[DEV][0.24.x][Jul 24] SCANsat v7.0rc4 -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed!

[TABLE=width: 740]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=width: 640]

[TR]

[TD]The Scientific Committee on Advanced Navigation proudly presents:

SCANsat [v7.0rc4]*

* development version

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 460, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]<RELEASE

[v6.0]

[/TD]

[TD]DOWNLOAD

[ZIP FILE]@GitHub

[/TD]

[TD]SOURCE

@GitHub[/TD]

[TD]LICENSE

[BSDv2][/TD]

[TD]DOCS

@GitHub[/TD]

[TD]ISSUES

@GitHub[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD]GArPFFB.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This part-containing add-on allows you to scan the surfaces of planetary bodies to produce various kinds of maps and mine relatively small amounts of sweet, juicy, 110% fresh-squeezed science (in career mode).

CHANGES

Version 7.0rc4 2014-07-24 (accepting patches)

• Update for KSP 0.24.1
  • [Compared to v7.0rc2 or v6.0]:
    • Folder structure significantly changed;
    • you must delete any old SCANsat installations (you will not lose data)

[*]Fix RPM issues when SCANsat module is not properly attached to IVA part; #63

[*]MapTraq now deprecated

• The part still exists but cannot be accessed from the editor

[*]Background scanning active during Space Center and Tracking Station scenes

• Background scanning no longer requires active SCANsat part during Flight scene

[*]Added Karbonite support

[*]Science can be gathered from planets with no surface

• Reduced science return for planets with no terrain or no biomes

Version 7.0rc3 2014-07-18 (accepting patches)

[LIST]
[*][B]Updated for KSP v 0.24[/B]
[*]- Folder structure significantly changed; [B]you must delete any old SCANsat installations[/B] (you will not lose data)
[*]SCANsatRPM integrated into standard SCANsat
[LIST]
[*][B]You must delete any SCANsatRPM folders[/B]; do not install SCANsatRPM from any source
[/LIST]

[*]Updated to support Kethane 0.8.8
[*]Modular Kolonization Module Manager configs removed; these are handled on the MKS side now.
[*]Many internal changes, mostly for developers
[*]ModStatistics updated to 1.0.3
[/LIST]

Version 7.0rc3 2014-07-18 (accepting patches)
[LIST]
[*][B]Updated for KSP v 0.24[/B]
[*]- Folder structure significantly changed; [B]you must delete any old SCANsat installations[/B] (you will not lose data)
[*]SCANsatRPM integrated into standard SCANsat
[LIST]
[*][B]You must delete any SCANsatRPM folders[/B]; do not install SCANsatRPM from any source
[/LIST]

[*]Updated to support Kethane 0.8.8
[*]Modular Kolonization Module Manager configs removed; these are handled on the MKS side now.
[*]Many internal changes, mostly for developers
[*]ModStatistics updated to 1.0.3
[/LIST]
Version 7.0rc2.5 - 2014-06-29 (accepting patches)

[LIST]
[*]Folder structure changed. [B]Delete any old SCANsat installations and replace with this version.[/B]
[*] Updated for RasterPropMonitor v0.17
[LIST]
[*][B]Must copy over SCANsatRPM folder from RPM package[/B]
[/LIST]

[*]Fixed bug with map caching
[*]Fixed bug with small map opening on exiting timewarp with non-toolbar version
[*]Active scanners will start already deployed instead of playing the animation on startup
[*]Internal version number and version logging changes
[/LIST]

Version 7.0rc2.4 - 2014-06-17 (accepting patches)
----------------------------------------------
+ [COLOR=#333333]A SCANsat flag is included, thanks K3|Chris and the [/COLOR][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NROL-39"]NRO[/URL][COLOR=#333333] for the SCANsat logo and [/COLOR][URL="https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/issues/37"]DuoDex[/URL][COLOR=#333333] for the flag texture.[/COLOR]
+ Added altitude indicators in right click (context) menu.
+ Added warning when .dlls are not in the correct location.
+ Added warning when wrong Kethane version is used.
+ Added version number in window title.
[B]+ Added [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81764-ModStatistics-1-0-2-Anonymous-mod-usage-statistics-Now-for-public-distribution%21"]ModStatistics[/URL].[/B]
+ Internal changes involving caching changing planetary bodies.

Version 7.0rc2.3 - 2014-06-11 (accepting patches)
+ Added support for Modular Kolonization System resources, both Kethane-type and ORS-type
+ [B][REQUIRED][/B] Updated to support Kethane 8.6. Older versions may not work!
+ All scanable resource types are shown, regardless of whether they are actually present on the current planet

Version 7.0rc2.1 - 2014-06-03 (accepting patches)
+ added support for Modular Kolonization System resources
+ added support for KEEZO
+ some minor bug fixes
Version 7.0rc1 - 2014-05-20 (accepting patches)
+ added support for resources from Kethane and ORS [DMagic]
+ Big map should no longer break if no ORS resources are installed
+ Switching from a high-number ORS resource to Kethane should not break the big map
+ Incomplete big map should render properly
+ Spottiness of resource scanners may be improved, it's hard to say, maybe ok up to 100-1000X timewarp
+ Setting menu buttons don't change color anymore

KNOWN ISSUES

• [iNCOMPLETE] v7.0rc0 does not include scanners with the ORS or Kethane scanning functionality, yet. Use the included ModuleManager configs to try them out.
  • [bUG] v6.0 includes Big Map Caching. Sometimes it is necessary to resize the big map (click the [//] button and drag a little bit) to reset the cache.

