[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

On 10/25/2017 at 10:45 PM, DoktorKrogg said:

Getting the same thing here. Windows Defender on Windows 10. It doesn't like SCANsat.dll or SCANsat.Unity.dll. Tried to download the compiled version again from GitHub and Defender blocked that as well (warning in Chrome that says Failed - Virus detected). Downloaded source code from GitHub and recompiled on my machine. Seems to be happy now.

Just an update on the virus situation, I've had no more complaints from Windows Defender since compiling my own versions of the dlls from source.

Which scanner generates the biome map? I'm running GPP and scanned Ceti with the same full range I used on Gael an Iota, but the biome map for Ceti is blank. I guess that could be a GPP problem too, but that would seem to be a pretty noticeable bug if so. MY guess is I'm doing something different on Ceti but not seeing what.

1 minute ago, Brigadier said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Multi-Spectral sensor does this.

Thanks for the quick answer. There are several multi-spectral scanners now, just looking and I see one from SCAN (that is the original?) plus a Trixie multispectral from PP, one from DMagic, and a couple from RN that seem like cheating as a little tiny single scanner seems to do everything. Any known problems or incompatibilities?

1 minute ago, vossiewulf said:

Thanks for the quick answer. There are several multi-spectral scanners now, just looking and I see one from SCAN (that is the original?) plus a Trixie multispectral from PP, one from DMagic, and a couple from RN that seem like cheating as a little tiny single scanner seems to do everything. Any known problems or incompatibilities?

I have no idea about PP or RN. The one from SCANSat is the one from DMagic, regardless of the latter's packaging in a Universal Storage form factor.  No incompatibilities there.

17 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Which scanner generates the biome map? I'm running GPP and scanned Ceti with the same full range I used on Gael an Iota, but the biome map for Ceti is blank. I guess that could be a GPP problem too, but that would seem to be a pretty noticeable bug if so. MY guess is I'm doing something different on Ceti but not seeing what.

It's called "SCAN Multispectral Sensor".

https://imgur.com/wsltbL0

Are you using the latest versions of GPP and Kopernicus?  I had a problem with biomes displaying until that was fixed with the latest versions of those two.

1 hour ago, failurecascade said:

It's called "SCAN Multispectral Sensor".

https://imgur.com/wsltbL0

Are you using the latest versions of GPP and Kopernicus?  I had a problem with biomes displaying until that was fixed with the latest versions of those two.

I haven't moved to 1.31, but I'm using the latest 1.30 versions of both. And yes that was the multispectral scanner I was talking about, DMagic has another one that's big and white and opens clamshell doors.

I've been sent here by Reddit, who suggested I might find help here.

SCANsat problems - Kerbal version installed is 1.3.1 - SCANsat version installed is 18.1 downloaded from Curse - veteran Kerbal player

I recently (in the past week) revisited Kerbal after being away for a while. Updated all my mods. Noticed SCANsat is not working.

Symptoms: SCANsat items provide no additional info on right click (either in inventory or on rocket), SCANsat items in orbit, when double clicked, only say "No target", no effect on right click, no SCANsat tab anywhere in window, no SCANsat map access.

The only way I know that Kerbal is picking up the mod is that the SCANsat items are available in the hanger and the SCANsat tutorial is available in the help menu.

Installation path is Kerbal Space Program/GameData/SCANsat

Troubleshooting: I uninstalled and reinstalled Kerbal and re-downloaded SCANsat from an alternative site (Github). No other mods. No effect, still not working

Note: The files from Curse and the files from Github were different sizes. Both are supposed to be version 18.1. (SCANsat folder-just the mod folder-7,539,626 bytes and 8,156,074 bytes respectively). Neither work. Not sure what size the most recent build is supposed to be.

Might be important to note I only started playing again recently, since after the most recent release of SCANsat (October 11). Wondering if it may be a problem with the current build, but can't find anyone having this issue anywhere else.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:  Link to output log - (Google link replaced an incomplete Pastebin post) please note that mechjeb was installed to see if by some miracle it solved the SCANsat problem.  It didn't.  Symptoms are the same.

Edited by VenusEnvyXP
Pastebin post is not complete. Linked to Google instead.

@VenusEnvyXP The log file cuts off after just a few lines, I'll need to see the entire thing. And I downloaded from Curse to check the file size, it matches the version from GitHub, the package on my PC, and the size you report for the GitHub version.

@vossiewulf and anyone else, the SCANsat parts are all described in detail in the KSPedia entry:

kDsGZUw.png

Edited by DMagic

8 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@vossiewulf and anyone else, the SCANsat parts are all described in detail in the KSPedia entry:

Thanks, will read. I just didn't know that was there, so few mods have nice KSPedia entries I don't remember to look.

Any idea why I have a blank Ceti biome map even though (I've checked) I seem to be running a multispectral scan very close to optimum alt in a 90 degree inclination polar orbit?

28 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@VenusEnvyXP The log file cuts off after just a few lines, I'll need to see the entire thing. And I downloaded from Curse to check the file size, it matches the version from GitHub, the package on my PC, and the size you report for the GitHub version.

My apologies.  I have not used Pastebin before.  Here is a link to Google drive with the changelog.  I've also included a screen shot of the two files with different sizes.  The one on the left is GitHub, the one on the right is Curse.  Thanks in advance.

edit:  ***RESOLVED.  After @DMagic confirmed the size of mod on their computer (8,156,074 bytes) and where they downloaded their mod from (Github), I re-downloaded ScanSAT from Github and re-installed and the issue seems to be resolved after initial testing.  My apologies for wasting forum time; I had uninstalled and reinstalled ScanSAT from various sources and uninstalled and reinstalled Kerbal prior to posting with no effect.  Not sure why it resolved issue now.  Thanks @DMagic.***

Edited by VenusEnvyXP
RESOLVED

@vossiewulf Have you checked the stock biome maps, you can try using a KerbNet enabled probe, I think most of the probe cores will show biomes, except maybe the earliest on or two. I think the biome map cheat option is still available somewhere in the debug menu, that would at least let you know if the biome map is working at all.

