[DEV][0.24.x][Jul 24] SCANsat v7.0rc4 -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed!

@technogeeky, have you considered writing a shader? Feed it data and it spits out pretty rainbows! Let the GPU do its work and leave physics to the already overworked CPU.

Not until now. Since you directed this question at me instead of DMagic, I guess that you are meaning to use shaders for color palettes? Or do you mean for the resource overlays? Or, just in general?

Anyway, I wouldn't know where to begin on such an attempt.

Did you turn the scanner on by right-clicking the command pod and pushing the 'open map' button?

Why no I hadn't :P

Edit: that fixed it! and I feel like a bit of a ******. Thanks for the help :D

Edited by federally

it seems that SCANsat V7.0rc 2.1 wont let me generate the RADAR map (SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor). the others work fine as well as kethane and interstellar scanner. I tried with a new inatallation and a existing career. had no other problems but the RADAR map. i can start and stop the scan and it uses electricity but it wont generate the "black and white"-altimetry map (sensorType=1).

Glad to see SCANsat is moving forward again :)

One quick question, and one quick suggestion:

- Does the included Kethane resource scanner only look for kethane specifically, or for all resources using the kethane API? I'm kind of a fan of the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod, which piggybacks on Kethane to add its own ore resource.

- Regarding the often mentioned "maybe we will add SCANsat functionality to all capsules and probes, but you can also do so yourself", I was thinking: there could be a simpler, more fitting way. Namely, adding the functionality to antennas instead. In contrast to all the capsules and probe cores, there's only three antennas, so it's much less work. Also, these parts are woefully underutilized. Capsules have tons of options in their rightclick menu, adding more just overloads the UI even more. On the antennas, there's no overcrowding, and it gives the player a reason to mount antennas on all spaceships. I mean, what RL spaceship would launch without communications equipment? Yet in stock KSP, antennas are mere convenience options.

It also makes sense from a logical standpoint, because all you're basically doing here is connecting to the satellite network to download the map data. Clearly, giving a communications device this functionality is very believable.

Potential ideas there include having the SCANsat button only show up when the antenna is extended (cloning the behavior of the transmit science button), and potentially having a small energy draw while SCANsat is connected.

Evidently, I have the dumb.

How do I get SCANSat to actually appear in JSI RPM? I use MM to load Maptraq in my command pods (using recipe in OP), I have all the "required" mods installed, but when I click |MOD|-|SCANSat|, all I get is a blank screen, not even a "no connection".

Is there a cfg I need to edit?

it seems that SCANsat V7.0rc 2.1 wont let me generate the RADAR map (SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor). the others work fine as well as kethane and interstellar scanner. I tried with a new inatallation and a existing career. had no other problems but the RADAR map. i can start and stop the scan and it uses electricity but it wont generate the "black and white"-altimetry map (sensorType=1).

I'm not aware of anything we've done that would break it. What altitude are you scanning at? What color(s) are the "LO" label on the Small Map? If it is solid orange, then your altitude is too high.

Evidently, I have the dumb.

How do I get SCANSat to actually appear in JSI RPM? I use MM to load Maptraq in my command pods (using recipe in OP), I have all the "required" mods installed, but when I click |MOD|-|SCANSat|, all I get is a blank screen, not even a "no connection".

Is there a cfg I need to edit?

I haven't tried this route, so I don't know yet. Is at least one scanner (and/or MapTraq) turned on? I don't even think that is required for RPM.

I'm not aware of anything we've done that would break it. What altitude are you scanning at? What color(s) are the "LO" label on the Small Map? If it is solid orange, then your altitude is too high.

I'm having the same issue with 7.0rc 2.1 , I can make all maps except for the standard "RADAR" map. I've tried Kerbin, Mun, Minmus . Kethane mapping works, SAR works, etc, just not the basic one.

Maybe a cfg file typo someplace??

Suggestion: Surface Magnetic field mapping

I am working on a plugin which adds a more realistic magnetic field to the planets, the current version just uses a randomized field for testing (mostly aligned in one direction, still need to make sure it is the correct direction), but I could make it use something deterministic based on the planet's surface. The module receives a vector3 which represents the local magnetic field, for scansat purposes, probably only the magnitude is needed, and it could be used to generate maps like

Magnetic_Field_Earth.png

(from wikipedia, no graphics from mine atm)

Edited by thutmose

I updated GitHub with the latest version: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/releases/tag/v7.0rc2.2

It fixes the low-resolution scanner problem. I also consolidated the Interstellar and Modular Kolonization scanners into one module for each mod. You should only see one button on the right-click menu for each part now, instead of one button for each resource type. If you want to break them out into separate modules (or to put them onto different parts) you can create individual SCANsad modules with each sensorType.

It should also be noted that you probably shouldn't use sensorType = 255 anymore as an "everything" scanner. If you want something that covers all of the default SCANsat sensors use sensorType = 63. If you want something that can cover all supported resource types and the default SCANsat sensors you should use sensorType = 131071. I wouldn't recommend using the full 32-bit value for an everything sensor (2^32 - 1), it might cause performance problems because each scanner would be counted 32 times while scanning. The value given above covers 17 sensor types, which still might not be a good idea, but is better than all 32.

Suggestion: Surface Magnetic field mapping

This is an interesting idea, but I can imagine it might add to the big map's performance problems. If it needs to do anything beyond looking up intensity values it might be very slow.

Dmagic and crew, you guys rock.

Thutmose, I really like your idea, to expand on it a bit, how about adding the capability to generate "magnetic anomalies" which could be investigated by landing and doing "something"â„¢ ? whatda thunk?

