Stockalike RF Engine Configs v3.2.6 [01/20/19][RF v12]

Raptor831

Since you are all busy with the effects and solving it through Real Plumes, you might want to know about this incompatiblity that I've found for the current install through CKAN: #98. Hope it helps!

Answered this on the issue, but basically this is a "known issue". Short version is that ModuleEngineFX (which Real Plume - Stock uses) doesn't have ullage/ignitions/etc.

And on that note, I'm in the process of getting a Linux install working so I can play with even more mods. :wink: So, right now, I'm not agressively working on Stockalike. Judging by the lack of bug reports, I'm assuming that these are working well enough at the moment. By this weekend I should be up and running, so after that it'll be back to normal.

And on that note, I'm in the process of getting a Linux install working so I can play with even more mods. :wink: So, right now, I'm not agressively working on Stockalike. Judging by the lack of bug reports, I'm assuming that these are working well enough at the moment. By this weekend I should be up and running, so after that it'll be back to normal.

Lol, good choice :D

Next thing you will find yourself shopping for delicious new RAM sticks^^

Answered this on the issue, but basically this is a "known issue". Short version is that ModuleEngineFX (which Real Plume - Stock uses) doesn't have ullage/ignitions/etc.

Awesome :D

I'm also in the process of doing that right now but am encountering lots of problems along the way. It'd be nice once you're finished with yours, if you could come over to the Linux thread to help me out.

No pressure though!

The LVN clusters config doesn't allow the double LVN to be anything other than tech 3.

I have no idea why, the quad works just fine but is essentially identical in configs except that numbers are slightly more than twice as high.

The LVN clusters config doesn't allow the double LVN to be anything other than tech 3.

I have no idea why, the quad works just fine but is essentially identical in configs except that numbers are slightly more than twice as high.

Which part exactly is that, and what mod? I don't recall any NTR clusters that are in Stockalike, off the top of my head.

LVN Clusters is the mod name.

Hmm, I guess you're nto supporting it anymore based on the frontpage. Updating didn't remove the old config.

Hmm. I don't remember having a config for those. I can certainly put that on my list, though.

I submitted those. I'll look at them tonight if I get a chance.

Ah, those are newer as well. Explains why I didn't recognize them.

Might want to just try replacing ModuleEnginesFX with ModuleEnginesRF and see what that does. That's the only thing I could see after a quick glance.

KW solid ullage motor seems to still have ullage simulation enabled. Please check.

I checked the repo, and at least there the engines have ullage specifically turned off. Link: https://github.com/Raptor831/RFStockalike/blob/master/GameData/RealFuels/Stockalike_KWRocketry.cfg#L2551

Are you sure you're up to date? If you are, post your ModuleManager.cache section for the ullage motor as a start, and maybe one of your logs.

I checked the LV-N cluster engines and they worked fine in sandbox mode. I ran them back through the web-app so that they would have ModuleEnginesRF and anything else that has changed since 0.90. They worked, but no longer had any effects. Will all engines need a RealPlume config to show effects?

Edited by lurkoholic

I checked the repo, and at least there the engines have ullage specifically turned off. Link: https://github.com/Raptor831/RFStockalike/blob/master/GameData/RealFuels/Stockalike_KWRocketry.cfg#L2551

Are you sure you're up to date? If you are, post your ModuleManager.cache section for the ullage motor as a start, and maybe one of your logs.

hmm, I thought I was but apparently I wasn't. False alarm.

I checked the LV-N cluster engines and they worked fine in sandbox mode. I ran them back through the web-app so that they would have ModuleEnginesRF and anything else that has changed since 0.90. They worked, but no longer had any effects. Will all engines need a RealPlume config to show effects?

All engines that don't have an EFFECT{} node will need one, since ModuleEngineRF is based off of ModuleEnginesFX. RealPlume can add one, or HotRockets, or you can roll your own. RealPlume configs are pretty easy to set up (see their tutorials). If you write some, please share. I'm planning on compiling any configs for Stockalike specifically and releasing those with the config set, so I'll need help to get them all.

In the meantime, I'll update the LVN Cluster engines in the app to reflect your changes, since I got those engines you sent.

