[1.12.*] GingerCorp Stock-alike Station Hubs v1.4.1

Starwaster

Here's a couple of stock-alike station hubs. These are stylistically derived from the stock six port station hub. However, these two have three and six side ports instead of four.

Good for building alien themed stations. 

Now with GingerCorp as a contract dispensing entity!

Download: https://github.com/Starwaster/Stockalike-Station-Hubs/releases/

If you find this mod helpful and want to throw some money away, feel free to click the donate button below!

btn_donate_LG.gif

Demonstration Screenshots

Spoiler

YpTbN8g.pngdmjlGyY.png

HJv5agr.pngP7mmH3o.png

88x31.png

GingerCorp Stock-Alike by Starwaster is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by Starwaster
Inserted images in spoiler box

Change Log

1.0.0 - Release!

1.0.1 - TweakScale configs added (unreleased version)

1.0.2 - Connected Living Space configs added.

1.1.0 - GingerCorp added as contract dispensing agency.

Edited by Starwaster

How the... What did.... Why does.... The multiple nodes work? D:

But of course they do! I'm not even sure attachment nodes have a limit as to quantity. Practical limitations perhaps but as far as I know you can have as many as you want. (at least up to maxint....)

And they can have any orientation you want too just as long as you define the normal correctly.

The only hard part, if such there was, was that the five port hub unexpectedly flipped 180 degrees on its Y axis. Actually, for all I know, so have the other models I've done. Except that they were symmetrical so escaped my notice. I had to reverse the position of the nodes on that one. I have no idea why it did that unless it's a side effect of me using XSI / Softimage / Mod Tool / whatever-the-hell-they-call-it-these-days.

Edited by Starwaster

Teach me master. I suck at multiple node configs like that.

Well there's not really a whole lot to teach. They're stack nodes by virtue of not being attach nodes, of which you can have only one. (i.e. node_attach, not to be confused with the generalized term 'attach node')

They always begin with 'node_stack_' and whatever name you chose for them, except that I think the game has special cases for nodes named top/bottom, so you should probably respect that and name your top and bottom nodes node_stack_top / node_stack_bottom.

So, let's start with node_stack_side1

node_stack_side1 = 0.475, 0, 0.8227, 0.500011, 0.0, 0.866019, 1

First three three numbers are the coordinates for the node and are where a part will physically end up when attached.

Second set of three numbers can be treated as a surface normal, except that they indicate which direction the part you are attaching to this node will face. For attach nodes that are situated exactly along the X, Y and Z axes, it's easy to figure out the normal. In the case of node_stack_side0, this node points away along the X

node_stack_side0 = -0.9325, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1

However, node_stack_side1 is different. It points at a diagonal on two axes. Treat the first three digits as a vector and normalize it. If you're not sure how to normalize a vector, visit www.wolframalpha.com and input the first three numbers (the coordinates of the node, which we take to be a vector pointing away from 0, 0, 0) and Wolfram will spit out some information about those numbers, including treating it as a vector to be normalized. Here, I've input the coordinates for node_stack_side1: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.475%2C+0%2C+0.8227

Scroll down the page a short ways and you will find the normalized vector of: 0.500011, 0., 0.866019 which is what we'll use for the next three digits as indicated above.

The seventh digit is the size of the node and controls how easy it is to snap to that node. If something you're attaching has one of its nodes inside the first part's attachment node it will snap. Large nodes make it hard to snap when you have numerous very small nodes to choose from on the part to be attached. However, large nodes also control connection strength and the greater the size (up to size three) the more additional connection joints are created. (these are invisible and reduce wobbling in 0.23.5+)

node_stack_side0 = -0.9325, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1
node_stack_side2 = 0.475, 0, -0.8227, 0.500011, 0.0, -0.866019, 1

Right above the album! It uh... was there all along and you just didn't see it.

I totally did not forget the download and totally did not hurriedly edit the post to fix it.... :blush:

Hmmm.... Sounds legit... :wink:

Nice! I love these shapes!

Maybe ... some people would love to build a really bad-ass station ... DS9 or something. There might be a market for 2,5 and 3,75 parts ;-)

Edited by Azimech

Nice! I love these shapes!

Maybe ... some people would love to build a really bad-ass station ... DS9 or something. There might be a market for 2,5 and 3,75 parts ;-)

That could be done as a rescale easy enough, or maybe incorporating support for other mods that resize parts (to avoid part bloat)

but I was also thinking of similar parts to these but with the top and bottom nodes scaled up to twice the diameter of the side ports. So two 2.5m top / bottom and the six side connections stay at 1.25. That would change the overall geometry quite a bit...

Hi,

for faster Station construction I added stackSymmetry to the cfg files.

stationhub5.cfg -> stackSymmetry = 2

stationhub8.cfg -> stackSymmetry = 5

ah, I'll put that in then.... next time I update them

If you use the TweakScale Mod you can scale the parts if you put a new file "GingerCorp_TweakScale.cfg" into the "GameData\TweakScale\" directory with the following code:

@PART[SW.StationHub.*]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
defaultScale = 1.25
}
}

This enables you to scale the parts from 0.625 to 5m! :cool:

Edited by Kolago

• 4 weeks later...

Connected Living Space support. Add it to a new text file and save it somewhere in your GameData folder with a *.cfg extension.

Alternatively the MODULE tag can be added to the part's config file. It would be nice to see this included in the release.

@PART[SW.StationHub.5]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]] 
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
passable = true
}
}
@PART[SW.StationHub.8]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

Connected Living Space support. Add it to a new text file and save it somewhere in your GameData folder with a *.cfg extension.

Alternatively the MODULE tag can be added to the part's config file. It would be nice to see this included in the release.

@PART[SW.StationHub.5]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]] 
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[SW.StationHub.8]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

Looks good, I'll probably do that, and the TweakScale config too. (unless I already did that... creeping senility...)

Minor update: support for Tweak Scale and Connected Living Space.

For now, this is in the form of Module Manager configs in the mod's folder.

No new parts in this update as I'm currently stuck on an old Macbook with no 3D modeling on it and KSP runs lousy on it so it's hard to test things. (planned are new versions of the existing hubs but with 2.5m vertical cores; as soon as I have a PC to work on)

Edited by Starwaster
release update

Minor update: support for Tweak Scale and Connected Living Space.

For now, this is in the form of Module Manager configs in the mod's folder.

No new parts in this update as I'm currently stuck on an old Macbook with no 3D modeling on it and KSP runs lousy on it so it's hard to test things. (planned are new versions of the existing hubs but with 2.5m vertical cores; as soon as I have a PC to work on)

Yay! Thank you much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.