[1.3] Kerbal Flight Data (Release 23, 2017-08-14)

DaMichel

Err ... this left me scratching my head. There is a VSI right next to the (stock) altitude display. What is wrong about that?

Firstly, it's small, hard to read, and on the opposite side of the screen.

Secondly, and much more importantly: I've been using the Mechjeb readout for so long that I forgot that the bloody thing was there.

D'oh. Off to hit myself in the head a few times as penance.

@Wanderfound:

For those purposes, I use Kerbal Flight Indicators (also by DaMichel). It shows forward and prograde markers relative to a virtual horizon with much finer detail than the navball. The stock vertical velocity indicator is usually enough for landing planes and level flight even though it's not on a linear scale. Also, KER 1.0+ offers custom windows and has a hotkey so you can clear the window away quickly.

...now installing Kerbal Flight Indicators as well.

Today has been a good day to mod. Thanks, DaMichel (and Master Tao).

You're welcome.

W.r.t to a new VSI. No you could not persuade me.

I actually think adding one would be useful but for the reasons i stated above. Maybe a symbolic indicator, like ++ (--) for >100 m/s, + (-) for >10 m/s, x for less than 10 m/s. I could put that behind the altitude indicator with relative ease. I definitely don't want to add another line of text because of increasing bloat.

• 1 month later...

I'll upload recompiled version just to be on the safe side. But actually it should work already. At least it didn't require any code changes whatsoever.

@Jovus. IIRC you should also get the intake readout if you are air deprived enough!

• 2 weeks later...

New version is up.

Now the display also shows up in IVA. Its on top of the screen to not interfere with the instruments. I figured this would still be nice until there are sensible RPM configs which show the FAR data.

Np.

Here is another update. Now you can change the font size. It is for IVA and external view separately. I prefer the size in IVA to be a little larger since this fits better with the overall more chunky look. The font still scales with the UI scale and the navball size. The latter i should probably change on the next update. At least for IVAs.

DaMichel: I have another request for a data addition that you might not want to do. :D

I'm finding that the only thing which I still need Mechjeb data for is distance to target (and to a lesser degree, bearing to target, although you can get that approximately from the navball). When I'm cruising back to KSC at Mach 5, I need to know when to ditch altitude and hit the brakes (which you can also guess a bit from the navball, but nowhere near accurately enough)

Any chance? It wouldn't clutter things up if it only showed when a target was selected. It'd make the data useful for docking, too.

Indeed i would actually rather not do that. I mean, it sounds good. But i consider this project pretty much complete and sufficient for my own selfish needs and i want to go on with other things ;->

Btw. do you know that instrument landing system plugin? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85353. How about using this? Its definitely nicer looking that MJ windows. Also i guess it's very much like the real thing :)

Btw. do you know that instrument landing system plugin? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85353. How about using this? Its definitely nicer looking that MJ windows. Also i guess it's very much like the real thing :)

It's a nice concept and I gave it a go, but the implementation didn't quite work for me. Too much screen clutter from the big black box, combined with text too small to easily read.

For actual landing, I get by just fine with Kerbal Flight Indicators (thanks!). Just put the prograde marker on the end of the runway and cruise in.

It's the navigation to KSC that I need data for; thanks to DRE (or, more accurately, my failure to adequately compensate for the requirements of DRE; I'm still in the habit of setting up to ride the edge of overpressure rather than the heat boundary), I routinely overshoot KSC by 300km or more.

Heh, I'd been waiting until I had a good screenshot to report that, which I took yesterday. I suspect the text issues are OpenGL-specific. The text shadows are drawn on top of the text as seen here:

KFD%20Text%20Shadows.jpg

I've tested this in an otherwise stock+Toolbar install with default settings.

KSP: 0.25 32-bit Mac OS X 10.9.5

Mods: Toolbar 1.7.7 & KFD Rel. 10

Log: nothing relevant; the only references to KFD are when the dll is loaded

One quick fix would be to make the text shadow color configurable, even as an entry in the settings config.

Well this is odd. It has never occured to me, but i'm on windows.

I think the problem is that i assume a certain draw order to make the shadow appear behind the normal text. I guess i cannot count on that in general. I'll see if i can come up with a better way.

@Wanderfound:

I happen to overshoot a lot, too. But i can also judge the distance to target roughly by looking on the map screen. So you say having an actual number works better for you? I might just give this a try using either MJ or the ILS plugin then :)

@Wanderfound:

I happen to overshoot a lot, too. But i can also judge the distance to target roughly by looking on the map screen. So you say having an actual number works better for you? I might just give this a try using either MJ or the ILS plugin then :)

I'm usually gliding at Mach 5 / 30,000m with maximum time acceleration on; spending too much time watching the map screen is asking for disaster (and not as scenic). As a rule of thumb, I'll stay fast until 200km to KSC, and drop down to start doing S-turns once I get within that range.

Hm i see. If i ever make this work i'd love to somehow include way to select sites from Kerbin Side. Either way, it would be a lot to add. And right now i don't feel like doing the extra work. Sorry. ;-p

@Master Tao & Unit327: Please try this. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxa19oe8nwgftoh/KerbalFlightData.dll?dl=0

Just replace the DLL.

Great. I updated the OP with a new release.

Edit: Another little update. I removed Toolbar as hard dependency. Without it, you won't have the means to turn KFD off, but it won't break. This lets me finally remove Toolbar from my archive. Most people will have it already installed anyways.

Moreover i release KFD now on GitHub. I'm only going to support one download site, so there will be no Dropbox releases until stated otherwise.

Edited by DaMichel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.