KSP Featured In Guinness Book Of World Records

The Jedi Master

Sure, it was the gaming edition, and it didn't actually win a record (it was a feature on science in gaming), but I saw it in a copy from the library and I was immediately awed. We must be getting famous! Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, but you can find it in any copy of the Guinness Gamer Edition 2014. Discuss!

Don't they have to contact Squad for permission before using images from the game in their book?

Not necessarily, I don't think. I believe that they're OK to do it because the images they used are not subject to copyright, and the content is OK without consent because they are essentially reviewing a part of the game. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not a lawyer.

I'm just surprised that something got printed about KSP without Rowsdower knowing about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that danRosas handles all the publicity stuff etc. Obviously it would be taken to HarvesteR for approval, but Rowsdower could be kept completely out of the loop. Of course, something like this would probably spread about Squad like wildfire if they'd have known, so the chances are that they weren't even told that it would be in the book :P.

You could be right, I'm not really in the loop of who does what exactly at Squad. I just noticed Rowsdower handles the posts here related to whenever KSP is featured in a media outlet, so it seemed strange to me for him not to know.

Yeah, Rowsdower is the community manager, which is why you always see him posting anything to us. Basically, he's Squad's conduit between themselves and us (the consumers). I might be wrong, Rowsdower may market news about the game beyond the forums, but to my knowledge it's danRosas who handles all external stuff (with approval from HarvesteR). I'm kind of confusing myself here so this is a basic summary*:

• Rowsdower: Community manager - he gives us all the news about Squad and Squad's products, as well as relaying back to them our opinions on them and anything we have to say about it. He also generally handles the community.
  • danRosas: Handles all marketing and anything involving Squad's products outside of Squad's domains (ie: outside of the forums, website, spaceport, etc.).
  • HarvestR: Final approval/judgement for danRosas/Rowsdower.

*From what I can assume. Don't take my word for this.

This is totally awesome!

I remember trying the game when it was still in 0.13.3(about two years ago)... KSP has got far, really far, I couldn't even think it could get so far the first time I tried it.ç

Also, I connected to my facebook just to "like" the picture(so my friends can see it :wink:)

Don't they have to contact Squad for permission before using images from the game in their book? Not that they wouldn't have given it, I'm just surprised that something got printed about KSP without Rowsdower knowing about it.

I know that the rules for posting your own "Let's Play" and other Youtube videos are pretty much "we don't care as long as you say the game is © Squad."

I don't see how putting pictures of the game in a book would be much different. However, I suppose Rows will be along in a minute to clarify!

I remember trying the game when it was still in 0.13.3(about two years ago)... KSP has got far, really far, I couldn't even think it could get so far the first time I tried it.

Snap! Real kerbals land on their wings, right? :wink:

But yeah, back when there was 1 planet with 1 moon, no landing legs, and a generally limited part range. SO much has changed. It's been great seeing Squad come along so quickly and successfully, they deserve their awards and their place in the Guinness Book Of World Records Game-thingy.

I know that the rules for posting your own "Let's Play" and other Youtube videos are pretty much "we don't care as long as you say the game is © Squad."

I don't see how putting pictures of the game in a book would be much different. However, I suppose Rows will be along in a minute to clarify!

That's a good point. I suppose it's not all that different from a magazine showing pictures in a review. And the book probably features dozens or hundreds of games, it might not be practical to contact the publishers of all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, Rowsdower is the community manager, which is why you always see him posting anything to us. Basically, he's Squad's conduit between themselves and us (the consumers). I might be wrong, Rowsdower may market news about the game beyond the forums, but to my knowledge it's danRosas who handles all external stuff (with approval from HarvesteR). I'm kind of confusing myself here so this is a basic summary*:

• Rowsdower: Community manager - he gives us all the news about Squad and Squad's products, as well as relaying back to them our opinions on them and anything we have to say about it. He also generally handles the community.
  • danRosas: Handles all marketing and anything involving Squad's products outside of Squad's domains (ie: outside of the forums, website, spaceport, etc.).
  • HarvestR: Final approval/judgement for danRosas/Rowsdower.

*From what I can assume. Don't take my word for this.

That's not even close unfortunately :)

Rowsdower is indeed the Community Manager, and your description of his job is pretty accurate. DanRosas is the lead animator for KSP, so he's a developer. HarvesteR is the lead developer for KSP. More information about the people at Squad can be found here: https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/about.php

Hold your tits together before making assumptions. This is the gaming version of the Guinness Book. So, yeah a mention in a page of a huge book with thousands of pages. And it's not even a full page. Breadcrumbs picnic everyone?

The only record KSP might set is the 'first alpha game with proposed and launched DLCs'.

That's not even close unfortunately :)

Rowsdower is indeed the Community Manager, and your description of his job is pretty accurate. DanRosas is the lead animator for KSP, so he's a developer. HarvesteR is the lead developer for KSP. More information about the people at Squad can be found here: https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/about.php

Oh, yeah, I don't think I made it overly clear: I was referring to these people's roles regarding this kind of situation. It would be pretty shameful to not know that HarvestR is the lead dev :P

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for triple posting, i am unable to edit posts right now. Please kindly disregard the last two posts. I didn't realize there were 3 pages, and posted after reading the first page. then i read the second page, with which i found my exact question. So sorry. :blush:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.