[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

On 8/15/2018 at 3:02 PM, DMagic said:

As far as I know that's how stock scanning data is saved. All SCANsat does is call the method: ResourceMap.Instance.UnlockPlanet(body.flightGlobalsIndex);

The log file will only reflect this when the scan is actually done, this only occurs on scene load and when you change the scanning threshold.

As the name for the setting implies, it disables basically everything to do with stock scanning from the parts themselves.

After using the SCANsat settings window to clear the stock data, I didn't see that log message from changing the threshold or changing scenes, and didn't see the stock version of the flag set in my save. Checking the small map as you suggested shows 100% coverage.

It wasn't much trouble to hand-edit the save to set the stock "PLANET_SCAN_DATA" flag. I'll let you know if I do further testing.

On 8/15/2018 at 6:25 AM, DMagic said:

@Victor3 Scan data is stored in the save file. It's located in the top section (before the vessel list):

SCENARIO
	{
		name = SCANcontroller
		scene = 7, 5, 8
	}

So, when I do a clean, new install of KSP...and copy over my "Saves" folder from previous KSP version, my previous scans data should still be available (if I read this correctly).

If this is true...I've broken something as my 1.4.3 does not have any of my scans performed in earlier versions.

Looks like I'll have to do the earlier, suggested procedure to see why.

That would be correct if you have no scanning data from Duna. The biome colors from the key at the bottom will only show up if you have biome data from running the multispectral scanner. Other colors might come from the resource overlay or SAR scan data.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:28 PM, Baladain said:

I've enabled the mechjeb integration in options, but I don't see a way to select a landing spot from the big map.  Can someone share a screenshot?

The screenshot in the post below yours shows the waypoint UI. You just click the little waypoint button in the lower-right corner of the map, then click on the map to select the location. With MJ support on there should be an additional button on the UI just to the right of the "Set" and "Cancel" buttons, called "MJ", I think. After selecting the location, click on the MJ button instead of Set and it will set the MechJeb landing location.

@TheAngryHulk You have to scan the planet with something first, the Multispectral scanner for biomes.

13 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

It only does biome. RADAR altimitery does altimitery. Hence the name.

Thanks!

I'm gonna be honest I thought I was gonna get reamed for asking for help without providing any of the usual stuff, so I banked on the hopes that it was just user error, and it looks like it was.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Don't worry, Module Manager will recreate these files automatically on the next start of KSP :)

These files, especially the ConfigCache, contains all the MM patches so MM does not have to collect all the informations across your GameData directory at each launch. It is possible, that something went wrong during the creation of the Cache and by deleting it, you force MM to create a new one which is hopefully working correctly.

I deleted these files, as suggested and now, when starting KSP I get the following error and I have to close:

KSP_error.jpg

I have a folder in my GameData folder called "B9PartSwitch", but it doesn't match any known mod name that I have installed?

2 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

I deleted these files, as suggested and now, when starting KSP I get the following error and I have to close:

KSP_error.jpg

I have a folder in my GameData folder called "B9PartSwitch", but it doesn't match any known mod name that I have installed?

Did you delete the ModuleManager .dll as well or is it placed in wrong directory? The files I've suggested to delete (.ConfigCache, .ConfigSHA, .Physics and .TechTree) are created by ModuelManager and don't even exists if you just install ModuleManager....they'll be created by launching the game.

If you have deleted the .dll file as well, download it again (link above), put the .dll file in your GameData directory and you should be fine again.

B9PartSwitch is one of those 'dependency mods' which doesn't do anything at all until another mod uses it. There are a few mods out there, which require B9PartSwitch to run and they are even bundeled with this mod, so probably you install one of them together with the mod you actually wanted. That would explain why you don't recognize the name ;)

3 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Did you delete the ModuleManager .dll as well or is it placed in wrong directory? The files I've suggested to delete (.ConfigCache, .ConfigSHA, .Physics and .TechTree) are created by ModuelManager and don't even exists if you just install ModuleManager....they'll be created by launching the game.

If you have deleted the .dll file as well, download it again (link above), put the .dll file in your GameData directory and you should be fine again.

B9PartSwitch is one of those 'dependency mods' which doesn't do anything at all until another mod uses it. There are a few mods out there, which require B9PartSwitch to run and they are even bundeled with this mod, so probably you install one of them together with the mod you actually wanted. That would explain why you don't recognize the name ;)

Yes, I did delete the MM.dll as well...I misunderstood the list of stuff to delete. I reinstalled the .DLL and start-up is working again.

Let me go back to the beginning and start your suggested troubleshooting again...1st by making sure I have the correct version of ScanSAT installed.

2 quick questions...

why do you suggest I try a scan in sandbox mode during this troubleshooting? If it's to save funds, I currently have a scanner in orbit around Kerbin in my career mode game. Could I not use it for the troubleshooting?

And just to be sure I'm not a complete fool, I am assuming that a completed scan still needs to be transmitted back to the tracking station for it to be available for that celestial body in the future, if my scanning craft goes elsewhere or is destroyed.

1 minute ago, Victor3 said:

why do you suggest I try a scan in sandbox mode during this troubleshooting? If it's to save funds, I currently have a scanner in orbit around Kerbin in my career mode game. Could I not use it for the troubleshooting?

