[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

Ok, now I have asteroids, but they're all off at about a 7 degree inclination from the rest of the system. Intended behavior?

That doesn't sound like intended behavior, no. Can you post a screenshot so I can see what you mean?

Also, do you have any planet-modifying mods like RSS installed? Those might make a difference.

Wow, you got featured on Modding Mondays. Congratulations!

How the heck did that happen? :blush:

Also, quick update: I finally figured out how to add extra modules to asteroids and have them be usable before the asteroid gets loaded (and it's even hackier than giving them a new orbit right after they spawn). I'm still trying to get a prototype working, but at least the ball is rolling towards the next major feature.

That doesn't sound like intended behavior, no. Can you post a screenshot so I can see what you mean?

Also, do you have any planet-modifying mods like RSS installed? Those might make a difference.

I have RSS, but only as part of Better Atmospheres. Here is a screenshot.

qgNehTl.png

Well, that's definitely the RSS 23-degree angle... except that in a full RSS install the planets would be inclined, and the asteroids not. :huh:

Quick sanity check: is this your RSS config (RealSolarSystem/RealSolarSystem.cfg)?

REALSOLARSYSTEM
{
Kerbin
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
//apply your settings here, like
waveLength = 10, 0.65, 0.45, 0.5
}
}
}

No other RSS files except the DLL?

Well, that's definitely the RSS 23-degree angle... except that in a full RSS install the planets would be inclined, and the asteroids not. :huh:

Quick sanity check: is this your RSS config (RealSolarSystem/RealSolarSystem.cfg)?

REALSOLARSYSTEM
{
Kerbin
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
//apply your settings here, like
waveLength = 10, 0.65, 0.45, 0.5
}
}
}

No other RSS files except the DLL?

Yep, that's exactly it.

Is there a way to make "Potentially Hazardous " even more dangereus? I mean increase chance of setting into kerbin SOI

Guess the best way will be adding one more group and getting it's parameters close enough

Currently far from pc , cant test yet , so 2 questions plz:

- Does CA support changing config "on the fly" , without reloading game?

- Looked into default configs , everywhere "centralBody = Sun" , does multi-central body spawn configs work in current version? (want asteroid belt around gilly :sticktongue:)

P.S: nevermind with central body question, read the readme file =)

Edited by DartBoris

Is there a way to make "Potentially Hazardous " even more dangereus? I mean increase chance of setting into kerbin SOI

Guess the best way will be adding one more group and getting it's parameters close enough

Currently far from pc , cant test yet , so 2 questions plz:

- Does CA support changing config "on the fly" , without reloading game?

The PHA's are basically stock asteroids; in my experience over 90% of them pass through Kerbin's SoI. In any case, I haven't figured out how to manually set up intercept trajectories, so your best bet is to increase the fraction/rate of PHAs to your liking.

There's no support for chancing configs on the fly; I assumed any config editing would be a one-time thing.

I have RSS, but only as part of Better Atmospheres. Here is a screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/qgNehTl.png

I just discovered that RSS has a Custom Asteroids config. They could have told me. :(

Anyway, now that I know there is such a file, I suspect you may have accidentally installed it at some point. Can you check whether you have a file in your KSP install called "CustomAsteroids.cfg" that looks like this:

// Real Solar System Custom Asteroids Configuration
// A modified version of excellent Basic Asteroids.cfg by Starstrider42
// For Custom Asteroids 1.0+
// Compatible with Real Solar System v6.0+

@AsteroidSets:FOR[RealSolarSystem]
{
!DEFAULT,*
{
}
!ASTEROIDGROUP,*
{
}

Also check your Custom Asteroids/config/Basic Asteroids.cfg file. I suspect one of those two files is nonstandard.

