[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

sidenote: i wonder what the real b2 uses to smooth out yaw controll.

Drag-rudders. The b2 is a heavily automated aircraft. Essentially there are speed brakes on both wingtips that open more or less than one another to instigate yaw by way of differential drag. Unfortunately I haven't really found a way to get KSP to do that. If control surfaces were bound by the player rather than automated it could probably be done with KoS (along with a lot of other cool things) but alas. As to the lift issue, I never experienced it, so I think that's a farrem/lack of farrem thing.

Dang, I was too slow, i fixed it too. RCS Build Aid showed a major pitch down, and the RCS is not set up well. Resetting the engines and wings corrected the pitch problem (The engines were set a bit too high, so it created the pitch down, wings were fine, just had to move them to set the engines)

Replaced the wheels with stock, just to reduce possible problems. I think the B-9 wheels can be added back now. Added an additional SAS because it wouldn't rotate for takeoff. Added canards and three small control surfaces as rudders clipped into the engine pods. Swapped out the engines to make testing easier. Added a forward fuel tank to move CoM a little further forward. Currently climbing to 15k meters to see how fast it will go with twin turbojets. (Still maintaining a centerline Rapier for orbital flight)

Edited by Pondafarr

Thanks all for helping me:) plane appereantly flies great now.

@Pondafarr-com was pretty fine in the original design, and engines were directy centered with the body, so its not realy very high, its just landing gear and some other utilty added beneth the craft pushes down the com a little, it previously did not cause problems,also every plane almost have that,

@Balto-the-Wolf-Dog- as the lift issue, you mean not lifting properly in the air or taking off from the runway?

allthoug still couldnt figure an absolute fix to take off problems,it just wants to turn, and high speed turns can be deadly, i think similar example would be adding rocket engines to rovers, you know they eventualy trip and blow up as well, but planes.. never had that before.

So Plane is appereantly as best as it can get, finaly fixed the take off problem as well, appereantly its also ksps fault NOT MINE!! when using angel snap, the further you go to front or back edges the smaller 90 degree heading angles get, so at edges of craft any part(this scenario, landing gear) wubbles facing left and right because game tries to figure out where it should face in tiny angles,so i placed it back to a proper place, take off problem also gone. i normaly dont share em i share pictures but since this design was contributed by other SP+ members, why not, real introduction of spirit, Flies really well, manages to go up to 30-35 km engines lose thrust imsymetricaly. you can get more fuel if you want to, but if you can fly well with high altitute thrust/stabilty management, (that part is a bit harder in FAR) it can get things done nice enough.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/547362/SPIRIT-Public-Share-craft.html

You dont trust my designs? let me remind you that i design planes so good even KSP cant handle them :cool:

--Note that public share version does not have RCS or front,back,docking port facing cameras, because you may not have RPM or RLA stock like installed, so i deleted them, you still need B9, main utility provider for crafts.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Absolute Lift capable, you can probably add 2 times more fuel without serious consuquences. Still rotates slightly when pitched at peak altitudes and speed, otherwise its fine, without FAR return and stabilty at high alitudes would be easier since its lifting defies gravity. If using Far i reccomend a bit more attack angle during decend.

Special Thanks to

Balto-the-Wolf-Dog

Pondafarr

Dilny Kerman

Genewin Kerman

The Design problems (for introducing me to FAR, should take some practice but its very good, and your prograde doesnt fall 25 desgrees down, since mass is not the only factor)

For those whom were lost:

Countless kermans who died testing previous defected designs.

Edited by TheReaper

The only thing that I can think of to make this mod better would be a set of air brakes like from b9.

B9 is actually has a few small useful parts like that hidden in all the part bloat. It would be nice to see some nice airbrakes in the SP+ style.

The only thing that I can think of to make this mod better would be a set of air brakes like from b9.

B9 is actually has a few small useful parts like that hidden in all the part bloat. It would be nice to see some nice airbrakes in the SP+ style.

here i was thinking i was the only one who is aware that b9 is "lets play a game where you try to find 20 usefull parts in a load. it will be like looking for a needle in the haystack" that is why i have like 10 parts from b9 left, i deleted everything except landing gear, its strut,airbreaks. and i agree for future updates, some "utility" parts would fit very good in this pact, like its own landing gear, airbreaks, or mk2 sized engine that requires no adapters.(difficult to imagine but would be awesome) also some more wings that will give more flexable designs. or more importantly its own hybrid engine, (like rapiers) BUT BETTER

here i was thinking i was the only one who is aware that b9 is "lets play a game where you try to find 20 usefull parts in a load. it will be like looking for a needle in the haystack" that is why i have like 10 parts from b9 left, i deleted everything except landing gear, its strut,airbreaks. and i agree for future updates, some "utility" parts would fit very good in this pact, like its own landing gear, airbreaks, or mk2 sized engine that requires no adapters.(difficult to imagine but would be awesome) also some more wings that will give more flexable designs. or more importantly its own hybrid engine, (like rapiers) BUT BETTER

I disagree with your opinion on B9. I use most of the parts. But yes, it is very bloated, but in the next update, they'll bring the bloat down by using FSTextureSwitcher and Modular Fuel Tanks. Regarding your suggestions, I don't think this pack needs its own landing gear (stock is fine IMO), and it already has many different wing types - many more than stock. Also, PorkJet has stated that he wants to do a SCRamjet at some point, which while not able to operate in space, will be able to accelerate you to almost orbital speeds while in the upper atmo.

