[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

@Aegrim The values in the right panel are correct, they originate from in-game values, those on the left are from something that has been added to the part description.

Somewhere in your GameData is a Module Manager patch that is greatly reducing the working altitude of these parts, you might want to find that and change it or delete it.

58 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Aegrim The values in the right panel are correct, they originate from in-game values, those on the left are from something that has been added to the part description.

Somewhere in your GameData is a Module Manager patch that is greatly reducing the working altitude of these parts, you might want to find that and change it or delete it.

Oh that's something going over my head. I can edit part configs but mucking about with module manager?

965g7s0.png?1

no idea :S

I posted a test version on GitHub for the 1.2 pre-release.

You can try it out to see if anything is broken. Other than the Narrow-Band scanner replacement window (which is only available when stock resource scanning is disabled) everything seems to be ok.

Post any feedback in the dev thread please.

Hiya!

Tried using my best Googlefu, but couldn't find an answer -

Is there a way to "cheat" with this mod and just "have" the planet biome/terrain info automatically available?

I sort of burnt out on the probe/scanning gameplay way back in the day, and I'm looking for a more 1.2 ish experience, but without the hassle of none of my mods working anymore.

On 9/30/2016 at 11:06 AM, Toonu said:

I have one question for developers. First of all, nice mod, I always had it in my modpacks...I like it and that's why I ask the question. Will this mod be updated normally or will be reworked to work as addon above stock KerbNet? Thanks, Toonu

I also love this mod. I hope they do update to 1.2. This is better than Kerbnet. I can see everything I  have scanned on a map. not just where my sat happens to be, as with kerbnet.

Hi, new ScanSat user, since the kerbalmaps site may be down for good. Started scanning Mun.  Wanted to make sure if I understand correctly. I disabled stock scanning in the options

The M700 now no longer gives an instant scan, you need to cover the planet with scanning polar orbits to get the low level representation of resources? And, this is no longer a prereq to finish this first before other scanning? If I was just interested in resources close to the equator, do I really need to do this step? If not, what step initializes the resource concentrations for a body?

The narrow band scanner still is a dynamic scanner, meaning that if you want to look at a hi res resource section on the surface, the scanner must be within range?  Does this mean there is not an option to scan the planet for resources in a high res fashion using the narrow band and have it store that information in the maps?

The surface scanning item is still used to calibrate the accuracy of the narrow band? And only needs to be used once per biome, anywhere in any biome location?

If I am not interested in anomalies but still want slope and biome at the moment, and I am finished with the tech tree, I only need the SAR and Multi? The SAR is for slope and the Multi for biome (not using anomaly)?

Thanks

@Gilph

With stock scanning disabled both the M700 and Narrow Band work like regular SCANsat scanners, they scan the terrain they pass over, and there is no pre-requisite for any scan type, you can use the Narrow Band before or in place of the M700.

The Narrow Band scanner has an additional, optional setting that requires there to be one in orbit (and the orbital inclination must allow the scanner to actually cover the region in question) around the planet to get fully accurate data (data will be rounded to the nearest whole number percentage without it), but this can be disabled with the "Require Narrow Band" toggle in the resource settings menu.

The Surface scanner works at any point in a biome and only needs to be run once per biome. It doesn't need to run in biomes you are not interested in. This requirement can also be disabled, using the "Resource Biome Lock" toggle.

The SAR and Radar give terrain and slope data (low resolution for the Radar, which makes it not very useful for slope data), the Multi gives biome and anomaly data. You can turn off the anomaly markers on the map with the X mark toggle.

See the SCANsat wiki for more info on resource scanning and other functions.

Also, I'll upload some 8K biome maps for all of the planets once 1.2 comes out so that people will have some decent references if they don't want to use SCANsat.

Edited by DMagic

5 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Gilph

With stock scanning disabled both the M700 and Narrow Band work like regular SCANsat scanners, they scan the terrain they pass over, and there is no pre-requisite for any scan type, you can use the Narrow Band before or in place of the M700.

The Narrow Band scanner has an additional, optional setting that requires there to be one in orbit (and the orbital inclination must allow the scanner to actually cover the region in question) around the planet to get fully accurate data (data will be rounded to the nearest whole number percentage without it), but this can be disabled with the "Require Narrow Band" toggle in the resource settings menu.

The Surface scanner works at any point in a biome and only needs to be run once per biome. It doesn't need to run in biomes you are not interested in. This requirement can also be disable using the "Resource Biome Lock" toggle.

