[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

11 hours ago, Osel said:

sorry, my mistake, i have more KSP installations (one to play, other to some testing a modding)

i check cfg in wrong installation, orbitSize settings through Resonance working ok

btw. inclination orbitphase settings ... min - max offset earth.mnl0 dont work?

or in inclination ... min/max ratio earth.inc dont work?

You're trying to use a Gaussian distribution, which can't use the min and max parameters. See the documentation (which I'll admit is not as clear/well-organized as it could be, rewriting it is on the to-do list).

Also, this kind of tweaking is not a good way to do a tilted solar system. See next reply.

5 minutes ago, Osel said:

aaaaaaargh! ... Custom Asteroids could not find any configs in GameData. Asteroids will not appear.

what you check in cfg file? i dont know what missing ... i tying make "universal" cfg for stock and rss

cfg for rss is ok, but when i try make combination of rss + stock, ... aaaaaargh! :D

I suspect there's some problematic ModuleManager interactions (since the RSS config acts on the assumption that there's exactly one non-RSS asteroid config installed and it should be modified rather than replaced). You're better off debugging by trying to look at ModuleManager.ConfigCache.

As for the broader problem: the RSS config is quite old and broken. In addition to the aforementioned assumptions about what other mods the player has installed, it has a lot of hacks (like constraining LAN) to get around the lack of tilted solar system support in Custom Asteroids 1.2 and earlier. I tried to fix the RSS config a while back, but they told me that they were going to stop supporting Custom Asteroids altogether so I needn't bother. I'll have a word with them and see if anything's changed.

i have rss config patched and working, some problems i solve before you reply, but something seems broken when i try use modulemanager features like needs,  after, @, %,  ...

... and one combined config for simple installation dont work

now i go sleep, but tomorrow i post here workaround for players how to change cfg files and my patched config for rss

Edited by Osel

who want now to play RSS in KSP 1.3.1 with Custom Asteroids ( +- real like )

1 - delete  Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\RealSolarSystem\Compatibility\CustomAsteroids.cfg

2 - delete all cfg files in Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\CustomAsteroids\config\

3 - download and copy RSS-CustomAsteroids.cfg to Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\CustomAsteroids\config\

4 - download Custom Asteroids Settings.cfg and overwrite Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\CustomAsteroids\Custom Asteroids Settings.cfg

5 - say thanks to @Starstrider42  ...  ( : and maybe also me : )

Edited by Osel
+ 1.3.1

@Starstrider42 maybe not the fault of CA but I've been getting a LOT of duplicate asteroids. I have quite a large number for realism purposes so that may be part of the reason but still, I'm talking about the same name popping up several game days or weeks apart and having the exact same orbital parameters - are the asteroid names used as the seed for the final orbits? Any thoughts as to why they are showing up so often?

Stock-CustomAsteroids.cfg - my config for stock KSP 1.3.1

( before use - delete all cfg files in Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\CustomAsteroids\config\ )

in Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\CustomAsteroids\Custom Asteroids Settings.cfg

change this:

CustomAsteroidSettings
{
    RenameAsteroids = True
    Spawner = FixedRate
    ErrorsOnScreen = True
    MinUntrackedTime = 75
    MaxUntrackedTime = 80

VersionNumber = 1.5.0
}

On 1/9/2018 at 5:42 PM, Drew Kerman said:

@Starstrider42 maybe not the fault of CA but I've been getting a LOT of duplicate asteroids. I have quite a large number for realism purposes so that may be part of the reason but still, I'm talking about the same name popping up several game days or weeks apart and having the exact same orbital parameters - are the asteroid names used as the seed for the final orbits? Any thoughts as to why they are showing up so often?

I've seen randomization problems before, but those took the form of the first asteroid in every game being the same. I haven't seen what you're describing. I don't use a specific seed for the orbits, but both KSP's name generation and my orbit generation use the KSP random number stream, so it's not surprising that they're correlated.

As for why you're seeing repetition, my best guess is that some other mod might be periodically resetting the game's seed. Is that a possibility?