Drag-rudders. The b2 is a heavily automated aircraft. Essentially there are speed brakes on both wingtips that open more or less than one another to instigate yaw by way of differential drag. Unfortunately I haven't really found a way to get KSP to do that. If control surfaces were bound by the player rather than automated it could probably be done with KoS (along with a lot of other cool things) but alas. As to the lift issue, I never experienced it, so I think that's a farrem/lack of farrem thing.

Try the air brakes from B9. Bind then to action groups 1 and 2 for left and right side respectively so that you can control which side opens. Won't be able to fine tune, but should be a crude work around for now.

Thought of something else, maybe a mark 2 shaped decoupler. If you try to use the others, you get a space between your parts and also the corners stick out. Could be useful in making escape ejection type systems or for maybe using one craft to make multiple things once you arrive at your destination.

I disagree with your opinion on B9. I use most of the parts. But yes, it is very bloated, but in the next update, they'll bring the bloat down by using FSTextureSwitcher and Modular Fuel Tanks. Regarding your suggestions, I don't think this pack needs its own landing gear (stock is fine IMO), and it already has many different wing types - many more than stock. Also, PorkJet has stated that he wants to do a SCRamjet at some point, which while not able to operate in space, will be able to accelerate you to almost orbital speeds while in the upper atmo.

without FAR reguler engines can get me to orbital speeds in fine designs with ease, allthough far makes fine built aircrafts fly better, regretably not spaceplanes, ican barely accelerate to 1.600s now even with finest designs, i used to get 2.200 on atmosphere with stock. regarding b9, you realize you partialy disagree with me right? also b9 update? seriously happening? project appear abondoned, i though half life 3 was more likely to come before b9 update

without FAR reguler engines can get me to orbital speeds in fine designs with ease, allthough far makes fine built aircrafts fly better, regretably not spaceplanes, ican barely accelerate to 1.600s now even with finest designs, i used to get 2.200 on atmosphere with stock. regarding b9, you realize you partialy disagree with me right? also b9 update? seriously happening? project appear abondoned, i though half life 3 was more likely to come before b9 update

b9 has said he has a new version ready to roll with the next update

I agree with B9 parts bloat. Or, sortof... B9 tries to be all things to all men. Very few parts are straight bloat, there's just SO MUCH STUFF. It's like Novapunch, tons of great parts, but you only need 3 out of the 50000 at a time... That's why I've become a HUGE fan of this mod.

But I also would love Airbrakes, and another jet engine would not be unwelcome either. I have 20+ different rocket engines between stock, KW and Near Future, but only 3 jets, and only one of them is a hybrid. I'd love another more efficient hybrid like for example a thermal jet that can toggle between air breathing and oxidizer. Or the previously mentioned scramjets, heck yeah bring it on! :)

Great mod! Curious if anyone has designed a lander that fits in the spaceplane cargobay?

i dont think that place is designed for landers, a capsule for return maybe if you want to keep the plane in space

I think that might fall in the category of "so ugly it's beautiful" :P Neat concept with the wing mounted jets, does it cause any stability issues when the center of lift ends up that much higher than the thrust?

within atmosphere, and it having 2 sas and 1 mk 2 probe body for extra tourque, it so slowly wants to pitch up it doesnt even matter if you can controll it, in space where wings and controll surfaces cannot provide stabilty, off center thrust becomes a bit issue since center of mass is a bit lower then the back RLA stocklike mod aerospike engine. but it is stable as long as you dont have full throtle , thats how 1 pit, 1 probe body,2 sas helps, further asistance can be gained if you add RCS, and it does look beautifull, its just not "photogenic" ;)

Great mod! Curious if anyone has designed a lander that fits in the spaceplane cargobay?

Yup, they have.

Just to see if I could do it, I managed to slap together a tiny lander that would fit in the Mk2 cargo bays and land it on the Mun. I did have to use Infernal Robotics extendable rails instead of proper landing gear, though. The reaction wheel helps keep it from tipping over despite the unhelpfully narrow support base. Also, I don't think that design had enough delta-v to get back ... details, details.

http://imgur.com/a/XZJNF

I think this was mentioned previously, but I assume SP+ IVAs aren't yet compatible with RPM 0.17? I ask because all the other mods I'm using are compatible. It's not a big deal for me, I'm willing to wait and deal with the non-functioning displays for a while just to have the beautiful spaceplane parts. This is quickly becoming my new favourite mod and I've been playing with it constantly the last couple days.

Maybe, if you aren't using FAR (Ferrem Aerospace Research) then you need to delete the FAR.cfg file.

No you don't. the FAR file only gets applied if The FAR mod is installed. Unless you have an outdated version of Module Manager. MM is up to 2.1.5 - anyone who doesnt have it should upgrade.

hi! I got this addon and I have to say it looks really sweet. My only problem is that I'm missing half the parts of it for some reason. I got it from curse yesterday. I tried removing and re-downloading twice. Today, I dowloaded from this link, from dropbox. Still, I dont have the:

- 4 Fuselages

- 3 Mk2 to 1.25m Adapters

- 2 Mk2 Cargo-Bays

- 13 different Wing segments

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: Got it... Didn't know I had to take out another folder out of the one you download

Edited by MrUberGr