[WIP] KAP - Kerbin's Age of Pioneers (A Career Mode Overhaul)

AlphaAsh

My wife is the real technical genius so I'll probably discuss this further with her. At the moment, BatteryLife can't be restored. Kerbals will have to change them out, hopefully with more proficiency than they do lightbulbs. Radials should be easy to do with KAS (small ones, anyway). Inlines, not sure.

Simple method

Perhaps you could use a resource, similar to the generators from interstellar, in how it changes resources from one type to another. Start with say Iron, convert iron to electric power, and create oxidized iron. Then convert oxidized iron to iron again, but with an additional waste product. This will give you true function, but no real purpose, as it is functionally the same.

Complex method. Similar to above, only using more resources, to better simulate how batteries work.

Battery = multi fuel storage compartment, have some extra space, so say 120 for 100 resources. Say Iron and Copper. Both are needed to make electricity, you need a 1-1 ratio. When converting the oxidized form back to normal, have one convert at a greater than 1-1 ratio.

So to start Batter = 120/120 storage with 100 iron/100 copper

Drained, and recharged, now you have 120/120 storage with 105 iron/100 copper

Draining at a 1-1 ratio, you are going to end up with too much iron oxide to convert into iron, as you reach the 120 capacity. Because copper is stable, you can never get more than a full charge, even with the extra iron you get at first. As Iron oxide builds up (from lack of room to convert it back) your battery starts losing the charge it can produce (going dead). Eventually, you will not really be able to recharge it at all as it slowly dies over time.

If they are KAS compatible you could change them out on stations and mutli usage ships.

Edited by Umbrae

Wrapping my head around that. Another idea suggested to me was a dedicated 'recharger'. A part that restores BatteryLife with... you guessed it, ElectricCharge. Just like plugging your battery recharger into a mains socket. The big problem there is where do you find a mains supply. I'd consider having a heavy industrial recharger require NuclearPower from a nuclear reactor (NuclearPower is the custom resource I use to differentiate from large rates of ElectricCharge).

Other than making it harder to collect, barely anything i guess

Its your choice to have RSS or no RSS, but i think it just makes it harder for everyone

If I do something with KAP for RSS, it'll be completely optional and won't be a 'requirement for best gameplay experience'.

Wrapping my head around that. Another idea suggested to me was a dedicated 'recharger'. A part that restores BatteryLife with... you guessed it, ElectricCharge. Just like plugging your battery recharger into a mains socket. The big problem there is where do you find a mains supply. I'd consider having a heavy industrial recharger require NuclearPower from a nuclear reactor (NuclearPower is the custom resource I use to differentiate from large rates of ElectricCharge).

First, I don't think a dedicated recharger is that great of an idea. what would stop them from using solar power or a reactor to recharge from (for example a lander with a command ship. the lander may only use batteries, but why re-dock with a nuclear generator only to have to recharge the batteries using a separate part?) Unless I am missing something, I don't see any advantage to that over just replacing the battery itself, specifically as it saves on texture space which is extremely limited.

Second, let me re-explain my idea a bit more. I have often have trouble explaining complex system, I apologize.

All numbers in this are for simplicity only.

4 new resources, Iron, Copper, and Oxidized Iron, and Oxidized Copper.

Batters work like a generator, using both iron and copper to produce electric power.

The waste product of this conversion is Oxidized Iron, and Oxidized Copper.

Batters cannot be recharged forever, but they can be recharged several time before they stop holding some charge, then eventually die totally. To simulate this, here is what I propose.

Both iron and Copper are used in equal amounts to make electric change, and each one gives off an equal amount of oxidized version. So 1 electric charge for example takes 1 copper, and 1 iron, also produces 1 oxidized iron, and 1 oxidized copper.

To recharge, use electric charge to convert oxidized resources back into the normal form (taking a bit more charge than it does to get electricity, so overall batteries are a power sink for the convenience of storing it).

Now here is the trick, to simulate the battery going dead over time.

Since only the non-oxidized versions of a resource work, have one resource convert back to the non-oxidized for at an increased rate. So 1 oxidized iron becomes 2 iron, but one oxidized copper becomes 1 copper. Naturally, there will not be room to convert all of the iron, so you will end up with more and more oxidized iron that is nothing more than waste. This would instantly lower the available charge, as both Iron and copper are needed, but you now have 100 copper, but only half that of iron (the rest being oxidized with no room to convert).

But batteries don't instantly start going dead, so we need another trick for that.

Leave extra room for resources in the battery. For example if the battery holds 400 iron (or iron oxide), and 400 copper (or copper oxide), but only 100 iron and copper, first charge, works fully 100 electric power generated, and are left with 100 of each oxidized resource.

