[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

On 5/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, shifty303 said:

Maybe someone here can help. I remember things like water, uranite and other resources being in the overlay list - I have specific locations marked with active mining. When I boot up old saves for instance I can mine uranite and water in a location but it's not on the resource overlay list. I won't add a whole list of mods, but can mods remove resources from ScanSat? Maybe I have to use a different scanner now? All of my scans are at 100% except Jool and Eeloo.

EDIT: Narrowed it down to KSPIE

Ju1IUkW.png

No output log attached because I am not experiencing a crash.

Did you find out a way to make ScanSat and KSPIE to work together without removing resources from the overlay? Or did you have to disable KSPIE?

Edited by HippieGold

2 hours ago, HippieGold said:

Did you find out a way to make ScanSat and KSPIE to work together without removing resources from the overlay? Or did you have to disable KSPIE?

Nah I just decided to process hydrates into water. Also, I learned you can still see the missing resources in the stock resource system. It sucks they aren't in scansat but oh well. Once I got more time I was going to try and figure out how to patch them all back into ScanSat.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:03 AM, Tabris said:

any idea when the CKAN issue will be fixed? as the new version still isn't showing up.

v20.0 will never show up. You'll have to wait till there's a new release with a fixed version file.

EDIT: "never" was far too pessimistic.

Edited by HebaruSan

9 hours ago, Deathninja said:

I'm still on 1.8.1 and trying to get my head around ScanSat and how it plays with resource scanning, but I'm having trouble understanding stuff on the wiki.

Is it OK to ask here or not becuase it's an older version?

If you have selected "Disable Stock Resource scanning", then you need to use ScanSat to find resources instead.  In a nutshell, the difference is:

Stock: send resource scanner, press button, magically receive complete resource map of planet.  Then do surface scans to find the more precise abundance levels.

ScanSat: send fuzzy scanner, spin round planet a few times, get initial resource map.  Send hi res resource scanner for more detail.  Then do surface scans for more precise abundance levels.

If you have the "stock threshhold" setting then when your ScanSat scan reaches say 90%, you'll be able to see the stock resource view as well.

3 minutes ago, Friznit said:

If you have selected "Disable Stock Resource scanning", then you need to use ScanSat to find resources instead.  In a nutshell, the difference is:

Stock: send resource scanner, press button, magically receive complete resource map of planet.  Then do surface scans to find the more precise abundance levels.

ScanSat: send fuzzy scanner, spin round planet a few times, get initial resource map.  Send hi res resource scanner for more detail.  Then do surface scans for more precise abundance levels.

If you have the "stock threshhold" setting then when your ScanSat scan reaches say 90%, you'll be able to see the stock resource view as well.

Thanks, been fiddling around a bit as well to try and understand it better. Part of the issue is stock feels useless because there's no bioe map and the narrow band is only helpful when it's exactly over the bit you want to look at.

I've got "require narrow band scanner" disabled because I have a feeling that introduces that nonsense, and it looks like this so far:

- M700 sweeps are wider and to the nearest integer.

- Narrow-band (and by extension any custom mod scanners like karbonite?) are narrower but to 2 dp, so mousing across a sweep I can see it go lo-hi-lo precision.

- This is persistently viewable on the big map (which is the critical thing for me)

No idea what will happen if I lose the narrow-band vessel in this case; I like to deorbit probes once they're finished with but not sure if I'll lose the precision (likewise if the anomoly scanner gets decommisioned if I lose the ? marks)

Haven't looked at the surface scanner yet; I have Biome lock off (no idea what that means) so not sure if it makes any difference to land one (or if I had it enabled if it would make the narrow-band pointless, unless that falls someway between the two).

My normal process is biome scan > low res scan > hi res scan > narrow band scan > surface scan.  Once I find biomes which have a high average, I run a narrow band sweep to find where the hot spots are and then land a surface scanner to get the final number.  Often I skip the narrow band scanner though because you can usually get "good enough" just by doing a surface scan anywhere in the biome.  I depends how scarce the resources are though - Ore in JNSQ is pretty rare so encourages more advanced scanning to get the sweet spots.

I'll admit I typically skip the low res scan, especially if I already have the high-res scanners unlocked.  It's also the only one (aside from a surface scan/sample) that I think of as an incremental - So I don't do a biome scan and then a high res scan: I group scanners by altitude and send them up together.  I think of them as 'biome scan, terrain scan, resources scan', with the new addition of 'image scan'.

The one hint I'll have is that when you put the scanning satellite in orbit, check the scanning map to see it's track.  The little ticks on the equator are where the scan will pass in the next several orbits over time - make sure they don't line up to closely, or you'll just be scanning the same area of the surface over and over.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

The one hint I'll have is that when you put the scanning satellite in orbit, check the scanning map to see it's track.  The little ticks on the equator are where the scan will pass in the next several orbits over time - make sure they don't line up to closely, or you'll just be scanning the same area of the surface over and over.

Which is a strong argument for a moderately eccentric polar orbit, if one has sufficient ΔV to put it there.

16 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Which is a strong argument for a moderately eccentric polar orbit, if one has sufficient ΔV to put it there.

Typically that's my solution: just point prograde and fire until the orbits don't always line up - and when I spot the problem it usually takes less than 20m/s to fix the orbit.

I have a question: I was exploring anomalies. And the scansat marked me the anomaly in yellow, but now that I think about it, I don't remember receiving any notification in the game saying that I found a strange monolith.
Is it possible that the scansat marks the anomaly in yellow but the game does not consider it "discovered"?
Do I have to worry about not receiving the bonus for discovering an anomaly?
PS: I was using a version of the mod before May 5.

@jaunco325 I think you "discover" an anomaly according to KSP when you come within about 2km of it.

SCANsat marks anomalies in grey when scanned from orbit, and yellow when scanned with the BTDT, but you wouldn't necessarily have to come within the KSP anomaly distance to trigger that.

I think KSP will generate one of those achievement message in the stock message app. Otherwise I think the only way to track that sort of thing is with Contracts Window+, which will also show you all of those kinds of progress and discovery achievements.

@Syntax I have no idea why people are excited about those ideal altitude plots. I never cared about that. I just follow the basic instructions in the SCANsat KSPedia entry for setting up a good orbit.

Also note that thread and most of the replies are from 2014, so they might not still be relevant. They definitely don't take into account the new parts.

Edited by DMagic

Can someone help shed some light for me?

I thought I knew SCANsat... but then I found this, and I honestly don't get it. There is so much data here, and all the people responding are so excited about it... and I don't understand what the data means or why it pleases people or how it could be useful to me as a SCANsat user.

I know that different scanner parts have different ideal orbit altitudes, and that small adjustments to that altitude will make for more complete scans of the surface, but this... this is something more, no?

I think of myself as fairly well versed in KSP and its mechanics (orbital mechanics and game mechanics), but the significance of these graphs continues to elude me. I know some have to do with other mods that I don't use (KSPI, MKS, Karbonite, EPL), but what about the base SCANsat stuff?

For example, what are the "Ideal Zones" graphs about? I don't think I know how to even read them properly, let alone what they describe.

And what the heck is a resonance structure? (And Sidelaps?)

And why was it not important to @technogeeky to include the data pertaining to the Kerbin system? Or did he, and I just missed it?

:/

Any help with understanding all this will be much appreciated.

@DMagic

I see that you fixed the bad .version file on Github.  Any idea when you will release an updated copy so that  CKAN can install the new version?

No rush, the old one is working fine for me, but I'd like to have an idea about when I'll have to update my big install.

Thaans