[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

I DIDNT ASK FOR THIS!

http://i.imgur.com/DJfHYRv.png

How do I stop it spawning asteroids? for some reason, once it starts on my setup, it just never stops.

http://i.imgur.com/7PuzWKk.jpg

Needless to say, this makes the game somewhat laggy.

Uhhhh... I think your system has asteroid lice... you mmiiiight want to do something about that... like for example... deleting them? I think you can go into the config and set the maximum amount of li-asteroids... you've got a seriouse problem there.... lets hope that you don't have alot of progress you don't want to give up because unless you deal with the lag and destroy the asteroids... I don't think your going to get rid of them...

p.s. have fun with your astrolice!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you help me? When i load up my save that i always play on, it lags like heck. even on 64-bit version! I go into the space center and... BAM! Asteroid belt! It's lagging my space center! I don't know if its the asteroid belt or what. I have 8 flights BTW all debris gone.

Can you help me? When i load up my save that i always play on, it lags like heck. even on 64-bit version! I go into the space center and... BAM! Asteroid belt! It's lagging my space center! I don't know if its the asteroid belt or what. I have 8 flights BTW all debris gone.

1. do NOT use 64-bit! it is unstable!

2. pics?

Uhhhh... I think your system has asteroid lice... you mmiiiight want to do something about that... like for example... deleting them? I think you can go into the config and set the maximum amount of li-asteroids... you've got a seriouse problem there.... lets hope that you don't have alot of progress you don't want to give up because unless you deal with the lag and destroy the asteroids... I don't think your going to get rid of them...

p.s. have fun with your astrolice!

help is a few comments up :P

p.s chill! calm down!

Edited by Joshwoo69

I think a better question is are there asteroids larger than Class E?

I believe the answer is no, unless a new update has occurred.

Also, is it possible to give Dres some form of ring? I want Dres to be a slightly less lonely space potato.

1. do NOT use 64-bit! it is unstable!

2. pics?

help is a few comments up :P

p.s chill! calm down!

Yeah, um i got a new processor and motherboard so I kinda... Lost everything. And I downloaded this and other mods that I had before, and it doesn't lag.:P

How's the mod working with 0.90. Looking to move over to 0.90 tonight.

Give it a test and let us know!:wink:

Buuut I already tested it real quick in sandbox and career, and it looks like it works in 0.90. Just remember, you can't track unknown objects (asteroids) until the final upgrade for the Tracking Station. The lower tiers lock the ability to track.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm checking this out in 0.90 myself. I didn't get any message about the mod being incompatible, so that's a good sign.

I tried in sandbox mode and while I saw one between Duna and Dres, that disappeared after a while and I haven't seen any others appear since.

Edit: Just tried the science mode game and they appear all over the place.

Edited by smjjames

It seems to have some issues with 0.90, it spawned 1600+ asteroids in my company gameplay when I didn't even have 3rd level of tracking station rendering game unplayable at around 5 fps. :( Im not completely sure why it happened, I had launched contract sat and placed it into designated orbit but realised direction of movement should be opposite. So I have burnt retrograde untill orbit flipped and thats when fps dropped, but I thought if was cuz of firefox flash plugin which tends to eat a lot of my processing power from time to time. Turned out asteroids were a cultprit after I landed all vessels and zoomed out in tracking station.fjmf43.jpg

Edited by Gosye

Similar issue with the "Asteroid Lice." I observed the Alt-F2 window spawning asteroids continuously, each one accompanied by a NullReferenceException. The savegame grew from the appropriate 200-odd KB to nearly 5 MB. This resulted in unplayable framerates, and the savegame editing almost killed Notepad every time I attempted to delete something. Interestingly enough, it only seemed to start when I launched my second craft of the savegame, during the burn to go to Minmus. Anyway, here's an image of the savegame sizes. Persistence is before removing the innumerable things, Quicksave is after.

kGLgKr9.png

I've been running Custom Asteroids for some time under 0.90 with only one astrolice infestation. I had just added BetterBuoyancy - of the five boots with BB loaded I had two problems - this was one of them. I've removed BB and haven't had any problems since. I don't know if the problem is with Custom Asteroids or with BB (or something else) - I have a ton of mods loaded and haven't found the motivation to try and track it down.

I've been running Custom Asteroids for some time under 0.90 with only one astrolice infestation. I had just added BetterBuoyancy - of the five boots with BB loaded I had two problems - this was one of them. I've removed BB and haven't had any problems since. I don't know if the problem is with Custom Asteroids or with BB (or something else) - I have a ton of mods loaded and haven't found the motivation to try and track it down.

Had BB active also, but not sure how it can cause this spawning bug so I did not think of removing it to try out.

OK - just made a fresh install with only BB and Custom Asteroids. Set it running and did other things for forty minutes - all good - two asteroids. Orbited a craft and did a long burn (same situation where I saw the problem before). Came back four minutes later and astrolice. Took out BB and re ran scenario - Asteroids are behaving.

I think this may be an issue with timewarp creating tons of asteroids in stock, not necessarily a problem with better asteriods :-(

It is, most likely. I've noticed if I load a new save for testing something and use HyperEdit to jump ahead a few months in Epoch time, the game will freeze up and generate all the asteroids that should have appeared during the time I skipped.

Also, stock despawns untracked asteroid after some time, this does not seem to happen with CustomAsteroids, or at least not quickly enough. So we have to find a way to either tweak spawn/despawn rate, or set a cap for asteroids after which no more get added....

Edit: after playing around with this some more, it seems it only handles very high rates of timewarp badly - as soon as you go back to 1000x or so, despawn rate actually supersedes spawn rate, acting as a "clean up"... Also, apparently one can tweak the spawn rates and method quite a lot via configs, starstrider has done some excellent documentation for this.

Edited by Tellion

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.