Convert back from oxidized, now you have 200 iron, and 100 copper, which is then used and converted into 100 electricity. Recharge, now you have 300 iron, and 100 copper. Over time as you keep recharging the problem exasperates itself, the next charge 400 iron, 100 copper.

Now is where it starts getting interesting. The next recharge conversion will run out of space to convert iron. With 300 extra iron, but only 100 space left it will only make 50 iron for a total of 350. Now you are on a downward spiral, but as you still have 100 of both non-oxidized resource, you are still producing the same power output. As you recharge, you now have even more oxide built up with no room to convert, 300 iron. Then 250, 200, 150, 100... Once you have 300 oxidized iron built up that is your last full charge with 100 iron to make electric charge from. Once that is used, the next recharge, you will only get 50 iron back, so you will only be able make 50 electric charge. Each recharge is going than half the electric power your batter can produce.

Again these numbers are just for simplicity, but I hope you get the concept I am trying to describe.

Okay, I'm going to dissect this. First concern is that ModuleGenerator will merrily make the oxidised materials even when their stores are full. It just gets dumped.

"The next recharge conversion will run out of space to convert iron." That's the problem there. It doesn't.

This still looks like needing a plugin.

03 update. Been busy integrating more of Firespitter because helicopters are fun. Also been busy with KerbTown making bases all over Kerbin, using parts made by Lack and Justin Kerbice.

Art. Just cos.

thething.png

03 update. Been busy integrating more of Firespitter because helicopters are fun. Also been busy with KerbTown making bases all over Kerbin, using parts made by Lack and Justin Kerbice.

Very nice, looking forward to it.

The tech tree nodes themselves are unchanged. KAP changes when parts are unlocked in the standard career tech tree.

EDIT - I won't use TreeEdit until the need to host trees on a third-party server changes. If it becomes possible to deliver a modded tech tree independently, then it may change.

Edited by AlphaAsh

The tech tree nodes themselves are unchanged. KAP changes when parts are unlocked in the standard career tech tree.

EDIT - I won't use TreeEdit until the need to host trees on a third-party server changes. If it becomes possible to deliver a modded tech tree independently, then it may change.

Yep that was a strange design choice, I wish it just copied the tech tree from the mod plugin folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. My time is being spent on another mod at the moment (KerbinSide). I'm not nearly done with KAP. Now I'm back in to modelling and texturing I'm also planning on lots of early-tech parts too.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that KerbinSide and R and R has had some love, I'm back on KAP for a little while. KAP is getting something of an overhaul for the next version. I'm pulling integration of most mods in preference to my own placeholder replacements that I'm busy on. Squad's tech requirements for parts will be further adjusted.

Now that KerbinSide and R and R has had some love, I'm back on KAP for a little while. KAP is getting something of an overhaul for the next version. I'm pulling integration of most mods in preference to my own placeholder replacements that I'm busy on. Squad's tech requirements for parts will be further adjusted.

Good to hear. Keep up the good work!

KAP_ALPHASAMPLE_03 now available. Please review the OP and forum thread before using KAP, so you know what you're getting.

kap03promo.jpg

Download KAP_ALPHASAMPLE_03: http://www.kashcorp.co.uk/KAP_ALPHASAMPLE_03.zip

Includes:

- A number of additional configs for Squad parts. These do not alter stock parts.

- A ModuleManager cfg that does change many Squad parts.

- The latest version of ModuleManager.

- Many new custom parts to replace placeholders originally included through other mods.

Installation:

- Remove any previous install of KAP.

- Copy the contents of the GameData folder in the zip into the GameData folder of KSP.

KAP is WORK IN PROGRESS. It isn't finished. All parts are WIP. All changes to tech requirements are WIP. All additional science stuff is WIP. It's all WIP. Enjoy :)

EDIT: KAP is lots more fun with Rovers and Roadsters. You can find that in the other forum.

Edited by AlphaAsh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Struggling to find good sources on real-world equivalances of SAS/ASAS technologies employed currently and historically. Any plane junkies out there got some pointers? Cheers in advance.

Since I haven't seen anyone else jump on this and since I am an aviation Historian with a engineering background... SAS/ASAS is like an Autopilot. Both use Gyroscopes (even the earliest Electric or vacuum autopilots had Gyros in them. The main difference, the SAS/ASAS impart control moment themselves. An Autopilot senses a change in directionality of the plane in question, then adjusts the control devices (Ailerons, Elevators, Rudders, RCS etc,) to bring the plane's flight path back on track. Modern Autopilots use a combination of GPS and Gyros to determine aircraft plotted vs real location and can self coarse correct.