• Asteroidal Resources
    • Asteroid Utilities
    • Asteroid Repurpose Systems
    • Asteroid Recycling Technologies
    • Asteroid Harvesting Tools
    • Asteroid Utilization Pack
    • Mineable Asteroids
    • Asteroid Kerbalization System

Does this require any mods? It looks to be independent from the rest of the impossible-to-install-because-it's-way-too-much USI mods...

I don't understand... Roverdude's install profile is flawless... unzip, merge gamedata, done.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, you may have been talking about dependencies. The problem there is that MKS (the primary USI mod) isn't really dependent on anything any more. You can use all of the parts completely stand-alone, they just lose 50% of their usefulness (they're still awesome base components).

Edited by PaladinVito

I've been thinking about this mod a bunch lately because I really want to do more stuff with asteroids, but the whole concept of hollowing out an asteroid strikes me as just a little too far-fetched. I definitely want asteroids to be mineable, and it'd be cool if mining operations had an effect on asteroid mass. But I've been thinking lately that maybe it might be more interesting if there was a mineable resource that wasn't about fuel. Perhaps maybe more of a mineable power source or even a catalyst resource? Certainly platinum is fairly abundant on asteroids and has been a recent area of inquiry in the real world. I'd love to see Klatinum used as a katalyst in some kind of reaction. :D

I've been thinking about this mod a bunch lately because I really want to do more stuff with asteroids, but the whole concept of hollowing out an asteroid strikes me as just a little too far-fetched. I definitely want asteroids to be mineable, and it'd be cool if mining operations had an effect on asteroid mass. But I've been thinking lately that maybe it might be more interesting if there was a mineable resource that wasn't about fuel. Perhaps maybe more of a mineable power source or even a catalyst resource? Certainly platinum is fairly abundant on asteroids and has been a recent area of inquiry in the real world. I'd love to see Klatinum used as a katalyst in some kind of reaction. :D

I have a more advanced mining mod on the roadmap - but no more K resources ;) Karborundum was the last :P That being said, looking at the Squad resource roadmap that was abandoned and considering bringing some of those in.

I have a more advanced mining mod on the roadmap - but no more K resources ;) Karborundum was the last :P That being said, looking at the Squad resource roadmap that was abandoned and considering bringing some of those in.

Awesome. Yeah, anything that makes mining more interesting than just bonus dV.

Is it possible for the JAW to continue working when the vessel is inactive? I've been wanting to use this in conjunction with Karbonite to build up a fuel reserve in orbit while working on other projects, but every time I come back to the asteroid the JAW is off.

Same problem here...

(and watching a class E asteroid being hollowed by a single JAW is pretty boring)

So I have a hollowed out asteroid with karbonite, Liquid fuel, and Oxidizer tanks. Creating karbonite just fine, but the converter to the fuel seems to be venting into space instead of filling the tanks. Do I need fuel lines?

So I have a hollowed out asteroid with karbonite, Liquid fuel, and Oxidizer tanks. Creating karbonite just fine, but the converter to the fuel seems to be venting into space instead of filling the tanks. Do I need fuel lines?

Need more specificity - what do you mean venting?

Karbonite goes in, nothing comes out. The setup I had was Jaw -> Karbonite Extractor -> Karbonite converter. Should I have put at least one L/Ox tank on that unit or should the converter send it anywhere on the asteroid?

Karbonite goes in, nothing comes out. The setup I had was Jaw -> Karbonite Extractor -> Karbonite converter. Should I have put at least one L/Ox tank on that unit or should the converter send it anywhere on the asteroid?

Yeah, I had this problem as well, end solution is just run a fuel line from the tank you want filled to the converter. Alternatively, put in an inline L/Ox tank.

i can't seem to be able to download from the two links

What's happening when you try?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I had this problem as well, end solution is just run a fuel line from the tank you want filled to the converter. Alternatively, put in an inline L/Ox tank.

Aha.. yes, fuel line issues

Something that might make your life just a little bit easier. In the CFG of the FuelHatch, under the FStextureSwitch2 module, if you add the line:

textureRootFolder = ART/FuelHatch/

This would allow you to lay out the texture names in an easier fashion like so:

textureNames = Ka;LF;OX;XE

This doesn't actually change the way anything works, just makes it easier to work with in case you change folder location etc.

Something that might make your life just a little bit easier. In the CFG of the FuelHatch, under the FStextureSwitch2 module, if you add the line:

textureRootFolder = ART/FuelHatch/

This would allow you to lay out the texture names in an easier fashion like so:

textureNames = Ka;LF;OX;XE

This doesn't actually change the way anything works, just makes it easier to work with in case you change folder location etc.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how to do this on the asteroid itself? Just put converters on both the Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer Fuel Hatches?

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how to do this on the asteroid itself? Just put converters on both the Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer Fuel Hatches?

Yeah, that would do it.

My testing setup had rock containers and karbonite tanks radially attached, and a karbonite extractor on top. The fuel tank for conversion was a normal one that was attached radially. The distiller would only put the karbonite into the fuel tank when attached inline ( I didn't bother with the fuel line, it should produce the same result)

Here is my a picture of it:

uLPXL5O.png

oh please please please let this end up being called the Asteroid Kerbalization system :D I want everything to just be the _ Kerbalization System. I am a Kerbalization System :P

If it comes in second, it should totally be called Asteroid Recycling Technologies: An Asteroid Kerbalization System.

Compromise!!!!

oh please please please let this end up being called the Asteroid Kerbalization system :D I want everything to just be the _ Kerbalization System. I am a Kerbalization System :P

If it comes in second, it should totally be called Asteroid Recycling Technologies: An Asteroid Kerbalization System.

Compromise!!!!

Hey, easy...

Voting is a pretty fair way to let people pick a name.

If you don't like it, you can (if license allows it) rename it for own non-commercial purposes.

Hey, easy...

Voting is a pretty fair way to let people pick a name.

If you don't like it, you can (if license allows it) rename it for own non-commercial purposes.

I forgot to insert my "says with hands clasped, eyes closed, and praying to the ground". I suppose my internet voice came across as demanding when it was meant to be silent pleading to myself. Just imagine it like praying to a non-specific diety, although I understand it's too late now :)