[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

3 minutes ago, dprostock said:

I didn't understand it that way, and I shared the situation that came to me. Is it so terrible? 

Nah it's not. Forgive my personal annoyance, tired and seen too many people comment stuff much more deserving of rude replies than you.

18 hours ago, DMagic said:

On that note, do a lot of people who use SCANsat for resource scanning, and who use resource mods, only use the stock Narrow Band Scanner for all high resolution resource scans? Or do people use different scanners for different resources (ie one scanner for water, another for dirt, another for metal ore, etc...)?

The MM patches that are included with SCANsat only add resource scanning functions to the stock parts, but other mods might be different (I know that DMagic Orbital Science includes some of these individual scanners, but the others that I know of just use the stock scanner).

It would be much simpler, and have some performance improvements and reduce the amount of storage space used by SCANsat maps in the save file, if I could collapse all high resolution resources into a single scan type. Also, the number of scan types is limited and there are now tons of resources used by other mods. 

Personaly, I use DM Orbital Science and stock parts. Using whatever become available trough tech tree. First low res scaners then the rest. But thing is that stock Narrow Band Scanner usualy comes at the same as other high resolution scaners. So, I would not mind if it is only one scaner used for all of resource types if it improve performance and make maintenance of mod much easier. Whole game with new DLCs and new mods becomeing more and more complex, so few extra CPU/FPS time can be spend elsewhere. Just personal opinion on topic, other people might think different.

19 hours ago, DMagic said:

On that note, do a lot of people who use SCANsat for resource scanning, and who use resource mods, only use the stock Narrow Band Scanner for all high resolution resource scans? Or do people use different scanners for different resources (ie one scanner for water, another for dirt, another for metal ore, etc...)?

The MM patches that are included with SCANsat only add resource scanning functions to the stock parts, but other mods might be different (I know that DMagic Orbital Science includes some of these individual scanners, but the others that I know of just use the stock scanner).

It would be much simpler, and have some performance improvements and reduce the amount of storage space used by SCANsat maps in the save file, if I could collapse all high resolution resources into a single scan type. Also, the number of scan types is limited and there are now tons of resources used by other mods. 

I typically use a part from Probes Plus - but it's exactly like a Narrow Band Scanner except for the model.  Occasionally I'll use a Magnometer to scan for ore - but that's just because I'm typically carrying it anyway for the experiment, and if all I care about is ore it'll do the job.

I do run into the issue where SCANsat can't handle all the resources my game's trying to track, so anything that could help that issue would be welcomed.  Arguably the Narrow Band Scanner is to powerful in that it can scan for everything - but with the alternative being either sending up huge scanner sats with lots of nearly-identical scanner parts (or lots of nearly identical small sats) and continuing limitations on the number of distinct resources that can be shown, I'm ok with the over-poweredness.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Occasionally I'll use a Magnometer to scan for ore - but that's just because I'm typically carrying it anyway for the experiment, and if all I care about is ore it'll do the job.

Me too. Forgot to mention that in earlier post. Magnetometer comes earlier in tech tree, it is not too expencive and after finishing high/low orbit experiments, I put such probe to scan celestial bodies without atmosphere just becaose I have nothing else to do with it.

1.8. looks like a bug. cant switch to kerbin big map (small i see). button not active .and something happened to RPM .monitor just show whitescreen not scansat mini map

331e9e0d7254.jpg

i return to 1.7.3. (because 1.8 version unplayble) and here is ok

maybe not a scan sat problem.. maybe RPM... maybe depended mods....

@linuxgurugamer  (think problem linked to depended mod Toolbar Continued maybe Click Through Blocker in 1.8 i use last version)

f61d30225986.jpg

Edited by *MajorTom*

50 minutes ago, dprostock said:

Yep... blind...

The problem is squads not responsible for 3rd party mods. They may (and have) more or less take over some functionality from various mods, but third party mods are exactly that. Third party. That’s someone who is not squad trying to get the program to do things it was not expected to do. 