On 1/10/2018 at 1:30 PM, Osel said:

Stock-CustomAsteroids.cfg - my config for stock KSP 1.3.1

( before use - delete all cfg files in Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\CustomAsteroids\config\ )

in Path-to-your\KSP\GameData\CustomAsteroids\Custom Asteroids Settings.cfg

change this:

CustomAsteroidSettings
{
    RenameAsteroids = True
    Spawner = FixedRate
    ErrorsOnScreen = True
    MinUntrackedTime = 75
    MaxUntrackedTime = 80

VersionNumber = 1.5.0
}

While I don't object to people making their own configs, please do not give them names starting with "CustomAsteroids_" (as noted in the comment). Also, with the settings you've described there will be 40-50 asteroids around on average; is that intentional?

On 1/15/2018 at 7:06 PM, Starstrider42 said:

Is that a possibility?

perhaps? Is it the Seed parameter at the top of the persistence file? I can keep an eye on it...

Also forgot to mention that the Ast. asteroids spawned from stock always are unique, it's all the other asteroids that spawn duplicates time and time again

Edited by Drew Kerman

Higher untracked time has 2 meanings

1 - asteroids on colision course need this time to hit planet

2 - higher asteroid population ... with my spawnrate and untrackedtime is about 75 (+-) asteroids in system ... ( : bad? : )

i dont change CustomAsteroids_ because i leave this config inside C.A. addon ... as "original - rewrited" config

(and i leave this in C.A. original config directory as "original" because when i first time start writing configs outside using MM parching, i fight with many problems and errors, for example MM parch to delete asteroidgroups dont work, when i leave config directory empty C.A. say "no config" and dont work ... ... so I gave up and wrote it as one complete "original" in the original directory )

Edited by Osel

I'm trying to write a config that would spawn a handful of persistent asteroids around a  planet. For example a group of 3-12 asteroids would spawn around Jool. Those asteroids would be there waiting to be discovered.

It looks like persistence can be adjusted globally using MinUntrackedTime and MaxUntrackedTime, in the CustomAsteroidSettings. Is it possible to define those by asteroid group?

Update: The config I've built is in the spoiler below. It's generating asteroids in between the orbits of the two moons (I'm using Gael, Iota and Ceti, but it just as easily could be Kerbin, Mun and Minmus). so it works, now I just want to be able to do 2 things:

• define the total size of the group - say 3-12
  • Make them 'permanent' - they are generated early in the game and will stay there for the rest of the game unless acted on by another body.
Spoiler

ASTEROIDGROUP
    {
        name = GaelMoonlet
        title = Gael Local

spawnRate = 0.1

centralBody = Gael

orbitSize
        {
            dist = Uniform
            min = Ratio(Iota.sma, 1.15)
            max = Ratio(Ceti.sma, 0.85)
        }

eccentricity
        {
            dist = Rayleigh
            avg = .05
        }

inclination
        {
            dist = Rayleigh
            avg = 15
        }
    }

Edited by Tyko

On 22/01/2018 at 7:09 PM, Tyko said:

Update: The config I've built is in the spoiler below. It's generating asteroids in between the orbits of the two moons (I'm using Gael, Iota and Ceti, but it just as easily could be Kerbin, Mun and Minmus). so it works, now I just want to be able to do 2 things:

• Make them 'permanent' - they are generated early in the game and will stay there for the rest of the game unless acted on by another body.

I don't think there is a way to set a limit on the size of the group or give them a specific lifetime. From the documentation, you can adjust the spawnrate of the group and min/max lifetimes for all asteroids in the global CA settings, but neither of these really do what you want them to do. The Kopernicus spawner, however, allows customising both the min/max untracked lifetimes and min/max group size.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:16 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Also forgot to mention that the Ast. asteroids spawned from stock always are unique, it's all the other asteroids that spawn duplicates time and time again

Ok, then that is strange. Can you file a bug report on GitHub, or should I do it?

On 1/22/2018 at 11:09 AM, Tyko said:

I'm trying to write a config that would spawn a handful of persistent asteroids around a  planet. For example a group of 3-12 asteroids would spawn around Jool. Those asteroids would be there waiting to be discovered.

