[DEV][0.24.x][Jul 24] SCANsat v7.0rc4 -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed!

Earlier in the thread you mentioned that you were still considering more idea's for extending SCANsat's functions, so I'll re-suggest something I put in the original SCANsat thread back when it was in the 2nd or 3rd release (if I remember right).

"Landing Zone Assistant"

Highlight "good landing zone candidate spots" based on user selected criteria. Examples would include a slope range selection (IE I would like to land on level ground, or I'll tolerate x% slope). I would like to land in a spot that is within Y number of kilometers from Z number of biomes.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea; but it also sounds slightly difficult to implement.

It would probably be easier to implement if it did this functionality but only along your current orbital track (with some significant sidelap). I guess you would want to see what landing possibilities are available for +/- 5 degrees or so inclination. But wouldn't this have to be updated along your orbit? Maybe not.

@PART[sensorGammaRaySpectrometer]
{

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 21
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Uranium Scan
power = 0.4
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 22
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Thorium Scan
power = 0.4
}

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 64
resourceType = 23
fov = 10
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Alumina Scan
power = 0.4
}

}

And how does the Kethane one look like?

I've had some success with palettes. Here is a screenshot showing the current palette on the right. I don't know why the colors there seem washed out compared to those in the legend, but they are the same colors:

QGrbNCf.png

hxcF0dy.png?1

I also changed the BigMap in two ways:

• the legend is now always above the infobox (so they don't swap when you mouseover)
  • the min. size of the BigMap is now 450 instead of 400 to make sure the resizer doesn't overlap with the buttons
  • (dev change) I added a bunch of regions in the bigmap UI to see what is going on

Edited by technogeeky

Icon`s backgrounds are gray :mad:

Else - great work! :D

Are you talking about the toolbar icons? Yes, we're aware of that. I should make a bug out of it.

If you're talking about the palette icons: I actually guessed at this to myself, but why would textures be transparent by default?

I'm looking for some guinea pigs. I'll PM anyone interested with the link.

In changing how the scanner type works some changes were necessary in how scanning data is stored and loaded from the persistent file. This requires a one-time conversion from the old method to the new method and I'm a little worried about releasing this too widely. I would like to get a few more people to test this out, ideally coming from v6 (or earlier), from v7, and starting out fresh. Any resource scanning that you have from earlier releases of v7 will be lost :sticktongue:, but regular SCANsat data should be recovered.

This release also implements Kethane resource scanning (Kethane and Ore, from Extraplanetary Launchpads, for now), so I would also like some feedback from users with and without Kethane installed.

The package includes the updated SCANsat.dll file, the SCANsatKethane.dll (necessary for all Kethane scanning), the OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0.dll (which must be included somewhere in your GameData folder), and four Module Manager configs. These include scanners for the two default Kethane sensors, EPL's ore magnetometer, all three KSPI resource scanner modules, and the Modular Kolonization System scanners (ORS-type only, I'm not sure what the story on continued Kethane support for these resources is).

The MM configs aren't necessary for displaying existing Kethane data on a SCANsat map, but they are necessary for all background scanning and for any kind of scanning with ORS resources. The Kethane grid doesn't update nicely after background scanning. You have to push the "Rebuild Kethane" button on the big map, then either save/load, cycle the grid on/off from the map view, or maybe just wait a while for the grid to update.

Let me know if anyone runs into any bugs, especially as concerns recovering old scanning data and any problems when playing without Kethane installed.

In changing how the scanner type works some changes were necessary in how scanning data is stored and loaded from the persistent file. This requires a one-time conversion from the old method to the new method and I'm a little worried about releasing this too widely. I would like to get a few more people to test this out, ideally coming from v6 (or earlier), from v7, and starting out fresh. Any resource scanning that you have from earlier releases of v7 will be lost :sticktongue:, but regular SCANsat data should be recovered.

This release also implements Kethane resource scanning (Kethane and Ore, from Extraplanetary Launchpads, for now), so I would also like some feedback from users with and without Kethane installed.

The package includes the updated SCANsat.dll file, the SCANsatKethane.dll (necessary for all Kethane scanning), the OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0.dll (which must be included somewhere in your GameData folder), and four Module Manager configs. These include scanners for the two default Kethane sensors, EPL's ore magnetometer, all three KSPI resource scanner modules, and the Modular Kolonization System scanners (ORS-type only, I'm not sure what the story on continued Kethane support for these resources is).

The MM configs aren't necessary for displaying existing Kethane data on a SCANsat map, but they are necessary for all background scanning and for any kind of scanning with ORS resources. The Kethane grid doesn't update nicely after background scanning. You have to push the "Rebuild Kethane" button on the big map, then either save/load, cycle the grid on/off from the map view, or maybe just wait a while for the grid to update.