They really cant just sit there try and work on changes and updates, and then sit back and wait for 3rd party mod developers( some of whom may actually no longer be supporting there own mods) to get off there ass and update there mods. Rover dude for one has been quite clear about the fact that it may be next week before he’s even back home.

now if my being aware of how reality works makes me “blind”, well that’s just to bad . . . for you. &) After all while I’m blind, that means more science for you!

um don’t ask me to explain that...it’s an old joke from when they did the big sci nerf.... someone complained they could not launch a solar observer and just lap up the science because it’s now once and your blind so I said well you being blind to science just means more science for me!

Edited by [email protected]

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

The problem is squads not responsible for 3rd party mods. They may (and have) more or less take over some functionality from various mods, but third party mods are exactly that. Third party. That’s someone who is not squad trying to get the program to do things it was not expected to do. 

They really cant just sit there try and work on changes and updates, and then sit back and wait for 3rd party mod developers( some of whom may actually no longer be supporting there own mods) to get off there ass and update there mods. Rover dude for one has been quite clear about the fact that it may be next week before he’s even back home.

now if my being aware of how reality works makes me “blind”, well that’s just to bad . . . for you. &) After all while I’m blind, that means more science for you!

um don’t ask me to explain that...it’s an old joke from when they did the big sci nerf.... someone complained they could not launch a solar observer and just lap up the science because it’s now once and your blind so I said well you being blind to science just means more science for me!

Yep.............I know and I understand it, work far away and long ago developing soft... But...blind... Unfortunately...

Version 18.14 is out; get it on Space Dock.

As mentioned above, this is a minor update to support KSP 1.8. It fixes the issue with the map control buttons, and fixes the shaders for the ground track display and the BTDT anomaly viewer display. 

It hasn't been extensively tested, but everything seems to be working okay in KSP 1.8. KSPedia has not been fixed for this release. It also has not been tested with RPM, so that probably doesn't work, either.

A bigger update is in the works and will start to come out soon (after all of my other mods are updated ;.; - finished recompiling all of them, now just need to test them...), probably after we get the inevitable KSP 1.8.1. It will have some preview releases to make sure save data is all transferring correctly and maybe to work out some balance issues.

Edited by DMagic

8 hours ago, DMagic said:

Version 18.14 is out; get it on Space Dock.

As mentioned above, this is a minor update to support KSP 1.8. It fixes the issue with the map control buttons, and fixes the shaders for the ground track display and the BTDT anomaly viewer display. 

It hasn't been extensively tested, but everything seems to be working okay in KSP 1.8. KSPedia has not been fixed for this release. It also has not been tested with RPM, so that probably doesn't work, either.

A bigger update is in the works and will start to come out soon (after all of my other mods are updated ;.; - finished recompiling all of them, now just need to test them...), probably after we get the inevitable KSP 1.8.1. It will have some preview releases to make sure save data is all transferring correctly and maybe to work out some balance issues.

Thank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScanSAT 18.14 creates an exception in ContractConfigurator 1.28.0 like this:

[INFO] ContractConfigurator.ContractType: Loading CONTRACT_TYPE: 'SCAN_Exceptional'

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

ContractConfigurator.PartUnlockedRequirement: CONTRACT_TYPE 'SCAN_Exceptional', REQUIREMENT 'PartUnlocked_2' of type 'PartUnlocked': Error parsing part

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

Uploading Crash Report
ArgumentException: 'OrbitalScanner' is not a valid Part.
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.PartParser.ParseIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.BaseParser+Token token) [0x000a7] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseVarOrIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.BaseParser+Token token) [0x000e2] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseSimpleStatement[TResult] () [0x003a6] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatementInner[TResult] () [0x00060] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatement[TResult] () [0x0010e] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00045] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
Rethrow as Exception: Error parsing statement.
Error occurred near '*':
OrbitalScanner
..............* <-- HERE
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x000aa] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[T] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, System.Boolean allowExpression) [0x000a3] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00032] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00048] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[T] (ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Boolean allowExpression) [0x00240] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[T] (ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Action`1[T] setter, ContractConfigurator.IContractConfiguratorFactory obj, T defaultValue, System.Func`2[T,TResult] validation) [0x00099] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.LoggingUtil:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, List`1, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory)
ContractConfigurator.PartUnlockedRequirement:LoadFromConfig(ConfigNode)
ContractConfigurator.ContractRequirement:GenerateRequirement(ConfigNode, ContractType, ContractRequirement&, IContractConfiguratorFactory)
ContractConfigurator.ContractType:Load(ConfigNode)
ContractConfigurator.<LoadContractTypeConfig>d__30:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<FinalizeContractTypeLoad>d__29:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename: <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7> Line: 0)

