[1.3] Kerbal Flight Data (Release 23, 2017-08-14)

DaMichel

Just like FAR should be stock, too :D

Btw. i stealthily updated my mods with fixed path handling on linux (thanks taniwha-qf, that was my first pull request :wink:). Moreover i removed the intake display if AJE is installed. I'll probably replace it with the display of engine thrust, or the more fancy excess power which Ferram added recently.

• 2 weeks later...

This still works just fine with 0.90, if anyone was wondering. Sadly, it does however, overlay the new SAS controls. Any chance we can either get movable HUDs or just have the left section moved further left by ~200 pixels?

• 3 weeks later...

a little update:

* now shows throttle setting along with thrust (but only if AJE is installed)

This is meant for IVA piloting but it shows also in external view. It's just a quick hack and i'm thinking about doing it more properly later on ...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well i could add that. But actually i already have a patch in FAR that modifies stock speedometer to show whatever you have selected as speed text. I guess your IVA doesn't have the stock speedometer. My preferred solution is that modders who build custom speedometers interface with FAR, but this is future stuff and probably needs some work on FAR's API, too, to make it less of a PITA.

Moved by request to Addon Releases.

However, please follow the addon rules by putting a License file (or a file saying what license the download is) in your release zip, and please either include source or a link to source (can be a link to this thread) in the release zip.

If the displayable information became more complete, and were configurable (something the VOID dev has been planning to do for a long time), it might not just be "flight data" for spaceplanes and FAR users, but in general an alternative to the VOID hud.

The reason i'm saying this is because people have different needs - i for example would like to be able to see latitude and longitude, but to someone else this might be irrelevant. Displaying all information any user might want would make the HUD so cluttered that it became useless. So IMO, configurability of which information is shown, would be a requirement for any HUD that metaphorically speaking strives to take the crown.

If the displayable information became more complete, and were configurable..., it might not just be "flight data" for spaceplanes and FAR users, but in general an alternative to the VOID hud.

While I obviously can't speak for DaMichel regarding this mods scope, the OP says it "[d]isplays essential information for piloting space planes, so you don't have to keep "immersion breaking" GUI panels open". I would consider having VOID/KER readouts as some of those immersion breaking GUIs open, as well as them not being terribly useful for spaceplanes. When I pilot a spaceplane, I don't need to know my latitude, biome, surface TWR or whatever - I need to know my AP/PE, air intake and flight status. This mod does it perfectly and personally, I wouldn't want it to bloat up with information already provided in other mods I have installed.

Also KER has 2 HUD elements similar to VOID, but those are entirely configurable in both content and placement. Have you considered using those instead of VOID?

I thought what he meant with "GUI panels" were GUI windows, instead of a HUD. And latitude/longitude is relevant to not just spaceplanes, but even planes have it. I regularily use it to estimate my current relative position to KSC, when flying in the atmosphere. Then there is inclination, which definatelly would be relevant to a spaceplane.

So, i was talking about actual fundemental "flight data", yet data which perhaps not everyone needs - hence configurability (and it doesn't have to be a GUI - can simply be on/off switches in the configfile). As for "engineering calculations", like TWR - i wasn't even considering those.

Thus far, i haven't been using KER. I'll take a look at it's HUD.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, i tried KER - where is the HUD? All i can find are dialog windows. Configurable ones, sure - but not what i call HUD. That's not an alternative.

Also KER has 2 HUD elements similar to VOID, but those are entirely configurable in both content and placement. Have you considered using those instead of VOID?

IIRC, you can actually make all of the displays use the HUD style (or atleast any custom ones) so the number of available HUDs is not limited to just 2.

I also agree that the extra information can be left to the likes of KER. This shows exactly what it needs to in a concise and useful manner.

Okay, i tried KER - where is the HUD? All i can find are dialog windows.

HUD1 and HUD2 I believe they're called by default. Configurable from the control window (I can't remember what it's called, but you can hide it and it has edit buttons next to each window as well as allowing you to open/close each display)

Edited by Crzyrndm

I'm using KER myself. I just open the KER windows when i need the information but most of the time i can keep them closed. Same think for FAR flight data. The KER HUD is nice, but it is still not the same.

KerbalFlightData will probably stay very limited in scope. It doesn't make much sense to me to try to expand it into a second VOID or KER. My advice is to just use what you like/find helpful. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, as far as I can tell it is. Folder in GameData/KebralFlightData/Plugins

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9097777/output_log.zip

Hmm.. well, the thing I can see is that KFD just isn't loade, which is pretty obvious anyway:

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KerbalFlightData': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'DMFlightData' from assembly 'KerbalFlightData, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Not sure why it's not loaded though, only thing I can suggest is reinstalling from new.

Also, unrelated, but are you aware TextureReplacer has a navball replacement feature now? Save it under GameData\TextureReplacer\Default\HUDNavBall.png and it should show up.

Hmm.. well, the thing I can see is that KFD just isn't loade, which is pretty obvious anyway:

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KerbalFlightData': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'DMFlightData' from assembly 'KerbalFlightData, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Not sure why it's not loaded though, only thing I can suggest is reinstalling from new.

Well at least we pinpointed where the problem is, just gotta figure out the why.

Also, unrelated, but are you aware TextureReplacer has a navball replacement feature now? Save it under GameData\TextureReplacer\Default\HUDNavBall.png and it should show up.

Oh really? I'm not really a fan of Texture Replacer. I only tried it for the reflective helmets and just to get that I had to go in and figure out how to fix it so my Kerbals would keep their clothes on, in the end the reflective helmets cause too much lag so I'm probably going to end up removing it. Enahnced NavBall was supposed to get a similar feature at one time but it never came about.

This is odd. I have never seen such an error. DMFlightData is the name of the class that is the entry point for all plugin functionality. No idea why it doesn't want to load it. I'll investigate.

It might be related to loading it standalone, without Blizzy's toolbar. Does this have stock toolbar integration? It's not clear from the front page.

The version history seemed to indicate Blizzy's wasn't required so I didn't install it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.