[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

So this mod doesn't work with RSS/RO? I was hoping to try running "real Asteroids" from 2014 but it requires this mod to run. Is there anything that will insert real asteroid orbits to be used in RSS/RO? I'll ask about this in the RSS/RO threads as well. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Bug encountered!

Installing via CKAN.  Core mod, stockalike config, and inner stock system data installed fine.  When I check the box for "outer stock system data", CKAN throws an unhandled exception error, saying "Cannot install <insert random already-installed mod here>".  I tried removing the first mod the error mentioned from CKAN and reinstalling that mod manually, but the error just changed to mentioning a different mod.

Additionally, the mod mentioned in the error no longer shows up in CKAN's list when the filter mode is set to "compatible" (it will show up, still checked, with the filter set to "installed" or "all").

I'm on KSP v1.1.2.

Detailed error output (from the "more info" part of the error window):

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.ModuleNotFoundKraken: Cannot install KerbalSpacePonies, module not available
   at CKAN.CkanModule.FromIDandVersion(IRegistryQuerier registry, String mod, KspVersion ksp_version)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.<RelationshipResolver>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String name)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor(IEnumerable`1 module_names, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IRegistryQuerier registry, KspVersion kspversion)
   at CKAN.MainModList.ComputeConflictsFromModList(IRegistryQuerier registry, IEnumerable`1 change_set, KspVersion ksp_version)
   at CKAN.Main.<UpdateChangeSetAndConflicts>c__async1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CKAN.Main.<ModList_CellValueChanged>c__async0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///f:/Users/silve/KSP%20Mods/ckan.exe
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Dynamic
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Edited by SilverlightPony

Hi all, sorry for the month of silence. Unfortunately, RL stuff is taking longer to resolve than I expected, and I won't be able to return to KSP until late November at the earliest. I'll try to test the existing CA build for compatibility with KSP 1.2 Soon™.

And now, for belated bug replies:

On 9/4/2016 at 1:39 PM, strideknight said:

I'm running a pretty heavily modded game at the moment, full USI suite, OPM, another system based on kopernicus, bunch of other stuff, but I've been getting an error sometimes on switching between the tracking station and the center scenes.  Not sure if it's a Custom Asteroids issue or one of the mods, but I thought I'd post it and ask.  Here's a pic:  ST5BT1L.jpg

I've got asteroids in kerbin orbits as well as the trans jool ones so they're definitely showing up otherwise. That error was just a bit wonky.  Thanks.

I'll have to improve the exception messages (including the group name), but if those numbers are distances (around 5400 km from body center) then that's not one of my asteroid configs. Maybe OPM, but I haven't seen error messages from there... do you have any other mods that add rings or moons?

On 10/6/2016 at 10:19 PM, SilverlightPony said:

Bug encountered!

Installing via CKAN.  Core mod, stockalike config, and inner stock system data installed fine.  When I check the box for "outer stock system data", CKAN throws an unhandled exception error, saying "Cannot install <insert random already-installed mod here>".  I tried removing the first mod the error mentioned from CKAN and reinstalling that mod manually, but the error just changed to mentioning a different mod.

Additionally, the mod mentioned in the error no longer shows up in CKAN's list when the filter mode is set to "compatible" (it will show up, still checked, with the filter set to "installed" or "all").

I'm on KSP v1.1.2.

Detailed error output (from the "more info" part of the error window):

That is weird, and I suspect you'll have to talk to the CKAN people. I can't imagine why Space Ponies would give a conflict.

When you get a mod showing up in the installed/all/incompatible lists, does it say what the conflict is? The Outer stock config is marked as incompatible with a bunch of planet packs that put planets beyond Jool, so if CKAN thinks one of those is installed or being installed...

On 10/7/2016 at 3:31 PM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I've been looking at asteroid missions lately, and of course the question of recreating them in KSP occurs to me.  Is there a way to configure single named asteroids in particular orbits (e.g. to add Bennu to RSS)?  They're too small to be added as full planets.

It's not yet possible, but you're not the first to request it. I'll see what I can do once I have time for development.

1 hour ago, Starstrider42 said:

Hi all, sorry for the month of silence. Unfortunately, RL stuff is taking longer to resolve than I expected, and I won't be able to return to KSP until late November at the earliest. I'll try to test the existing CA build for compatibility with KSP 1.2 Soon™.

Appreciate the update and hopefully being able to at least bump the compatibility up to v1.2 - new features are great but as-is this is already an awesome & essential mod

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got a chance to try out KSP 1.2 yesterday... and things are a mess. Squad's big cleanup was actually worse for Custom Asteroids compatibility than the much-hyped Unity switch in KSP 1.1. :rolleyes:

I've fixed the most obvious problems, but there are at least two issues outstanding:

• The stock spawner has a 50-50 chance of creating a (non-Custom Asteroids) asteroid before it gets shut down. KSP randomness being what it is, this bug is machine-dependent -- either it always happens on your computer, or it never happens.
  • One of the API changes breaks a fix for a sneaky bug involving inclined planetary systems. I've guessed at what the new code should be, but I haven't had time to test it.