EDIT: They're in the app now permanently. If you want to submit the pull request from your fork (for proper recognition, since you did the work!) please do. Otherwise, I can drop those in.

hmm, I thought I was but apparently I wasn't. False alarm.

Ok, cool. Glad it was nothing. :) Please let me know, as always, if you find something that seems off. Better to check it out, especially with all the new changes.

Edited by Raptor831

Weird, they have effects just fine for me.

Hmm, I wonder if the problem is that file is out of date?

Weird, they have effects just fine for me.

Hmm, I wonder if the problem is that file is out of date?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. They worked for me with effects using the current release (which has an outdated .cfg for the LV-N cluster engines). I then updated the .cfg file for the LV-N cluster engines to use ModuleEngineRF, and that caused the effects to no longer work. Hopefully configuring them for RealPlume won't be too difficult. :)

Edit: Copying the RealPlume LV-N config by Svm420 worked pretty well. I'll just have to adjust the height of the plume/flare for the LV-N cluster engines. Also, I think the plume might expanded a little early (low in the atmosphere) on the NTR's since they all should have decent nozzles for use in vacuum.

Edited by lurkoholic

Hrm, so this is only happening to me then.

Ok, change to tech support request: HHow do i specifically set the max techlevel of an engine? I'd like to see if I can just override it

If the max level is not set, it should default to the highest possible. For NTRs, it's TL 8. The minimum TL for an NTR is 3, so that at least makes sense... I honestly forget how to set a max TL. I want to say it's in there, but I'd have to check Real Fuels again to make sure. Stockalike doesn't use that at all, to my knowledge.

Can you post the part in question from your ModuleManager.config file? It's odd that your engine is stuck at TL 3, and I want to see what the final part looks like.

http://pastebin.com/3ZsMzv8L this ended up being long.

Also: your configs appear to nerf the ion engine, but ONLY if Near Future Propulsion is installed, which led to some reallyw eird behavior with an old probe from before I installed it not behaving correctly. Edit: this is totally straightforward, the stockalike NFP confing only activates if NFP is installed, and has substantially different from stock values.

Edited by Requia

Also: your configs appear to nerf the ion engine, but ONLY if Near Future Propulsion is installed, which led to some reallyw eird behavior with an old probe from before I installed it not behaving correctly.

If there is an issue with the ion engine, that is my bad. Did you infer that something is wrong from looking at the configs alone or did you observe any weird behaviour ingame?

Also: your configs appear to nerf the ion engine, but ONLY if Near Future Propulsion is installed, which led to some reallyw eird behavior with an old probe from before I installed it not behaving correctly. Edit: this is totally straightforward, the stockalike NFP confing only activates if NFP is installed, and has substantially different from stock values.

Ok, basically the problem looks to be it's still using ModuleEngines and not ModuleEnginesRF. The ModuleEngineConfigs is trying to reference the MERF, which might cause issues too. Try changing the ModuleEngineConfigs part to reference ModuleEngines instead and see if that helps. Otherwise, I think you'll have to just update to the dev version and wait for a plume.

I haven't messed with electric engines because I have no idea how to scale those things. They're already way overpowered compared to reality, but considering gameplay I'm not sure we'd want to have 16-hour long burns to worry about. None of my mass/thrust calcs work for an electric engine. I'm not knowledgeable enough in electric propulsion to come up with those calcs, so I ended up leaving it alone.

snip

Well, the configs *should* not do anything to nerf the ion engine - it does get a thrust reduction to 1.3kN when NFP is installed however, since it would not fit in with the rest of the NFP engines otherwise (that's one of Nertea's patches set with :FINAL to incorporate our fixes, basically). Apart from that, all Xenon engines have their EC consumption modified to compensate for RF's density change to Xenon - thrust is not reduced for those engines at all, they behave pretty much like they do in stock.

If there is an issue with the ion engine, that is my bad. Did you infer that something is wrong from looking at the configs alone or did you observe any weird behaviour ingame?

The capture burn that was supposed to take ~13 minutes was going to take 20, and the fuel/electric ratio was completely different. Though I guess this is actually NFP doing that and you're just duplicating (I stopped checking once I found it) so that's on Nertea for making a weird design choice by altering stock parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.