ContractConfigurator.ContractType: CONTRACT_TYPE 'SCAN_Exceptional': Not expanding DATA_EXPAND node as the contract had validation errors.

ContractConfigurator.ContractType: CONTRACT_TYPE 'SCAN_Exceptional': Error parsing targetBodyValid3

Uploading Crash Report
DataStoreCastException: Cannot cast from System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody] to CelestialBody.
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ConvertType[U] (T value) [0x00165] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ListExpressionParser`1[T].ConvertType[U] (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] value) [0x0009b] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatement[TResult] (T lval) [0x00300] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatementInner[TResult] () [0x00060] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00032] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00048] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatement[TResult] () [0x00099] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
Rethrow as DataStoreCastException: Cannot cast from System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody] to CelestialBody.
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatement[TResult] () [0x0010e] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00045] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
Rethrow as Exception: Error parsing statement.
Error occurred near '*':
@/targetBody3
.............* <-- HERE
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x000aa] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[T] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, System.Boolean allowExpression) [0x000a3] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[T] (ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Boolean allowExpression) [0x0032c] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[T] (ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Action`1[T] setter, ContractConfigurator.IContractConfiguratorFactory obj, T defaultValue, System.Func`2[T,TResult] validation) [0x00099] in <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.LoggingUtil:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, CelestialBody, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.DeferredLoadUtil:ExecuteLoad(DeferredLoadObject`1)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ExecuteDeferredLoads()
ContractConfigurator.ContractType:Load(ConfigNode)
ContractConfigurator.<LoadContractTypeConfig>d__30:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<FinalizeContractTypeLoad>d__29:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename: <84643f2491b348b1b80d1575e71e23d7> Line: 0)

ContractConfigurator.ContractType: CONTRACT_TYPE 'SCAN_Exceptional': unexpected child node 'DATA_EXPAND' found, ignored.

ContractConfigurator.ContractType: Errors encountered while trying to load CONTRACT_TYPE 'SCAN_Exceptional'

See full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8r7wbzjjvuu7y6n/player.log and stuff 2019-11-05-01.zip?dl=1

G'day,

Has anybody had success compiling this mod on Windows using Visual Studio?  I've had a play around and can't work out how to compile the "ScanAssets" project, all I get is "incompatible project" when I try to load the solution. Google has not helped apart from making me strongly suspect that it's a MonoDevelop project.
Unfortunately I can't find a binary release of MonoDevelop for Windows, and I'm not compiling that from scratch!

12 hours ago, micha said:

Has anybody had success compiling this mod on Windows using Visual Studio? 

I don't know but it's a bit curious as to why you're bothring since DMagic has already released a 1.8.0 version and is working on a significant update for 1.8.1+

5 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I don't know but it's a bit curious as to why you're bothring since DMagic has already released a 1.8.0 version and is working on a significant update for 1.8.1+

Because there are some minor issues which I know how to fix and I'd like to create pull requests for those.

17 hours ago, micha said:

G'day,

Has anybody had success compiling this mod on Windows using Visual Studio?  I've had a play around and can't work out how to compile the "ScanAssets" project, all I get is "incompatible project" when I try to load the solution. Google has not helped apart from making me strongly suspect that it's a MonoDevelop project.
Unfortunately I can't find a binary release of MonoDevelop for Windows, and I'm not compiling that from scratch!

Just ignore everything but the SCANsat and SCANsat.Unity projects (unless you are working with the MechJeb integration).

That mono project stuff and the SCANassets project are all left over from very long ago.