Stockalike RF Engine Configs v3.2.6 [01/20/19][RF v12]

Raptor831

It was a TSTO spaceplane I'd made in career mode.   Two jets and two hydrolox coxswains either side of the main fuselage.    These boost to mach 4.7 / 37km  and the rear of the main  fuselage, containing a fuel tank, lander can and another coxswain, decouples.   This upper stage fires its RCS to stabilize the fuel then ignites the motor.   The burn is over in 25 seconds by which point the AP is well out of the atmo.   Then switch back to the airplane and fly it back.   Obviously being on the rear fuselage, it cannot already be firing at separation , or it won't ever separate.    Thinking about it,  this became a problem after I switched the root part to be the launcher's cockpit, not the lander can. 

I have a video of the shenanigans I could always upload.

3 hours ago, AeroGav said:

It was a TSTO spaceplane I'd made in career mode.   Two jets and two hydrolox coxswains either side of the main fuselage.    These boost to mach 4.7 / 37km  and the rear of the main  fuselage, containing a fuel tank, lander can and another coxswain, decouples.   This upper stage fires its RCS to stabilize the fuel then ignites the motor.   The burn is over in 25 seconds by which point the AP is well out of the atmo.   Then switch back to the airplane and fly it back.   Obviously being on the rear fuselage, it cannot already be firing at separation , or it won't ever separate.    Thinking about it,  this became a problem after I switched the root part to be the launcher's cockpit, not the lander can. 

I have a video of the shenanigans I could always upload.

Nope, found the problem and fixed it. It's a Real Fuels problem so the fix will be in the next update of RF.

• 2 weeks later...

Preliminary support for ProbesPlus engines: https://github.com/canisdirusleidy/RFStockalike/blob/master/GameData/RealFuels-Stockalike/Stockalike_ProbesPlus.cfg

Current issues:

1. Can't completely remove mod's own upgrades: they remain visible in TechTree despite at all !PARTUPGRADE in cfg.
  2. Not sure about RCS propellants. Maybe need to add something else to MMH/UDMH+NTO and Hydrazine.
  3. Main thruster and RCS combination parts. Not sure I did all right.

12 minutes ago, Canis Dirus Leidy said:

Preliminary support for ProbesPlus engines: https://github.com/canisdirusleidy/RFStockalike/blob/master/GameData/RealFuels-Stockalike/Stockalike_ProbesPlus.cfg

Current issues:

1. Can't completely remove mod's own upgrades: they remain visible in TechTree despite at all !PARTUPGRADE in cfg.
  2. Not sure about RCS propellants. Maybe need to add something else to MMH/UDMH+NTO and Hydrazine.
  3. Main thruster and RCS combination parts. Not sure I did all right.

Awesome, thanks for doing this!  I attached a table below that Akron had given me in the ProbesPlus thread when I was looking into trying my hand at making configs.  Don't know if you'd find it helpful or not- 

On 3/7/2017 at 3:48 PM, akron said:

Cool. This may help:

Engine Name RL Name Game Propel. RL Propellant Game ISP RL ISP Game Thrust RL Thrust Mass RL Mass
Linkor Fregat - S5.92 LFO N2O4/UDMH 345s 327s 35 kN 20.01 kN 0.3kg (Full Module) 75kg/930kg(Module)
Jib Mariner 4 (4-jet) engine MP Hydrazine 240s ? 4 kN 222 N 0.09kg ?
Lahar Akatsuki Propulsion Module LFO MON3/N2H4 345s ? 10 kN 500 N 0.085kg ?
Trident Aerojet MR-107N (6-jets) MP Hydrazine 240s 236s 15 kN 170 N x6 (1020 N) 0.21kg 740g x6 (4,440g)
Kurt KTDU-425A LFO N2O4/UDMH 315s 315s 17.5 kN 18.89 kN 0.1kg 70kg

• 3 weeks later...

From the topic, I don't quite get what this does. Does it take stock (and mod) engines and tanks and configure them to work with RealFuels like real tanks/engines ('balanced' to Earth), or does it balance them to work like stock but using real fuels (balanced to Kerbin)? I've had a decent time with building RSS rockets with this config and a pile of mods (starting off in career was tricky because size 1 parts are kinda incredibly small for an orbital vehicle IRL) but I'm just wondering if everything is still a little underpowered or not.

Edited by Ithirahad

3 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

From the topic, I don't quite get what this does. Does it take stock (and mod) engines and tanks and configure them to work with RealFuels like real tanks/engines ('balanced' to Earth), or does it balance them to work like stock but using real fuels (balanced to Kerbin)? I've had a decent time with building RSS rockets with this config and a pile of mods (starting off in career was tricky because size 1 parts are kinda incredibly small for an orbital vehicle IRL) but I'm just wondering if everything is still a little underpowered or not.