The SAR and Radar give terrain and slope data (low resolution for the Radar, which makes it not very useful for slope data), the Multi gives biome and anomaly data. You can turn off the anomaly markers on the map with the X mark toggle.

See the SCANsat wiki for more info on resource scanning and other functions.

Sounds good...so, based on my needs at the moment, I will keep Resource Biome Lock and disable Require Narrow Band. Only use the narrow band, SAR, and Multi to get the best scan of resources, slope and biome close to the equator. Place it in polar orbit if I wish to eventually map the whole planet, knowing it will take forever because I'm only using one satellite and I need to scan at different altitudes.

One more, if I may. The surface scanner only checks for ore, but there are many other resources.  Does that mean that only ore can be accurately calibrated?  I use KPBS for bases, and there is a self-sufficient life support option on bodies that have water, because it has a water drill. It also has a water narrow scanner and a water surface scanner.  Will using them affect the ScanSat results and increase the water concentration accuracy?

Thanks

The M700 will scan for all supported resources (which is all CRP resources and a few others). For the high resolution resource scan it will depend on whether a Module Manager patch for it is added somewhere, which I believe is the case for Kerbal Planetary Base Systems.

Contracts not firing. I'm using contract configurator @nightingale and despite the per-requsites as showing "Met" the only contract I've seen is for Kerbin.

I should mention I am using the New Horizons planet pack, so Kerbin is re-parented under Sonnah (a gas giant).

3hJQKQ5.png

There are two planets that are valid, Aptur and the Mun. Not sure if a gas giant would be valid (Sonnah).

@Nori It might be a CC issue. I'm not aware of anything in the SCANsat contract definitions that would be incompatible with planet packs. Nothing is hard-coded for Kerbin for instance, everything checks for CC's definition of the "HomeWorld", and it also checks for a surface, so gas giants shouldn't be offered.

On 10/4/2016 at 8:27 PM, Nori said:

Contracts not firing. I'm using contract configurator @nightingale and despite the per-requsites as showing "Met" the only contract I've seen is for Kerbin.

I should mention I am using the New Horizons planet pack, so Kerbin is re-parented under Sonnah (a gas giant).

3hJQKQ5.png

There are two planets that are valid, Aptur and the Mun. Not sure if a gas giant would be valid (Sonnah).

Can you do me a favour and add trace=true in the contract definition file, and then provide a KSP.log that includes an attempt to generate contracts (going to Mission Control, and waiting for the log messages to stop after a couple seconds should be sufficient).  Once you have that, toss it onto the Contract Configurator tracker for me and I'll see what I can do about getting a fix into the 1.2 Contract Configurator release.

Edited by nightingale

I love this mod. I have about 98% of kerbin scanned.

However, at some point I was playing around and clicked on the 'landing zone' marker and now no matter what I do, even if I am not actively scanning, there is a giant green X overlay on Kerbin itself (can be seen from the map view). I can move this marker around using the 'Big Map' but I can't figure out how to simply turn this marker off entirely.

Hello,

Is anyone else having issues with V16.8 on the prerelease? (Build 1576 and the previous couple of builds)

I can't get any Scansat scanners to deploy and scan on either existing craft or new ones. I.e. when I click the Start scan buttons nothing happens. It was working for me previously but one of the recent builds (not sure which one) seems to have killed it?

Thanks.

Edit: Just had a look and I'm getting a lot of log spam:

[EXC 13:54:52.838] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
	SCANsat.SCANcontroller.OnGUI ()
[EXC 13:54:52.842] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
	SCANsat.SCAN_UI.SCANoverlayController.OnGUIEvery ()
	SCANsat.SCAN_Platform.SCAN_MBE.OnGUI ()
[EXC 13:54:52.845] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
[EXC 13:54:52.849] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
[EXC 13:54:52.854] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.855] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.856] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.858] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.864] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.865] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.867] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.868] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ResourceRatio..ctor'.

[EXC 13:54:52.879] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.

[EXC 13:54:52.892] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
[EXC 13:54:52.894] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
[EXC 13:54:52.897] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
[EXC 13:54:52.901] MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.

Double Edit:

I've tracked it down to an incompatability with Contract Configurator as when I remove that mod the problem goes away. Although from looking at the CC thread it seems like @nightingale released the 1.2 version by accident, so for now I'll just leave that mod out!

Edited by DaveMcC
Details...