Stockalike RF Engine Configs v3.2.6 [01/20/19][RF v12]

Raptor831

I see that NathanKell sent you this-a-way on the RF thread. :) Best bet is to post up an output_log.txt (or player.log) here and we'll see what we can do. I'll go and double check on my end to see if I'm simply missing it.

Good to know. :) I've had some oddities with the Procedural Parts SRBs and tanks not behaving under certain circumstances, but usually a re-build or a save/reload will fix those. I tend to chalk those up to KSP .craft oddities/bugs.

EDIT: After testing this myself, Spanier seems to have found a bug.

To Reproduce:

1) Attach any engine that has a dedicated tank, so any SRB.

2) Adjust via tweakables the amount of fuel.

3) Remove SRB, then place back on the rocket.

At this point, the tank usage is reverted to full, so your edits don't take. Saving and reloading a craft does not help, and subassemblies are the same. PP solids are worse, but that's for another time.

In my config, all of the SRBs use the "dedicated = true" option in the tank, which I believe is the issue. If I used a plain tank (i.e. Jumbo 64) then the levels were saved just fine. Strangely, if the SRB is the root part, it works like you'd expect. :shrugs: (EDIT2: removed the dedicated tanks on my personal config and it worked correctly)

@Spanier: if you delete all of the "dedicated = true" (without the quotes) options in the stockalike config, does the issue go away?

This doesn't solve the problem. The menu for real fuels now shows up in the Action Group Manager, but you still can't edit the filling level there, and if you tweak it, it gets reset when you pick the sepratron up or save it in a subassembly.

This doesn't solve the problem. The menu for real fuels now shows up in the Action Group Manager, but you still can't edit the filling level there, and if you tweak it, it gets reset when you pick the sepratron up or save it in a subassembly.

Well, that's odd. :huh: As I said, the fix I suggested worked for me. Make sure you have the latest version of Real Fuels, just on the off chance something is going on there. Also be sure that you've only got 1 engine config in your GameData, or any other config that's adjusting the tanks/engines after the fact. Lastly, post up a log somewhere so we can check it out. You may also want to try a clean install with just RF+Stockalike to see if it's a mod conflict somewhere.

FYI, in the newer versions of RF (6.x+ I believe), the ability to partially fill tanks was removed from the Action Group Manager in favor of tweakables. It used to be there, but it is working properly if it is gone at the moment.

A few weeks ago I posted about the broken FX4L from space shuttle engines mod

(Line 15389, km_se4L)

You suggested me to add another @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]

So I added one, now I had

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0 and @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1

Good thing is now the second engine uses kerosene instead of LiquidFuel.

Bad thing is only the first engine module's fuel can be changed with the Realfuels GUI :(

So even if I've chosen LH2+LOX for the engine the second half of the engine is still gonna use Kerosene instead.

(Line 15389, km_se4L)

Bad thing is only the first engine module's fuel can be changed with the Realfuels GUI :(

So even if I've chosen LH2+LOX for the engine the second half of the engine is still gonna use Kerosene instead.

That had kind of slipped my mind. :blush: But I did hit up the RF main thread and NathanKell dropped an idea. I'll see if I can get his idea working and maybe post that up.

By the way , can you maybe always post an last updated-date in the thread so it is easier to see when you updated your RF config..

The update date is in the OP, but do you mean the thread title? (Which is probably a good idea...)

EDIT: Updated the thread title anyway. :) So it's now on the OP (right below the downloads) and in the thread title.

Edited by Raptor831

(Line 15389, km_se4L)

I think I have a solution for this. Try adding this config: http://cl.ly/code/421s2u473g0O It should work like the normal part but without the "dual" engines. If it works for you (it did for me), I'll roll the fix into the main config.

• 2 weeks later...
Raptor831, you might want to pick up the engine configs I removed from RF--like the B9 stuff, the NTRs (although you have your own NTR configs?), and TT's Vector Engine. Think that's it.

