[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

if UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = stock but Custom Asteroids is installed you will not have the basic spawner (which CA turns off), but will still have the Sentinel spawner. Sentinel will behave exactly like it does in stock, without using Custom Asteroids configs.

That sounds like I'm looking for.  Plus, @Poodmund this setting would allow OPM to no longer need asteroid/comet implementation internally.  Instead you could put OPM comets/asteroids into  a CA cfg file.  I would think that after the initial work, it would be quicker and easier to maintain OPM by relegating upkeep/changes of asteroids and comets to simple editing of the OPM CA config, saving your time and effort to be directed at planets and moons.

@Starstrider42 @R-T-B @Poodmund Please reality check my scenario below:

Load Kopernicus and set UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = stock. 
Load OPM on Kopernicus. 
Load CA, with no config.
At this point I have an OPM system, with Sentinel asteroid working, but nothing else anywhere - stock is turned off and CA has no configs.

So now I start tweaking:

I want the inner system back to something that looks close to stock, so CA will load Basic Asteroids.cfg
In order to get coverage of the OPM areas, so CA will also add OPM-Reconfig.cfg 
Finally, I want a kupier belt.  So I need to get CA to do that by adding Trans-Neidon.cfg 

Assuming  those configs are used together:

Am I correct in saying that these would give me proper asteroid coverage through the entire system including the OPM added planets/moons, with the Sentinel missions intact, and the addition of the Kupier belt objects?  Are there comets included in the configs? Do they transit from the K-Belt to Kerbol? 
The reason I ask is that I noticed you mention the Basic Asteroids does not include comets.  Given that use of configs fixes the asteroids, I was wondering about these CA configs ability to manage all the comet activity needed.

This would yield a complete system that is consistent, bodies spawn correctly and in proper orbits and sufficient types, including planets, moons, asteroids and comets.  At that point 
I have what I wanted.

Basically Kopernicus runs my planets and moons via OPM, and CA runs my asteroids and comets, and I still retain stock capability but it is limited exclusively to Sentinel missions as I wanted it to be. 

And maybe add Asteroid Scott Manley as the cherry on top. :D

Edited by Murdabenne
clarification

On 2/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, Murdabenne said:

So now I start tweaking:
I want the inner system back to something that looks close to stock, so CA will load Basic Asteroids.cfg
In order to get coverage of the OPM areas, so CA will also add OPM-Reconfig.cfg 
Finally, I want a kupier belt.  So I need to get CA to do that by adding Trans-Neidon.cfg 

Am I correct in saying that these would give me proper asteroid coverage through the entire system including the OPM added planets/moons, with the Sentinel missions intact, and the addition of the Kupier belt objects?  Are there comets included in the configs? Do they transit from the K-Belt to Kerbol? 
The reason I ask is that I noticed you mention the Basic Asteroids does not include comets.  Given that use of configs fixes the asteroids, I was wondering about these CA configs ability to manage all the comet activity needed.

Not quite. Comets are provided by Stockalike.cfg, and from your description above it sounds like you want that instead of Basic Asteroids.cfg (Basic Asteroids creates an asteroid belt between Duna and Jool, something stock does not do). If you substitute Stockalike in your description above then yes, that should be the behavior you get.

Edited by Starstrider42

On 2/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, Wolves_Hero said:

Worked now just spawn, but look huge asteroids on size A tiny is weird how change size.

Sorry, I couldn't understand that. If you're asking how to control the sizes of asteroids, you want something like, for example:

ASTEROIDGROUP
{
	// Other properties go here

sizes
	{
		key = 1.5 C
		key = 3 D
		key = 2 E
	}
}

to give a 3:6:4 ratio of C, D, and E asteroids, but no A or B.

If you're saying that size A asteroids look huge when they shouldn't, that sounds like a bug. If so, can you provide more information, following the "How to get support" guidelines? The log file and a list of other mods installed are the most important parts.

Edited by Starstrider42

• 2 months later...

I am having an issue where Custom Asteroids is not spawning asteroids at all. The error message im getting says "Exception: MissingFieldException: Field 'GameEvents.onCometSpawned' not found". Just wondering if anyone knows of this issue already and a quick fix, if not ill get the logs and post them. I have Kopernicus and OPM installed, running ksp 1.9.1.

On 5/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, QWertyjoe said:

I am having an issue where Custom Asteroids is not spawning asteroids at all. The error message im getting says "Exception: MissingFieldException: Field 'GameEvents.onCometSpawned' not found". Just wondering if anyone knows of this issue already and a quick fix, if not ill get the logs and post them. I have Kopernicus and OPM installed, running ksp 1.9.1.

It sounds like you're trying to run Custom Asteroids 1.9, which (like anything comet-related) is only compatible with KSP 1.10 and later. If you install Custom Asteroids 1.8 (links available in original post) you should not have any problems.

Edited by Starstrider42

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2014 at 8:07 AM, Starstrider42 said:

Does not interact with Kopernicus -- if you install CA and Kopernicus, you'll have two completely independent asteroid systems.

So does that mean if you install Kopernicus, CA will become useless?

On 7/8/2021 at 1:50 AM, Neebel said:

So does that mean if you install Kopernicus, CA will become useless?

Not at all. Custom Asteroids offers more features than Kopernicus's asteroid system (the latter tries to be fairly stockalike), so it's quite possible to use Kopernicus for planets but Custom Asteroids for asteroids. I play that way myself (with OPM). Kopernicus now has a flag that lets you use Custom Asteroids exclusively; there was a discussion on this thread about it in January/February.

Actually, I should mention the flag in the disclaimer, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, llamaskywalker said:

How do i add the packs for OPM?

