[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

i really like this mod its awesome and so simple it beats b9s complexity and does the same gameplay without 250 parts and mind blows, however there should be a problem, no matter what and how i build my planes, they dont put their nose UP during take off and i have to move all the way to the end of the runway, even after when i do take off, my planes nose always wants to pitch down, if i stop pressing s it keeps pushing progreade vektor down. i am not certain every plane i ever build with this mod is bad or something wrong with parts? does anyone else have this or similar stabilty problems

i would also love new engine components, rapieres thrust is worthless with the amount of fuel and payload i can add

Edited by TheReaper

I really love this pack. In fact, I just made my first (mostly) working SSTO with this pack.

Elf2bzg.png

It uses 2 turbojets for the cruise in the atmosphere, 2 aerospikes for orbital operations, and can carry 6 kerbals to a 100km x 100km orbit. It's intended for ferrying kerbals to and from orbit. It also has an in-line probe body for robotic operation. It's still got a few issues that I need to kink out before I can send it in to be consumed by the masses.

Action groups:

1- Toggles turbojets

2- Toggles aerospikes

3- Opens/closes the inline Clamp-O-Tron.

Flight profile:

1) Take off and build enough speed to pitch up to 45 degrees.

2) Climb at 45 degrees to ~10km

3) Level off to 10 to 15 degrees, but not low enough to start dropping altitude, for the cruise. You may want to stop at 20 degrees initially for the sake of keeping your vertical speed up, but drop down to 10 to 15 degrees when you got a good enough vertical speed cushion.

4) Just cruise along. Keep your vertical speed under to around 100 m/s, tapping down the attitude to keep that in check.

5) If you're on target, you should be able to get to ~1.9-2.1 km/s by the time you reach 32km in altitude. Keep burning the jets until you hit your desired apopasis (mine is 100km).

6) Your jets will start cutting out around 42 to 44 km. But by then, you should have hit your desired apoapsis. Switch over to the aerospikes using the 2 key. You can use those to make short bursts to compensate for apoapsis decay due to drag.

7) For a 100 km orbit, a burn of ~80 m/s should circularize your orbit well enough.

8) When landing, you should have 1/3 liquid fuel in the turbojet tanks, good enough for a couple go-arounds if you mess up the landing at KSC.

On orbit, the plane has a paltry ~310 m/s of delta-v. If you manage to dock to a station, you will need to refuel before coming home.

Issues:

-The plane likes to veer hard to the right during take off. You will have to hold down the A key hard and hope that you get up before the rudders can't take it anymore. Probably something to do with the gear placement.

-There's a vertical offset between the CoT and the CoM, which may be an annoyance during orbital burns using the MechJeb.

-Yes, there's the issue of not enough delta-v. I will rework the engines to attempt to get a better delta-v number.

Even though it's still in the prototype stage due to the issues mentioned above, you can pick up this spaceplane at your local dealership today! Feel free to make your own improvements to the plane. This file has a Mechjeb unit in it, so you need that installed first before using this file. The unit is located on the top surface of the fuel tank supplying the aerospikes.

I also have a recommendation for this pack: Can you put a lift factor on the structural wing components please?

Edited by AppleDavidJeans

i really like this mod its awesome and so simple it beats b9s complexity and does the same gameplay without 250 parts and mind blows, however there should be a problem, no matter what and how i build my planes, they dont put their nose UP during take off and i have to move all the way to the end of the runway, even after when i do take off, my planes nose always wants to pitch down, if i stop pressing s it keeps pushing progreade vektor down. i am not certain every plane i ever build with this mod is bad or something wrong with parts? does anyone else have this or similar stabilty problems

i would also love new engine components, rapieres thrust is worthless with the amount of fuel and payload i can add

Try adding wings or canards to the nose of your craft. I had similar problems with my spaceplane until I did that.

When I boot up the game with this mod installed, the game will crash :( but when I take it out the game runs fine... I really like the mod but I'd like to use it though :/ :mad:

Sounds like a memory issue. Check your output log.

