[DEV][0.24.x][Jul 24] SCANsat v7.0rc4 -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed!

Chewy,

That sounds like you downloaded the source code rather than the compiled mod. There should be a GameData/ScanSat folder in the zip. Move just the ScanSat folder into your KSP/GameData after downloading the latest version (7.0rc4). Note that the SCANsat developers haven't had a chance to update it to for the forum rules changes, so there aren't any direct download links from the forums or Curse.

EDIT EDIT: Link removed.

EDIT- The link still has ( ModStatistics ) if you don't want it to run delete be installing.

EDIT- Link to ( ModStatistcs ) so you know what it does http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81764-ModStatistics-1-0-3-Anonymous-mod-usage-statistics-Now-for-public-distribution!/page26

EDIT- @Aethon yes you can.

Edited by Mecripp2
removed link

does scansat need the ORS dll in its plugins? i ask because i already have another ORS dll elsewhere in gamedata and i wanna see if removing the duplicate will stop these periodic framerate drops i keep getting

while im at it does it need scansatkethane dll when i dont use kethane?

edit- nevermind removing it didnt stop framerate drops anyway

Edited by Jagzeplin

Reposting what I posted on the release thread, since some people still haven't gotten the memo:

There are no links because SCANSat is not currently in compliance with the forum rules. technogeeky et al are working on making it compliant, but are very busy; please be patient.

In the meantime, please *don't* post links to other ways to download it, as I will have to remove them.

Reposting what I posted on the release thread, since some people still haven't gotten the memo:

There are no links because SCANSat is not currently in compliance with the forum rules. technogeeky et al are working on making it compliant, but are very busy; please be patient.

In the meantime, please *don't* post links to other ways to download it, as I will have to remove them.

The (old) latest versions on GitHub have been modified to be in spec. ModStats was removed, and the ORS includes a license.

So does this release work with 0.24.2? I'm unable to get the right-click dialogue to show up once I launch. The objects all look good in the VAB, but I noticed the right-click menu for the properties in the VAB is not showing, either. I'm wondering if it's some combination of mods I use that is incompatible. I use RemoteTech, MechJeb, KSP Interstellar, and several others... those are the ones I think could interfere, however. If more info is needed, will gladly provide.

The (old) latest versions on GitHub have been modified to be in spec. ModStats was removed, and the ORS includes a license.

Does that mean the rule compliance situation is now fixed, or there is still stuff left to do before putting it back online ?

can we map sun? i mean KerboL? wich is our sun so

can we map it?

I actually tested this once, and it is possible, it's just completely unrealistic to do it without cheating. Your altitude has to be incredibly low to scan the sun, you can't even timewarp below the 800km necessary for the SAR to work, and the DeltaV requirement to get that far down is absurd. There is also nothing to map, you'll just get static for all three map types, but you can still get science from it.

hey SCAN devs, want to point you towards this post I made in the KSPTOT/Mission Architect thread. Arrowstar computes Longitude as 0-360 degrees East of the meridian, without normalizing to (-180)-180 as SCANSat and some other mods do (VOID, Engineer). Problem is that for some bodies the Lon I'm getting for a certain point (say periapsis) in Mission Architect is not matching up with the Lon SCANSat is saying my Pe marker should be over (as well as the Lon VOID and Engineer report at the time of passing over Pe). Any ideas why sometimes these would not match up?

Update: I pointed Arrowstar to this document on KSP physics from the Tutorials forum which includes Lat/Lon calculation and his response was

Ah! So that document actually doesn't compute the longitude correctly because it assumes that inertial X is aligned with body X at t = 0. That's not the case for most KSP planets and moons. If that's what SCANSat and the others are using, then it would appear there is a flaw in their code.
Edited by Gaiiden

if anyone is having problems with SCAN not displaying maps, such as http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80661-DEV-0-24-x-Jul-24-SCANsat-v7-0rc4-Real-Scanning-Real-Science-at-Warp-Speed%21?p=1403371&viewfull=1#post1403371 then try this dll here: http://nyaanyaa.ath.cx/stuff/ksp/SCANsat.7z or rebuild scansat against the current ORS (1.4.1)

