MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}
}

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

"Dammit Jeb stop pulling the cockpit release lever! I don't care how 'totally rad' it is to decouple at Mach 4!"

My Jeb has been having fun with the EVA Parachutes mod. Mach 4 skydiving; got reentry flames on him last time he did it... :cool:

My Jeb has been having fun with the EVA Parachutes mod. Mach 4 skydiving; got reentry flames on him last time he did it... :cool:

I did a mun return mission once that way. He grabbed all of the science and shuttled back on fumes with his jetpack, orbital reentry, parachute. I don't have deadly reentry obviously. :P

If you have got modulemanager installed, you can set up a patch to do all the work for you like this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[#category[Pods],!MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:Final{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}
}

You're right, I should not have mentioned editing actual files and I never ever do that so I don't know why I suggested doing it that way now.

Chalk it up to another case of the creeping senilities...

I forsee many staging mishaps with this config.

FOR SCIENCE!

Well, there is a way to minimize the danger of such mishaps:

staged = false

Requires the assignment of action groups.

Be warned though that less mishap = less fun!!!!

@PART
[*]:HAS[#category[Pods],!MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:Final{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = bottom
staged = false
}
}

Yes, but in career mode, the cargo bay is unlocked very late and thus you're stuck with no SAS but what's in the cockpit.

I have had a lot of success with simply adding SAS right behind my intakes or engines.

2 IRW followed by 2 RAPIERs results in a very stabile aircraft that can handle the COM being pushed forwards/backwards as fuel is spent (this obviously depends on the size of your aircraft)

SAS is easy to come by especily for planes. i cant belive it can even be trouble, if you are using mk2 to 1.25 adapter parts add one sas there, add one trough intakes, engine bodies, radiel fuel tanks. and/or abuse controll surfaces put big ones on wings, if using FAR or NEAR increase their strengh. and done. SSTO in vacuum space and still not enough torque? (impossible but let say you got that problem) RCS solution.

if you care alot for eshtetics SAS can be clipped inside the parts the same way people clip stock cockpits in mk2-1.25 adapters

Edited by TheReaper

I have had a lot of success with simply adding SAS right behind my intakes or engines.

2 IRW followed by 2 RAPIERs results in a very stabile aircraft that can handle the COM being pushed forwards/backwards as fuel is spent (this obviously depends on the size of your aircraft)

This is career mode and the Rapier is unlocked very late and so is the double engine adapter.

SAS is easy to come by especily for planes. i cant belive it can even be trouble, if you are using mk2 to 1.25 adapter parts add one sas there, add one trough intakes, engine bodies, radiel fuel tanks. and/or abuse controll surfaces put big ones on wings, if using FAR or NEAR increase their strengh. and done. SSTO in vacuum space and still not enough torque? (impossible but let say you got that problem) RCS solution.

if you care alot for eshtetics SAS can be clipped inside the parts the same way people clip stock cockpits in mk2-1.25 adapters

Clipping means risk of bugs. I'm finally playing a career playthrough which I expect to finish and am not willing to run the risk of losing Kerbals due to clipping.

While I appreciate all the suggestions, these are simple things that I've ruled out for design reasons. I like pretty planes :sticktongue:

The Dronecore adaption fits my purpose.

Edited by Hejnfelt
a word

I created the SAS and RCS parts I was talking about.

Here's a showcase video that also includes ObsessedWithKSP's decoupler because I thought that was pretty nifty.

Parts copied from Porkjet's dronecore

Parts color-coded somewhat according to KSP principles. RCS is yellow, decoupler is red and SAS is orange

Get all the parts here

- Download original look from Mega

- Download colorful look from Mega

This redistribution has been permitted by Porkjet.

Edited by Hejnfelt

This is career mode and the Rapier is unlocked very late and so is the double engine adapter.

Clipping means risk of bugs. I'm finally playing a career playthrough which I expect to finish and am not willing to run the risk of losing Kerbals due to clipping.

While I appreciate all the suggestions, these are simple things that I've ruled out for design reasons. I like pretty planes :sticktongue:

The Dronecore adaption fits my purpose.

the only part clipping problems i encountered was big rockets, no plane had encountered problems with clipped parts, if you are still unsure, there is a tedious way to make it safer, inside strutting. simply strutting the part clipped and connecting it to exterior walls of the body. i seriously do suggest that you try it on .. ahem... secondary concern kerbals.

I created the SAS and RCS parts I was talking about.Parts color-coded somewhat according to KSP principles. RCS is yellow, decoupler is red and SAS is orange

i appericate the work thank you for your contrabution.

but... i see brown green and red colours :)

I just wanted to pop in and say how much I love this mod! Beautiful parts. I'd love too see some Mk.II nosecone pieces, possibly with built in intakes, as well as some different "tail" pieces, particularly ones that would allow allow different engines to be attached in different configurations, such as 2 .625s with a 1.25 in the center, or a cluster of .625s.