I just saw that over on your changelog. Was already heading in that direction. :)

Ok, for anyone who needs them, here are the stockalike configs that were removed from RF in the latest version: link to download. Probably best if you install to your /GameData/RealFuels/ folder, but they should work anywhere inside your GameData folder. This removes the LV-N from the Squad... configs (it's already in the main config) and adds a Jet_modularEngine.cfg which should catch any jet engine that doesn't have a specific config. If you want a more real jet simulation, go get Advanced Jet Engine. Works great, but was a bit too hard-mode for my tastes (or possibly skill :wink: ). These also do not affect cost.

I will be rolling these together with the main stockalike config in a big .zip file once I update it again (which will be as soon as all the mods I use are updated to .24). I'll have a tweak or two in there as well. I'll probably also add cost adjustments in the congifs based on the derived cost in the XLS. So your engines will at least be balanced with each other.

Ok, new config is up. This is tested with RF 7.x, but will probably work with 6.x. YMMV.

This also includes the new engines and solid rocket motors from KW Rocketry. I've also adjusted the stock single-nozzle 3.75m engine (I forget the name...) to be a L+ as opposed to an U engine. I like it there better.

I have not adjusted cost any at this point. It's still relying on your part mod to ensure balance. The costs in the XLS aren't looking like they'll mesh with the stock flavor very well, so for now I'll leave them alone.

As for jet engines, the new extra configs should take care of most. The RAPIER is not fully supported, as it still uses LF and Oxidizer for rocket mode. Other than that, currently those are simply what RF 7.x removed. I'm looking into making some adjustments there, but honestly AJE is a good option as well.

Sounds like a goodly amount of work ahead. Thank you for the effort Raptor, not sure if I thanked you for this already; but if so, thank you again!

You're welcome. :) Glad I could help out.

Any chance of this mod extending to cover monopropellant thrusters as well? I'm working on an integration of a ton of mods and that would be tremendously helpful.

Side note: this seems to be lacking in versatility of configurations. There are combinations that would be nice to have such as methane and N2O4. I'll be happy to contribute where I can but it may be a while.

Nice work! Keep it up! :)

Any chance of this mod extending to cover monopropellant thrusters as well? I'm working on an integration of a ton of mods and that would be tremendously helpful.

Side note: this seems to be lacking in versatility of configurations. There are combinations that would be nice to have such as methane and N2O4. I'll be happy to contribute where I can but it may be a while.

Nice work! Keep it up! :)

I've been working on some ModuleRCS magic with RF, so yeah, you uncovered my secret project. :wink: I'm not going to be able to release it until next week, as it still needs testing and I will be away from my KSP machine. But, yeah, all the mods mentioned in the OP should be supported. I'm deciding whether to release it as part of the Stockalike config or as something separate.

I've got Methalox as a mixture in my matrix, but I don't really know of any engines that would use it. I'd like to keep individual mods using the same fuel mixtures, if possible. I might be able to swap out the KSLO engines to use some methane, though. Which engines and mixtures specifically were you thinking about?

Raptor and some RD-180 derivatives.

I more meant which KSP engines should use Methalox (or other mixtures). As soon as a Raptor engine is in KSP it'll be in the config. :wink: Unless, of course, I've missed that one. There are a few models that could pass for an RD-180 (or derivative) though.

Hey, I did a MM patch for Kerbal Shuttle Orbiter System, if you're interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sqbk5496co5tq5/KSO_realfuels_v1.1.cfg

Nice! I haven't used the KSOS for a long time since it's so RAM heavy. May need to drop in those engines into my XLS and see what happens...

Nice! I haven't used the KSOS for a long time since it's so RAM heavy. May need to drop in those engines into my XLS and see what happens...

KSOS has you install Active Texture Management but then ships with an ATM config that turns off compression for its own parts. It'll fit better if you go into that config file and set "compress = true", "max_size_normals = 512", and so forth.

I've been working on some ModuleRCS magic with RF, so yeah, you uncovered my secret project. :wink: I'm not going to be able to release it until next week, as it still needs testing and I will be away from my KSP machine. But, yeah, all the mods mentioned in the OP should be supported. I'm deciding whether to release it as part of the Stockalike config or as something separate.

Great work, Raptor! It was your mod that allowed me to finally start using RealFuels.

Quick request though. With the RCS update you plan on releasing, can you also please include the ability to configure RCS ports as Nitrogen or Helium cold gas thrusters? I'd like to use them for upper stage attitude control systems, like on the Falcon 9R.