I can't assume these are the only two problems, though, so I don't feel comfortable releasing a new version of Custom Asteroids until I've had a chance to thoroughly test everything. And I know I won't have a chance to do that in the next two weeks. So, I'm going to break my promise -- there will not be a Custom Asteroids release until I can get back to full-time modding.

Sorry for the bad news, everyone.

9 hours ago, Starstrider42 said:

Ok, I got a chance to try out KSP 1.2 yesterday... and things are a mess. Squad's big cleanup was actually worse for Custom Asteroids compatibility than the much-hyped Unity switch in KSP 1.1. :rolleyes:

I've fixed the most obvious problems, but there are at least two issues outstanding:

• The stock spawner has a 50-50 chance of creating a (non-Custom Asteroids) asteroid before it gets shut down. KSP randomness being what it is, this bug is machine-dependent -- either it always happens on your computer, or it never happens.
  • One of the API changes breaks a fix for a sneaky bug involving inclined planetary systems. I've guessed at what the new code should be, but I haven't had time to test it.

I can't assume these are the only two problems, though, so I don't feel comfortable releasing a new version of Custom Asteroids until I've had a chance to thoroughly test everything. And I know I won't have a chance to do that in the next two weeks. So, I'm going to break my promise -- there will not be a Custom Asteroids release until I can get back to full-time modding.

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback (and your hard work), please take your time and I look forward to the update!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 11:39 PM, Starstrider42 said:

Hey, take your time.  And if you never get back to this, that's OK.  It brightened my day for as long as it lasted.  Maybe it will again, maybe not.  Either way, thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2014 at 0:07 AM, Starstrider42 said:

Last Release-May 7, 2016-red.svg   Custom-Asteroids.svg?label=Version   KSP-1.1.0--1.1.3-orange.svg   CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg   Custom-Asteroids.svg

Tired of asteroids hitting Kerbin every other month? Bored with your 10th identical playthrough of an asteroid redirect mission? Want bigger Δv challenges?

Custom Asteroids is a rework of the stock asteroid system. Just install the mod, load up a save game, and any newly spawned asteroids will appear in locations around the solar system, including an asteroid belt, a more varied near-Kerbin asteroid population, and cometary orbits (ice and tails not supported at present, sorry). No in-game configuration necessary once the included asteroid packs are installed, although nearly everything can be configured.

l93kdHe.png

Latest versions

KSP 1.1.2-1.1.3: Version 1.3.1 (SpaceDock) (Curse) (Github)

KSP 1.1.0-1.1.1: Version 1.3.1 (Github)

KSP 1.0*: Version 1.2.0 (SpaceDock) (Curse) (Github)

*No longer supported.

Custom Asteroids is available under the MIT license. Source code hosted by Github. Please report bugs on the issue tracker, and include the mod version, the KSP version, whether it's 32- or 64-bit, and your operating system.

Public documentation, including both user's guide and public mod API. User's guide also included in the download in .md (plain-text) format.

Optional Asteroid Packs

I am happy to take config file submissions to go with popular solar system mods.

Easy-to-reach belts around KSP 64k planets by @Sandworm

Features

• (Optional) new spawn system that lets asteroids appear gradually over time, instead of any time there are no untracked asteroids. For players who prefer the stock spawner, set Spawner = Stock in the options file.
  • Modular config files let you pick and choose asteroid packs, or write your own.
  • Asteroids may appear in any number of groups, including planet intercept trajectories. All orbital elements and spawn rates are customizable. Asteroids may even be placed around planets or moons.
  • Asteroids come in five classes: Stony, Metallic, Carbonaceous, Icy-Organic, and Comet. Different classes have different resource content (need 3rd-party mods to take advantage) and different science flavor text.
  • Supports update monitoring through KSP-AVC and CKAN.

Planned Features

• Distinct models/textures for each asteroid class.
  • Control of asteroid size per group.
  • An asteroid discovery API for 3rd party modders (e.g., telescope mods).

Known Issues

• There is currently no way to determine the asteroid class from the tracking station or during approach, though it will be displayed in the right-click menu once you're attached.
  • Does not interact with Kopernicus or Asteroid Day -- if you install CA and one (or both) of the other mods, you'll have two (or three) completely independent asteroid systems.

Credits

Custom Asteroids started with some proof-of-concept code by xEvilReeperx for placing asteroids in specific orbits. I am eternally grateful for their help, as otherwise this mod would not exist. Many thanks to Thomas P. for improving the original method.

Custom Asteroids was inspired by Trueborn's Custom Biomes and rbray89's Visual Enhancements, and follows a similar "customize everything" philosophy. While Custom Biomes is now defunct, I still recommend Visual Enhancements. :D

wonderful, just what ive been looking for

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've returned, bearing gifts! ... or at least peace offerings. :blush:

My KSP hiatus took a bit longer than intended, but I finally managed to track down all the stuff that KSP 1.2 broke. Custom Asteroids 1.4 is now available from GitHub, KerbalStuff, Curseforge, or CKAN. This version doesn't have fixes for the new issues posted on this thread over the last few months, though I hope I'll be able to get to them and release version 1.4.1 within the next few weeks.

