[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, DMagic said:

@Victor3 The biome colors are limited to either using the stock biome map colors (most or all of the biome maps shown on the wiki show the stock color palettes using SCANsat), or using a simple color gradient. There is nothing you can do with SCANsat to change the stock colors.

The color gradient maps can be changed, but those tend to be less useful as you end with multiple shades of similar colors. You can also change the transparency of the biome maps, to show more or less of the terrain details. All of this can be done in the Color section of the Settings window.

As far as I know this should be working fine in 1.5. I'll wait a little longer to see if there are any more KSP releases. 

Thanks D. That is a shame, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a clean 1.5.1 install with recent CRP mod and ScanSat.

Using the ScanSat resources scanning (no stock instant scans). Performed resources scan with stock M700 Survey Scanner. It shows that Kerbin oceans have more abundance for Ore than any crust part.

Checked resources configs for Ore - its' ResourceType = 0 (Crustal).

So, why it presents in oceans and in such high abundance?

Same story for some other resources. It looks like resources abundance mapping is somewhat inverted.

Edited by Horus

Is anyone seeing a lack of electric consumption from SCANsat parts? Put a satellite in orbit with 2 low res scanners and it's not showing any electric use, and I'm pretty sure the limited solar panels I have on the probe shouldn't be providing enough electric to keep it powered. This is the first time in this game I've run into any type of power usage 'bugs' anyone know what might be causing it? I don't know where to find output logs now, I can provide if someone can tell me where they've been moved too? Output log Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygydr1jt0xquh5z/output_log.txt?dl=0

F85f9kD.jpg

Edited by vardicd

44 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I don't know where to find output logs now, I can provide if someone can tell me where they've been moved too?

It depends on the KSP version and your OS but after v1.4 they moved to

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit) or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt
  • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Oh, and at least for my KSP v1.4.5 and matching SCANSat, no, I have not seen a lack of Ec consumption.  Mod conflict??

Edited by Brigadier

6 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Oh, and at least for my KSP v1.4.5 and matching SCANSat, no, I have not seen a lack of Ec consumption.  Mod conflict??

Thanks for the help with finding the output log. Silly place to put it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it is from a mod conflict. I spent 9 hours going through all my mods a few days ago trying to nail down 2 bugs, one was causing duplicate options menus in the new game selection, and duplicating my flag selections. Narrowed that down to Nertea's stockalike station expansion, and reported it. Nertea had accidentally left an extra file or something in the release version, and then I had accidentally installed RoverDude's Konstruction mod which hadn't updated to 1.5.1 and was crashing my game on load. I figured I'd ask here before I spent another multiple hours trying to track down a mod conflict, and see if anyone else had seen issues like this first.

8 hours ago, vardicd said:

Is anyone seeing a lack of electric consumption from SCANsat parts?

It's working fine for me. I don't know what kind of conflict would prevent EC usage, maybe search for MM patches targeting SCANsat parts in your log file.

14 hours ago, DMagic said:

It's working fine for me. I don't know what kind of conflict would prevent EC usage, maybe search for MM patches targeting SCANsat parts in your log file.

After many additional tests, the SCANsat units are in fact draining power as intended, the basic solar panels on my sat are just capable of powering it a lot better than I realized. 2 exposed to sunlight are enough to keep it fully powered with both units running, and my probe core and antenna connection. I retract my inquiry.

@DMagic How do you precisely place the "teardrop" marker for precision landings? the old X shaped market was easier to understand because the center of the X was the target point. With the teardrop the actual point targeted seems to vary depending on which view i'm using.

Here's the ScanSat view. I put the mouse pointer exactly on the equator and clicked. The marker is circled in red. I'm trying to land in that little dark lowlands area, so I don't have a lot of margin for error:

fuRtBBm.jpg

Here's the same marker viewed from Map mode. I was trying to use the marker as a target, but now a big portion of the teardrop is below the equator.  I could easily miss that small Lowlands area because of that difference.

cI9zpNW.jpg

14 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Tyko If you need precision placement use the zoom map and zoom in very far before placing the waypoint.

I tried that. It's not the initial placement that's the problem, it's when you are in the KSP map mode and you're trying to match your trajectory line with the correct point designated. there's no clear visual cue on the giant teardrop as to exactly where I placed it in the first place.

