[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Not 100% sure this issue is my fault or otherwise, so I'm throwing this question out there...

I've got a two contracts that came up to scan the Mun and Minmus for Ore (95%). I'm using the stock M700 scanner and the ScanSat map shows 100% for both moons, but neither contract completes. Both contracts look like Stock contracts (from Kerlington and MAXO) and not the SatScan contract pack (which I don't think does Ore contracts anyway)

I've got the Resource settings set to:

Resource Biome Lock - ON

Instant Resource Scan - OFF

Requires Narrow Band Scanner - ON

Disable Stock Scnning - ON

Are one of the above settings stopping the contract completing? Or am I just doing something stupid here?

Or does selecting the "Requires Narrow Band Scanner" option mean I've got to scan the entire planet with that first before the contract realises it's finished?

Edited by wile1411

Not 100% sure this issue is my fault or otherwise, so I'm throwing this question out there...

I've got a two contracts that came up to scan the Mun and Minmus for Ore (95%).

There are no stock scanning contracts. This one comes from the SCANsat lite pack.

The M700 doesn't scan for Ore, it gives a low resolution scan for all resources; this is, internally, a different resource, so it won't count for the contract.

To get the high resolution Ore scan and complete the contract you have to use the Narrow-Band scanner.

The only way to complete the contract without the Narrow-Band scanner would be to turn the Instant scan back on (and disable stock scanning off) and complete the stock resource scan, that would fill in the map for all resources. But that also kind of defeats the purpose of using SCANsat scanning.

The "Requires Narrow Band Scanner" option is there to limit the zoom map resource overlays, planetary overlay tooltips, and instruments window resource readouts. With that option turned on you'll need a Narrow-Band scanner on board or in orbit to use those features, it doesn't have any effect on the contract or on actual scanning.

I should probably see about incorporating the SCANsat lite contract pack into the standard SCANsat package, rather than relying on a separate download. I would probably also modify the contracts a bit, and make it ask for the M700 resource scan, not the high resolution scan.

Ah - thanks for that - I'll test that with a new game and some hyper editing in the morning. The contract specifically says use the M700 and that's what had me confused.

I think I'll keep my settings as-is if the additional NB scanner pass works. I'm in career mode and don't have access to the NB scanner yet, so the fact that it's required indicates it might need that little tweak you mentioned in that contract details - either to lower it so a M700 scan wil complete it or raise it to require the NB scanner 95%.

Thanks again!

Ah - thanks for that - I'll test that with a new game and some hyper editing in the morning. The contract specifically says use the M700 and that's what had me confused.

I think I'll keep my settings as-is if the additional NB scanner pass works. I'm in career mode and don't have access to the NB scanner yet, so the fact that it's required indicates it might need that little tweak you mentioned in that contract details - either to lower it so a M700 scan wil complete it or raise it to require the NB scanner 95%.

Thanks again!

Completely my fault, for misunderstanding how the M700 works in ScanSat. I'll look to get a fix out shortly. Apologies!

Completely my fault, for misunderstanding how the M700 works in ScanSat. I'll look to get a fix out shortly. Apologies!

Thanks for the pack severedsolo. Been having fun with all the requirements that keep popping up as I work through the tech tree. Adds a lot of fun to the already awesome mod from Dmagic. Cheers!

DMagic,

Thanks for the advise above - I unlocked the NB scanner and ran the test and the contact completed.

Seperate question regarding the Big Map on the Color Mgt page... Just wondering if the Min/Max settings under the resourse selection area are just a 'filter' or are they supposed to set to range for the colors?

Ie: Assume Map of Mun and resource setting of 'Low' to a yellow color and 'High' to blue.

With Min of 0% and Max set to 7% - I'll see the map with graduation of color from yellow to blue

If I set it to Min 5% and Max 7% - I really only see the blue end of the ore concerntration with no real difference on the map between 5% and 7%

If those setting are just a filter, is it possible to set to colors so they "rescale" based on the min / max values?

ie I'd see Yellow as 5% (anything less is not colored as already happens) and a graduation of values to the blue of 7%. Obviously this wouldn't be that useful with the low rez scan being whole numbers, until you get the NB scanner - but when it is available it make it easy to color deposits between 4%-8% and see the differences.

Gameplay-wise I imagine that you may not want it so people don't simply go for the highest areas only as rescaling the colors would highlight those like neon. But I figure if the user had already gone to the effort of unlocking and using the NB scanner, it might be allowed. Interest to hear what you think.

Seperate question regarding the Big Map on the Color Mgt page... Just wondering if the Min/Max settings under the resourse selection area are just a 'filter' or are they supposed to set to range for the colors?

