[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

A few thoughts - you include optional configs with the regular download either in a non KSP loaded directory (could make the install a mess) or somehow disabled (say a .cfgx extension) then the user could rename a file to add the config?

Or if your feeling particularly ambitious a GUI to enable/disable.

I'm thinking the optional configs will be relatively small so no reason not to include them - only problem would be the enable/disable mechanics.

On 1/7/2016 at 3:12 AM, wasml said:

A few thoughts - you include optional configs with the regular download either in a non KSP loaded directory (could make the install a mess) or somehow disabled (say a .cfgx extension) then the user could rename a file to add the config?

Or if your feeling particularly ambitious a GUI to enable/disable.

I'm thinking the optional configs will be relatively small so no reason not to include them - only problem would be the enable/disable mechanics.

A non-KSP directory (e.g. "Standard Configs") in the zipfile root might work -- Near Future uses that approach for some optional configs, and I don't think it's caused problems with users not noticing the files (perhaps @Nertea can correct me if I'm wrong). I think .cfgx would make the optional files less visible than a separate download, so no thanks.

I like the GUI idea from a usability standpoint, but I'd have to make a lot of internal changes to make it work (the current code assumes asteroid configs don't change during a single KSP session). So I think I'd prefer the directory idea, if only out of laziness.

Edit: another advantage of the directory idea: either in 1.3 or 1.4 I will be introducing new asteroid parts as a way of controlling asteroid properties (no new models/textures yet, don't get your hopes up). Since asteroid configs would depend on what parts are available, putting them all in the same directory would make sure they get installed together.

Edited by Starstrider42

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2016 at 6:31 AM, TheJewelOfJool said:

By 0.6 beta, do you mean all Kopernicus versions after 0.6?

Well, currently Kopernicus is still on 0.6, so technically yes...

Actually, for Custom Asteroids 1.2+ "not compatible" has become too strong a word. Basically, the two systems ignore each other, and each creates asteroids according to its own rules. Annoying if you're not expecting it, but it wouldn't corrupt your save game or anything. I should probably reword the warning so it sounds less scary.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I installed this, OPM, Arkas, And trans-keptunian. every time I reload a save the asteroids are gone, and the system resets. This is a problem for My en-route colony ship in career.

--EDIT--

Is this the wrong plac to ask for help with these kinds of issues? if not, please tell me so I can get some help with this!

--EDIT--

Hellooo?

Edited by Andem

On 2/4/2016 at 11:29 PM, Andem said:

OK, so I installed this, OPM, Arkas, And trans-keptunian. every time I reload a save the asteroids are gone, and the system resets. This is a problem for My en-route colony ship in career.

--EDIT--

Is this the wrong plac to ask for help with these kinds of issues? if not, please tell me so I can get some help with this!

--EDIT--

Hellooo?

Can you upload your "KSP_Data\output_log.txt" (if Windows) or "~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log" (if Linux) somewhere and send me the link? Also, what versions of these mods are you using (including Kopernicus)?

I can't think of any reason why asteroids would get deleted on game load. Is it just asteroids, or do all ships get  deleted?

On 2/5/2016 at 1:42 AM, daniel l. said:

Is it possible to make asteroid clusters that the game views as a single entity? As in spawning a group of asteroids and creating invisible part connections between them so the game see's them as one.

Short answer: not at present.

Long answer: AFAIK asteroids don't support part attachments, and since the asteroid shape is procedurally generated it would be hard to add nodes by hand. I don't think it's actually impossible, but it would require more skill with parts than I have at the moment.

On 2/4/2016 at 9:29 AM, Andem said:

--EDIT--

--EDIT--

Hellooo?

I'm having much the same problem. Mod installed, .config files in place, stage three tracking station, no rocks. anywhere.

8 hours ago, Starstrider42 said:

Can you upload your "KSP_Data\output_log.txt" (if Windows) or "~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log" (if Linux) somewhere and send me the link? Also, what versions of these mods are you using (including Kopernicus)?

I can't think of any reason why asteroids would get deleted on game load. Is it just asteroids, or do all ships get  deleted?

The asteroids load, I track them, and when I reenter the save they are gone. I checked the persist file, and my ships were there, and the asteroids were there. I tried a few times, with quicksave and persist saves and they showed up. I have no idea why, I uninstalled trajectories, which shouldn't have affected it, but here they are.

9 hours ago, Sudragon said:

I'm having much the same problem. Mod installed, .config files in place, stage three tracking station, no rocks. anywhere.

Whenever you track an asteroid, quicksave. the asteroids will be there for sure.

Hi guys,

I tried reproducing this problem in KSP 1.0.5 Win32, with the following mods (and only these mods) installed:

• ModuleManager 2.6.13
  • Custom Asteroids 1.2.0
  • Kopernicus 0.6.3
  • Arkas 0.2.1
  • Outer Planets Mod 1.9.2
  • Trans-Keptunian 0.4
  • Trajectories 1.4.5

I could not get any asteroids to disappear from either sandbox or career games, no matter how many times I reloaded the game. So I'm going to need more information before I can figure out what's going on. If you're not sure what info would be helpful, see this excellent guide by NathanKell.