Edited by Starstrider42

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I installed v1.1.0 when I updated my modded save to 0.25, no asteroids will spawn, at all; I currently have the tracking station saying there is 1 untracked roid, but I can't find it anywhere... I have a completely vanilla install of Custom Asteroids apart from have the JoolRingAsteroid.cfg from Better Atmospheres; i haven't changed any settings. Here's my current modlist:

7wA7VgK.png

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or incompatibilities here? If I need to give any more info, please ask! :)

Ever since I installed v1.1.0 when I updated my modded save to 0.25, no asteroids will spawn, at all; I currently have the tracking station saying there is 1 untracked roid, but I can't find it anywhere... I have a completely vanilla install of Custom Asteroids apart from have the JoolRingAsteroid.cfg from Better Atmospheres; i haven't changed any settings. Here's my current modlist:

http://i.imgur.com/7wA7VgK.png

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or incompatibilities here? If I need to give any more info, please ask! :)

I'm not aware of any incompatibilities (though be advised that DMP and other multiplayer mods have a *LOT* of mod conflicts, so I can't promise any support there). Can you say how long you waited for asteroids? On the default settings (which I may end up changing on the next release :( ) it may take up to an Earth day (4 Kerbin days) for asteroids to appear, because I didn't like the stock "spam the player with lots o' asteroids" system.

Also, if you're using the latest version (https://github.com/Starstrider42/Custom-Asteroids/releases/tag/v1.1.0), you should be getting error messages if anything prevents asteroids from spawning correctly. I assume you haven't seen any?

I'm not aware of any incompatibilities (though be advised that DMP and other multiplayer mods have a *LOT* of mod conflicts, so I can't promise any support there). Can you say how long you waited for asteroids? On the default settings (which I may end up changing on the next release :( ) it may take up to an Earth day (4 Kerbin days) for asteroids to appear, because I didn't like the stock "spam the player with lots o' asteroids" system.

Oh, I know DMP has issues, this is just for a single player save. Due to doing missions to other planets, months have passed on my save... maybe 4-6 Earth months since I updated? But no asteroids in that time; very occasionally I'll get the tracking station say 1 untracked roid has appeared (under the ship type tabs up the top of the screen), but I won't be able to find it, and it won't be there when I restart the game. I used to have loads of asteroids (~150 tracked) when I was playing this save in 0.24 with Custom Asteroids v1.0, with the varied orbits that CA provides (the comets are cool by the way :)); but ever since I had to update to version v1.1 when I shifted my save over to 0.25, no asteroids have spawned, and all the old ones disappeared.... Might it be something to do with the Better Atmosphere's .cfg? That's the only edit I have to the basic mod...

Also, if you're using the latest version (https://github.com/Starstrider42/Custom-Asteroids/releases/tag/v1.1.0), you should be getting error messages if anything prevents asteroids from spawning correctly. I assume you haven't seen any?

Yup, as mentioned above, running v1.1.0; I have reinstalled it a couple of times just incase, but no luck... should I upload a copy of my output_log? Or anything else? :)

I just discovered that RSS has a Custom Asteroids config. They could have told me. :(

Anyway, now that I know there is such a file, I suspect you may have accidentally installed it at some point. Can you check whether you have a file in your KSP install called "CustomAsteroids.cfg" that looks like this:

// Real Solar System Custom Asteroids Configuration
// A modified version of excellent Basic Asteroids.cfg by Starstrider42
// For Custom Asteroids 1.0+
// Compatible with Real Solar System v6.0+

@AsteroidSets:FOR[RealSolarSystem]
{
!DEFAULT,*
{
}
!ASTEROIDGROUP,*
{
}

Also check your Custom Asteroids/config/Basic Asteroids.cfg file. I suspect one of those two files is nonstandard.

aha! There was a modulemanager config in the Realsolarsystem/compatibility folder that changed the custom asteroids configuration. I have deleted it. I suppose I should redownload the Basic Asteroids.cfg to make sure I have the right numbers.

I have Windows 64 bit, but I'm running 32 bit KSP. I know, 64 bit is super buggy; I am using -force-opengl, but this mod worked fine for me in 0.24, it's just when I switched to the v1.1.0 for 0.25 it broke,

Ah ok, I had an issue that the asteroids wouldn`t spawn because of the disabled rss in 64bit, using an older version with the far fix worked and they started spawning soon after a quick timewarp

hi there. thanks for the mod. is it possible to turn some asteroids into comets?

for example add coma (dust tail). that would be great.

This would be a great addition! Maybe some weird shaped ones as well (like the ESA Rosetta spacecraft found out the last couple of months in the 67P Comet), which would give extra challenges about center of gravity. Great mod btw!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.