Derp... well, it's intended to work as a range for the colors, I just implemented it wrong. It's an easy fix though, thanks for pointing it out.

Hey DMagic, like I indicated over in the DMOS thread, KIS doesn't evaluate the volumes of your parts properly because of a stock bug involving MODEL{} nodes and rescaleFactor. The correct volumes for your parts are:

I'll include these in the next update, or is it easier to just do all of the scaling in the MODEL nodes?

Edited by DMagic

I'll include these in the next update, or is it easier to just do all of the scaling in the MODEL nodes?

Scaling in the MODEL nodes is probably the safer bet in the long run, since it avoids the root-causal bug entirely. (It would still be great to have a KIS patch that lets the BTDT sensor be equipable like the DMOS experiments are.)

I'm trying to add a few resources and I am having a very hard time figuring out what I am doing wrong here. I have requested info or direction before in the MKS thread due to the fact I was using his scanners. Wrong place I guess and they tried to educate me.

I'm trying to get ScanSat to recognize Alumina, Throium and Plutonium. I will show what I have done so far and maybe some one can point out what are where I am missing the correct cfg's.

Within the "Community Resource Pack" I have placed the needed

PLANETARY_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Plutonium

ResourceType = 0

PlanetName = Kerbin

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 100

MinAbundance = 1

MaxAbundance = 10

Variance = 95

Dispersal = 3

}

}

for each of the resources only using Kerbin as a test bed.

Then I placed the additions to the "common Resource" cfg if it did not have an asset within. Which it turns out they do have all the resources I was wanting but for Plutonium loosing its realistic Plutonium-238 values.

I then placed additions into the ScanSat "SCANresources cfg the additional resource

SCANSAT_SENSOR

{

name = Karbonite

SCANtype = 262144 //2^18

}

SCANSAT_SENSOR

{

name = Plutonium

SCANtype = 524288 //2^19

}

Then I added this into the MM_Parts file inside the SCANsat_Resource_Scanner cfg

@PART[surveyScanner]:FOR[sCANsat]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSCANresourceScanner

sensorType = 1048576

fov = 4

min_alt = 20000

max_alt = 750000

best_alt = 200000

scanName = Resource Scan

power = 0.5

}

}

Changing the sensor type to the Double value of the last sensor type value of 524288 which covers the entire scansat sensor type values if I'm correct, which I think I'm not.

With all of what I have included, shouldn't the resources show up with in the resource tabs? Could some one list a step by step how to introduce a new resource and have it show up for use with the Survey Scanner with overlays, as well as the finite scanning of an Orbital high res scanner. Or maybe just lead me or link me some better instructions or tutorials please? I have tried several different ways to get this to work, I'm not going to show them all, but I have placed alterations and additions to every file I can find that deals with resources in ScanSat and the parts. Really could use some help from you guys. Thx

I'm trying to add a few resources and I am having a very hard time figuring out what I am doing wrong here.

First off, did you try out the resource additions using the stock system? Make sure you can get planetary resources to show up with stock resource scans first, just to check that the configs are working.

Thorium and Alumina are already SCANsat resources, so nothing needs to be added, but your Plutonium config won't work. The SCANtype 524288 is already taken, it is a special value used by the M700 scanner that covers all valid planetary resources (I should probably update the SCANresources file to clarify that); you'll have to use the next value, 1048576.

Next, don't change the M700 sensorType in the Module Manager config, as I said, it uses a special sensor type.

To add high-resolution scanner modules to a new or existing scanner you can either add separate MM configs for each resource type, or change the sensorType for an existing high-resolution resource scanner. For instance, if you want to add the high-resolution scanners to the MKS antenna just change the sensorType to 1162368, that should cover all three new resources and the standard MKS resources.

You'll also want to add the resource display modules to the MKS antenna:

MODULE
{
name = SCANresourceDisplay
sensorType = 2048
ResourceName = Thorium
}

etc...

This mod has been great for scanning biomes and altitudes, but I'm totally lost on resources. The ScanSat instructions on Resources don't help, because they assume too much knowledge on my part about the stock resource scanning system.

I've got a satellite over the Mun at a 500km polar orbit, with an M700 and an M4435. On the resource settings, I've disabled stock scanning and left the others unchecked. But when I deploy the M700, I don't get an option to start a resource scan. I only get the option for the survey. Deploying the M4435 doesn't seem to do anything, either. It only gives options to retract the scanner or open the GUI. And the GUI complains that I haven't run the resource survey.

Best I can tell, the resources scanners are working as if ScanSat isn't running at all. What am I missing?