Let me know if anyone runs into any bugs, especially as concerns recovering old scanning data and any problems when playing without Kethane installed.

By the way: if the process involved is reversible, then we should at least be able to insulate our users from bugs.

By which I mean: If you have the existing serialize and deserialize functions, and you write two new serialize/deserialize functions, and the each of the pairs operates on different fields, then we should always be able to recover from our bugs. And when we are sure that the new format works, we can just remove the old pair.

I think this is right. I was thinking about this in a different context: breaking up the map data into chunks. Right now, we scan one x by y sized chunk and store it as one unit. I was thinking about breaking that up into (y/6) and (x/12) sections, and storing each of those separately. If we were to do this, then we could simply store both kinds in the first release (where we take a hit in the amount of stored data by a factor slightly worse than 2 -- because compression will be less efficient) Then once we know it's bug free, we could simply stop writing the old kind.

Or something like that. I would have to prove it to myself first. :)

Good luck on finding a guinea pig. I'll be happy to try it tomorrow.

By the way: if the process involved is reversible, then we should at least be able to insulate our users from bugs.

That should be possible, just store the new data in a separate field in the scenario module. Right now I'm taking the existing data (if there is any) and passing it through a one-time conversion from a byte array to an integer array, using only one byte for each integer value. After the first time loading SCANsat data the process is switched to a method that converts between byte and integer arrays using four bytes per integer (the compression program requires that the data be in a byte array).

There's no reason why the existing data couldn't be left in place (and would never again be changed) while the new data is stored alongside it. There would still be a one-time conversion between the two methods on the first load, but this way would probably be much safer.

I'll look into it.

I'm a bit lost of how to use this. Added ORS stuff to scanner etc. However how can I see these on the map?

Selection of resources and resource types is handled through the settings menu. The overlay can then be toggled on and off using the button on the big map.

you can count me in. i would be glad to help any way i can

This all seems to be working fine. Here's the link for anyone interested: Edit: See the first post for the download link

Just overwrite the existing files in your SCANsat folder. We'll see about a proper release sometime soon. Some quick instructions are in the gallery on the first post of this thread. And it's probably a good idea to make a backup of your save file (which you should be doing anyway).

Also keep in mind that any resource scanning data from previous releases of v7 won't carry over, and you'll need to replace any Module Manager configs with those included in this package.

Edited by DMagic

This all seems to be working fine. Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www./download/oquwbccw6pn7xa1/SCANsat_v7rc2.1.zip

Just overwrite the existing files in your SCANsat folder. We'll see about a proper release sometime soon. Some quick instructions are in the gallery on the first post of this thread. And it's probably a good idea to make a backup of your save file (which you should be doing anyway).

Also keep in mind that any resource scanning data from previous releases of v7 won't carry over, and you'll need to replace any Module Manager configs with those included in this package.

Try'ed this ver. and the Analyze button don't do anything and don't show up on the MapTraq part so can get Science points now for maps ? ;.;

Edit -- Just thought to look in debug and get this [Error]: [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SCANsatAltimetryLoRes <-- changes to what one you click on but all the same.

Edited by Mecripp2

Try'ed this ver. and the Analyze button don't do anything and don't show up on the MapTraq part so can get Science points now for maps ? ;.;

Edit -- Just thought to look in debug and get this [Error]: [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SCANsatAltimetryLoRes <-- changes to what one you click on but all the same.

Does this happen with other parts, or just SCANsat parts? I've seen this happen before, though never with SCANsat parts specifically. I don't think it's caused by SCANsat, I'm pretty sure that I've seen it happen without it installed. I've always suspected it has something to do with Module Manager (that's the only thing I can think of that might be altering loaded config files like this), but I've never really been able to find out.

And the MapTraq isn't supposed to have an 'analyze' button, there's nothing for it to analyze. Only hi- and lo-resolution altimetry and the biome scanner (but not a stand-alone, regular, anomaly sensor) generate science.

I can get Science from over parts but ScanSat's and my Crew and EVA Reports are gone but, I'm trying a new Life support mod let me take it out and check.

Edit-- Wasn't the new LS mod and the ScanSat maps are not showing up on the RPM screens.

Edit2-- Put the old ScanSat back in and got the maps to come backup on the RPM but still no Crew or EVA or Scanner Science and the MapTraq did have the 'analyze' button so you could click on it and didn't have to click on all the Scanners to click the analyze button which was nice.

Edit 3 -- OK LH mod took out EVA and Crew reports

Edit 4-- ok all good but RPM maps had to start new career after taking LH out.

Edited by Mecripp2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.