KSOS has you install Active Texture Management but then ships with an ATM config that turns off compression for its own parts. It'll fit better if you go into that config file and set "compress = true", "max_size_normals = 512", and so forth.

Oh, I could probably make it run, I just would rather install a few other parts instead! :) KSOS is one of the best looking mods I've seen, but I found for the "price" I liked building my own shuttle.

Great work, Raptor! It was your mod that allowed me to finally start using RealFuels.

Quick request though. With the RCS update you plan on releasing, can you also please include the ability to configure RCS ports as Nitrogen or Helium cold gas thrusters? I'd like to use them for upper stage attitude control systems, like on the Falcon 9R.

Thanks! Most of the hard work is done by the Real Fuels/Realism Overhaul group, though. Can't take too much credit. :wink:

As of right now, the config includes everything the Realism Overhaul configs do except helium. (See here for their config) Haven't had a chance to add helium, but I can. Might as well for completeness.

I've got Methalox as a mixture in my matrix, but I don't really know of any engines that would use it. I'd like to keep individual mods using the same fuel mixtures, if possible. I might be able to swap out the KSLO engines to use some methane, though. Which engines and mixtures specifically were you thinking about?

I tend towards the KW engines and like the idea of methane as a propellant because of the high TWR. For orbital, ammonia is preferable, in turn because of a high ISP. as for oxidizers, N2O and N2O4 are both good because of the higher number of oxygen atoms to react with the propellant and the byproducts are chemically inert (keeps them kerbals healthy). There's even a precedent for solid fuel boosters having compressed gasses of N2O stored in the core of the propellant to increase initial thrust. once it burns off they revert to free oxidizing with the atmosphere. Any and all of these would be nice but im mostly interested in radial engines and thrusters that can use MMH, Hydrozine, and other such propellants. I'm working on a martian-like project that they would be ideally suited for for landers.

Ill likely use LLL's radial rocket thruster or something very similar that I make myself.

Edited by CSVoltage

I tend towards the KW engines and like the idea of methane as a propellant because of the high TWR. For orbital, ammonia is preferable, in turn because of a high ISP. as for oxidizers, N2O and N2O4 are both good because of the higher number of oxygen atoms to react with the propellant and the byproducts are chemically inert (keeps them kerbals healthy). There's even a precedent for solid fuel boosters having compressed gasses of N2O stored in the core of the propellant to increase initial thrust. once it burns off they revert to free oxidizing with the atmosphere. Any and all of these would be nice but im mostly interested in radial engines and thrusters that can use MMH, Hydrozine, and other such propellants. I'm working on a martian-like project that they would be ideally suited for for landers.

Ill likely use LLL's radial rocket thruster or something very similar that I make myself.

As for the small engines that use Hydrazine and related, I have the RLA pack with many engines like that set up. I'll have to check out ammonia to see what I can do about that. Like I said, I'm planning on making the KSOS engines use methane to be sure there are some engines that use that propellant. The KW engines currently are modeled after an ESA-type setup, so they use kerolox, UDMH/N2O4, and Hydrolox.

All that being said, you can grab the XLS I use ad adjust the engines you want to use whatever fuels you'd like. Instructions are in the XLS itself. If you do, let me know what you end up with!

As for the small engines that use Hydrazine and related, I have the RLA pack with many engines like that set up. I'll have to check out ammonia to see what I can do about that. Like I said, I'm planning on making the KSOS engines use methane to be sure there are some engines that use that propellant. The KW engines currently are modeled after an ESA-type setup, so they use kerolox, UDMH/N2O4, and Hydrolox.

All that being said, you can grab the XLS I use ad adjust the engines you want to use whatever fuels you'd like. Instructions are in the XLS itself. If you do, let me know what you end up with!

Ok. I see why u use different mixes for dif manufacturers. That said, i'm working on a procedural config that will add all rocket configs to anything with ModuleEngine and anything hypergolig to all thrusters. All using ModuleManager's "math" function. The code should be really short and tidy if I do it right. I am basing my values off yours to keep with the stock-alike playability. I will definitly share when I'm done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.