Thx D for thr quick response. I was trying to use the M700 as the primary planitary survey scanner. I was going to use it the same way you would use the MKS antenna, by adding all the values inside the M700's MM file. If I change the M700 survey scanners sensorType back to 524288, then change the plutonium value to 1048576 and have the total MM cfg look like this, then it should work correct?

@PART[surveyScanner]:FOR[sCANsat]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]

{

MODULE

{

sensorType = 524288

fov = 4

min_alt = 20000

max_alt = 750000

best_alt = 200000

scanName = Resource Scan

power = 0.5

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 128

ResourceName = MetallicOre

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 256

ResourceName = Ore

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 2048

ResourceName = Thorium

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 4096

ResourceName = Alumina

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 32768

ResourceName = Minerals

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 65536

ResourceName = Substrate

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 1024

ResourceName = Uraninite

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 8192

ResourceName = Water

}

MODULE

{

sensorType = 1048576

ResourceName = Plutonium

}

}

Or would I need to change the the main ModuleSCANresourceScanner to include this variable 1162368 instead of the prexisting 524288? I'm getting this piece by piece so bare with me buddy. And thx again. I'm trying to avoid needing to use any additional mods to use SCANsat and its mapping ability is all. If you think I should just alter other antennas then I will do that instead.

MODULE

{

sensorType = 1162368

fov = 4

min_alt = 20000

max_alt = 750000

best_alt = 200000

scanName = Resource Scan

power = 0.5

}

edit: One last thing, the Planetary resource values include,

Variance = 10 does this mean how many locations the material shows up on the map?

Dispersal = 10 And is this the rate at which they are separated?

Edited by ArkaelDren

In the planet overlay I can see the slope percentage. Is there any place in the small or big map that has slope percentage? It is very useful for selecting a landing site, especially with mechjeb.

Yep, that can be added.

Best I can tell, the resources scanners are working as if ScanSat isn't running at all. What am I missing?

Possibly Module Manager, it is required for all resource scanning.

One last thing, the Planetary resource values include,

Variance = 10 does this mean how many locations the material shows up on the map?

Dispersal = 10 And is this the rate at which they are separated?

If you want the M700 to be used for all high resolution resources, at least those you've shown, just set "sensorType = 1162624" (the value that you have is 256 less, so I'm assuming that you want stock ore scanning there as well, since you have the display module included). That will give high resolution values for all of those resources, though it won't affect the narrow-band scanner requirements, so you can turn that option off if you want.

I'm not positive about those two config values, I think variance adjusts how much separate biomes differ in resource abundance, and dispersal affects how much the resource abundance varies within each biome.

All I know for sure is that there used to be a bug in the Karbonite config where its dispersal value was set to 0; this caused there to be no variance within each biome.

Ok bud, this will be the last question, you have been more than helpful. I'm going to just set the survey scanner back to your original scan value, then I'm going to adjust the orbital to include all the specific scans. Don't really want the scanning to become to easy. I was really just trying to figure out how the damn thing worked.

The GLOBAL_RESOURCE values don't seem to be exactly what I perceived to start. If I set a Global like this,

GLOBAL_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Plutonium

ResourceType = 0

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 10

MinAbundance = 0.025

MaxAbundance = 0.25

Variance = 50

Dispersal = 50

}

}

Then I set a PLANETARY_RESOURCE like this,

PLANETARY_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Plutonium

ResourceType = 0

PlanetName = Kerbin

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 100.0

MinAbundance = .001

MaxAbundance = 10

Variance = 75.0

Dispersal = 2.0

}

}

Then in all planets but for Kerbin, I should have virtually no Plutonium. Doesn't seem to be working that way. Almost seems as if the Global is over riding the specific planetary values. I don't know how to write the cfg to allow for very low if non existent resource on all planets but the few I have made planetary_resources specific values.

Any way that's where I'm at. Got everything else hammered out now with your help, but it sure would be great to be able to place the resources I want on specific planets, and have almost zero on the rest. Point being the nuclear material should be very difficult to reach, at least that's what I am going for. Thx D for all your help man, almost there.

Edited by ArkaelDren

Ok bud, this will be the last question, you have been more than helpful. I'm going to just set the survey scanner back to your original scan value, then I'm going to adjust the orbital to include all the specific scans. Don't really want the scanning to become to easy. I was really just trying to figure out how the damn thing worked.

I'm not too sure about stock resource config settings. You might want to ask RoverDude about those.

I think there might a problem with such high dispersal values, otherwise it seems like it should provide only very little Plutonium outside of Kerbin.

Update preview time.

