[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

@Alewx and Beachernaut

Would you be so kind as to upload your crafts (post #771, #773) to a file-sharing service, such as DropBox and supply the link? Your vehicles look great and would save a lot of frustration in building one of our own.

Thanks

Full disclosure: In over 700 hours of KSP game time, I've never built nor flown a space plane.

Edited by Apollo13

Full disclosure: In over 700 hours of KSP game time, I've never built nor flown a space plane.

You really should try man. It is really fun when you manage to design a working one. Plus, there are a couple of tutorials by scott manley out there that really teaches all you gotta know.

@Alewx and Beachernaut

Would you be so kind as to upload your crafts (post #771, #773) to a file-sharing service, such as DropBox and supply the link? Your vehicles look great and would save a lot of frustration in building one of our own.

Thanks

Don't feel bad, I was in excess of 1000 hours before I attempted building spaceplanes. Now at over 1700 hours, I'm far from an expert on them.

Edit: Here's a link to these in the Spacecraft Exchange.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89258-My-Spaceplane-fleet?p=1325609#post1325609

You really should try man. It is really fun when you manage to design a working one. Plus, there are a couple of tutorials by scott manley out there that really teaches all you gotta know.

+1

Getting your 1st SSTO to orbit is on par with your 1st Mun landing IMO. It's kind of like rockets, once you understand what works (actually what doesn't work), it gets easier and allows you to build flexibility into your designs.

Edited by Beachernaut

I still got problems with Spaceplane Plus. When I try to go to the runway, KSP crashes. I do have a lot of other mods but I only experience this issue with Spaceplane Plus. Are there any known compatability issues? I highly doubt it since Spaceplane Plus only adds parts.

Anyone else use these parts in space stations for crew accommodation? No, just me then..?

zY1t1wi.jpg

(this is why I won't use CLS - to my eyes, that a perfectly functional habitation module because it looks like it is, but CLS will ignore it. Also, you can fit 4 around a 2.5m part, ratehr than 3 round a 1.25m part. You'll need something on the bottom in either case as the parts are slightly different lengths)

Don't feel bad, I was in excess of 1000 hours before I attempted building spaceplanes. Now at over 1700 hours, I'm far from an expert on them.

Edit: Here's a link to these in the Spacecraft Exchange.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89258-My-Spaceplane-fleet?p=1325609#post1325609

thanks. I gave ya a Rep point on the forum as well.

Anyone else use these parts in space stations for crew accommodation? No, just me then..?

Great outside-the-box thinking. Gotta try that as well.

Edited by Apollo13

Excellent mod and it allows to create neat passenger planes ... ! However, when starting KSP, the game says Firespitter is incompatible with KSP 0.24.2 (I'm playing the 32-bit version). Is it something I can delete without too much consequences (apart from alignment of landing gear for example) of is this small problem otherwise resolvable ... ?

Bekiekutmoar,

SP+ won't work correctly without it (no animations for the cargo bay or docking port). It probably won't make any difference in gameplay to leave it in. If that message really bothers you, you can download the latest version of the Firespitter plugin from Snjo's GitHub.

I'm not using FAR. But you are saying a Cockpit + Docking + Largo Cargo + LTO fusilage + long mk2->mk1 setup would only require 1 Rapier engine to get to LKO? Sounds weird to me. But i will try it later today :)

Spaceplanes lift with their wings, not their engines. And once you get into the low-friction atmosphere over 20,000m, it only takes a small amount of power to crank it up to Mach 4 or better.

Speed is more about altitude than power. More power lets you climb to 20,000m faster, but once you get there you should be shutting down as many engines as possible anyway. Your intakes can keep one engine running at much higher altitudes than they can keep multiple engines running.

If it's got enough oomph to get off the runway, it should be able to get to space if it's flown right. Minimise angle of attack and climb rate (ideally, both <10 at 30,000m), maximise speed and altitude. Don't pull the nose up and light the rockets until the air runs out.

And you really should at least give FAR/NEAR a try. Spaceplanes aren't spaceplanes without it.

Hey guys, thread talking about disable camera fov, how to do it ? i have this in log : [Exception]: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Part.GetConnectedResources'.

only when i put SP+ part, like fuel tank or another :/

efnEWwE.png

I don't even know what I'm doing anymore

You know how you double click an area inside the IVA and get a better view from that perspective? Is there a change (Or an area to click that I'm missing) that looks you directly out of the front from the two front panes, rather than off to the left or right a bit? It doesn't work well for those of us with Steam guages that want to use the HUD

Edited by Sabor

Bekiekutmoar,

SP+ won't work correctly without it (no animations for the cargo bay or docking port). It probably won't make any difference in gameplay to leave it in. If that message really bothers you, you can download the latest version of the Firespitter plugin from Snjo's GitHub.

Ah, got rid of the message. However, there's still something off and I'm almost certain the flaw is on my end; while FAR does have effect on stock parts in KSP, the parts from Spaceplane Plus behave like flying in the stock, soupy atmosphere of Kerbin. Contents of the download are stored in the GameData folder. Any advice on this matter ... ?

I checked but the components are indeed installed correctly. Deleted the whole game and installed it again including mods, but the 'soupy-atmosphere problem' isn't solved. ModuleManager 2.2.0 is the most recent, right ... ?

EDIT: Nope, turns out 2.2.1 is the most recent. My test-plane now flies like crap, so that means the problem was indeed an old ModuleManager ... !

Edited by Bekiekutmoar

There's MM 2.2.1, but it shouldn't make a difference (the added features are more for config writers than players).

Can you post an example craft and your output_log.txt? Also, are you certain it's just SP+? There was the FAR nerf to all airbreathing engines in 14.1. That would make everything feel slower.

I checked but the components are indeed installed correctly. Deleted the whole game and installed it again including mods, but the 'soupy-atmosphere problem' isn't solved. ModuleManager 2.2.0 is the most recent, right ... ?

EDIT: Nope, turns out 2.2.1 is the most recent. My test-plane now flies like crap, so that means the problem was indeed an old ModuleManager ... !

Wrong. Look to the config patches loaded by Module Manager. MM is just the messenger as it were.

I just flew a very similar jet that definitely responded to FAR, and everything on your end looks installed correctly.

What do you mean by it flies like the stock atmosphere?

Can you try a different plane with stock parts and the basic jet?

I just flew a very similar jet that definitely responded to FAR, and everything on your end looks installed correctly.

What do you mean by it flies like the stock atmosphere?

Can you try a different plane with stock parts and the basic jet?

Well, the strange thing is FAR didn't had any effect on the plane shown above, so it flew as if FAR wasn't installed. This issue was however limited to non-stock parts; a plane made entirely out of stock parts, responded to FAR very well. When I replaced ModuleManager 2.2.0 with 2.2.1, the problem was gone and every part is now subject to FAR. Don't know exactly what changed though ...