It looks like persistence can be adjusted globally using MinUntrackedTime and MaxUntrackedTime, in the CustomAsteroidSettings. Is it possible to define those by asteroid group?

There's already a feature request for allowing asteroid groups to have a cap on how many asteroids they can have (although TBH I'm not sure when I'll be able to do more modding). Making asteroids permanent would be quite a bit trickier, since that means meddling with how KSP manages untracked asteroids. I'm surprised to hear that Kopernicus can do it; I'll take a look when I can.

37 minutes ago, Starstrider42 said:

There's already a feature request for allowing asteroid groups to have a cap on how many asteroids they can have (although TBH I'm not sure when I'll be able to do more modding). Making asteroids permanent would be quite a bit trickier, since that means meddling with how KSP manages untracked asteroids. I'm surprised to hear that Kopernicus can do it; I'll take a look when I can.

Thanks for considering this :)

If you could set the MaxUntrackedTime on a per Asteroid Group basis I think you could essentially make them permanent by putting a huge number in MaxUntrackedTime

5 hours ago, Starstrider42 said:

Ok, then that is strange. Can you file a bug report on GitHub, or should I do it?

I did. Of course in the time since your last post I've seen like 2 or 3 duplicated Ast. names, but far more dupes show up in the CA groups

• 2 weeks later...

I always want to playthroughs that do things with asteroids, but always get frustrated and ignore them because of the absurd collision meshes not matching the surfaces (seriously, who designed it to generate an independant collider???).  is there any mod that fixes this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

since you didnt report back. i take it that it works?

I was actually back at this thread earlier tonight and saw my post (forgot about it, had just updated to 1.4 and was gathering my usual mods when I posted it). I haven't had the time to play enough to see if asteroids are spawning but the game loads and runs fine, no exceptions in .log file nor in game, just can't confirm if the actual mechanics work. Unfortunately I have work in 8 hours so I have to get to bed, but I'll start up the game before I lay down, should be up by the time I wake up, give or take an hour :P. I'll throw the discovery rate to the max and fast forward a month or so and report what shows up.

tl;dr

Game runs fine with mod, but don't know if it's spawning asteroids, will edit this post in a few hours with results :)

Update:

Ended up staying up long enough for it to load. Did a test with high spawn rate and ran time ahead to 100 days (checked every 19 days), and nothing showed up, so it looks like that the mod does not work for 1.4 yet.

Edited by shoe7ess

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@shoe7ess and @Mathrilord, I finally got a chance to test Custom Asteroids with KSP 1.4 and it appears to work fine (with the three stock configs, at least). Can you still reproduce your failures?

I still need to do a bit of investigation to make sure nothing's broken in more subtle ways, but so far I'm inclined to mark CA 1.5 as compatible with KSP 1.4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Custom Asteroids 1.6.0 is now out. This version is mostly bug fixes, but it does add localization support (only tested on English KSP, sorry). You can get it from SpaceDock, Curse, Github, or CKAN.

Apologies for again dropping off the radar. :( I've recently committed to working on KSP modding for at least one day a week, and I'm also switching to a more adaptive workflow to keep me from getting hung up on cool-but-difficult issues (most recently, Sentinel support). I hope these changes will let me update more frequently and respond to feedback faster.

Unfortunately, that means that updates in the near future will likely be bug fixes and "small" improvements, and major CA limitations like not working with Sentinel or un-cometary comets will be around for a while. On the other hand, if any modders on this thread want to try tackling outstanding issues, I'd appreciate the help.

• 2 months later...

I dont know if this has ever been asked, and thus it might be impossible.

But i would ki... do big things to be able to have asteroids appear in a different orbital color. It can get irritating when you zoom out in the tracking station and you cant find your probe because of 50000 white lines.

8 hours ago, jonassm said:

I dont know if this has ever been asked, and thus it might be impossible.

But i would ki... do big things to be able to have asteroids appear in a different orbital color. It can get irritating when you zoom out in the tracking station and you cant find your probe because of 50000 white lines.

use the filters in the top bar of the Tracking Station/Map View to not see them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.