There isn't much being added for the next update, but there are a few long neglected things that are being added.

RPM panels are getting some much needed love. The 4 buttons along the left side of the standard MFD's can new be used for resource overlays and anomaly/waypoint markers.

I've also decreased the resolution of the RPM maps, the texture dimensions have been reduced by half, this allows the maps to generate much faster. There is a noticeable difference in quality, but really only when you zoom in fairly close. You can control the map size (and the resource overlay quality) in the RPM configs for each panel. For now these values will have to be in Module Manager patches for the standard and ALCOR MFDs. I've also made it so the non-full screen maps, like the left-hand display in the ALCOR pod don't spend so much time rendering the part of the map that is covered up by a black overlay.

nXzPtRE.png

hgFnw2y.png

Also this:

qFtOvxc.png

Biome maps work fairly well here, and the display readout gives the current biome for each vessel on the map.

There are several other minor changes: slope readouts on the big/zoom map, some changes to the color management window, and some other small things. Most of the changes are behind the scenes and result in lower RAM usage and less disruptive planetary overlay generation.

Edited by DMagic

So I've got a weird issue I just can't seem to get figured out. I'm working on building templates for Pathfinder using existing CRP/MKS defined resources. My scanners are all working. My surface scanners work. I can find and examine all the resource deposits without any issue. The weird thing: Ore, Minerals and Water will all show up with precision numbers e.g. 1.23% or 5.94% but MetallicOre, Uranite and Substrate I cannot get to show any sort of decimal places. They all round to whole numbers e.g. 4%, 5% including the variations within biomes. I've tried altering configs, scanner types etc but nothing I do gets any sort of decimal precision for those three resources.

Any clues as to what can lead to this would be most appreciated. I'll happily post cfgs if needs be but I can tell you there's no difference between the assignments for Minerals/Water than for MetallicOre/Uranite/Substrate which is why I'm so confused over this issue. Thanks in advance for any help and also for the great mod. I cannot play without this installed...ever...at all. :D

So I've got a weird issue I just can't seem to get figured out. I'm working on building templates for Pathfinder using existing CRP/MKS defined resources. My scanners are all working. My surface scanners work. I can find and examine all the resource deposits without any issue. The weird thing: Ore, Minerals and Water will all show up with precision numbers e.g. 1.23% or 5.94% but MetallicOre, Uranite and Substrate I cannot get to show any sort of decimal places. They all round to whole numbers e.g. 4%, 5% including the variations within biomes. I've tried altering configs, scanner types etc but nothing I do gets any sort of decimal precision for those three resources.

What are you using to scan with? SCANsat attaches the required modules to the MKS antenna, but otherwise most resources are only covered by the M700, which gives results only to the nearest whole number.

What are you using to scan with? SCANsat attaches the required modules to the MKS antenna, but otherwise most resources are only covered by the M700, which gives results only to the nearest whole number.

Yeah I've got the assignments attached to the M700 so that explains that. Is there any way past the nearest whole number set up or a way I can define an entirely different scanner? I'm not setting this up with MKS installed, just using the CRP defined resources. Also, why would I be getting whole numbers for only 3 of the 5 resources rather than all 5? The same definitions are applied to the M700 for all 5.

Yeah I've got the assignments attached to the M700 so that explains that. Is there any way past the nearest whole number set up or a way I can define an entirely different scanner? I'm not setting this up with MKS installed, just using the CRP defined resources. Also, why would I be getting whole numbers for only 3 of the 5 resources rather than all 5? The same definitions are applied to the M700 for all 5.

You check the discussion in the last few pages if you just want the M700 to handle everything. Or you can attach high-resolution MKS resource scanners to something else using the Module Manager config included with SCANsat as a template.

As for the other resources being scanned it's hard to say without knowing what other parts you have and what scanners they might add. DMagic Orbital Science adds several SCANsat resource scanners, which could be responsible for those readings.

You check the discussion in the last few pages if you just want the M700 to handle everything. Or you can attach high-resolution MKS resource scanners to something else using the Module Manager config included with SCANsat as a template.

As for the other resources being scanned it's hard to say without knowing what other parts you have and what scanners they might add. DMagic Orbital Science adds several SCANsat resource scanners, which could be responsible for those readings.

That would be it. I've got Orbital Science installed which explains the Minerals/Water having precision while the others do not. I will just split everything away from the M700 and create my own hi-def scanner to avoid any confusion with that configuration. At least you cleared up my confusion and I'll just go back to the drawing board to solve the rest of my issues. Thanks man!

Version 14.2 is out; get it on Kerbal Stuff.