@Tyko Do you know the actual coordinates of the waypoint? The resolution of the map is low enough that the position of the waypoint being off by a pixel or two could be a significant amount. I believe the tip of the waypoint icon is supposed to be at the actual location, but that could be off by a little.

Thanks for the replies :)

It's not a pixel or two...refer back to the pix I posted above. In the first pic I placed a waypoint as "exactly" on the equator as I could. I carefully positioned the mouse right on the equator and clicked.

When I go out to KSP map mode the equator , as shown by the orbit line, is a good 20% of the way up the waypoint icon.  If it were off by a pixel or two then the line would still be passing very close to the tip of the waypoint icon, not quite a ways up the icon.

@Tyko I checked on this. A waypoint placed more or less exactly on the equator, 0.003039o N, will show up on the SCANsat map with its point at, or almost at the equator, both the waypoint icon and the grid overlay could be off by a pixel or two.

And in map view, when trying to line up with the Mun's orbit line, the waypoint looks like it is below the equator. So it looks like the stock mapview icon placement is off, or at least misleading.

3 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Tyko I checked on this. A waypoint placed more or less exactly on the equator, 0.003039o N, will show up on the SCANsat map with its point at, or almost at the equator, both the waypoint icon and the grid overlay could be off by a pixel or two.

And in map view, when trying to line up with the Mun's orbit line, the waypoint looks like it is below the equator. So it looks like the stock mapview icon placement is off, or at least misleading.

Thanks..I didn't have time last night to play with it more. 

Any chance of adding the cross back in as an option? That used to be very accurate in all the views.

I just added a cfgfile to my setup to have the Nitrogen availability on the map (I have Kerbalism installed which doesn't provide compat with ScanSat). Creating a SCANSAT_SENSOR entry was enough to get it.

But I'm curious about what will happen if I use the same SCANtype value somewhere else ? Like another mod which I may download later.

Also, does it mean that we could only have a limited amount of tracked resources (64, minus some reserved values) ?

@DMagic Looking back over the last few posts here, it seems people are having some inaccuracies with waypoints and such, and I've got something interesting for you, it seems that in at least some cases, SCANsat may be seeing planet bodies reversed? It thinks their north pole is their south pole, but without actually flipping the map. I was just playing and put a waypoint at the north pole for a mission I'm flying and SCANsat is showing that marker at the south pole of Kerbin:

koknNsB.jpg

I'm wondering if perhaps this could be contributing to the problems people are having, if SCANsat is reading the planet one way [reversed], internally, but displaying it incorrectly in the display? I fully admit, I have no idea how this works, and am just making a guess from what I'm seeing. I leave it to you to know/figure out if this is relevant.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygydr1jt0xquh5z/output_log.txt?dl=0 Output log, in case it will help you.

Hello, guys!
Please, is there any kind of celestial bodies´ tier limitation? 
I mean, maybe the SCAN do not entirely recognize a moon of a moon (which could be called a 4th tier)?

I´ve been playing with TWB (The World Beyond), and, on these cases related above, the map overlay DOES work all right (in the Map View ´M´), and both Altimetry and Medium scan perform science with no problems. But the moon does NOT appear on the SCAN map list (the big map, which show us the trajectory over the biomes, slopes, etc.).

Could you guys please take a look? I´ve already told TWB´s developers, so maybe the issue is on that mod, but would be nice to get an answer grom here as well, just to avoid that none of you or them need to search for an error that does not exists on the mod.

Thanks!

@Gurki Whatever changes the scan type value last (or maybe first) will be the one that is counted. There are only 32 allowed scan types, changing it to 64 would double the size of the data stored in the save file, and require some nasty workarounds to preserve data from older versions for people upgrading.

@vardicd I think the problem Tyko was referring to is mostly due to how stock KSP displays the waypoints in the map view. The thing with flipped waypoints at the poles is definitely possible. I have run into problems with waypoints being stored in the save file with dumb coordinates, like 95o North, or -102o South. There may be some lingering problems related to that, or maybe something new.

@Cataclism Yes, I believe the map list is limited to the 3rd "tier" of moons, a moon of a moon of a moon. The simple solution would be to tell planet pack makers not to do dumb things like making 4th level moons. But I could also add in another level whenever I get around to updating. Several other mods that I make have this same limitation.