[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

Also, stock despawns untracked asteroid after some time, this does not seem to happen with CustomAsteroids, or at least not quickly enough. So we have to find a way to either tweak spawn/despawn rate, or set a cap for asteroids after which no more get added....

Edit: after playing around with this some more, it seems it only handles very high rates of timewarp badly - as soon as you go back to 1000x or so, despawn rate actually supersedes spawn rate, acting as a "clean up"... Also, apparently one can tweak the spawn rates and method quite a lot via configs, starstrider has done some excellent documentation for this.

This seems to be the case, I play with Kerbal Construction Time and that involves lots of timewarping from the space centre while ships are built. By default this happens at maximum warp and with a little experimentation my number of untracked asteroids quickly rises to ~200. KCT does however have an option to limit timewarp speed and as you pointed out, if you don't use more than 1000x the asteroids slowly despawn down to more sensible numbers.

Also, stock despawns untracked asteroid after some time, this does not seem to happen with CustomAsteroids, or at least not quickly enough. So we have to find a way to either tweak spawn/despawn rate, or set a cap for asteroids after which no more get added....

Edit: after playing around with this some more, it seems it only handles very high rates of timewarp badly - as soon as you go back to 1000x or so, despawn rate actually supersedes spawn rate, acting as a "clean up"... Also, apparently one can tweak the spawn rates and method quite a lot via configs, starstrider has done some excellent documentation for this.

DOes editing the spawn rate help at all with being able to go to higher time warps, or is the mod only stable under x1000?

• 2 weeks later...

So what are people overall experience with this mod on 0.90? I see this mod is recommended by outer planets and I think surely a good amount of people have downloaded that and have maybe tried this mod? Is stability an issue? Do you deal with it frequently? How do you handle it? I want to install this but if I have to worry about things breaking easy NOT SAYING ITS THIS MODS FAULT i understand it maybe completely stock mechanics. I do not blame the mod. I just want to know if people are and if I can run this stably as I think this mod looks awesome! Thank you!

So what are people overall experience with this mod on 0.90? I see this mod is recommended by outer planets and I think surely a good amount of people have downloaded that and have maybe tried this mod? Is stability an issue? Do you deal with it frequently? How do you handle it? I want to install this but if I have to worry about things breaking easy NOT SAYING ITS THIS MODS FAULT i understand it maybe completely stock mechanics. I do not blame the mod. I just want to know if people are and if I can run this stably as I think this mod looks awesome! Thank you!

It works fine, but very high timewarp levels lead to more asteroids spawning than are getting removed, which will ultimately cause an overflow of them and very serious lag. Work around that by either not the highest timewarps or staying on 1000x timewarp for a while after you had an "astrolice infestation" - that will lead to despawn rate taking over and cleaning up the mess :)

Also, a more subtle approach would be savefile editing, if staying on 1000x for 15 minutes would mess with your missions.

Hi

Has anybody tried setting "UseCustomSpawner" to false in the config file and seeing how that affects astro-lice? It changes the spawn method back to the stock system.

I'll install this and give it a try myself soon, but at the moment I'm actually enjoying playing this game for once...

Hi

Has anybody tried setting "UseCustomSpawner" to false in the config file and seeing how that affects astro-lice? It changes the spawn method back to the stock system.

I'll install this and give it a try myself soon, but at the moment I'm actually enjoying playing this game for once...

I'm pretty sure this works. I've been doing this for a couple days and haven't seen it happen yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am receiving this error message periodically while on maximum timewarp, which is ~10,000x and above due to the Time Control mod.

CustomAsteroids: Could not place Ast. TZC-416. Cause: "CustomAsteroids: Selected invalid population kboNonResonant"
Root Cause: "Culture name r is not supported.
Parameter name: name"

These errors typically come in packs of 3 at the same time, but not always. Note that I do not have the tracking station unlocked.