This update includes some RAM and performance improvements, additional RPM functionality (* see below), numerous minor changes to the information readouts for the maps and the instruments window, part tweaks, a modified version of severedSolo's SCANsatLite contract pack (they should work fine at the same time, but will be a little redundant), and various bug fixes and other changes.

The full changelog has all the details.

Version 14.2 - 2015-8-29
------------------------

- Performance and RAM usage improvements
- Storage modules for each planet use less RAM
- Planetary overlays use less RAM
- Biome overlay texture size can be changed independently of resource size
- Planetary overlays generated on a different thread when possible
- This reduces or prevents the slight freeze or hiccup when generating a new overlay

- Raster Prop Monitor
- Additional functions added to RPM panels
- The standard MFDs use the four buttons on the left for resource and anomaly/waypoint overlays
- ALCOR pods also have additional functions where possible
- Increased map rendering performance by reducing map texture size
- Map texture size and resource overlay quality can be adjusted in the RPM configs
- Prevent the non full-screen panels from drawing maps underneath opaque sections of the display (ie the left hand ALCOR panel)
- A Module Manager patch is required for full ALCOR MFD functionality

- Parts
- Slight reduction in size of SAR and MultiSpectral scanners
- Proper use of MODEL node scaling; fixes KIS inventory size problems (thanks Kerbas_ad_astra)
- Slightly increased scanning width and altitude parameters for M700 (clamshell) resource scanner

- Contract Configurator Contracts included
- Based on a slightly modified version of severedsolo's SCANsatLite pack

- SCAN agency and manufacturers group added

- Big map and KSC map
- Resource overlays now use the same quality settings as the planetary overlays
- Resource mouse-over info now follows the same narrow-band scanner restrictions as planetary overlay tooltips
- Slope added to mouse-over info for terrain scanned with high-resolution terrain scanner

- Small map
- Biome maps available on the small map
- The vessel info readout will display the current biome (if scanned) for each vessel
- The altitude readout for each vessel is now dependent on scanning coverage

- Instruments UI
- New rules for the altitude and slope readout
- Below 1000m full height-above-terrain and slope info is given regardless of scanning coverage
- Above 1000m altitude the readout is based on low or high resolution terrain scanning; slope is only given for high resolution scans

- Color Management Window
- Planet selection boxes available for terrain and resource color configs
- Fix possible bugs created by adding and deleting mod planets

- Misc and bug fixes
- Resource overlay colors properly use the assigned abundance ranges
- Added a resource overlay control window toolbar button
- Update the active vessel in the instruments window
- Various minor performance improvements
- Various minor UI tweaks

I haven't updated the docs yet, but nothing substantial has changed as far as usage goes. There shouldn't be any problems updating from a previous version (keep your SCANsat/Resources/SCANcolors.cfg if you have any custom color settings that you want to preserve).

* For full RPM functionality in pods using the ASET props use this Module Manager config.

@PROP[ALCORMFD60x30]:FOR[SCANsat]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor,ASET]
{
@MODULE[RasterPropMonitor]
{
@PAGE[pALCOROrbitMap60x30]
{
@BACKGROUNDHANDLER[JSISCANsatRPM]
{
@buttonHome = 6
buttonRight = 5
buttonLeft = 1
buttonR9 = 8
buttonR10 = 7
startLine = 120
stopLine = 390
mapDivider = 2
resourceInterpolation = 4
}
}

@PAGE[pALCORClearMap60x30]
{
{
@buttonHome = 6
buttonRight = 5
buttonLeft = 1
buttonR9 = 8
buttonR10 = 7
mapDivider = 2
}
}
}
}

@PROP[kOSTerminal]:FOR[SCANsat]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor,ASET]
{
{
@PAGE[pALCORMapOrbit50x18]
{
{
buttonHome = 4
buttonRight = 6
buttonR9 = 5
mapDivider = 2
}
}

@PAGE[pALCORMapLanding50x18]
{
{
buttonHome = 4
buttonRight = 6
buttonR9 = 5
mapDivider = 2
}
}
}
}

@PROP[ALCORMFD40x20]:FOR[SCANsat]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor,ASET]
{
{
@PAGE[pALCORMapOrbit40x20]
{
{
buttonHome = 4
buttonRight = 5
buttonLeft = 6
buttonR9 = 7
buttonR10 = 8
mapDivider = 2
}
}

@PAGE[pALCORMapLanding40x20]
{
{
buttonHome = 4
buttonRight = 5
buttonLeft = 6
buttonR9 = 7
buttonR10 = 8
mapDivider = 2
}
}
}
}

Let me know if anything breaks, explodes, consumes Jeb, etc...