12 hours ago, DMagic said:

@vossiewulf Have you checked the stock biome maps, you can try using a KerbNet enabled probe, I think most of the probe cores will show biomes, except maybe the earliest on or two. I think the biome map cheat option is still available somewhere in the debug menu, that would at least let you know if the biome map is working at all.

The issue has been identified and it is that I am an idiot. After puzzling over this and looking at it several times I looked again, and found that I had not actually started the multispectral scan, I had just done the log imaging data experiment. :rolleyes: I found it works much better when turned on. Sorry for the dumb question.

Having le trojan problem, upon extracting scansat from the Zip file, windows defender is detecting SCANsat.dll and SCANsat.Unity.dll as "trojan:Win32/azden.B!cl"

I assume it's a false alarm, but knowing what windows thinks it is might help with the problem, i guess...

I believe venusenvyXP's problem was related to this, because if you just let windows deal with the threat, it gets rid of the two files

*Update* I updated the malware definitions, it seems to have fixed the problem for now. I guess these things just happen...

Edited by The Crusher 862
new info

Odd. FWIW, I downloaded from Github on October 29th and, while I didn't notice any Windows Defender quarantines, SCANsat wasn't working. I just redownloaded today from the same source, reinstalled, and now it's working. Not sure how that comes about, but there you go.

• 2 weeks later...

How does someone find anomalies using this mod? I am currently scanning with a RADAR altimetry sensor around a almost complete polar orbit at the ideal altitude around kerbin. My map is 99% clear (one or two small spots around the oceans mostly). The map is gray scale, and despite me having hem enable, no anomaly symbols are appearing. Am I using the wrong sensor or did I mess up a setting?

29 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

How does someone find anomalies using this mod? I am currently scanning with a RADAR altimetry sensor around a almost complete polar orbit at the ideal altitude around kerbin. My map is 99% clear (one or two small spots around the oceans mostly). The map is gray scale, and despite me having hem enable, no anomaly symbols are appearing. Am I using the wrong sensor or did I mess up a setting?

The Altimetry Sensor doesn't detect anomalies. You need to scan with the Scan Multispectral Sensor (the one that also provides biome information).

SCANsat version 18.2 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This version completely overhauls the included contracts (Contract Configurator is still required for all contracts). They are now organized based on difficulty:

• One star contracts are generated for home-system bodies only and ask for one scan each
  • Two star contracts are generated for non-home-system bodies and ask for a group of scans
    • Low resolution altimetry, biome, and M700 resource scan (this can still be completed if you are using stock resource scanning, it just might not update right away)
    • Generated for bodies that you have already orbited
    • Must not have already completed all of the scans
  • Three star contracts are generated for non-home-system bodies and ask for a different group of scans
    • High resolution altimetry, and Narrow band ore scans (also should work fine with stock scanning, just scan once with the M700 and it will cover all resource types)
    • Generated for bodies you have orbited or that KSP determines are "next" on the list of planets

Some potential bug fixes and errors related to the survey contract waypoints updating (these are for survey contracts where each waypoint is generated one after the other) have been addressed. Also a KSPedia button has been added to the top of the Settings window. It will open to the SCANsat page if you have already opened KSPedia in the current scene, otherwise it will just open to the first entry (KSPedia doesn't load anything until the first time it is opened). A bug with the background scanning toggles in the settings window has also been fixed, along with some minor UI performance tweaks.

And some improvements have been made to the slope maps. Before they did not take the map scale or zoom factor into account, and so were generated expecting that each pixel on the map would represent a very large area of the surface. This has been fixed.

Here is the difference zoomed in at the KSC with the slope cutoff all the way down (this reduces the slope level at which the brighter colors are applied):

VXywjO9.png

And here is one on the Mun, where you can see these weird terrain artifacts appear in the map. These lines and patterns in the terrain are real and fairly obvious if you just zoom out a bit while on the surface, I only noticed this square pattern on the Mun, presumably it has something to do with the crater generation system:

MqWObPP.png

Edited by DMagic

@Brigadier Existing SCANsat contracts will probably disappear (I think CC will complain in the log files when it's loading), and you won't be able to redo any equivalent contracts since the scanning has already been done (unless you want to reset scanning data), but otherwise it shouldn't have any effect.

55 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Brigadier Existing SCANsat contracts will probably disappear (I think CC will complain in the log files when it's loading), and you won't be able to redo any equivalent contracts since the scanning has already been done (unless you want to reset scanning data), but otherwise it shouldn't have any effect.

OK, I'll commit.  I'll take the plunge without resetting the scanning data and see what happens.  I've done biome, altimetry and ore scans of the Kerbin system but nothing else.   I have accepted a contract to do early tech scans of Duna and the probe is on its way, so we'll see what happens there.

All my SCANSat altitude indicators (even at optimal altitudes) on all vessels equipped with SCANsat modules show:

"All Scanning disabled"

How the f... did I do that? 

update: Starting a new game with the same set of mods has a functional SCANsat setup... So whatever I did to cause this must have been within the game itself rather than an incompatible mod

update2: Ignore.. All Scanning Active in the Settings was clicked off

Edited by pp3d