Overwrite GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.dll with the new one and replace the OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0.dll file in that folder with OpenResourceSystem_1_4_1.dll and you're good to go.

hey SCAN devs, want to point you towards this post I made in the KSPTOT/Mission Architect thread. Arrowstar computes Longitude as 0-360 degrees East of the meridian, without normalizing to (-180)-180 as SCANSat and some other mods do (VOID, Engineer). Problem is that for some bodies the Lon I'm getting for a certain point (say periapsis) in Mission Architect is not matching up with the Lon SCANSat is saying my Pe marker should be over (as well as the Lon VOID and Engineer report at the time of passing over Pe). Any ideas why sometimes these would not match up?

Update: I pointed Arrowstar to this document on KSP physics from the Tutorials forum which includes Lat/Lon calculation and his response was

So this is concerning the Periapsis or Apoapsis that SCANsat is giving you on its orbital projection overlay right?

I think I see what Arrowstar means about not taking into account a body's initial rotation, but I'll have to look into it.

I've never actually looked at how SCANsat calculates anything to do with the orbital overlay. At some point it needs to be replaced as it's a performance hog, and, apparently, doesn't quite work right. SCANsatRPM actually uses a different method for the orbit prediction, most of which was taken directly from MechJeb, so I'm curious if the orbit projections from IVA SCANsat maps match up right, or if MechJeb matches Mission Architect.

The notation is more of a style convention thing. On Earth longitude is typically given as -180 to 180o, but on other planets it's usually just 0-360 (the East or West part is determined by the direction of the planet's rotation). And KSP gives all sorts of values when you ask for longitude, so if you aren't clamping the results it gives you then you can end up with values greater than +- 360. It makes it simpler to treat everything the same in KSP, so longitude is always displayed as -180 to 1800.

So this is concerning the Periapsis or Apoapsis that SCANsat is giving you on its orbital projection overlay right?

Well, not really. I just happened to be using the Pe pass as a good point at which to measure and compare the various readouts. Ultimately the coordinates I'm getting are the result of where I'm placing my mouse cursor - in this case over the Pe icon. But when you dig down to it it's really the map coordinates themselves.

I agree, I wish Arrowstar would do the -180 to 180 but even if he did if there's something fundamentally flawed in the calculations it would still be off.

Anyhow, hope it helps. I'm really quite curious (as is Arrowstar) as to who's giving out the right coordinates...

SCANsat[v7.0] release candidate 5 is now available on GitHub

This is a final release for version 7 barring any new bugs. ORSX support is included for the latest preview versions of USI mods.

- Updated for KSP 0.24.2

- Updated for Kethane v0.9

- OpenResourceSystem no longer supported
- KSPI may still be supported depending on how the resource maps and definitions turn out

- Added support for ORSX
- ORSX dll not included; support is through reflection
- Will support any ORSX planetary resource with a defined SCANsat sensor

- SCANsat resource sensors now defined through a separate config file
- Located in SCANsat/resources folder
- SCANsat sensor type, and resource overlay colors can be defined here
- Colors are defined by RGB values in the 0-1 range
- Sensor types should not be changed by users

- Improved Multi-Spectral scanner
- Improved clickability
- More efficient model; 60% reduction in triangle count

- .version file included; KSP-AVC or mini-AVC not included

- Probably some other stuff that I've forgotten about

Well, not really. I just happened to be using the Pe pass as a good point at which to measure and compare the various readouts. Ultimately the coordinates I'm getting are the result of where I'm placing my mouse cursor - in this case over the Pe icon. But when you dig down to it it's really the map coordinates themselves.

I agree, I wish Arrowstar would do the -180 to 180 but even if he did if there's something fundamentally flawed in the calculations it would still be off.

Anyhow, hope it helps. I'm really quite curious (as is Arrowstar) as to who's giving out the right coordinates...

But are the coordinates wrong because of something fundamental SCANsat is doing wrong, or because its periapsis prediction is wrong? Is the periapsis for the two programs showing up over the same physical location on the planet, but giving two different sets of coordinates, or is the periapsis in a different position?

And does anything different happen when using a rectangular vs a different SCANsat map projection?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.