animation. It makes flight pretty much impossible with constant lag from FAR. I dont know what the cause would be other than some call happening when the radar scan is engaged that triggers FARs voxel updates. Even after then retracting and stopping the scan the updates continue to happen every few seconds from FAR. Just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue before I investigate further.

• 2 weeks later...

Altimeter: problem calculating percentage? I am stuck at 94.4% for Kerbal and I see not a single pixel that is not checked on the map. I got the mission to deposit a scanning satellite at around 78% incliination on a 498km orbit, which Idid. Scanning 2 weeks now and basically the picture says I am finished (large map), while the percentage is 94.4

Out of ideas here... Is that a (known) bug?

Are you sure you scanned the whole surface with every sensor on board? The sensors have different FoVs. Switch through all the maps in the big map window.

Also I'm not sure if you can cover Kerbin's poles @ 78° inclination. That might not be enough.

To make sure your satellite covers everything bring it into the lowest possible orbit (don't go too below the sensors' minimum range) with an inclination of almost 90°. Also make sure that this orbit doesn't resonate with Kerbin's rotation or you won't cover everything.

Altimeter: problem calculating percentage? I am stuck at 94.4% for Kerbal and I see not a single pixel that is not checked on the map. I got the mission to deposit a scanning satellite at around 78% incliination on a 498km orbit, which Idid. Scanning 2 weeks now and basically the picture says I am finished (large map), while the percentage is 94.4

Yes, it's likely that you are missing the poles and just don't realise there is a gray band there that is actually scanable.

So it is a problem with the contracts generation then. Because I am quite exactly in the required orbit. As I need it to complete the contract - damn, I Will have to launch another satellite. And this is not a cheap launch at 90 degree ;) Thanks.

So it is a problem with the contracts generation then. Because I am quite exactly in the required orbit. As I need it to complete the contract - damn, I Will have to launch another satellite. And this is not a cheap launch at 90 degree ;) Thanks.

You seem to be conflating two different contracts.

As far as I know only the SCANsat lite pack requires 95% scanning completion, but has no specific orbital requirement. The old SCANsat contract pack has specified orbital parameters, but only requires 50% completion.

This is why screenshots of the problem at hand would help (ie the contracts involved, images of the scanning map, vessel, etc...).

Am I doing something wrong or am I bugged? I can't seem to see the stock Ore resources on the Big Map.

The Resources button is glowing on the left side after I click it, and under the resources button on the top, I click on Ore, but nothing changes.

With a 78 inclination, I think you have missed a big part of the poles.

Am I doing something wrong or am I bugged? I can't seem to see the stock Ore resources on the Big Map.

The Resources button is glowing on the left side after I click it, and under the resources button on the top, I click on Ore, but nothing changes.

I just started a game in 1.0.4 with SCANSAT. I have not sent up a sat yet but the map window pulls up.

What resource scanning settings are you using? Did you actually scan the planet?

Did Anyone tried on 1.0.4, I would try it myself but I made a commitment to not start KSP till some essential mods are updated :D

It will probably work fine. Unless there is some major problem I won't update this version. I'll hopefully update the dev version in a day or so. After that it shouldn't take long to update to the next major release.

What resource scanning settings are you using? Did you actually scan the planet?

It will probably work fine. Unless there is some major problem I won't update this version. I'll hopefully update the dev version in a day or so. After that it shouldn't take long to update to the next major release.

I'll put in a version override on CKAN so it shows up as compatible.