If not open your windows console and monitor your RAM use for KSP. If it rises above 3.2gb it will crash.

My little six-seater SSTO keeps evolving...

http://imgur.com/a/9Lx7N

This iteration is smaller, uglier, flies much better, but on-orbit delta-v has dropped do a marginal state. It needs a little more work, still.

I love seeing these new SSTOs, and new to SSTO creators. After switching to Realism Overhaul I almost miss the the days when I could slap together a SSTO spaceplane in 5 minutes and send it to space. Now I am struggling with supersonic flight, and have yet to design an aircraft that can go farther than a 4hr 45min flight in any direction.

When I boot up the game with this mod installed, the game will crash :( but when I take it out the game runs fine... I really like the mod but I'd like to use it though :/ :mad:

When your game starts crashing a lot, first thing that you should check is if you have too many mods. That's usually the problem. To help with the issue, I'd recommend installing rbray89's Active Texture Management.

The best configurable one I've managed to make... 6 kerbals + 9t cargo to LKO, or extended range config - 6 kerbals + ~4000 dV from LKO(with largest droptank), or anything in between (e.g. smaller droptank and docking module).

It also flies very well. I generally don't even bother anymore to land at KSC, because it lands outfield just fine.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

hey, nice mod :D

Here's my space plane made with these parts (I think I'm using some bits from B9 as well). So far it can land on the mun but I'm still perfecting the return bit :P It's designed to work with ferram aerodynamics.

jbktH4lJsYWnu9.png

This particular plane is having an odd issue though. If I leave it standing still (orbiting) it will slowly start spinning. I also lost a few wings under mysterious circumstances, I went to lunch and when I came back my wings were floating away from the plane :P I reassembled the craft completely to see if I could find anything that could be overlapping but no such luck, it always spins when left still. This may have caused the loss of wings or be connected in some way.

I'm not requesting support though, it's impossible to tell what part is causing this, specially since I'm using two mods at once (parts mods).

I know, right? That's why I reassembled it completely.

But I'm actually testing it again right now and I think the problem was the nuclear engine, but I had to reassemble the thing twice to figure this out. Would be nice to have a mod that checks clipping inside the SPH/VAB (hint for modders!)

I know, right? That's why I reassembled it completely.

But I'm actually testing it again right now and I think the problem was the nuclear engine, but I had to reassemble the thing twice to figure this out. Would be nice to have a mod that checks clipping inside the SPH/VAB (hint for modders!)

Not just modders, but SQUAD. I have had this happen before, it was a rocket though and it was QUITE annoying to say the least.

I only have one really minor, niche critique for one of these parts. For the sake of crew safety, I always like to play with the VNG ejection/parachute system on my planes. For anyone who hasn't used it, it adds a part that, when attached to a crewed pod, can be activated to eject the crew from the hatch. In my experience it works fine with mod crew pods as well as stock ones.

Except for the SP+ four crew cabin. Often times I get a 'Hatch Obstructed' message when attempting to eject kerbals from it if the cabin is attached to other parts, even though the top-side hatch is left totally clear. If I attach the ejection system and a bare minimum of other parts to the crew cabin, it will occasionally eject the kerbals, however, they're fired parallel to the long axis of the crew cabin, which is generally going to be parallel to the ground. With any other part, the kerbals are ejected at an upward angle from the hatch.

Given that the hatch in the crew cabin is on the top side of the part, the ejection force should be perpendicular to the long axis of the cabin.

