Stockalike RF Engine Configs v3.2.6 [01/20/19][RF v12]

Raptor831

Also, what do I change in order to make it so that hypergolic fuel have infinite ignitions and cryogenic fuel have limited ignitions?

There's a column for EI Mode and for Ignitions. Set the EI Mode column for each engine you want to have infinite ignitions to "2". Then set the Ignitions column for those engines to 0. Anything you want to have limited ignitions for you can set the Ignitions column to whatever number you want.

Instructions are also in the Docs tab in the XLS.

Nice. Thanks for your awesome work on these configs :D

You're welcome! :)

I really like that this config retains the sizes of the existing engines, but one thing bugs me.

Seems quite odd that I am able to push a payload fraction of 5.5% using a crude two staged kerolox rocket in RSS.

That's better than the atlas 5, and better than the projected optimal configuration of the SLS with the quad F1 booster setup... It seems... Odd?

I really like that this config retains the sizes of the existing engines, but one thing bugs me.

Seems quite odd that I am able to push a payload fraction of 5.5% using a crude two staged kerolox rocket in RSS.

That's better than the atlas 5, and better than the projected optimal configuration of the SLS with the quad F1 booster setup... It seems... Odd?

I've honestly never tried these on a full 10x scale RSS install. I would guess, it still being a kerbal-y game, that you can really max out your payload fraction, so while it does seem odd, it doesn't surprise me. On a full stock setup, I was always shooting for 10%+ payload fraction (1 ton payload for 10 ton rocket), but I know it's not too hard to get much better than that.

The config is based on the "suggested" TWRs that are calculated in the XLS. That data was in Chestburster's original work, which I presume is the same in NathanKell's RftS XLS. They "feel" good to me, from a stock-ish perspective. With a 6.4x scale Kerbin, it's enough that you have to design a good rocket, but you can still launch the 2.5m capsule with 2.5m parts. Maybe kerbals just make darn good engines! :wink:

You could grab the XLS and make some tweaks until you feel it's better. If you do, I'd be happy to hear what changes you made.

FYI, I've found a quirk if you're running this config and the HGR beta pack. The latest Real Fuels (6.2) comes with a HGR config bundled. This config has the engines inside as well, which will conflict with the ones in this config. It will double the engine configs, which basically makes the part have two engines at once. To rectify, you need to only have one config per part running. I removed the engine edits from the bundled config to make sure the stockalike ones were being applied properly.

How easy/possible would it be to add the remaining FASA tanks?

Tanks actually are pretty easy to add. Take a look at the tank configs in the /GameData/RealFuels/ folder and mimic those. The volume for a tank is generally the amount of LiquidFuel and Oxidizer combined times 5. So: (LF + O) * 5 = Volume I think MonoPropellant comes out to around the same formula. Xenon is a different story, though. Honestly to save RAM I dumped all of the FASA tanks, since I have Procedural Parts now anyway. The MM config should look like this:

@PART[some_fasa_tank]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 100 // = (LF + O) * 5
type = Default // or possibly ServiceModule if need be
}
}

The Stockalike config is more for engines, so I'm not adding fuel tank configs to it.

No kidding! I got close with the Service Module Extension with the old Mk. 1 eyeball: 6000 for the upper (vs 6200 via napkin math) and 4000 for the lower (vs 4500 via napkin math). That's good to know for future reference.

Sometimes I'll make a comparison to the StretchyTank with the same dimensions and just steal the volume from that. I think technically the volume available should be a cylinder with half-sphere end-caps contained within the tank part, if you really feel like doing math. Which is V = (Pi*(d/2)^2*(h-d))+(4/3*Pi*(d/2)^3) where d = diameter and h = height. Pro tip: just use a spreadsheet and plug formulas in. :)

Edited by Raptor831
Grammar

NOrmally I don't want to be annoying and asking after ETA and all but I want to make a Delta IV-style launch with the DELTA 4 parts from KLSO today.Bbut of course with Real Fuels. Now I want to know if your next update is almost done and I can wait or if it will take longer still :)

The engines are in my personal config, and I was testing them last night. I should be able to package that up and release it tonight since they worked ok last night.

Hmm. While engine TWRs are more or less correct, the tank mass ratios are much more guesswork, and also assume that you're loading down each stage with the appropriate other stuff (guidance, retro rockets, ullage motors, interstage bases and fairings, 3 axis RCS stabilization for uppers, etc). If you go "light"--and especially if you, say, use a balloon tank rather than a regular tank--your dry mass fraction will vary, and with it your dV.

Yay :D Thanks that you work so fast

Config is updated, and the KSLO is added to the list of supported mods. And thanks for the tip, I really like those engines! :)

Also, the KSLO is considered a "NASA"-type manufacturer in my matrix, just like Aerojet Kerbodyne (both of which are Blackheart's). Enjoy! As always, let me know if you find any bugs/oddities or have suggestions.

Regarding actual tankage volume it's easy when you have a 3D modeling program and can snag actual dimensions from stuff :P. For folks like myself though quick and dirty is how it has to be. :D

Oh trust me, current fuel units * 5 is where it's at. :wink:

For me I've noticed that some of the FASA and LazTek fuel tanks are not configured for real fuels.

I have all the relevant mods up to date but can't seem to work out what the problem is. I also attempted to look through the StockAlike_Engines_RF.cfg file but it looked way to complicated for me.