ModuleManager Recipies

• Add MapTraq to all pods/probes

• @PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
      {
      MODULE
      {
      name = SCANsat
      sensorType = 0
      fov = 0
      min_alt = 0
      max_alt = 0
      best_alt = 0
      power = 0.05
      }
      }

[*]ORS Uranium/Thorium/Alumina Scanner

• {

MODULE
      {
      name = SCANsat
      sensorType = 64
      resourceType = 21
      fov = 10
      min_alt = 5000
      max_alt = 500000
      best_alt = 100000
      scanName = Uranium Scan
      power = 0.4
      }

MODULE
      {
      name = SCANsat
      sensorType = 64
      resourceType = 22
      fov = 10
      min_alt = 5000
      max_alt = 500000
      best_alt = 100000
      scanName = Thorium Scan
      power = 0.4
      }

MODULE
      {
      name = SCANsat
      sensorType = 64
      resourceType = 23
      fov = 10
      min_alt = 5000
      max_alt = 500000
      best_alt = 100000
      scanName = Alumina Scan
      power = 0.4
      }

}
      @PART[sensorGammaRaySpectrometer]

GameData Mod Layout

[TABLE=width: 800]

[TR]

[TD]

• GameData
    • 000_Toolbar\
    • JSI\
    • MechJeb2\

• MechJeb2RPM\
    • SCANsat\
    • ModuleManager.2.x.x.dll

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

required for SCANsat in IVA glass cockpit, but otherwise optional. SCANsatRPM will not be loaded if it is not needed, so it is safe to install in either case.

required for MechJeb in IVA glass cockpit. Currently, SCANsat does not interact with MechJeb but this may change in the future.

†
optional; required for adding SCANsat functionality to existing parts/pods/vessels/etc.

FAQ

• What does SCANsat do?
    • It allows you to scan and generate various kinds of maps (currently: low- and high-resolution altimetry, and a biome map) for each planetary body.

[*]How does SCANsat affect gameplay?

• It allows you to see surface details from orbit from an interactive, zoom-able map. This will help you plan your missions (for example, landing near a divider between two or three biomes) and provide critical information you need to attempt a safe landing (for instance, the slope map will help you avoid treacherous hills)

[*]Do I need to attach a part to my vessel to use SCANsat?

Currently, yes. You should attach at least one SCANsat part to each vessel (use the MapTraq part to view only without scanning).

In the future, we may use ModuleManager to add scanning to all cockpits and probe cores (and you can easily do this yourself, now).

[*][Career Mode] Does SCANsat give us science points?

Yes! For each type of map, if you scan at least 30% of the surface, you can yse Data for partial science points; up until the maximum value at 95% map coverage.

[*][Career Mode] Is it integrated into the tech tree?

• This link tells you which nodes unlock which parts in the tech tree.
Yes!

[*] Can you add <some feature or change> to SCANsat?

• issues page to see if it's already been requested. If not, add a new issue. Even better, attempt to add the feature yourself and submit a pull request. We'll catch the bugs for you!
Probably! First, check the

INSTALLATION

1. Download using the above download link.
  2. Place the SCANsat and SCANsatRPM folders in your Kerbal Space Program\GameData folder.
  3. [OPTIONAL] If you want to use the toolbar (you do!), download and install blizzy's Toolbar.
  4. [OPTIONAL] If you want to IVA w/ SCANsat (you do!) , downoad and install RasterPropMonitor.
  5. Read the documentation or look at all of the pictures below to figure it out!

UPCOMING FEATURES

Javascript is disabled. View full album

GETTING STARTED

PARTS

VAB Descriptions

Animations and BTDT Usage

Small Map

Big Map

Features and Overlays

Animated Examples

IVA maps with RPM

Settings

Edited by technogeeky
update for 0.24.x

I read your post in Nibbler's voice.

<3

Nibbler: "I did not come back in time. My people lack that ability."

Fry: "But... I know you in the future. I cleaned your poop!"

Nibbler: "Quite possible. We live long and are celebrated poopers!"

[audio]

Ver 7 not ready ? download links bad.

Not yet. I know. You caught me in the middle of setting it up. :)

But in my defense, it shows that there are no changes for v7.0 yet, so there is no reason to build it (yet).

It should be noted that this version is only intended for testing right now.

Everything is mostly stable, but there have been some changes to the way data is stored in the persistent file and upgrading from an old version, or downgrading from this version to v6 may cause problems.

Only use this on a new save file or a file that you've backed up.

Also, there are a few things to keep in mind about the resource overlays. Most importantly, Kethane resources are not currently supported. The options are all there in the UI, and selecting them should not hurt anything, but none of them work. The earlier images were all proof-of-concept demonstrations. The release version will need have a workaround for the dependency issue (which I'm working on now) as well as some way of getting around the performance issues.