Of course, you can use a probe which is already in orbit. I usually suggest to use a separate sandbox save in the same moment I suggest to use the debug menu, just for safety reasons. And the debug menu is pretty nice for testing stuff in space becasue you can cheat any craft in any orbit you want but if you forget about any cheats like 'infinite fuel' or even worse 'hack gravity' (not necessacy in this case), they will not turn off by reloading a quicksave and potentially 'break' your game. Not in way that it's not running anymore but in a way 'that's not how I wanted to play'.
Also, there is always a chance that another mod will modify the techtree or anything in the career progress that will prevent other mods to work as inteded but thoses restrictions don't account for a sondbox game ;)

10 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

And just to be sure I'm not a complete fool, I am assuming that a completed scan still needs to be transmitted back to the tracking station for it to be available for that celestial body in the future, if my scanning craft goes elsewhere or is destroyed.

Nope, transmitting a scan will privde some science points, that's all. The scan will always be available, no matter if transmit a (partial-) finished scan or the probe get destroyed.

Since you still ask questions about this topic, I assume you're still not able to see any maps in SCANSat?

7 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Of course, you can use a probe which is already in orbit. I usually suggest to use a separate sandbox save in the same moment I suggest to use the debug menu, just for safety reasons. And the debug menu is pretty nice for testing stuff in space becasue you can cheat any craft in any orbit you want but if you forget about any cheats like 'infinite fuel' or even worse 'hack gravity' (not necessacy in this case), they will not turn off by reloading a quicksave and potentially 'break' your game. Not in way that it's not running anymore but in a way 'that's not how I wanted to play'.
Also, there is always a chance that another mod will modify the techtree or anything in the career progress that will prevent other mods to work as inteded but thoses restrictions don't account for a sondbox game ;)

Nope, transmitting a scan will privde some science points, that's all. The scan will always be available, no matter if transmit a (partial-) finished scan or the probe get destroyed.

Since you still ask questions about this topic, I assume you're still not able to see any maps in SCANSat?

I haven't completed your troubleshooting suggestions yet...RL stuff the last month. I now have a few days to try it and I will get back to you.

A huge "thank you", 4X4!

9 hours ago, Victor3 said:

I haven't completed your troubleshooting suggestions yet...RL stuff the last month. I now have a few days to try it and I will get back to you.

A huge "thank you", 4X4!

Making a biome scan of Kerbin now. Is there a way to make the "big map" auto-refresh?

I'd like to change the "unscanned" areas in the Big Map during a Multi biome scan to black. The current medium grey sometimes blends in to surrounding scanned areas. Is that possible?

4X4, I'm having to do the test scan in 1X speed...I have a launch window coming up and need to get stuff together for an Eve fly-by. I will get back with you after the scan is complete and I terminate the craft. Fingers crossed the data will still be available.

Edited by strider3

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Victor3 said:

I'd like to change the "unscanned" areas in the Big Map during a Multi biome scan to black. The current medium grey sometimes blends in to surrounding scanned areas. Is that possible?

4X4, I'm having to do the test scan in 1X speed...I have a launch window coming up and need to get stuff together for an Eve fly-by. I will get back with you after the scan is complete and I terminate the craft. Fingers crossed the data will still be available.

Success! Completed the test  biome scan of Kerbin, terminated the scanner ship...and the scan data is still available. SHWEET! Not sure why I lost my previous scan data but it's working now.

Thanks gang!!

Hey, quick question. Where is stored the scan progress for each type of scan for each body? I have to do a reinstall of CKAN because of some problems and perhaps reinstall the whole KSP, but I'm not finding the file that has the progress done. Not contracts, just scan progress, map, etc

8 minutes ago, EstebanLB said:

Hey, quick question. Where is stored the scan progress for each type of scan for each body? I have to do a reinstall of CKAN because of some problems and perhaps reinstall the whole KSP, but I'm not finding the file that has the progress done. Not contracts, just scan progress, map, etc

Quick answer: In your save file

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:25 AM, DMagic said:

@Victor3 Scan data is stored in the save file. It's located in the top section (before the vessel list):

SCENARIO
	{
		name = SCANcontroller
		scene = 7, 5, 8
	}

The data for each body is stored in Progress nodes:

Progress
		{
			Body
			{
				Name = Kerbin
				Disabled = False
				MinHeightRange = -1500
				MaxHeightRange = 6500
				ClampHeight = 0
				PaletteName = Default
				PaletteSize = 7
				PaletteReverse = False
				PaletteDiscrete = False
				Map = CAABAAAA---...
			}
		}

The actual data is a compressed string, so you won't really be able to make any sense of it. If a planet has no data at all then there simply won't be an entry for it. If the data has been wiped somehow then there could be an entry, but the data in the "Map" line should be something uniform, like a long list of AAAAAA.

Heya, DMagic. So, I found the relevant section of the "Persistent.sfs" in my saves folder. I show all my previous missing scans listed (Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike) plus my just completed test scan of Kerbin. I have no idea why the "Sun" is listed, never scanned it. Only my test scan of Kerbin shows up in game. When I look at this text, however, it seems like Minmus should also be available still? (it's the only other one not showing "AOD" over and over). Not sure if the "AOD" means those got lost?

Anywho, if you get time please take a look at the relevant text in the file below. Thanks!!

http://users.frii.com/viciii3/SCAN-save.txt

So why can I only see the full 5 buttons in ship view now. In the space center or tracking station, I can't get the "little" map, that shows the spaceships orbit lines, and has much faster real time updating. I can only see the big map.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a biome scan both with kerbnet and with scansat and neither was helpful. The map legend gave a color key to each biome, but there is nothing on the map that was generated nor on the map in the game. I took a pic of the scansat map. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. I did the below scan with the sidebar icons. Do I need a specific scanner on my ship?

LN5pvNl.png