I realize that this is rather minor conflict and I honestly haven't minded not equipping the crew cabins with the VNG part, but if maybe there's something simple in the way that EVA'd kerbals are spawned from the cabin hatch that could be fixed, that would be really awesome.

try adding the module to the part so you don't have to place a VNG ejection box and see if that makes a difference

@PART[Mark1Cockpit] <--- change part name
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
ejectionForce = 10000
maxUses = 1
}
}

hey, nice mod :D

Here's my space plane made with these parts (I think I'm using some bits from B9 as well). So far it can land on the mun but I'm still perfecting the return bit :P It's designed to work with ferram aerodynamics.

http://i.minus.com/jbktH4lJsYWnu9.png

This particular plane is having an odd issue though. If I leave it standing still (orbiting) it will slowly start spinning. I also lost a few wings under mysterious circumstances, I went to lunch and when I came back my wings were floating away from the plane :P I reassembled the craft completely to see if I could find anything that could be overlapping but no such luck, it always spins when left still. This may have caused the loss of wings or be connected in some way.

I'm not requesting support though, it's impossible to tell what part is causing this, specially since I'm using two mods at once (parts mods).

If you're still having trouble, try this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[~breakingForce[]]:FINAL
{
breakingForce = 200
}
@PART
[*]:HAS[~breakingTorque[]]:FINAL
{
breakingTorque = 200
}

try adding the module to the part so you don't have to place a VNG ejection box and see if that makes a difference

@PART[Mark1Cockpit] <--- change part name
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
ejectionForce = 10000
maxUses = 1
}
}

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't seem to do anything. Added that module to the VNG part, changed the referenced part name appropriately and I got nothing in game. No options in the VAB to set the ejection action and no functionality in flight. I'll play around with it more later though.

I love the parts, but there could be some minor things fixed.

There are no IVAs, right? Is there a way to add just the crew-pictures (right bottom in flight). Sometimes, it confuses me to switch to the craft and there is no crew vissible. Of yourse, they are in the cockpit.

And the two cockpits are a bit hard to handle, when you are in EVA. To get the right spot to store/take experiments you have to get really really close to the part to activate the menu.

I love the parts, but there could be some minor things fixed.

There are no IVAs, right? Is there a way to add just the crew-pictures (right bottom in flight). Sometimes, it confuses me to switch to the craft and there is no crew vissible. Of yourse, they are in the cockpit.

And the two cockpits are a bit hard to handle, when you are in EVA. To get the right spot to store/take experiments you have to get really really close to the part to activate the menu.

IVAs are a requirement for having the profile pictures. That's how KSP knows to add them apparently.

IVAs are coming; Porkjet recently posted WIP cockpit pictures

Hello guys, i made a new plane today capable both as top speed traveler and SSTO, for ssto simply remove the tail and add a rapier or rocket engine, i want to thank RoboRay for his awesome wing idea that gave me the inspriation, as ssto, can simply go and carry some more stuf and crew, has more then enough lift and fuel , for ssto it can keep engines running at minimal power up to 49 kms and a little more then 2.000 surface m s speed.i think its capable of flying beyond orbital speeds when low on fuel , it becomes so light and lifts so smoothly, files really well and stable, minor adjustments can be made, it really feels like i won the game, i used this mod mainly, some stock and B9 intakes, air breaks, landing gear,sn struts

screenshot10.png

screenshot16.png

screenshot12.png

screenshot13.png

Yaw controls slighly pushes the nose down due to top wings being high over the center of mass, under 4x physical time warp sudden turns can still break it down,

side note : i am sorry for posting long posts whenever i try to make these list of images, i really dont know hw people use the imgur slayt show style

i would also love your great Name ideas for something like this, my previous favorite was Aurora, i could use something that ends with the same tone and sounds nice

Oh, hell yeah! Very simple, nothing fancy but very cool looking. I like.

i would also love your great Name ideas for something like this, my previous favorite was Aurora, i could use something that ends with the same tone and sounds nice

Imgur is easy to use...

This is how you post an album from imgur.

[ imgur ] wwPmC [ /imgur ]

No spaces ^Album code from imgur album

https://imgur.com/a/wwPmC

---------------------^Code for imgur album post, if you have a # at the end do not put the # in there you don't need it.

Hope this helps you reduce the size of your posts...

If everything is correct it should look like this.

Javascript is disabled. View full album