It's an engine pack. Tanks are balanced according to your RF settings. Engines mostly have thrust based  on whatever part they're modifying but they're usable with RSS depending on what you want them for. If you want really big payloads then you will probably want some more powerful engines or at least bigger tanks. With just bigger tanks (or Procedural Parts) you can get by just fine though. Just use more engines. Or LH2 + SRBs

I have an addition for Stockalike_NFSpacecraft.cfg

With Near Future Spacecraft 0.6.1 some engine names have changed and there spelling was brought into line with other parts from NFT.

orbitalEngine-25 -> orbital-engine-25

orbital-engine-125   (real fuel settings not existent)

orbitalEngine-375 -> orbital-engine-375

orbitalEngine-0625 -> orbital-engine-0625

1 hour ago, New Horizons said:

I have an addition for Stockalike_NFSpacecraft.cfg

With Near Future Spacecraft 0.6.1 some engine names have changed and there spelling was brought into line with other parts from NFT.

orbitalEngine-25 -> orbital-engine-25

orbital-engine-125   (real fuel settings not existent)

orbitalEngine-375 -> orbital-engine-375

orbitalEngine-0625 -> orbital-engine-0625

NF Spacecraft engines are updated on the GitHub master, you can update the configs from there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Installing this made some of my engines, for example engines from Cryogenic Engines and Modular Rocket Systems (not sure if there are parts from other mods too) appear in the fuel tanks tab in the editor. Not a huge issue but it's triggering my ocd. Is there a fix for it?

2 hours ago, Headrip said:

Installing this made some of my engines, for example engines from Cryogenic Engines and Modular Rocket Systems (not sure if there are parts from other mods too) appear in the fuel tanks tab in the editor. Not a huge issue but it's triggering my ocd. Is there a fix for it?

I don't think OCD can be fixed.

Maybe the parts could be made to appear in the right tab instead?

• 1 month later...

@Rocket-man Not as of yet. Though you probably could do some CFG splicing and get them from the RO files, since they're already sized up.

Also, I can't add support for all of these part packs on my own. Just not possible given the time I have in RL, much as I'd love to. If you have pull requests, send them in. I'm generally slow, but I'll get them merged. So any packs I have missed or fallen behind on, feel free to correct me. https://github.com/Raptor831/RFStockalike

• 2 weeks later...

Just to mention that I got huge problems developing a generic TAC-LS to MFT/RF patch, until I found the culprit for one of the last three remaining issues:
GameData\RealFuels-Stockalike\Fuel_Conversions.cfg

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

New updated pushed to GitHub. Should be propagating to CKAN as soon as it checks.

@Gordon Dry That fuel conversions file was changed in the last commit, so check to see if this update helped.

@Iso-Polaris I only mess with fuel tanks in that fuel conversions file, so if there's an actual fuel tank defined somewhere then it's not RFStockalike configs. Does Real Fuels have an "official" tank for that part?

23 minutes ago, Thomot512 said:

Hi, it may be a dumb question but is Real Fuels stockalike compatible with RealEngines, because I've noticed that all the engines of the RealEngines mod are with KeroLOX, which is not correct.

It needs configs for every engine mod, and I guess no one has made them yet in this case.  Are you volunteering? :wink:

I was looking at the configs files to see if I was able to understand, and I took an engine that is in RealEngines and FASA, the AJ-10 137 for comparison and took a look between the Stockalike and RO config.
In the RO config for RealEngine : @mass = 0.295 (which seems consistent with the 295kg i found on the Internet for this engine)

In the RO config for FASA : @mass = 0.650

In the Stockalike config for FASA : @mass = 0.385

The same with trust curve, and others. 
Let's be honest I really don't understand how all of this work. So sorry but no I'm not volunteering. I'm going to use the RO config and hope for the best.:P

Edited by Thomot512

@Thomot512 The RO config will probably work fine. What I do when I make configs is to keep the thrust locked (i.e. it'll have the same power as the original stock/mod engine so you use it in the same places), and adjust the mass to fall in line with a realistic TWR for its type/thrust. The only "problem" with using RO configs with RFStockalike is going to be the size. If you use a real-sized F1 on your Apollo clone, it'll take up a lot more space than you really want. Which is why I say RFStockalike is best suited to 6.4x scale. You could technically use RFStockalike configs on a real-scale install and they'd play nice with anything from RO, you'll just need 12 engines on your moon rocket.

If you want to play around with the configs, you can "roll your own" here: http://bit.ly/rfstockalike  There's a config generator that has all (or at least all but a handful) of engines currently in RFStockalike. You can adjust settings and see what's up. Copy the result into your own config files in your GameData folder to test. If you find nice setups for the Real Engines mod, send them in via a PR on the repo.

• 2 months later...

Hello, im getting a "Error: Cannot find animation named HeatAnimationEmissiveTurbofan" on part aje.atar, aje.avon, aje.j57, aje.j75 and aje.j79 from AdvanceJetEngine mod. And as a result no Plume on those engines. Im trying to figure out why the config i have for those, included in the RF Stockalike download won't work?

Here's my .log too if that helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/czez443sxw29qbi/KSP.log?dl=0

I've had this issue sinse 1.2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.