I noticed on the latest version Alumina is no longer a resource selectable for display. Was this intentionally removed or is it in error?

You guys are doing a truly amazing job on this! :)

Only the resources that are actually available on a given planet are able to be selected. Uranium and thorium are present on most or all planets, but alumina isn't so its button isn't always visible. Try the Mun if you want to confirm it, it should have alumina, while Kerbin doesn't.

Ahhh, a quick cheaty way to see if anything is there at all before scanning ;) I'll check it later to make sure it is working as intended :)

Yes indeed, when orbiting a SOI that has Alumina the button does show up in settings. :)

MKS resources do not scan now, at least with an existing scanner in orbit. Will try with a new launch to see if that makes a difference.

New launch makes no difference, still doesn't show any even though the (icky) kathane overlay shows several.

From the docs for SCANsat it looks like support so far is for ORS MKS resources which aren't implemented yet. :(

Edited by JeffreyCor

hello all just want to report a bug with SCANsat v7.0rc2.2 and new kethane 0.8.6 (update)

KSP 0.23.5 464 ARM

here is a part of the log i think has to do with scansat and kethane not being comatible

if you need the whole log just drop me a PM so i can send it over cause its about 3mb

(0x0466089F) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType (System.Type) + 0x2f (04660870 046608DC) [01224E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x0466085C) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent (System.Type) + 0x14 (04660848 04660861) [01224E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x046A372C) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent<object> () + 0x24 (046A3708 046A3779) [01224E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0xD533E134) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): SCANsatKethane.SCANStarter:launcher () + 0x4c (D533E0E8 D533E141) [01224E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0xD533E076) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): SCANsatKethane.SCANStarter:searching () + 0x86 (D533DFF0 D533E08D) [01224E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0xD533DFD9) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): SCANsatKethane.SCANStarter:Start () + 0x21 (D533DFB8 D533DFDE) [01224E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x045FE629) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) + 0x41 (045FE5E8 045FE67D) [01224E70 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

Edited by dtoxic

hello all just want to report a bug with SCANsat v7.0rc2.2 and new kethane 0.8.6 (update) crash to desktop ill try to post a log later with the exact message...

I'll take a look at that. In the mean time, if Kethane is ever causing problems you can always delete (or move out of GameData) the SCANsatKethane.dll file. SCANsat will function fine without it (not the kethane overlays obviously), and that is the only element that interacts directly with Kethane.

Edit: It probably just needs a recompile. The top three lines of the error message are referring to activating the SCANsatKethane object. This is where SCANsat refers to the Kethane.dll, so it probably just won't accept the updated version and instead crashes. I'll see about adding some kind of version check as well, so that future updates will cause SCANsatKethane to simply not be loaded, rather than just crashing.

Edited by DMagic

Confirm the issue found by dtoxic, Kethane 0.8.6 is not compatible with SCANsat. Made KSP crash when entering flight mode, very similar log. Reverted to Kethane 0.8.5

However, I am having another issue (indifferent to the Kethane version), with SCANsat 0.7rc2.2 (and a ton of other mods installed, but can't say those are involved).

I am getting a long list of "MissingFieldException: Field 'SCANsat.SCANcontroller.ResourcesList' not found." lines since entering flight mode.

From the sourcecode I have sure this ResourcesList field is effectively defined and handled by ScanController, though I can't find where the exception is generated. Savegame seems to be in order, and I can't find any relationship of that field to other mods. Here the output.log; if required, I'll provide other files to help debug this.

I'll take a look at that. In the mean time, if Kethane is ever causing problems you can always delete (or move out of GameData) the SCANsatKethane.dll file. SCANsat will function fine without it (not the kethane overlays obviously), and that is the only element that interacts directly with Kethane.

Edit: It probably just needs a recompile. The top three lines of the error message are referring to activating the SCANsatKethane object. This is where SCANsat refers to the Kethane.dll, so it probably just won't accept the updated version and instead crashes. I'll see about adding some kind of version check as well, so that future updates will cause SCANsatKethane to simply not be loaded, rather than just crashing.

nice :) btw how do i setup kethane scanner? i click on setting then choose kethane but none is shown on the map? every other map works perfecly do i have to put kethane scanners?

The latest GitHub release has been updated for Kethane 8.6. Older versions are not supported (I haven't tested them, but they may work).

Further support for Modular Kolonization System has been added. Both ORS and Kethane-type resources should be working. The MKS Module Manager config file has been updated with the appropriate SCANsat module. There are a still a few issues, but mostly on the MKS side, the display threshold for Ore and Substrate is a little low, so they don't really show up on the map. There is also a mismatch between Kethane and ORS type resources with water. Kethane uses the resource named "Water", ORS uses "Aquifer". I'm not sure if that's intentional, but it means that the scans of one type won't be compatible with scans of the other type. For all of the other resources you can scan with either the ORS scanner or the Kethane scanner and both resource overlay types will be updated.

I also changed it so that all of the scanable resource types are now displayed in the settings menu, even if they aren't actually present on the current planet. No more cheating by checking the settings menu (or looking in the resource folder).

However, I am having another issue (indifferent to the Kethane version), with SCANsat 0.7rc2.2 (and a ton of other mods installed, but can't say those are involved).

I am getting a long list of "MissingFieldException: Field 'SCANsat.SCANcontroller.ResourcesList' not found." lines since entering flight mode.

Let me know if this continues. I changed a few things in how the ResourcesList is generated, I don't think they will have any affect on whatever is causing this problem, but it might. Do any of the overlays still work (or even the regular big map) when you get this error?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.