The Open Resources System (ORS) support is mostly working. There are some issues with the scanners having spotty coverage (which goes away once you get a complete, or near-complete map) and they all use a generic pink color, but otherwise they work fine and there is essentially no performance impact for turning the overlay on and off.

The primary issue with ORS scanners is that the parts themselves need to have custom SCANsat modules attached to them. I've been doing it manually, but a MM config would be best. I'll try to release some guidelines at least for how to properly create the part modules. The default Interstellar scanner has all three scanner modules on it, so adding three more SCANsat modules is going to make things very clunky, but that's really an Interstellar issue.

Edited by DMagic

If you want to add support for the Interstellar planetary resources you need to add these modules to the Gamma Ray Spectrometer part.cfg file.

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 21
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Uranium Scan
power = 0.4
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 22
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Thorium Scan
power = 0.4
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 23
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Alumina Scan
power = 0.4
}

If someone wants to make a Module Manager config file for that it would be great. I don't have much experience with MM configs, so I don't want to do it myself.

And once again, use all of this at your own risk...

@PART[sensorGammaRaySpectrometer]
{

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 21
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Uranium Scan
power = 0.4
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 22
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Thorium Scan
power = 0.4
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 23
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Alumina Scan
power = 0.4
}

}

That should do it.

Edit: License: Do with that whatever you wish. :)

Edited by Tessai
License

Hay techno? Have you thought about making all stock antennas, haveing a maptrac function? Just so you could view maps with out haveing to use the actual maptrac part. It's a bit bulky...

Ps I have already used MM to do said function i just figured it made sense:)

Hay techno? Have you thought about making all stock antennas, haveing a maptrac function? Just so you could view maps with out haveing to use the actual maptrac part. It's a bit bulky...

Ps I have already used MM to do said function i just figured it made sense:)

I have thought about adding it to:

• all command pods and capsules
  • all probe cores

Until now, I hadn't thought to add it to antennas.

Clearly we have some executive decision-making to do.

If anyone needs/wants the MapTraq functionality for all command pods/probes here's the MM config.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 0
fov = 0
min_alt = 0
max_alt = 0
best_alt = 0
power = 0.05
}
}

Not Mine! I don't remember where I got it.

Probe cores and command pods make sense, as they (should) inherently have the computing power analyze the sensor data to build a map, or read a map already built.

Antennas don't have the ability to do more than send and receive com signals. All the actual processing power is performed in the pod.

I think that the MapTraq function should be include-able in pods and probes, because after all, it's just a glorified GPS receiver, but a dedicated scanner part should still be required to build the map.

Or capitalize on the weekly part contest and have someone build a part thats a bit smaller or looks more fitting than the current placeholder model.

i cant get resources to show up

Your scanner doesn't have the SCANsat modules attached to it (or at least they aren't loading properly). See the posts above about adding it manually or using a MM config.

Your scanner doesn't have the SCANsat modules attached to it (or at least they aren't loading properly). See the posts above about adding it manually or using a MM config.

Yep your right i had added the mm config but forgot to reload ksp lol i blame the fact its almost 3am here..THANKS

Hello folks, I'm following this thread with earnest interest, but I'm getting a bit confused - as I understand it, the goal with this update is to allow scansat to detect resource maps for ORS and kethane using scansat scanning logic as opposed to the scanners in the other mods, thereby allowing background scanning and scansat map overlay integration.

ORS is currently mostly working, but since kethane has a bunch of extra logic for its hexes, that's more complicated...

The updates made it sound like the primary hang up was just getting the hex grid overlay working, which seems to imply that kethane scanning is expected to function with module manager tweaks, but that there is no scansat overlay for it yet, which just sounds too good to be true.

How wrong am I?

Hello folks, I'm following this thread with earnest interest, but I'm getting a bit confused - as I understand it, the goal with this update is to allow scansat to detect resource maps for ORS and kethane using scansat scanning logic as opposed to the scanners in the other mods, thereby allowing background scanning and scansat map overlay integration.

ORS is currently mostly working, but since kethane has a bunch of extra logic for its hexes, that's more complicated...

The updates made it sound like the primary hang up was just getting the hex grid overlay working, which seems to imply that kethane scanning is expected to function with module manager tweaks, but that there is no scansat overlay for it yet, which just sounds too good to be true.

How wrong am I?

1. We don't know what the goal is, except to make SCANsat as useful as possible.
  2. We do not yet know if the best solution will be to add scanners of our own, or to use existing scanners and just provide mapping functionality. It is true that background scanning will be possible if we add our own scanners, but it's also true that we could support background scanning in another way.
  3. In one sense, a grid of hexes is mathematically easier to treat. In another sense (Kethane has state), it's harder. Either way, it may be possible to do an approximation and ignore the hex-nature of Kethane.
  4. Kethane scanning is in the works; but I don't think the rc0 dev build includes it (since I didn't ship the appropriate .dlls).

I'll allow you to determine your level of wrongness. DMagic can supplement this by determining my level of wrongness.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.