Any help would be great, thanks.

For me I've noticed that some of the FASA and LazTek fuel tanks are not configured for real fuels.

I have all the relevant mods up to date but can't seem to work out what the problem is. I also attempted to look through the StockAlike_Engines_RF.cfg file but it looked way to complicated for me.

Any help would be great, thanks.

The fuel tanks are not configured by default. And they are not included with the engine configs here. They're really easy to make, though.

First, check the part config that you're wanting to change. Figure out how much LiquidFuel and Oxidizer (or MonoPropellant) are in the tank. Multiply that number by 5. That is (generally) the proper volume for Real Fuels tanks. You can look a page or two back to find the calculations to figure out part volume, but it's usually close enough not to worry about it. Copy the name of the part (not the title!). Make a new file and name it something (like Mod_modularFuelTanks.cfg) and paste this in there:

@PART[HGRRadial] // paste the part name inside the brackets
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 150 // this should be your volume number
type = Default
}
}

You can stick as many parts in the same file as you want, though I like to keep them organized by mod, like the base Real Fuels install.

EDIT: It should be noted that this requires Module Manager, but if you have Real Fuels running you already have it.

Over in the RF thread, it said to delete the config files that came with Engine Ignitor. Since this thread's config file included EI modules, was it also intended for the EI configs to be deleted? EI doesn't seem to work like I thought it would. I'm getting the impression I'm either missing some files, or the Stockalike RF Engine config isn't meant to add EI functionality except for limited restarts. I can't find any use for the hypergolic fluid. I also haven't seen anything in the config that would define pressurized tanks, and I have a feeling that'll cause problems that I haven't found yet.

Over in the RF thread, it said to delete the config files that came with Engine Ignitor. Since this thread's config file included EI modules, was it also intended for the EI configs to be deleted? EI doesn't seem to work like I thought it would. I'm getting the impression I'm either missing some files, or the Stockalike RF Engine config isn't meant to add EI functionality except for limited restarts. I can't find any use for the hypergolic fluid. I also haven't seen anything in the config that would define pressurized tanks, and I have a feeling that'll cause problems that I haven't found yet.

All of these engines have EI configs attached, so if EI comes with pre-defined configs you should delete them. I don't personally use EI, so I'm not 100% sure of how it works during gameplay, but simply using hypergolic fuels will not give you unlimited restarts. HoneyFox has said before (somewhere...) that the "ignitions" are an abstraction of how many restarts an engine is designed for. The Apollo SPS was designed for many restarts, but the RD-253 (Proton first-stage engine) is not. They both use hypergolics.

All of that said, you can adjust the EI settings in the XLS provided in the OP. There are instructions in the docs tab on how to force multiple restarts to show up in the configs. That should give you the restarts you wanted to have.

Hi Raptor,

I think solid-rocket motors are kind of broken. They don't have a menu in the Action-group manager. This might be intended but as you tweak their filling level and try to save it (as subassembly or as own craft), and reload the craft, the engine contains 100% fuel again.

Could you please have a look.

Hi Raptor,

I think solid-rocket motors are kind of broken. They don't have a menu in the Action-group manager. This might be intended but as you tweak their filling level and try to save it (as subassembly or as own craft), and reload the craft, the engine contains 100% fuel again.

That sounds like a Real Fuels issue. You might want to post your issue and post your extended log on the RF thread. You can post the logs here too, but if it is a RF issue, then I'm not really qualified to help there! :) I've had issues with SRBs and fuel levels, but I don't remember tweakable levels being an issue.

The SRBs have dedicated tanks with this config, which means the tank is tied to the engines for fuel. The tank popup doesn't appear because you'd never use a different fuel than the engine uses.

Hahahaha I just told Spanier to post here. RF doesn't do anything to solid rockets; any configs added will be an engine config pack. If you're not seeing the issue, I'm guessing there are duplicate configs hanging around.

An output_log.txt will tell us, though (or player.log on mac/nix).

Hi Raptor,

I see that NathanKell sent you this-a-way on the RF thread. :) Best bet is to post up an output_log.txt (or player.log) here and we'll see what we can do. I'll go and double check on my end to see if I'm simply missing it.

Hahahaha I just told Spanier to post here. RF doesn't do anything to solid rockets; any configs added will be an engine config pack.

Good to know. :) I've had some oddities with the Procedural Parts SRBs and tanks not behaving under certain circumstances, but usually a re-build or a save/reload will fix those. I tend to chalk those up to KSP .craft oddities/bugs.

EDIT: After testing this myself, Spanier seems to have found a bug.

To Reproduce:

1) Attach any engine that has a dedicated tank, so any SRB.

2) Adjust via tweakables the amount of fuel.

3) Remove SRB, then place back on the rocket.

At this point, the tank usage is reverted to full, so your edits don't take. Saving and reloading a craft does not help, and subassemblies are the same. PP solids are worse, but that's for another time.

In my config, all of the SRBs use the "dedicated = true" option in the tank, which I believe is the issue. If I used a plain tank (i.e. Jumbo 64) then the levels were saved just fine. Strangely, if the SRB is the root part, it works like you'd expect. :shrugs: (EDIT2: removed the dedicated tanks on my personal config and it worked correctly)

@Spanier: if you delete all of the "dedicated = true" (without the quotes) options in the stockalike config, does the issue go away?

Edited by Raptor831

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.