And how do i even download them

Sorry for the slow reply. There are several asteroid packs for OPM, all of which are available from either GitHub (see the original post for links) or CKAN (search for mods with "Custom Asteroids" in their name).

For the GitHub downloads, you get a single .cfg (text) file that needs to go somewhere within your <KSP install>/GameData directory. The traditional location is GameData/CustomAsteroids/config, but you can also create your own folder and put them there. For the CKAN downloads, CKAN will install them in GameData/CustomAsteroids/config. KSP will automatically load the files next time it starts (assuming you have Custom Asteroids already installed).

As for which asteroid packs work with OPM:

• Stockalike and Basic Asteroids are included with the non-CKAN installs of Custom Asteroids (on CKAN, they can be requested separately), and work just fine with OPM. These cover the solar system at Jool's orbit and inward. Note that the Trans-Jool pack included with Custom Asteroids does not play well with OPM, and I recommend removing that file from GameData/CustomAsteroids/config if you have it.
  • Trans-Neidon provides OPM-ified versions of the centaurs, the Kuiper Belt, and the scattered disk. It also tweaks comets (from Stockalike) a bit to better fit the expanded solar system.
  • OPM-Reconfig is a Custom Asteroids remake of the Kopernicus asteroid config shipped with OPM, which adds moonlets around all four giant planets. Whether this is useful for you depends on your Kopernicus settings (search this page for "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem"); if you're already getting these objects from Kopernicus, then I don't recommend getting more from Custom Asteroids.

I hope that helps. If not, please let me know; I promise to respond faster next time. :)

Edited by Starstrider42

On 2/17/2022 at 8:14 PM, Starstrider42 said:

Sorry for the slow reply. There are several asteroid packs for OPM, all of which are available from either GitHub (see the original post for links) or CKAN (search for mods with "Custom Asteroids" in their name).

For the GitHub downloads, you get a single .cfg (text) file that needs to go somewhere within your <KSP install>/GameData directory. The traditional location is GameData/CustomAsteroids/config, but you can also create your own folder and put them there. For the CKAN downloads, CKAN will install them in GameData/CustomAsteroids/config. KSP will automatically load the files next time it starts (assuming you have Custom Asteroids already installed).

As for which asteroid packs work with OPM:

• Stockalike and Basic Asteroids are included with the non-CKAN installs of Custom Asteroids (on CKAN, they can be requested separately), and work just fine with OPM. These cover the solar system at Jool's orbit and inward. Note that the Trans-Jool pack included with Custom Asteroids does not play well with OPM, and I recommend removing that file from GameData/CustomAsteroids/config if you have it.
  • Trans-Neidon provides OPM-ified versions of the centaurs, the Kuiper Belt, and the scattered disk. It also tweaks comets (from Stockalike) a bit to better fit the expanded solar system.
  • OPM-Reconfig is a Custom Asteroids remake of the Kopernicus asteroid config shipped with OPM, which adds moonlets around all four giant planets. Whether this is useful for you depends on your Kopernicus settings (search this page for "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem"); if you're already getting these objects from Kopernicus, then I don't recommend getting more from Custom Asteroids.

I hope that helps. If not, please let me know; I promise to respond faster next time. :)

I meant that i cant download the cfg files from github

it just doesn't have a download button

On 2/19/2022 at 7:15 PM, llamaskywalker said:

I meant that i cant download the cfg files from github

it just doesn't have a download button

I'm not sure I follow. There is indeed no "download" button. The links in the OP go directly to the files; they can then be saved to disk using your browser's "Save Page As" (or similarly named) command. If instead you navigated to the Custom-Asteroids-Extras releases, the links under "Assets" should save to disk instead of opening the files in your browser.

Please let me know if either option works for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 7:49 PM, Starstrider42 said:

I'm not sure I follow. There is indeed no "download" button. The links in the OP go directly to the files; they can then be saved to disk using your browser's "Save Page As" (or similarly named) command. If instead you navigated to the Custom-Asteroids-Extras releases, the links under "Assets" should save to disk instead of opening the files in your browser.

Please let me know if either option works for you.

it worked, thx

Trojans and main belt asteroids are in the Basic Asteroids pack. It sounds like you downloaded Custom Asteroids as a zip file; Basic Asteroids is in the Standard Setup folder of the zip. Installation works the same way as for the OPM packs.

As for too many comets, I'm not sure what to say. You should only see 4-5 comets a year, and only roughly 1 at a time if you leave them untracked. Can you send me the log as described in this post (I'm fine with you messaging a link instead of putting it here in the thread)? Hopefully it will reveal what's going on.

Edited by Starstrider42

• 4 weeks later...

@Starstrider42, do you have any tutorial for configuring this mod?  I wanted to create something akin to a very tightly packed group of potatoroids around some planet purely for cinematic purposes, and teleporting roids 1 at a time to any given spot is just painful.  If there a way to make a config that would spawn large numbers of these things say near a single point in space with a little bit of locational variation?

3hP519r.png.png

What im looking for is something sorta like this.  I made that station by bolting the roids together using klaws with extremely high offset values (they appear separate but its actually one massive craft).  Wondering if this mod can be used to artificially create a persistent cloud of roids somewhere in orbit.

Sorry, I have documentation of the config options (which badly needs some reorganization), but nothing step-by-step.

As for your specific question, it would be difficult. The current system doesn't support multi-part asteroids (it's been a feature request for a while now, but I have no idea where to even begin). If you wanted to create a specific asteroid swarm, you could create a group for it with very narrow tolerances on all six orbital elements (and no variation at all in semimajor axis, to keep them from drifting out of formation). If you want to create dense swarms with the orbit of each individual swarm being randomized, however, I don't see a way to do that.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.