Fancy new features will happen if and when time permits. In particular, I'm shelving plans to give carbonaceous/metallic/icy asteroids their own textures indefinitely -- my attempts to get that working took up months of dev time last year with no results to show for it. :( I may revisit textures when I run out of features that have actually been requested.

Edited by Starstrider42

6 hours ago, Starstrider42 said:

I've returned, bearing gifts!

Hallelujah! Thx alot! :)

Only two quick questions:

1) Any plans for adding custom huge, enormous and even colossal sized asteroids models like in good old Asteroids mod:

pVmYHBz.png

2) Lets say my custom Kerbin is inclined 45 degrees. Is it right, that I need to correct config for near-Kerbin asteroids like this?

inclination
		{
			avg = 45
		}

Edited by ZobrAA

8 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

Hallelujah! Thx alot! :)

Only two quick questions:

1) Any plans for adding custom huge, enormous and even colossal sized asteroids models like in good old Asteroids mod:

2) Lets say my custom Kerbin is inclined 45 degrees. Is it right, that I need to correct config for near-Kerbin asteroids like this?

inclination
		{
			avg = 45
		}

1) As I mentioned above, I'm giving up on messing with asteroid mesh generation for the moment. If you mean hand-made models, then no, I'm not planning to do it (I know nothing about part modelling), but you can get the same effect by creating an asteroid part that has whatever model you like, then registering it in an asteroidTypes block. Only problem with that approach is that such an asteroid would ignore the A-E size class, and that can be worked around once asteroid groups let you specify their size distribution.

2) No, that will create a population of asteroids with lots of high-inclination orbits, but not aligned with Kerbin's orbital plane. You want to use CustomAsteroidPlanes for that; you can find an example in my old RSS config. If you set defaultRef, you won't need to make any changes to individual asteroid sets.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.4.1 is up. This patch improves exception messages for bad configs in response to @Geschosskopf's and @strideknight's bug reports. Messages will show the problematic input or orbital element, wherever possible, and will always give the name of the asteroid group that caused the error.

As always, get it from SpaceDock, Curse, Github, or CKAN.

• 1 month later...
On 7.10.2016 at 7:19 AM, SilverlightPony said:

Bug encountered!

I've just run into the same error. Is it possible that the outer stock system data is simply not compatible with OPM? After all, both mods modify the same region of space and OPM adds its own asteroids there.

Yes, that asteroid pack is incompatible with OPM and pretty much any other mod that adds planets beyond Jool. I and at least one other player submitted an OPM-compatible version to CaptRobau, but it doesn't look like they're planning to include either.

Thanks for clearing up that bug report; now that you've told me OPM needs to be installed I can reproduce it. Unfortunately, since I'm pretty sure I have my conflicts statement set up correctly, the "unhandled exception error with unrelated mod" bit seems to be a bug in CKAN itself. You might take it up with them.

Edited by Starstrider42

this played well with the Kopernicus spawner in KSP v1.1.3 but now under v1.2.2 I can't get any ARM asteroids to spawn from Kopernicus while this is also installed. Tested on a new save with just Haystack Continued, OPM, Custom Asteroid and Kopernicus installed

On 4/16/2017 at 6:32 PM, Drew Kerman said:

this played well with the Kopernicus spawner in KSP v1.1.3 but now under v1.2.2 I can't get any ARM asteroids to spawn from Kopernicus while this is also installed. Tested on a new save with just Haystack Continued, OPM, Custom Asteroid and Kopernicus installed

Sorry, I can't reproduce this. I get a swarm of Kerbin-crossing asteroids when I start a new sandbox game on KSP 1.2.2 with Kopernicus 1.2.2-5, OPM 2.1, Custom Asteroids 1.4.1, Haystack Continued 0.5.2.1, and their various dependencies. Do you get any specific errors in the log?

8 hours ago, Starstrider42 said:

Sorry, I can't reproduce this. I get a swarm of Kerbin-crossing asteroids when I start a new sandbox game on KSP 1.2.2 with Kopernicus 1.2.2-5, OPM 2.1, Custom Asteroids 1.4.1, Haystack Continued 0.5.2.1, and their various dependencies. Do you get any specific errors in the log?

ok - I see what's happening now. I use a much slower spawn rate than the config that ships with Kopernicus, so by the time any chance of asteroids are due to spawn via my config, Custom Asteroids has already spawned enough untracked objects to exceed the limits placed on the max number in the Kopernicus config. It makes sense now, but originally I was thinking the max count for asteroids spawned by Kopernicus was going by its own counter, not the actual untracked objects count in the game itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I got RSS and I got GameData\RealSolarSystem\Compatibility\CustomAsteroids.cfg but as soon as the SPC is reached it says "Could not find any asteroid data in GameData" or so...

Edit:

Ah!

In the latest RSS release was not the same (newer) file as in https://github.com/Starstrider42/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/Compatibility/CustomAsteroids.cfg

I will test it with that one...

Edited by Gordon Dry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.