Edited by Starstrider42

Hi guys,

I tried reproducing this problem in KSP 1.0.5 Win32, with the following mods (and only these mods) installed:

• ModuleManager 2.6.13
  • Custom Asteroids 1.2.0
  • Kopernicus 0.6.3
  • Arkas 0.2.1
  • Outer Planets Mod 1.9.2
  • Trans-Keptunian 0.4
  • Trajectories 1.4.5

I could not get any asteroids to disappear from either sandbox or career games, no matter how many times I reloaded the game. So I'm going to need more information before I can figure out what's going on. If you're not sure what info would be helpful, see this excellent guide by NathanKell.

Ok, I was in 64 bit windows, and I think I overreacted to a series of mishaps on my part. In the career save I'm fairly certain it was a kraken attack on the file, and the test save I was watching didn't have any active vessels, and wasn't autosaving the roids into the persist. sorry to waste your time, I should have put 2 and 2 together earlier.

8 minutes ago, Starstrider42 said:

No problem, it's hard to pin down everything that's going on. ;)

Also, I thought KSP didn't have a 64-bit Windows version anymore?

I did the community hack, it's a lifesaver for anyone using 50+ mods :0.0:

Would using this mod alongside the Kopernicus Beta with the latter's asteroids disabled cause any issues? This asteroid system seems to have more features. (If I don't get an answer in 2 minutes I'm finding out for myself)

On 2/13/2016 at 3:47 PM, Andem said:

I did the community hack, it's a lifesaver for anyone using 50+ mods :0.0:

True dat. It's really easy to set up, too.

Edited by ShadyAct

On 2/18/2016 at 0:50 PM, ShadyAct said:

Would using this mod alongside the Kopernicus Beta with the latter's asteroids disabled cause any issues? This asteroid system seems to have more features. (If I don't get an answer in 2 minutes I'm finding out for myself)

It's been way more than two minutes, but in case anybody else is wondering: no, I don't foresee any problems.

I'll be updating the KerbalStuff links to point to SpaceDock shortly.

• 1 month later...

Well, you can make a specific orbit just by setting all the orbital elements to

<element>
{
	dist   = Uniform
	min    = <value>
	max    = <value>
}

Size control is not yet supported. I'm not sure about the "single asteroid" bit. Do you mean that you'd want a config to create a single asteroid, at some point in the game, and then remember to NEVER create any more asteroids until you start a new game? I'm not sure how to do that, especially when configs can be edited or changed out. Will "one asteroid exists at a time" be good enough?

Broader question for everybody: I've seen the hype about the 1.1 pre-release. Would people be interested in a beta version that works for the 1.1 pre-release (although, TBH, I doubt I'd be able to create a new Custom Asteroids build for each pre-release build)? This would also give me a chance to try out @wasml's suggestion for re-organizing the download.

Edited by Starstrider42
Split post into two. Again.

Well, you can make a specific orbit just by setting all the orbital elements to

<element>
{
	dist   = Uniform
	min    = <value>
	max    = <value>
}

Size control is not yet supported. I'm not sure about the "single asteroid" bit. Do you mean that you'd want a config to create a single asteroid, at some point in the game, and then remember to NEVER create any more asteroids until you start a new game? I'm not sure how to do that, especially when configs can be edited or changed out. Will "one asteroid exists at a time" be good enough?

Broader question for everybody: I've seen the hype about the 1.1 pre-release. Would people be interested in a beta version that works for the 1.1 pre-release (although, TBH, I doubt I'd be able to create a new Custom Asteroids build for each pre-release build)? This would also give me a chance to try out @wasml's suggestion for re-organizing the download.

That's great!  Thanks.  Now how do I do "one asteroid at a time"?  Working through the help files now

On 3/30/2016 at 4:11 PM, Jetski said:

That's great!  Thanks.  Now how do I do "one asteroid at a time"?  Working through the help files now

Sorry, I wasn't clear. That's also not supported at present -- the difference is I think I can actually add a feature like that (probably to the release after next, since I really shouldn't add more to what's already lined up for Custom Asteroids 1.3). Sorry to disappoint. :(

3 hours ago, Starstrider42 said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. That's also not supported at present -- the difference is I think I can actually add a feature like that (probably to the release after next, since I really shouldn't add more to what's already lined up for Custom Asteroids 1.3). Sorry to disappoint. :(

No prob, I figured out a hacky sort of way to do what I wanted. If you are into asteroids (and I am)  there's a for real NASA guy who posted a challenge about this :) OSIRIS REX launch to Bennu

On 3/30/2016 at 1:37 AM, Starstrider42 said:

I, for one, would be; I've been adding mods to my 1.1 prerelease install as either releases or dev versions come out to try to get a feel for what my setup will be like for my 1.1 Career save (and if I discover any bugs along the way, that helps everyone out).

5 hours ago, Andem said:

Just a quick question, @Angel-125 took over Cacteye and was unable to tell me if there would be an issue definitively. Can you tell? My attempts to figure it out haven't given me any results...

If you mean with the spawner, then yes. Neither Kopernicus nor Custom Asteroids use the stock spawner, so Cacteye's spawner may conflict with them. One of my planned features is an API to let Custom Asteroids talk to other mods' spawners or vice versa, but that's a long way off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.