However, I am actually getting lots of asteroids spawning, all throughout the Kerbin system - even far out amongst the gas giants (Jool, Sarnus and the others).

System specs:

Ubuntu 14.04, x64

12 GB RAM

KSP x64 (Linux)

Mods: SETI, Outer Planets Mod, Keptunian Objects, EVE, Better Atmospheres, Time Control, etc.

000_Toolbar
000_USITools
0PinlineFairings
AJE
AtomicAge
B9_Aerospace
BackgroundProcessing-0.4.0.1.dll
BahaSP
barometric vacuum science.cfg
BetterBuoyancy
BoulderCo
Chatterer
CIT
CoherentContracts
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
Contract_science_modifier
CrossFeedEnabler
CrowdSourcedScience
CustomAsteroids
DDSLoader
DeadlyReentry
Diazo
dir.txt
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
EditorExtensions
EnhancedNavBall
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
EvilCorp
FARuP
FerramAerospaceResearch
filelist.txt
FinalFrontier.dat
Firespitter
FMRS
FreedomTex
ImprovedChaseCamera
JSI
KAS
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFlightData
KerbalIspDifficultyScaler
KerbalMass
KittopiaSpace
Kopernicus
kOS
KSPTweaks
LLLTruckCab
ModuleManager.2.5.13.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleRCSFX
NASAmission
NavyFish
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
Nereid
Nyrath
OblivionAerospace
OLDD
OPM
OPT
Pilot Assistant
PlanetShine
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralParts
QuickScroll
RealChute
RemoteTech
Rover Cabin
S.A.V.E.dat
SCANsat
SETI
ShipManifest
SH_mods
SmartParts
spacetux
Squad
StockBugFixModules
SXT
TechManager
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
TimeControl
toolbar-settings.dat
Trans-Keptunian
TriggerTech
VerneTech
WaypointManager
Yarbrough08

Edited by zilfondel

This mod has some problems with spawning asteroids at high timewarp settings. Looks like Starstrider hasn't been around for a few months, so I doubt this is being actively maintained any more. You could try setting UseCustomSpawner to "False" in "Custom Asteroids Settings.cfg" and see if that helps (it's in GameData/CustomAsteroids/PluginData).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For me it isn't working at all. The game only spawns a single main-belt asteroid, but no new asteroids spawn after that.

EDIT: Ignore that, it works in career mode

Edited by Kallisto

Could anyone familiar with Dres' ring comment on how close (or far off) this is from stock? I got too tired waiting for asteroids to spawn in stock.

AsteroidSets
{
ASTEROIDGROUP
{
name = Dresring
title = Dres Ring Ast.
centralBody = Dres
spawnRate = 0.1
orbitSize
{
type = SemimajorAxis
min = 18000000.0
max = 20000000.0
}
eccentricity
{
avg = 0.01
}
}
}

Thanks, do with it as you wish. This is a bit closer to stock and should be safer with mods modifying planet orbits or scales.

Based on looking at stock for about 16 years, I never saw anything smaller than C-class asteroids in the ring, but since you can set size in custom asteroids (afaik), it's a moot point.

AsteroidSets
{
ASTEROIDGROUP
{
name = Dresring
title = Dres Ring Ast.
centralBody = Dres
spawnRate = 0.1
orbitSize
{
type = SemimajorAxis
min = Ratio(Dres.soi, 0.55)
max = Ratio(Dres.soi, 0.625)
}
eccentricity
{
avg = 0.005
}
}
}

• 2 months later...
Any word on if this mod will be updated by the mod author to reflect compatibility with v1.0.4? It's still flagging as being keyed to v0.25.

Generally if the mod author hasn't updated it for several versions, its safe to assume that for whatever reason they either don't have time to get to it or see no reason to update it if it still works. Further more if its in this state, its better to to check the last three or four pages than just ask a question that may have already been answered.

EDIT: in the case of this author it appears he hasn't posted in nearly a year. So the answer to your question is probably no.

Edited by FungusForge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.