Most Kerbal Looking Real Life Rockets

mstrfalco

I think the Japanese HII-A is a good one with its short stubby little boosters :D

wr05.jpg

That rocket is being launched tomorrow so be sure to watch! (0305-0320 GMT on 24th (11:05-11:20 p.m. EDT on 23rd))

So, what rockets do you guys think look like something straight out of KSP?

Most of the Japanese rockets remind me of my own Kerbal rockets, what with their focus on large quantities of stage-dropping early on during the most fuel-intensive part of the flight. The N-II in particular is very similar to a number of my launch systems:

N-II.svg

Naming-wise, my rockets more closely resemble the Indian launch systems: perfectly utilitarian and descriptive of their function rather than being some sort of reference. That said, I don't see any space agencies that launch rockets with horrible puns for names, so I still hold the distinction of having no real-world counterpart there.

Edited by SkyRender

Definitely a KSP-like failure.

Its so much more horrific when its people, not Kerbals, who are killed ;.;

I'm not sure if it's just the cut that was taken from the program, or the whole thing, but it does seem condescending to mock the Soviet programs accomplishments of getting to orbit without acknowledging their losses, and then boast of America's successful moon landing without mentioning the loss of the Apollo 1 crew.

That's just suporbital stuff. If you want to get a payload(also though no crew) into orbit launched from a plane, use the Pegasus. It's a plane-launched rocket using only SRBs.

Yeah. Im not sure what type though.

It's Dnepr, a commercial launcher modified from the R-36. As for a kerbal rocket, how's this?

Pilot_10.jpg

NOTS EV-1 Pilot. Clustered solid rockets, launched from a supersonic aircraft, at least a 90% failure rate-it practically has Jeb's name on it. For bonus crazy points, the payload was so tiny they couldn't work out if one of the launches reached orbit or not-it was simply too small to show up on any contemporary radar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.